PDA

View Full Version : Power Costs

Doc Vernon
17th January 2019, 10:37 PM
Thanks for reading and can you help.
I am trying to establish how to correctly work out the cost of Running my Air Con.
I have 2 Reverse Cycle NEC Air Cons but I only need one to try and figure out!
On the Sticker all it has is Model Number (I have looked this up but it does not tell me what I am after) also has the following
Capacity
Cooling 7030 W
Heating 7030 W

Normal Input Current
Cooling 2670 W
Heating 2610 W

Now from the above and with my Electricity at 27.094 c/PKW
Does anyone know how to work out the Running cost for an Hour, for the Cooling Cycle only!
I Run it at a steady 21 Degrees when in use on very Hot days ,like Today when we will be reaching the 38 Mark here in Blackheath.
Feel for the poor Beggars in the Penrith Valley Today as well as the Outback Lads who get up to some 46/47 Whew!
Thanks for any good help here!
Cheers

Charlie Hannah
17th January 2019, 11:08 PM
Doc Read this mornings Telegraph Cost 50 to 70 cents an hour to run. Mid size .

Doc Vernon
17th January 2019, 11:16 PM
Thanks Charlie
That is about the baseline ,however would like to know exactly how you work this out.
Just for Reference sake that all
Cheers

Les Woodard
17th January 2019, 11:47 PM
Must be living like an eskimo there Vern as set my AC at 26 and 27 if it is a really hot day. Was explained to me that by choosing a low temp the AC will never get it down to that and will be chewing up power all day long. I find that with my settings the AC is not running all day and therefore cuts down costs. I also shut of any rooms that I am not using plus turn of those zones as well (ducted). Also have a small AC in the sun room (is that an oximoron) so of a night we bunker down there to watch the tube. So Vern might pay to up the temps mate because when temps are around the 40 mark that is still a big reduction and to be honest about it I reckon that our house feels cooler because the AC gets a rest now and then to work at its optimum. Same in winter I set the temp at around 17

Doc Vernon
18th January 2019, 12:02 AM
Thanks Les
I am not too worried about the cost really,it is just something that i like to know how it works,
I like mine at about the 21 0r 22 mark,and it Cuts in and Out regularly,so seems to be OK.
My Bills have been quite reasonable of late as well,the last one being $ 320 and that is for all Appliances,so feel quite happy.

I am one that needs to stay cool as with my Heart Condition I feel all washed out in any Heat over the 28 mark.

So its indoors for the last Week and Toady of course with Temps set to Soar!

Just looked up the Hottest recorded here in Blackheath was in 2007 at 36.1 looks like we will break that mark Today! Cooler from Tomorrow thank goodness!
Cheers

I had enough of the Heat and the Humidity when in Durban mate,too much,used to just sit on the back Porch and the Sweat would just Run like water!

Much like when at sea through the Tropics in the Monkey Jackets serving the Bloods,Hot as hell but Boy they still chowed away! LOL
Good old days though
Cheers

Des Taff Jenkins
18th January 2019, 12:32 AM
Hi Vernon
We are with Origin Energy and we are on a separate meter for the air con; and it tells us on the bill how much it costs per kilowatt to run, ours is set at around 22. It has been up to 40 down here the last three days, and for the first time we have run the air con all night, switch it off at 6am then on again around 2pm as our house has double batts in the ceiling and insulation in the walls, power bills, most we have paid lately is around $290, we put in a complaint a year ago and got a bill down to $190 .
Des

Les Woodard
18th January 2019, 01:22 AM
des might pay to check the manual for your AC as I know that if we ever run the AC of a night that there is a sleep mode that increases the temp by 2 over a couple of hours as people do not need it so cool when asleep. Vern I am not to sure if they made a mistake but I am on net metering (with solar) that means I use our own power and top it up with theirs if needed during the day with Energy Aust and last bill was 52.75 and like yourself all electric here just like the thought of only having to flick a switch to get anything LOL

Doc Vernon
18th January 2019, 02:29 AM
Hello Des
Yes we to are with Origin been with them a long time now.
Funny though we dont have a seperate Meter for the Air Cons possibly you have what is known as the Smart Meter ,i opted out for them to install it.
Anyway like you its been damn hot here too,worst its been since we came up here and as posted not been lke this here since 2007.
We moved here in 2101 and its always been nice in the Summer with cool breeze but not now,seems things are changing all over!
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
18th January 2019, 02:54 AM
Vernon if you are on a smart meter there should be a booklet with it showing ow to calculate what you need to know.
If not suggest you contact your supplier as the cost per hour will vary depending on time of day you use the air con or any other item.

