Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MV Amerika lost at sea 22nd April 1943

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Amerika lost at sea 22nd April 1943

Can anyone help with identifying where - and what - this vessel was doing when it was (I believe) torpedoed on 22nd April 1943? My aged Mum (91) had a much loved brother - Alfred Griffiths - who was on board as a Third Radio Officer; we all understood that it was on the infamous Northern Passage, but I have discovered that a number of Canadian Airmen were on board, and can't understand why - anyone able to give me a steer?

Also, I have gleened that a vessel called the Amerika early in the 20th Century radioed a warning of icebergs to the Titanic - and was told 'Don't bother us'! How do I find out if the vessels are the same, since there do seem to be two or three ships with the name 'Amerika' - at least one with the prefix 'MV' and another with the prefix 'MS'?

You may have gathered that I am not a seaman myself - I am trying to piece some things together for my Mum before things get too late.

2. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob,

I suggest that you go to http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/eac/eac1930-1939.htm for details of the Amerika built 1930, which is the one lost in the war. The vessel belonged to Danish East Asiatic company, but was managed by United Baltic Corporation, London, as Denmark was occupied, MS and MV mean the same, the Scandinavians use MS = motor ship, the British MV = motor vessel.

If you go onto http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/index.html you will find more about the convoy and Amerika's previous voyages. Convoys were often routed that far north in an attempt to avoid U-boats.

Regards,

Roy

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Michael Turner, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roy - many thanks for the info - intriguing to see a photograph - although the whole sad episode gets worse, the more you look at it...

Bob

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV "Amerika" lost at sea 22April 1943

Bob,
    Here are a few bits of 'meat' to put on the bones of the above query.
    The "Amerika" in question was only built in 1930 so that discounts the "Titanic" connection. Her position when sunk was south of Cape Farewell at the southern tip of Greenland which was the recognised route for convoys from Halifax N.S. a position which may well have given rise to the N.W.Passage idea.
    of 10,218 tons she was built for a Danish company, but was seized by Britain and transferred to the
    Ministry of War Transport. She was carring 8,844 tons of general cargo, including metal, flour, wheat and 200 bags of mail. At 01.54 on 22 April under command of her Master, Christian Neilsen, she was straggling from convoy HX-234 when torpedoed and sunk by U-306 south of Cape Farewell. 42 crew members, 7 gunners, and 37 passengers (Royal Canadian Air Force personnel) were lost. The Master, 29 crew members, 8 gunners and 16 passengers were picked up by HMS"Asphodel" and laded at Greenock. The Master was awarded the Lloyds War Medal for bravery at sea. She had left Halifax on the 14 April and was bound for Liverpool.
    The main Information is taken from uboat net. I imagine the National Archives at Kew may well hold documents relating to this sinking. Hope the information helps.
    Good hunting,
    Ray Lloyd

7. Likes Daniel Egan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ray - many thanks for your inout - I pursued the U-Boat net link and found that the 'Kapotanleutenant' of U306 (the U-Boat responsible, part of a 'wolf-pack of 12 submarines 'hunting' the convoy) was in fact the same age as my Mother's brother - and he and his crew were in turn blown up and destroyed in October of the same year. The whole thing becomes more desparate - and an incredible waste of good folk - the more you get into it.

Many thanks,

Bob

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Amerika

This is regarding your posting about the Royal Merchant Navy vessel Amerika which was sunk on April 22 1943. They have a memorial at Tower Hill London to the men who lost their lives that day, my Uncle John was on board that ship. The story I was told by my family is that the ship was sunk by a U-Boat in the Irish Sea, not sure how many men were lost. Only that my Uncle (John Bell) was an assistant store keeper and 18 years old, he died trying to help a fellow shipmate. My Mum told me that they were coming back from the US after picking up supplies for England. Nothing was mentioned about guys from Canada being on board, my sister is the one doing family research, if she finds out anything else I will let you know.

Regards,
    Teresa Terrones
    USA

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Amerika HX-234 U-306 RCAF officers embarked

Dear Bob,
    I've been working on the story of Amerika on and off for 15+ years. Maxonian's summary is accurate. The Amerika of 1912 was a different ship.

