Aug 2019
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Merchant Navy Memories - Deckie Learner

45 Comments by Peter Copley Published on 24th May 2021 10:02 AM
    I joined the Merchant Navy in August 1959 as a cabin boy having failed on account of my defective colour vision to get into the Royal Navy and onto the deck department of the Merchant Navy. That was until Captain T R Rowe of Runciman’s offered to sign me on as a cadet. I explained my colour vision problem and obviously could not accept his offer, but I told him, I would love to be a deckhand. Tommy Rowe was sympathetic and agreed to sign me on a deck boy (Peggie). That was the best time I spent at sea, I just loved being on deck.

12 months later I attended the Shipping Federation Mann Island Liverpool to sign on another ship as an Ordinary Seaman. I remember vividly the day the Federation doctor looking at my Seaman’s Discharge Book and saying, “You haven’t got the B.O.T colour vision stamp in your book.” He tested my colour perception and I failed it once again. He said, “Sorry son, you cannot go back in the deck department.” I had no other choice, either to be a steward, a cook or training for the engine room or leave the sea.

Feeling bitterly disappointed I went home to contemplate my future at sea. That same evening, I went to the pictures at the Burnley Odeon. The ‘B’ supporting film was a drama-documentary about two trawlers out of Hull. The skipper on one boat was the father of the skipper on the other boat. They were fishing in friendly rivalry. The film was in Technicolour, the sea and sky were blue and life on the trawlers seemed pretty good to me. I thought at the time, “I bet trawlermen don’t have to pass a colour vision test.”

The very next day I set off early for Fleetwood. I called at every office on Dock Street looking for a job on the fishing boats; Boston Deep Sea Fisheries, John Marrs, Hewitt, Iago Steam Trawlers, Wyre Trawlers, etc. Knocking on the door saying, “I’m a deckhand from the Merchant Navy, I have an oilskin, Sou’wester and wellies.” They looked at me, 9 stone wet through, smiled and said, “No, sorry, sonny, there are no jobs for you.”

Disappointed once again, I called in at the Fleetwood Arms for a pint before travelling home. At the bar, I met a local guy. He asked me where was I from and what was I doing in Fleetwood? I told him about what the trawler companies had said.
    He said, “I’ll get you a job on the trawlers. I know the Ship’s Husband for John Marrs. He comes in here every lunchtime at 12. He knows me and he’ll sign you on.”
    I was sceptical but I bought the man a pint for good measure. He said to me, “You know, you are buying me a pint, but a couple of years back I was a millionaire. I won the pools, £75,000 and I spent the lot. I’d buy everyone in the pub a drink, I had 200 followers and I’d put a £200 bet on a horse.”

Of course, back in 1962, £75,000 was equivalent to a million quid today and £200 was like, more than two months wages for the average working man.
    He said, “Within a few months I’d spent the lot and I’m now broke.”
    I wasn’t too sure if he was BSing me, but I found out later he had won £75,000 on Littlewoods Pools and had spent the lot!

True to his words at 12 noon on the dot, through the door came two men. One was Charlie (Chuck) Wilson and another man. The ex-millionaire introduced me to Chuck, he was the Ship’s Husband for John Marrs. Chuck looked me over and asked, “Can you sail tomorrow?”
    I said yes, I could.
    He said, “My son (also called Charlie) is going to sea tomorrow for the first time, you’ll be good company for him. Sign on the MT Armana tomorrow morning as a Deckie Learner.”
    And that was that, I signed on a brand-new trawler, the skipper was Victor Buschini and at 25 years of age, he was the youngest skipper in Fleetwood.

Within 36 hours I was back at sea heading for Iceland and the Arctic.

Talk about a culture shock, without any training and proper weatherproof clothing, I was a sea-sick brassie heading for the most treacherous seas on the planet. I could not believe how hard life on a trawler was. How rough the seas were. As you seafarers will know, deep sea fishing is not only the most dangerous job in Britain, it’s the most dangerous job on earth. (A couple of years later, as a radio operator, I found out how dangerous life on the trawlers could be, but that’s another story). You are 17 times more likely to be killed on a fishing boat than the jobs ashore. In 1962 profit was more important than safety at sea. Should a trawler sink, there was very little compensation for the wives and families of the lost fishermen. The owners called it, ‘An Act of God’.

24-hour long watches (and longer), no watch below, falling asleep stood on your feet, freezing icy seas. Tons of water crashing onto the deck. On the sidewinders, the fish were dropped and gutted on the open deck. It was dangerous work, very dangerous.

The skipper, mate, bosun and the sparehands were the roughest, toughest men I have ever known. Fishing in force 9 – 10 gales, while the big ‘snappers’ from Hull, Grimsby, Aberdeen and Peterhead were ‘laid and dodging’ in the Lee of the land. The Fleetwood men on their little side-winding trawlers never stopped fishing come hell, ice or high waves.

The wives of fishermen are tough women too, being both mother and father to their kids while their husbands are away at sea for 21 days a time with only 3 days at home before heading back to sea again, never knowing if their men would come home. Superstitious, the wives never waved their men off to sea, in case they waved them away for good, nor would they wash their men’s clothing on sailing day.

‘Never wash on sailing day or you will wash your man away.’ My mother learned this from one of my Fleetwood girlfriends, so my mum never washed my clothes on sailing day, neither did my wife later on.

