PDA

View Full Version : What ship?

Colin Pook
26th January 2019, 08:22 AM
B.B.C. tv Sunday evenings. MIDWIFE. Opening scenes of a street with houses either side, and at the bottom of the street a passenger liner. Is that ship Shaw Savilles
Dominion Monarch? I was on her for one trip and it looks very much like her to me. Finally, could anyone hazard a guess as to the location of that clip. I joined her in
Victoria Dock, but I dont remember houses in such close proximity .
Colin.
R684420

robpage
26th January 2019, 11:46 AM
Dominion Monarch at KING GEORGE V ,photo of Saville Road Siilvertown

Colin Pook
26th January 2019, 02:55 PM
Very many thanks for that Rob
Colin

John Callon
26th January 2019, 10:24 PM
On last weeks screening of "Call the Midwife" a voice over announced that it was 1964 and we had just seen the Dominion Monarch berthed in KGV. This is a bit of a anomaly as the DM arrived in Japan November 1962 for scrapping. Why cant these programme makers do some research before they start filming.
Regards
John C

Colin Pook
27th January 2019, 07:57 AM
Nicely spotted, John--10 out of 9 for that!!
Colin

robpage
27th January 2019, 09:09 AM
In one episode they had served up the meal for the nuns and the Midwives and it had broccoli on the plate when it came to the editing suite somebody realised that in 1960s England broccoli didn't actually exist not even as calibrate, rather than reshoot the whole lot again one of the video editors washed out the colour of the broccoli and when the final edit was done it appear that they had white cauliflower I didn't know they would technically that good and I don't suppose that there any others were that good at spotting the difference between cauliflower and bleached broccoli

Red Lead Ted
27th January 2019, 02:33 PM
Always remember watching a spaghetti western at sea, Swapped movies with another Harrison Boat the voices where about 2 minutes behind looking back they where bloody awful movies, Someone shouted play that back play that back I don't believe that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he was right a bloody big 707 Qantas flying across the screen, Happy days lads Terry. :popcorn:

Frederick Lacey
27th January 2019, 07:47 PM
John I think you are missing the point, that is just a scene that introduces every episode..There have been 8 Series
including the present one, first one was 2012 altogether 69 episodes including the one's in 2019.

robpage
27th January 2019, 07:54 PM
I believe that most of the outdoor scenery takes place in Chatham Historic Dockyard and they have an actual call the midwife trial in the dockyard itself

happy daze john in oz
28th January 2019, 05:11 AM
You do realize that if they got it all right we would have nothing to complain about.

Interesting about the Broccoli as I thought it was always there.

Trying to recall if we had it on UCL, most likely be frozen if we did.

robpage
28th January 2019, 06:58 AM
broccoli / Calabrese has been in the UK for 200 years , but not as well known until the 1980's

John Callon
28th January 2019, 09:17 PM
Ref post #8
I can see what you mean there Fred but I am afraid I have to disagree with you. I saw the very first episode of this show and the first thing that sprung to my mind when the shot of the DM came on the screen that it was based around the docks in the mid to late 50's in London and would obviously depict some austerity and that people did live with the docks at the bottom of their street. I lived in Liverpool and the oil tankers docked at the bottom of our street at the Dingle Oil Terminal.
Regards
John C