MV Amerika of 1930 had accomodations for passengers as well as cargo and thus was used as a troopship. She was sailing in HX-234 when torpedoed by U-306 just shy of midnight GMT near Greenland (definitely not the Irish Sea!). I have been researching mostly the story of the RCAF officers aboard, and have interviewed five survivors. Have today found useful links to HMS Asphodel (corvette that rescued them). If you still seek more detail contact me.

David Colwell
    Remembering Project

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tower Hill. Panel 7

ANDERSEN, Second Radio Officer, KJELD J., M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 39.

ANDERSEN, Able Seaman, POUL, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 26. Son of Poul Ludwig Andersen and Anine Wilhelmine Andersen.

ANDERSSON, Boatswain (Bosun), NILS EDVIN, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 63. Husband of Anna Elizabeth Andersson (nee Peterson), of Copenhagen, Denmark.

ARNASON, Ordinary Seaman, GEIR, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 17.

BELDRING, Able Seaman, MOGENS, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd February 1943. Age 22. Son of Alfred Carl Johannes Beldring and Justa Elisabeth Beldring, of Saedding, Esbjerg, Denmark.

BELL, Assistant Storekeeper, JOHN, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 18. Son of William Bell, and of Margaret Bell, of Liverpool.

CALVERT, Steward, GORDON CLIFFORD, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 28. Son of W. G. and Gertrude A. Calvert, of Abbey Wood, Kent.

CHRISTENSEN, Cook, WALTER, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 22. Son of Inga E. S. Christensen, of Copenhagen, Denmark.

CHRISTIANSEN, Junior Engineer Officer, HENRY, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 29. Son of Anton and Martha Christiansen, of Horsens, Denmark.

DAW, Steward, BERNARD AUGUSTINE, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 21. Son of Charles and Johanna Daw, of Cardiff.

DEVLIN, Steward, JOSEPH, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 28.

DONOVAN, Steward, CHARLES PATRICK, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 21.

FREDERIKSEN, Greaser, JENS, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 21.

GANTZEL, Stewardess, ELSE, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 38.

GERDA-WISCHKE, Assistant Stewardess, HENRIETTE, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 29. Daughter of G. and Juliane Gerda-Wischke, of Holte, Denmark.

GORAN, Steward, JACK, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 29.

GREGERSEN, Assistant Cook, EVALD, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 24.

GRIFFITHS, Third Radio Officer, ALFRED JAMES, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 29. Son of James and Annie Griffiths, of Ashley, Staffordshire.

HORN, Steward, ANKER, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 20. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Max W. Horn, of Copenhagen, Denmark.

JENSEN, Junior Engineer Officer, CARLO ARNFRED, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 31. Son of Jens Marius Jensen and Ingeborg Jensen, of Holstebro, Denmark; husband of Verona Jensen, of Aalsgaarde, Denmark.

JENSEN, Steward, GUNNI E. R., M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 19.

JOHANSEN, Able Seaman, JENS, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 26.

JOHNSEN, Junior Engineer Officer, EMIL, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 39. Son of Christian Emil J. Johnsen and of Annesse Johnsen (nee Eliasan); husband of Dagny K. M. Johnsen, of Copenhagen, Denmark.

KING, Assistant Steward, HAROLD GELDERD, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 34. Son of James and Lizzie King; husband of Elizabeth Scott King, of Wavertree, Liverpool.

KRISTENSEN, Junior Engineer Officer, KARL MARINUS, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 43. Son of Kristine Petersen; husband of Magda Kristensen, of Copenhagen, Denmark.

LARSEN, Purser (Senr.), EDMUND, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 51. Son of Oluf Emil and Hanne Elizabeth Larsen; husband of Karen Sofie Larsen, of Copenhagen, Denmark.

LEVY, Steward, JOE, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 37. Son of Rheuben and Maria Levy.