I was not cut out to be a trawlerman. I could hardly lift the cod, juggling with the slippery fish as it slipped and slithered on my oilskin, trying to gut it. Not strong enough to throw the heavy fish into the bath, using two hands instead of one hand to throw it up on the bath. After spending 4 minutes trying to gut a haddock the skipper called down from the wheelhouse, “Well, did you find out what it died of?!”

From the trawlers, I attended the radio college in Manchester PMG 2nd class, any gross tonnage. After qualifying, my girlfriend persuaded me to return to the trawlers instead of going deep sea so I would be home every 3 weeks. I agreed and sailed on several trawlers as a radio operator.

What happened to the girl who asked me to go back fishing and then three trips later insisted that I get a job ashore. I told her to FO. Well, that’s for another day. 'Till then, happy sailing.
    PC R710198

2. Total Comments 45

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re: Merchant Navy Memories - Deckie Learner

Hi everyone. The title of my article should read Deckie Learner, not Dickie Learner, a Freudian Slip on my part maybe as I felt a little more than Dickie on my First trip to Iceland!! regards PC R710198.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Memories - Deckie Learner

Changed Title for you
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1...I had the colour blind test in 1952 and was never tested for such again as far as I can remember.. you don’t go colour blind you are born that way.The only test for merchant seamen used to be the deck people .Engineroom and catering staffs was unnecessary. Today however it is mandatory for engineroom also. Due I suppose to the amount of coloured wiring in engine spaces and the colouring of areas . Originally the predominant colours in the test were red and green for obvious reasons. JS

Seem to remember there are only 5 real colours which were Red , blue , green, indigo, and Violet, black and white were never considered colours. Think it may refer to the colours in a rainbow. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th May 2021 at 01:00 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correct John.
    Black is the absence of light, whilst white is the presence, not many realise that.

Sparkies have to do a color test as well, red, yellow and green wires.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Correct John.

Sparkies have to do a color test as well, red, yellow and green wires.
    Yes John, but you don't have to distinquish them at 10/15 miles away when they are just a dot and refraction can change their characteristics. 10/15 milea away may seem a lot but when you have two vessels approaching at 15knots each, time soon passes. So it is just more than being able to tell red from green or white, you have to assess from the position they lay relative to each other which way the other vessel is heading so that you can take avoiding action, if any required. Don't forget you cannot see the other vessel, you can only see dots of light, which in the beginning are no bigger than a pin head. Sparkies can hold their coloured wires close to their face, if you do that as a navigator it's already too late!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The modern day ex R/O the same as the leckies now come under the Engine Room as far as I was aware , and as engineers have to have sight tests would imagine it would apply to all. The first I knew about engineers being subject to colour blind tests was when one I knew was able to obtain redundancy rather than just losing his job by the company going legs in the air. This was about 1986. It was when they were paying small amounts of money to try and get people out of the federation. He managed to claim his redundancy through the mnopf and not the paltry federation pay outs . JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 Colour Vision. The funny thing about being colour blind (red-green in my case) is that I didn't know I was colour blind until tested, I've spoken about it in my previous article (A Colour-blind Sea Cadet). I could see all the primary colours in my paintbox, including green and red, and still can see all the colours around me today. It's a minor deficiency that for me has had massive consequences when choosing the profession I wanted. However, I've got through life and jobs being colour blind, including being a Sparky and a fireman. The fire brigade doctor, a former seaman himself, turned a blind eye to the defect when I joined the brigade and as I said before, in the 28 years in the fire service the fact I was colour blind didn't adversely affect me once. Although I do understand the consequences of not being able to distinguish one colour from another, especially at sea. You mentioned that Sparkies are now tested, I wasn't tested and there are lots of colours on a resistor that needed to be identified. ie the pneumonic for the colour code is, 'black b******'s rape our young girls but virgins grow wiser'; black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey, white. I must admit I struggled with that but got around it by asking someone 'Excuse me, what colour is that, I'm not sure without my specs.' PC R710198. PS when I think of the pneumonic above, taught to us at the radio college when we had a Nigerian student, wouldn't go down so well nowadays! The PC police would be onto the teacher in no time flat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 and #8 I am not saying that people who are colour blind or partially colour blind should not be employed at sea, (or any other profession) but the tests for navigators should remain stringent, even more so now that speeds of approach are even greater, yes we have radar, true motion etc and you may be able to discern direction of the approaching vessel from the image on the PPI, but you have to take into consideration that through one failure of another you may not have the advantage of a PPI.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 As regards R/0s Peter I don’t think I have sailed with one after 1983 and that included 2 foreign going vessels, didn’t even carry an electrician but they were foreign flag. All voice radio. They must still exist and the only place I would surmise they are would be on passenger vessels for passenger needs. Others may know more . Having to look after radio duties whilst also doing watchkeeping duties can be very disconcerting especially in busy shipping lanes. And yet all one hears is about how safety must be the leading light in shipping. I think someone is pulling the wool over peoples eyes. The manning of ships today unless the crew come free to me is extreme in most cases. There are no safety allowances there , a man goes sick and then what. I sailed on a Russian ship as by the law at the time an official Australian crew had to be there , the Russian crew was 4.5 times larger than the official Australian crew. I would imagine the Chinese are the same. This if nothing else ensures they will always have a regular supply of seafarers in the case of hostilities. As regards any sea warfare in the future God Forbid it will be very short but not sweet as far as the West is concerned . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th May 2021 at 09:54 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast