Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service

10 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 26th May 2016 08:12 PM

NEWS:

- 2015 citations announced

- Chairman's response to the new State Award

- Shipping Minister Robert Goodwill on the new state award

Following the investiture of the 2015 Merchant Navy Medals, at Trinity House on Monday 23rd November, Shipping Minister Robert Goodwill MP announced a new State Award to be known as the Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service, which will have a place in the Order of Wear. Her Majesty The Queen graciously signed the Royal Warrant for the new Medal. The first of these medals will be presented in 2016 and will replace the prestigious Merchant Navy Medal, which has been awarded by the Merchant Navy Medal Committee, on behalf the industry, from 2005 until this time. The Committee has a wide range of expertise from across the maritime industry.

Whilst the Department of Transport will ultimately be responsible for recommending awards to the Ministers it has agreed to consult closely with the Merchant Navy Medal Committee when reviewing nominations. Whilst nominations can be sent directly to the Department, they have also agreed that the Committee can review and forward nominations to them. The Committee will therefore examine carefully each nomination and advise whether they meet the criteria and whether further information is needed.

The Nomination Guidance Notes and Nomination Form are available on this website. Those wishing to place their nominations through the Merchant Navy Medal Committee should send the completed form to:

The Merchant Navy Medal Committee
    c/o Merchant Navy Welfare Board
    8 Cumberland Place
    Southampton SO15 2BH

Email: enquiries@mnwb.org.uk

Please note all nominations will be acknowledged and further information may be requested. The Merchant Navy Medal Committee will not enter into any correspondence about the eventual outcomes.

Note:
    I am sure there would be quite a few here who would qualify for this prestigious Award.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th May 2016 at 08:57 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 10

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service

Not before time. About time Merchant Seaman were recognized for their services.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 26th May 2016 at 09:00 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Initially, this was last years announcement, nothing wrong with that, thanks for reminding us. Those nominated for this year, I would expect, have been chosen by now ?

The first awards will be announced on Merchant Navy Day – 3rd September 2016.

But, this is as mentioned the first, so there are many more years to be included ?

k.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...orious-service

UPDATED:

The new awards — the first of which will be presented later in 2016 — will replace the existing Merchant Navy Medal which has been awarded by the Merchant Navy Medal Committee, on behalf the industry, for the past decade in recognition of meritorious service and acts of courage afloat.

The committee — which is administered by the Merchant Navy Welfare Board — has offered to help the Department for Transport (DfT) review submissions for the new award to ensure they meet the criteria outlined in the nomination guidance notes.

Nominations for the 2016 awards will be reviewed in late June and these should be submitted in sufficient time to be properly assessed. Nomination forms are available on the Merchant Navy Medal website, and can also be sent direct to the DfT — which is responsible for recommending awards to the minister.

Friday, April 15, 2016

https://nautilusint.org/en/what-we-s...y-medal-award/

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 26th May 2016 at 09:55 PM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear All,
    Some of you know I have been researching my late Father's career(Captain David Lycett). He was killed in 1986 during a missile attack on the Al Safaniya. I came across this medal recently and I am wondering if my Father would qualify a) as he is no longer alive b) he was sailing Foreign Flag at the time.
    As always any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks, Rachel

7. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rachel
    Maybe Hugh would know, I am sure he would certainly would.
    so please keep looking in, may take a few days.
    Thanks.
    Cheers
    Brian

9. Thanks Hugh thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well done Vernon, Its well documented in my posts that 2 British Merchant ships where caught up in the Indo/ Pakistan war of December 1971, I was aboard the M.V. Eucadia, At anchor the night of the 8th of December after being told to slip our moorings and get 8 miles out, We survived the other ship the M.V.Harmattan was hit by a stray missile according to the Indian Navy and was a right off along with half of her British crew. I for one intend applying for this medal, As none of the survivors ever received any kind of recognition for operating in that war zone. Cheers Terry.
    {terry scouse}

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The qualifying criteria for this medal is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...omination-form

You have to be nominated and cannot nominate yourself and only 20 can be awarded in any one year.
    Rachel's father would qualify if he had at least 20 years service but as I said he would need to be nominated and if not accepted then you could reapply the following year. It is not a general medal that will be awarded to everyone.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 11th June 2016 at 03:37 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks gents!

14. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Gents,
    Probably a moot point, I have contacted the enquiry line 're this medal and they have informed me that this medal is not awarded posthumously. This is very sad, surely men who have died at sea deserve their service to be acknowledged and remembered. I for one am very disappointed that there is no recognition for Merchant sailors who lose their life in service. My Father gave up his life because of his dedication to his career and his loyalty to his crew. To have his service recognised would have brought a great comfort to my family.

16. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thought did cross my mind Rachel but there is nothing to say that in the guidance. Maybe they should define the criteria properly before publishing the guidance.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

18. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast