PDA

View Full Version : A Great Train Journey i would still love to do

Doc Vernon
7th January 2019, 03:22 AM
I was watching a program on out TV yesterday about one of the great Train journeys in the World,and it featured the Indian Pacific Train Journey from Perh travelling to Sydney Australia.
This is one Journey that I have had planned for a long time now,and I will still hopefully get to doing it in the near Future.
I would just do it one way,as it is a very long trip, so Flying from Sydney to Perth and then picking the Indian Pacific up there.

It takes some Three full days and 4 Nights to complete and and most of the Way is just Total baron land,very much like the Great Karoo I used to see when working on the long distance Trains in South Africa,but this trip is far far longer nearly 4 times in fact.

This journey has the longest piece of Straight Train Track in the World with from point to point on that section with not a curve measures some 478 km that nearly 300 Miles,
Wow! just think of it,i am sure it must be something else to experience the trip,be it I would imagine a bit boring at times but it is just the thing of saying that one has been on the longest Straight in the World.

It is pulled by only one Locomotive from Perth up to Adelaide where another is added t assist the rest of the Journey through some Mountain Passes towards Sydney the two loco's shown on the Video Documentry have both travelled some 4 Million KM each,at an Incredible cost!

But I have always also loved Train travel,so think not that I would get bored.
This Train has 25 Carriages with the last being a special Car Carrier,as quite a few People take their Cars along,so as they can use them when they get to whichever side!

The train itself is one of comfort as I have seen inside it many times when working at Central Station as a Ticket Examiner, it is quite Luxurious and has nice Coupe Suites ,so it would be just lovely for a Single old Person like me . LOL

So as said I am hoping that it wont be too long now before I make that long but exciting journey!

You can read more on it here ,the actual program was very interesting as it had many informative Writings as it went along its way.

Just one more thing and that is I am sure that those Train Drivers must get a very good wage for doing those long and tiresome Journeys.
Cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Australian_Railway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzQR0O5UD8g

j.sabourn
7th January 2019, 05:18 AM
Did it about 2005 Vernon. Funny enough the Indian Pacific starts from East Perth and was there yesterday at my nephews for lunch. He lives across the road from the station. It was 3 nights sleeping when we did but was going out the opposie way to you. If you are going on the private berth beware of the top bunk , as they are athwaartships and had no bunk board in, so are liable to fall out . If do one of the advertised tours in Kalgoorlie go to the brothel rather than the gold mine , unless you are in to open cast viewing , at the brothel you might see Brian’s old girl friend, mind she is getting on in years now, my wife wouldn’t let me go , don’t know why. You’ll enjoy the meals and the company , and looking at the wild life crossing the Nullaboor. Maybe the brothel if they leave the inhabitants in while the tourists go round staring at all the theme rooms. Maybe Shaun would like as believe they have a bondage room also. Cheers JS

happy daze john in oz
7th January 2019, 05:27 AM
Very good friend of ours did the 'Ghan' last year.
Took some nine days as there were stops at a number of places of interest such as the Rock and the Alice.
But it is by no means cheap, single fare now about $9,000.

j.sabourn
7th January 2019, 05:41 AM
Should have gone via Kalgoorlie and taken the trip to the goldmine with his little pick and maybe made enough to pay for the trip. Maybe if made enough could have had a quickie in the house of ill repute. Beware of any cappies about though who would have insisted on measuring your arms as against the lengths of your pockets. The Ghan was thinking of doing but unless they give good pensioners rates , will go and have fish and chips instead. Cheers JS

Captain Kong
7th January 2019, 10:00 AM
My brother and his wife did the trip from Sydney to Perth and enjoyed it,
Kalgoorlie is a fascinating place, I have been ther three times now, A trip to Hay Street is a must, the one on the corner at the bottom of the block do the Brothel Tours, . They have a swim pool, a pool room , [ billiards] a bar lounge as well as the entertainment rooms. At the top of Hay Street are the "Starting Stalls, " they are just for some one in a hurry.
Some good pubs.
The Exchange had topless Barmaids one Day and Bottomless Barmaids the next. and no one seemed to notice, the regulars just sat with a beer reading the racing pages in their newsp[apers.
The Gold mione is very interesting, the Biggest hole in the world. Three Ks long one and a half Ks wide and over one K. deep.Each tipper lorry can carry 400 tons of ore. There is a viewing platform to watch.

I like Kalgoorlie.

Brian
some views of Kalgoorlie.

j.sabourn
7th January 2019, 10:16 AM
Was there in 1989 before came out here to live Brian. Right on the edge of the Pit was an old ramshackle house 3 storey built with old packing cases and bits of wood and built like an articial castle . The whole edifice surround by barbed wire. I got talking through the barbed wire to the occupant who was this old guy originally from London many moons before. He had a miners stake on those few square metres of land and refused to sell out to the gold company. I remembered seeing his story many years before this in the Old Australian Post magazine and how he used to walk with his wheelbarrow with his belongings in all the way to Perth to attend the court cases he fought. He invited us in to his castle after pulling the barbed wire apart. I won’t even try to describe the house made with whatever materials he could find but it was an education in itself. He was one of the real old characters of his era. He will be well dead by now. But Australia lost a lot when those old gold seekers disappeared. Cheers JS...

