Thread: Pacific Steam Navigation Co. Records (1895-1915)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pacific Steam Navigation Co. Records (1895-1915)

Hello,
    I love the sea like many of you, and the storys that sailed or sank. In my case, for long time I wanted to know how my great-grandfather had born in a small medieval Spanish village and turned in steward of the PSNC between 1895 and 1915, living some years in Liverpool. I preserve two old photos on board with others crew members (1910?), but I dont know recognize the ship or the date. Though I live in Spain and do not speak well the English, I think that the best source for my case is the Merseyside Maritime Museum, which has a record for the PSNC with photos and crew lists (sheet n. 14). Someone can help me or advise me? What do you think?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Alberto Pereiras; 16th July 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default welcome!

Hi Alberto
    Welcome to this site,and i hope that you may soon get a lot more info on your query!
    I hope that this Link may be of some use,but the records for those Years are i think not available>
    However at reading through it ,looks like there may be something for the Years you are talking abaout! IE

Research guide C13: The Merchant Navy: Tracing merchant seamen: Sources of information in the National Maritime Museum : The Merchant Navy : Research guides : The Library : Researchers : NMM

However the National Maritime Museum has records that will be of use to the family historian, although it is worth bearing in mind that, apart from the Marine Society archive (see below), the Museum has no records relating to merchant seamen before 1860. We hold crew lists for the following years only: 1861, 1862, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1955, 1965 and 1975.

There are many here with a lot more knowledge on all this,and i am sure they will respond to you!
    All the best,and good luck!
    Cheers

Not sure if these may be the Ships you mention!

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...Orissa-03.html

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20.../Orita-06.html

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20.../Orita-05.html

You may try and Email this person as he too is looking for very similar thing!

George Edwin Chesterman : ss Orellana and ss Victoria

I am researching family history. My grandfather, George Edwin Chesterman, was a steward and then Chief Steward on the PSNC Royal Mail ships Orellana and Victoria from 1895 to 1905. He was born on 30/05/1878 and died, aged 90, in Chester on 2/06/1968. I know this is way before most of the information on your site but any help in finding photos, etc from that period would be appreciated. It seems the Maritime Museum in Liverpool only has 2 photos. I do have a copy of the excellent book Merchant Fleets 8 although it took me years to find. Ian Chesterman
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you very much, you are very kind. I hope this Link or other members can help me. This they are exactly the ships I search...Thanks. This site is brilliant! Do you think there are researchers who usually goes to Merseyside Maritime Museum and can research my ancestor? All the best.
    Last edited by Alberto Pereiras; 30th June 2011 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Youre Welcome

Hi
    There may well be someone who would perhaps try and help you by going to the Liverpool MMuseum.
    As there are many here that i am sure live close by !
    All the best in your quest!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530