PDA

View Full Version : SS. Drumcree ETC

Keith at Tregenna
31st March 2010, 08:28 PM
Regret, bad health amongst more, delays my input and all. On the road to recovery, fingers crossed.

Need all help re: To whom may help

I am researching my Grandfather, Frank Edwin (Ted) Turner.

He was a Merchant Seaman during the period 1906 to 1910. I know he was on a ship the Drumcree in 1908 that was bound for Rio around 09/01/1907 and was due to return to Barry later that month. He may have had the position of "First Mate" but it is not clear.

I have a number of addresses for him in Barry where his intended was living. She was Ada Bushell and was a member of the Bushell family that had a coal merchants business in Barry at the time.

The addresses given on the postcards I have from him are 141 Holton Rd, 144 Woodlands Rd, and 26 Robert St.

Do you have any records for this period and is it possible to see them at some time?

I know this is a long shot but all of my relatives have gone now and no other records are held by us.

Thanks in advance for your time.

The fate of Drumcree was in a differing time frame but is of interest:

An incidental story of heroism is that relating to the des-
truction of the British steamship Drumcree, which was torpe-
doed in the English Channel on May 19. The entire crew and
all of the passengers were saved through the efforts of the crew
of a Norwegian vessel.

The Drumcree left Barry on Tuesday, May i8, and on the
following day was torpedoed off the Cornish coast, on Wednes-
day. The projectile failed to sink her and the boat was taken in
tow by the Norwegian steamship. The submarine started in
pursuit and the Norwegian was forced to cast off. A second
torpedo finished the Drumcree. She was sinking rapidly when
the Norwegian vessel, perceiving her peril, returned and took
off the passengers and crew. The Drumcree was built in Sun-
derland in 1905. She is of 41 21 tons gross register, and 374 feet long.

Anyone with acess to Archive and that may help further are thanked in advance.

Doc Vernon
31st March 2010, 08:37 PM
Atlantic off SW England

DRUMCREE, 4,052/1905, Astral Shipping Co, Liverpool-reg, 36 crew, Mr A Hodgson, Barry for Port Arthur in ballast, weather hazy with heavy NW swell. Torpedoed amidships by U.27 (Bernd Wegener), considerably damaged including radio room, boats lowered and crew ordered to stand by, nearby Norwegian SS Ponto asked to take her in tow, then a second torpedo hit aft, and she started to settle, Ponto dropped the tow and by 1730 Drumcree was sinking by the bow 11 miles N by E of Trevose Head, Cornwall (L - 11 miles NE of; wi - in 50.40.48N, 04.59.50W); crew took to the boats after second hit, picked-up by Ponto without any interference from the U-boat, survivors landed at Cardiff (+L/Mn/te/un/wi)

Keith at Tregenna
31st March 2010, 08:59 PM
STRANGE HOW THINGS OCCUR:

A request out tof the blue for info and help and an evering wish to assist has led to an interesting read for all MN, WWI related and Lusitania centralised, involves much more. Found while looking for Dumcree. Also gives light to ongoing quest for names of rescue ships invovolved with the Lusi etc. Just a good read if nothing else.

Strange how loooking for A leads to B and C etc.

Hope the link works.

K.

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924006692796/cu31924006692796_djvu.txt

Keith at Tregenna
9th July 2010, 11:10 PM
Further to the above and a request for more info from the enquirer, add all below and make a renewed request, please for any help and assistance:

“I have limited info on my Grandfather but I do know that he was born on 17/3/1883 in Crewe and survived the first and second WW's. His merchant seaman days are a mistery to me as my father did not recount any information about him. Only that he eventually ended up as the Chief Maintenance Engineer at Scammels in London and then moved on to their new base in Watford. He died in March 1950 the year before I was born so my memories are non existant.

I live in Bedfordshire now and as I have some time on my hands I thought to start on my family tree. As the name Turner is almost as common as Smith I am not having too much luck. The postcards I have from him to his intended (Ada Bushell) came from all over the world during his seafaring days and some from when he returned and was living in Islington, London.

I did see some info on the Drumcree but as he seemed to have left before it was sunk I wanted to find out if he furthered his career on other ships. I will try to find more on his career with Scammels but it's his early years I am interested now”.

We will be planning a trip to discover more about Barry later this year.

Thanks again for your assistance so far.

Colin Turner

Thanks to all, Regards Keith.

DeepSea
10th July 2010, 09:32 AM
Keith,

As mentioned on previous occasions, there are no surviving MN records for WWI. Although the Fourth Register states 1913-1940, in reality it starts in 1919 as all previous have been destroyed. If the individuals service continued after this period, I would advise contacting:

Southampton Archives,
Southampton City Council,
South Block,
Civic Centre,
Southampton,
S014 7LY.

This office is open Tuesdays to Fridays 9.30am to 4.30pm, with one late evening opening each month. There is no charge for a personal visit. Alternatively enquiries for information from the records may be made by post, e-mail or fax but there will be a charge for this.

Keith at Tregenna
10th July 2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks as always, hopefully the chap may have found more of what he searches for, was actually unaware of the fact of no surviving MN records for WWI. Thanks again for the info, guess I knew of my Great Grandfathers WW1 Medal entitlement and assumed more. Will pass all on and see what else may be found on his earlier / later life etc. As said cannot thank you enough. K.