Brenda Shackleton
7th January 2019, 10:26 AM
2015. Pete and I went on the Ghan ( called after Afghan Camel drivers) from Alice to Darwin. One overnight sleep and then a morning's trip to Katherine - about 3˝ hours. Fantastic.
Marvellous experien2828928290
Regards
Brenda

Doc Vernon
7th January 2019, 09:20 PM
Thanks for replies I will see how things go later this Year.
I also just read on our News that they are going to cut both Services (Indian Pacific and Ghan) by up to 50% soon ,as the Passenger Bookings are down a lot.
They also are talking about cutting out the normal Pensioner Discounts ! What a Blow !
But that will be right just when I am thinking of doing a trip! Grrrr!
But anyway see what the New Year brings,may be a happy Lotto Win! LOL

j.sabourn
7th January 2019, 09:46 PM
I asked my nephew who lives opposite the depot from the Indian Pacific how much they charged just to p for go to kalgoorlie is and he said 80 dollars each way. As pensioners we get two long distant rail journeys each year within the state free. JS

Des Taff Jenkins
8th January 2019, 12:02 AM
Hi John.
We used to get those free rail travel passes; anywhere in the State, but haven't had one for a while now, maybe they have stopped them.
I enjoyed the trip on the Ghan on S.B.S but missed the one on the Indian, I liked the way they put no music in.
Cheers Des

Doc Vernon
8th January 2019, 12:23 AM
Des
We still get the Free Rail pass each Year but is is not in the same form as we had before,it just shows that you are entitled to one a Year.
When they do your Yearly update it should have been sent with that!?
Cheers

As everything is so Computerised these days all you have to do is go and Book your Ticket,when doing so either Online or at a Booking Office ,it brings up your details and automatically gives the Discount !
Cheers

j.sabourn
8th January 2019, 12:32 AM
All local travel is also free do you get that. You just tag on to the machine on the bus or before getting on local trains, with. Your card takes all of a second. We travelled to East Perth the other day over an hour by bus and train, just because didn’t know how to get there by car., plus the highways were very busy. JS

Doc Vernon
8th January 2019, 12:57 AM
We get Concession Travel on all Bus Trains and Ferries (JetCats Excepted)
Cost of $2.50 Total a day and you can Ride anywhere and on all types of Transport all day long.
Cheers

j.sabourn
8th January 2019, 01:21 AM
When over in the Sydney area usually stay with friends in Wollongong. They used to accept the WA card for the train into Sydney at the reduced fare you mention. Each state has its own rules and Regs.I know . However in WA is still Carte Blanche , and free , long may it remain so as must be a live saver for some. It’s a pity the car parks weren’t the same. Thieving robbing baskets. Has just been shown on tv the new passenger terminal in Fremantle in the hope of attracting more tourism. The Fremantle council want to take their digit out and stop thieving off the piublic in way of car parks. They fined me 75 dollars last year for putting the wrong registration in the parking metre. Wouldn’t even answer my letter of complaint , must of thought I had memory loss so didn’t matter, I’ve got news for them !! An elephant never forgets especially the rogue ones. My advice to anyone on a ship passing through is stay on the ship and let the Fremantle council go and suck a jelly baby. Or preferably a jelly fish of the stinger variety. JS

happy daze john in oz
8th January 2019, 05:32 AM
I always find it rather odd that with a nation of only 25 million we have so many different rules regarding simple things such as free travel for seniors etc.

Each year we get an offer from the Missing link for one free rail trip, never taken them up, but we do get free travel on busses and trams at the weekend.
No idea what the concession rate is at other times as we never use it.

Half cost motor registration is good as it means we can run two cars for the price of one, required at present, and the concessions on gas, power, rates, water all help to keep costs down.

Speaking with my brother in law in UK Sunday he informs me that the free TV license for seniors will go next year along with free bus passes, times must be tough there.

As to the train trips, will soon be down to one a week I am reliably informed as there is just not enough interest in them now.
Pity as it is a very different way to travel, but the scenery can be a bit boring, like the road from port Augusta to the Alice, not a lot to see apart from Salt Bus and Gibber plains.

Keith Tindell
8th January 2019, 09:45 AM
I thought that our bus passes and TV licences in UK were being discussed to scrap them, was unaware that this had been agreed !!, If it has been agreed i was unaware, kt

happy daze john in oz
9th January 2019, 05:35 AM
I thought that our bus passes and TV licences in UK were being discussed to scrap them, was unaware that this had been agreed !!, If it has been agreed i was unaware, kt

According to my brother in law it is from January 1 2020.

Why he did not say but it sound to me as though the bean counters have been at it again.

