Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: To Kick Start this!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To Kick Start this!

Sea trading goes back to before biblical times.
    The first trading rules I am aware of are the 'Laws of Oleron'.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: H.M. The King’s Message. September. 1939

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    "In these anxious days I would like to express to all Officers and Men and in The British Merchant Navy and The British Fishing Fleets my confidence in their unfailing determination to play their vital part in defense. To each one I would say: Yours is a task no less essential to my people’s experience than that allotted to the Navy, Army and Air Force. Upon you the Nation depends for much of its foodstuffs and raw materials and for the transport of its troops overseas. You have a long and glorious history, and I am proud to bear the title “Master of the Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets” I know that you will carry out your duties with resolution and with fortitude, and that high chivalrous traditions of your calling are safe in your hands. God keep you and prosper you in your great task."

H.M. The King’s Message. September. 1939
    The story of how we came to carry the name Merchant Navy is an interesting one. During the First World War, the Germans somehow forgot to invade Holland, which remained neutral throughout the war, and the Britain-Holland ferry service continued to operate. In 1915, the ferry "Brussels" was on passage from Harwich to Holland when U-33 surfaced and ordered her to Heave-to. The Master, Capt. Algernon Fryatt, altered course and attempted to ram the U-boat, which was forced to crash-dive. The following year, "Brussels" was leaving the Hook of Holland when someone on the shore was seen flashing a light to seaward. Shortly after, "Brussels" was surrounded by German warships, and Capt. Fryatt was captured and put on trial, charged with being a "Franc-tireur" i.e. a person who is not in a military force, but who attacks a military force.

The trial was a farce. It lasted one day. Fryatt's "lawyer" was a serving German army officer. Capt. Fryatt was not allowed to speak in his own defence, even though he was acting in accordance with Admiralty orders. He was pronounced "Guilty" and shot by firing squad the next day. Shortly after, the British parliament passed a law requiring merchant seamen to wear uniform, so as to deprive the Germans of the "Franc-tireur" accusation against merchant seamen.

When the casualty rate among merchant seamen, which was higher than that of any armed force, was brought to the attention of King George V, he approved an Order-in-Council of 13th December 1921, granting us the right to call ourselves the Merchant Navy. This was re-enforced by the Kings Charter of 18th August 1930, which stated that "The Merchant Navy is a uniformed Imperial Service of the Crown. The Prince of Wales was appointed as the Admiral of the Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets.

The Geneva Conventions at that time did not mention merchant seamen as a separate group, but rather lumped them in with waggoneers, sutlers, and other "camp followers". However, the Geneva Convention (III) of 1949 specifically states in Article IV, that merchant seaman, Pilots and Apprentices, and the crews of civilian aircraft, are entitled to the same protection of the Geneva Convention as are members of the Armed Forces if they are taken prisoner. I am not aware whether any merchant seafarer has ever availed themselves of the protection of Article IV.

I am not a lawyer, but I would advise any Merchant Navy persons who are asked to sail into a War Zone, or into a potential War Zone, to DEMAND that their rights under the Geneva Convention, be appended to the Articles of AgreementContract of Employment.

The Canadian Merchant Navy lost 12000 men and women during the Second World War. At the end of the war, the Canadian government told their merchant seafarers that they were not "Veterans" and therefore not entitled to Veterans benefits. Never trust a government, or a ship-owner to protect your interests.

4. Thanks N/A, John Gill, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Roger Millard liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

An earlier thread:

Merchant Navy 100

From 2019.

It was 100 years ago that King George V, “the Sailors King”, spoke about the commitment of the Merchant Navy and its courageous seafarers. This was not the first time his Royal Highness promoted recognition and awareness for all who served in the Merchant Navy, a term the King promoted that was later adopted across the world.

https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...22=#post332780

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 22nd April 2020 at 04:52 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Knight View Post

The Geneva Conventions at that time did not mention merchant seamen as a separate group, but rather lumped them in with waggoneers, sutlers, and other "camp followers". However, the Geneva Convention (III) of 1949 specifically states in Article IV, that merchant seaman, Pilots and Apprentices, and the crews of civilian aircraft, are entitled to the same protection of the Geneva Convention as are members of the Armed Forces if they are taken prisoner. I am not aware whether any merchant seafarer has ever availed themselves of the protection of Article IV

Interesting, thanks Alan.

In the neutral Netherlands, the ‘Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant’ described it as arbitrary and unjust, while the ‘Handelsblad Holland’ summed it up as a cowardly murder inspired by hatred and revenge. In Switzerland, the ‘Journal de Genève’ commented: It is monstrous to maintain that armed forces have a right to murder civilians but that civilians are guilty of a crime in defending themselves.

A bit more RE: Capt. Fryatt etc: https://forgottenwrecks.maritimearch...captain-fryatt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To Kick Start this!

Alan #52, with most shipping today crewed by overseas crew I doubt many of them would have even heard of the Geneva Convention, let alone what is in it.

But as is always the case with such there will be those who will not abide by it.
    Bit like UN and NATO, sounds good on paper but that is about all.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6