Charges now are based on high, mid and low usage, that is why they brought in smart meters.

Doc Vernon
18th January 2019, 03:22 AM
Not on a Smart Meter John as said i opted out of them installing one!
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
18th January 2019, 03:28 AM
Not on a Smart Meter John as said i opted out of them installing one!
Cheers

How did you manage that one?
They are now being made compulsory.

Doc Vernon
18th January 2019, 03:42 AM
At time you had the choice John and had to tell them,so it went on your Account Details.
There were a lot of discussions on them and I did not like what I read.
Cheers

Somewhere I have the Letter of Confirmationmust look for it

vic mcclymont
18th January 2019, 10:03 AM
Doc. Cost per kWh.

Watts X 60 divided by 1000 equals kilo watt hour X cost will give running cost per hour.
Vic
Ie 2.030 X 27.03 equals 54.87 cents per hours assuming unit runs continually.

Doc Vernon
18th January 2019, 08:57 PM
Thanks Vic
Dont know how that works but if its correct that is just what i am after.
I really appreciate this Vic
Cheers

Doc Vernon
18th January 2019, 09:22 PM
Vic I must be thick LOL
I cannot get how this all works as you post this what I get ???

Watts X 60 divided by 1000 equals kilo watt hour X cost will give running cost per hour.
Vic
Ie 2.030 X 27.03 equals 54.87 cents per hours assuming unit runs continually.

2.030 X 60 = 121.80 Divided by 1000 = 0.0218 X 27.030 = 3.292 ????

OR 2030 X 60 = 121800 Divided by 1000 = 121.80 x 27.030 = 3292.54 ???

Your last line seems correct though how do I get this?
Sorry but I am stuck LOL
I suppose I may be reading something incorrectly ??
Cheers

vic mcclymont
18th January 2019, 10:16 PM
Doc, Doc ignore first part, wrong!!!!
Right, 2030 watts is 2.030 kwh(2030 divided by 1000 = 2.03)
2.03kw running for. 1 hour is 2.03 kwhr.
Cost per hour 2.03x 27.03 equals 54 cents approx.
So for say five hours calc would be 2.03 X 5 X 27.030.
Hope this helps?
Vic
PS assumes unit is running continuously.

Des Taff Jenkins
19th January 2019, 12:52 AM
Hi Vernon.
When we bought this place they had two installed heaters that used a huge amount of power; probably in the old days costs where not as high, when we put in the air con they used one of the power switches and disabled the other, at the same time we had cutout switches put in don't know about a smart meter, only know that our power bills dropped a lot, we are only a few hundred meters from the Snowy Hydro main building so they may be frightened I'll blow them up if we don't get cheap power ha ha. When we had a big bill Betty rang Origin and complained, the bloke said what is the little number on the very base of your bill, she had to get her glasses to read it but it was a 6 he did some calculations and said that the next bill would be adjusted, it went from around $400 to $46.
Des

Doc Vernon
19th January 2019, 12:56 AM
Thanks again Vic!
I thought i was ging troppo! LOL
Yes that looks like the thing to go by,so i know more or less what the cost should be !
Appreciated
Cheers

Yes Des
The old things are a bit more costly to run ,and as you we moved here with Two Air Cons Installed with the Gas Central Heating,so in Winter and now seems Summer Months we are up in costs! But no price will dter me from being Comfortable that for sure!
At least we get a decent enough discount from our Provider!
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
19th January 2019, 05:17 AM
Speaking with my spakry brother he gave the same formula as you now have.

He also tells me that it is not good practice to run an air conditioner at any temp other than 10 degrees less that the outside temp.
So if 35 outside no lower than 25 inside.