MAHER, Bartender, PATRICK, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 38. Son of Thomas Maher, and of Annie Maher (nee Hayes), of Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary, Irish Republic.

MOGENSEN, Electrician, SVEND AAGE, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 42. Son of Jens Peter and Anna Margrethe Modensen; husband of Ruth Dagny Mogensen.

MUHRING, Chief Engineer Officer, ERNST, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 21st April 1943. Age 46. Son of Johan Karl Fridrich Muhring and of Laura Juliane Muhring (nee Wismar); husband of Kamilla Muhring, of Copenhagen, Denmark. His brother Johan perished with him.

MUHRING, Third Engineer Officer, JOHAN, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 21st April 1943. Age 31. Son of Johan Karl Fridrich Muhring and of Laura Juliane Muhring (nee Wismar); husband of Marie Muhring (nee Rav), of Nyborg, Denmark. His brother Ernst perished with him.

PEDERSEN, Greaser, LEO, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 37.

PETERSEN, Steward, GEORGE, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 28.

PUGE, Third Engineer Officer, KNUD AAGE, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 34. Son of Lars and Sigrid Puge, of Nakskov, Denmark.

RASMUSSEN, Greaser, KARL, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 33.

RICHARDT, Baker, CARL, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 37.

SCHLICHTER, Assistant Cook, TOMMY O., M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 19.

SELMER, Assistant Cook, HERSCHEL HENRY, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 29. Husband of Ethel May Selmer, of Cwmbran. Monmouthshire.

SORENSEN, Able Seaman, KNUD BAUER, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 24. Son of Rasmus Ducinius Sorensen and Sofie Sorensen, of Gorlev, Denmark.

SORENSEN, Chief Cook, SOPHUS WILLIAM CHRISTIAN, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 48. Son of Benelt and Sofie Sorensen, of Hvidovre, Copenhagen; husband of Sara Sorensen, of Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark.

STAINTHORPE, Assistant Cook, ARTHUR, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 22. Son of Arthur and Alice Stainthorpe, of Whetley Hill, Bradford, Yorkshire.

STROE-NIELSEN, Carpenter, EJNAR, M.V. Amerika (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd April 1943. Age 37. Husband of Aase Stroe-Nielsen, of Dragor, Denmark.

DEMS Gunners commemorated various Naval Memorials

CAMERON, Gunner, JOHN, 1816240, 4 Maritime Regt., Royal Artillery. 22 April 1943.

DRURY, Able Seaman, DENNIS FREDERICK, C/JX 334386. H.M.S. President III. Royal Navy. Lost in M.V. Amerika 22nd April 1943. Age 20. Son of Frederick and Ethel Florence Drury, of Lewisham, London

GATHERUM, Able Seaman, DAVID FRANCIS, C/JX 391975. M.V. Amerika. Royal Navy. 22nd April 1943. Son of David and Madeline Gatherum, of Dundee,

STONE, Sergeant, FREDERICK HAROLD, Mentioned in Despatches, PLY/2 1231.. H.M.S. President III. Royal Marines. lost in M.V. Amerika. 22nd April 1943. Age 38. Son of Charles and Mary Ann Stone; husband of Annie Stone, of Malvern Link, Worcestershire.

TANSEY, Able Seaman, DENNIS, D/JX 306849. H.M.S. President III. Royal Navy. lost in M.V. Amerika. 22nd April 1943. Age 19.

TURNER, Gunner, RAYMOND, 4695440, 4 Maritime Regt., Royal Artillery. 22 April 1943. Age 28. Son of George and Agnes Turner, of Leeds, Yorkshire; husband of Lilian Turner, of Leeds

WALLIS, Able Seaman, ROY, D/JX 337670. H.M.S. President III. Royal Navy. lost in M.V. Amerika. 22nd April 1943. Age 20.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Michael Turner, Peter Ross liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Thank you for this information

Thanks for this information as I have been trying to find out which ship my Uncle John Cameron died on and how for years, and just stumbled across this one. Your information was very helpful.

17. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Amerika

Hi Teresa,

Have you been to see the memorial in London?

Will

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast