Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Pier 35, san francisco

1 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 13th January 2018 06:27 AM

After dinner chat on the CrystalSerenity: "As a child and then a teenager, my grandparents werevery generous. They would take my brother & I on seavoyages," remembered one of our West Coast guests. "The first was overto Honolulu from San Francisco on the Lurline. The year was1960. I still have a few me menus & ship's programs. AndI have the printed passenger list. We returned on the Matsonia. It all seemed very luxurious back then. These Matson ships carried about700 passengers each but they seemed very big at the time. I alsospecially remember sailing day from San Francisco – a band on deck played,crowds lined the deck and more crowds on the pierside and, as the whistlessounded, we tossed paper streamers. Departure was a special event!”

HEADING FOR MARTINIQUE & BEYOND

Another leftover from the Dec cruise:

A guest here on the Crystal Serenity told me of hisfirst cruise: A two-week winter trip -- leaving a frigid New York &heading south to the sunshine & warmth of the Caribbean. It wasaboard the France. And of course he recalled the fine food,the great size of the ship & calling at ports such as Martinique.
    (The yearwas 1968.)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th January 2018 at 06:32 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 1

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pier 35, san francisco

The SS Monterey and Mariposa was always good reason in the 1960s that it was a few hundred yards from my office to the Suva (Fiji) wharf to go down and admire these beautiful vessels. https://www.flickr.com/photos/peacel...ie/6752277287/
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

4. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post