He tells me that setting it lower can damage the compressor.
But why not do what I did, have additional solar panels fitted, went from a 1.5 system to a 3.7 one.
Last account, credit of $168.

robpage
19th January 2019, 06:17 AM
I have air conditioning in the lounge and in the bedroom the whole point of air conditioning is not to act as a chiller or in the case of mine which are heat pumps do I act as a heater it is to condition the air so the great point is in summer to reduce the humidity I run mine in summer about 5 degrees below the outside temperature and in winter I use it to top up the room temperature probably by about 5 degrees . I have seen it you'd on ships where we have been in equatorial regions and the accommodation has been something with that's like 15 degrees centigrade I think everybody ended up with a cold where you was coming in from the outside at 30 + degrees and freezing to death in your cabin

Doc Vernon
19th January 2019, 09:13 AM
Mmmm! Good practice or not i have been for Years ,both here and in Penrith Running my Air Cons well below that mark,and so far nothing has happened to any of the Units we have had!
In Penrith where it sometimes reached up to the 40 Degree mark,i always had my setting on about /2122 and that ran most all day.
Here last Week when we got those 36 Temps i was running it at 19/21 sometimes lower and so far all seems AOK.
I like to feel the Cool Air not just the Room being kept sort of a level Temp.
But we all have out likes and ways I guess,
Cheers

vic mcclymont
19th January 2019, 09:57 AM
I assume / hope you guys that have air con units are chlorinating the condensate trays on a regular basis.
The condensate tray is one of the breeding areas for the legionaries disease.
The legionaries bug develops at between 40c and 60c.
Vic

Jim Brady
19th January 2019, 10:52 AM
Off topic a bit but a follow up to Vics post.I seen this headline somewhere and I didn't read the full story and I cannot find where it was I read it.The story was about the new build Royal Liverpool hospital,not sure of the figure but 14 comes to mind.The hospital was near completion so the water must've been turned on they now have to employ these people (if it was 14) to go around the hospital and run the taps to stop Legionnaires taking hold.There would be a lot of taps as it was individual rooms en-suite for each patient.For those that don't know the hospital was laying idle because the builder Carillion went bust.

Regards.
Jim.B.

vic mcclymont
19th January 2019, 10:57 AM
Jim, BBC ran that story during the week, also thy cannot switch the lights off for some reason.
Vic

Tony Taylor
19th January 2019, 11:04 AM
Off topic a bit but a follow up to Vics post.There would be a lot of taps as it was individual rooms en-suite for each patient.For those that don't know the hospital was laying idle because the builder Carillion went bust.

Regards.
Jim.B.

water bye laws require all public buildings, e.g. hotels, hospitals, schools etc. have to have annual checks and treatments for legionnaires and it includes all outlets.It was introduced in early 90s and if I recall correctly was called Water Bye Law 30. It stipulates standards of cleanliness for water storage tanks, temp controls of stored water, insect screens etc.
I was in corrosion protection business then (still am) and there was a rush to get tanks up to standard. Some of the water storage tanks in hospitals would have frightened the life out of anyone, for instance, dead birds were common and in one prominent London hospital, half a dead cat, no trace of the the other half.
That is not a story, I was involved directly with projects all over the UK

Ken Norton
19th January 2019, 02:36 PM
water bye laws require all public buildings, e.g. hotels, hospitals, schools etc. have to have annual checks and treatments for legionnaires and it includes all outlets.
That is not a story, I was involved directly with projects all over the UK

Had a great deal to do with this working for a major international company and hospitals Tony and comfirm all that you say, I did the Legionella Assesors course for the inspection of premises which was both interesting and scary at times. Some of the finds were truly frightening to say the least. Micro biology is very interesting.

robpage
20th January 2019, 06:06 AM
I don't remember what year it was but when this legionella assessment first came up there was a huge infection at the BBC and I think the chief engineer in charge of the building ended up in jail that certainly brought it right to the front do everybody's attention we never had a problem with the cold water systems but we used to make sure that the hot water systems were hotter to keep the bugs out of the pipes the biggest worry was in heat exchangers for refrigeration and we used to regularly keep the chlorine levels up and in honesty in over 20 years we never had a problem

happy daze john in oz
21st January 2019, 04:44 AM
I assume / hope you guys that have air con units are chlorinating the condensate trays on a regular basis.
The condensate tray is one of the breeding areas for the legionaries disease.
The legionaries bug develops at between 40c and 60c.
Vic

The majority here in Oz are the refrigerated type so that is not a problem.
With the evaporative house hold ones the water is on a running basis on the newer ones so not a problem.