Doc Vernon
9th January 2019, 05:47 AM
Yes John
I often have wondered why this great Country is not so great as far as Ruling goes!
As you say with the Number of People we have why can we not have one Government Body (And i am not starting Politics here) and one Rule throughout the Land,it would make things so much easier,gosh even the Criminal Penalties differ?? Also the Train Tracks change all over the place Weird!!!
As you well kmow in South Africa we have always had only one Government Body and it has worked all along. Like many other Countries!
Its silly really when you think of it,one Rule here and a few Hundred KM away it changes ??

j.sabourn
9th January 2019, 06:30 AM
It’s very obvious when you consider the GST reimbursements alone. In some cases there have been people shouting for independence for WA as against the rest of the country.. JS

happy daze john in oz
10th January 2019, 04:39 AM
Well John you almost have it with Hut Gully province!!

There are other nations such as SA, UK and many others all with just one gov.

We have to be the most over governed country on earth, local, state and feral govs, who needs them?

For the first time ever at the last state erection, voting for some pricks that is, I did not vote, attempts at bribery to get my vote will never work.

Ron B Manderson
10th January 2019, 09:05 PM
In 1970 our 3rd eng had to go to the hospital in Calcutta. Ear trouble . We had to leave without him .
He then caught a train ( 1st class of course He had a fan ) from Calcutta to Bombay . He said he got his meals on a palm leaf. Ever stop he was given a fresh bottle of Coke . I would loved to do that trip, as I loved India
Ron The batcave
R

Doc Vernon
10th January 2019, 09:20 PM
Yes lots of Great Train Journeys to be had,another one which would be great is the Great Siberian Rail Trips on offer this one in particular (Seems there is a longer one than the Indian Pacific LOL)

Vladivostok is the start or finish of the original Trans-Siberian express line from Moscow and although it is not as popular a route as the Trans-Mongolian to or from Beijing it is definitely the preferred route for Trans-Siberian purists! One fantastic thing about this route is that Russia’s best scheduled train, number 2 the “Rossiya”, runs the line from
Vladivostok (https://www.thetranssiberiantravelcompany.com/destinations-list/russia-introduction/vladivostok-travel-guide/)
all the way the 9,259 km to Moscow making it the world’s longest single train ride. If you want to make this trip all in one go we would recommend an early autumn departure for the spectacular colours or a winter trip to see Siberian in its icy finest.

And not forgetting the Famous Orient Express !

Captain Kong
10th January 2019, 09:35 PM
Six months ago my brother and wife went from New York to Los Angeles by train. via Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas , Long Beach, over night on Queen Mary and to Los Angeles.

happy daze john in oz
11th January 2019, 05:27 AM
In 1970 our 3rd eng had to go to the hospital in Calcutta. Ear trouble . We had to leave without him .
He then caught a train ( 1st class of course He had a fan ) from Calcutta to Bombay . He said he got his meals on a palm leaf. Ever stop he was given a fresh bottle of Coke . I would loved to do that trip, as I loved India
Ron The batcave
R

Ron, my advice is to think long and hard about going back there.
I was in Bombay airport in mid 80's when every fly in India came to see us, by all accounts the number has quadrupled since then.

Ron B Manderson
11th January 2019, 10:55 AM
well they say never go back some where as it all changes. I looked at aquaba In the red sea .
When we went there it was just some old buildings , Now a big port /town
So you may be right John
Ron the batcave

Keith Tindell
11th January 2019, 11:47 AM
I was on a ship chartered to an Indian company, called the Jalasilton hall , when we were on the Indian coast we had to clear the tween deck to the side, so they could cook their food themselves on the deck with timber fires, we were at anchor,. They use to light the fire on the deck, and the smell of that cooking was delicious, and they would eat from a palm leaf. I did give it a go, but saw the cook have a dump over the side on the stages we had rigged for them, and saw his hygiene , so only ate once !!. Sailing on that coast was an eye opener for many reasons, kt

cappy
11th January 2019, 12:24 PM
##same off kharg island ...3 weeks or so at anchor in august .....the crew of locals put aboard to drop the massive steel pipes into a small dow .....only one a day taken but they cooked in a big pot on a reniforced steel plate on deck they then sat round and pulled out a lump of meat onto there plate ..if it was tough they tried to chew it then spit it back in the pot .....they were using a fishing line with carbide in bread to catch seabirds ...they went in the pot after being plucked and washed in seawater for to get rid of the carbide.....we were on water ration ....the temp was through the roof no air con on her .....but good fishing at night with deck light hung over and we made spears with a 6 inch nail barbed by the engineers ....couldnt sleep at night the decks were like oven plates often fished most of the night but didnt eat them as many could have been poisonous.....a proper hardship that one ....i jumped in wallaroo so did i think it was 7 others at least .....sure a learning curve in life.....cappy

Captain Kong
11th January 2019, 12:34 PM
I did a great train journey once,
just paid off, in 1958, in London, got the train to Manchester after several bevies , a few on the train , fell asleep and was woken by the Guard in Glasgow. Had to buy another ticket and go back over 200 miles to Manchester..

john walker
11th January 2019, 01:00 PM
#15 & 16 concessionary travel on buses in the U.K. has not been stopped the Tory government reviewed the free travel for old age pensioners and the disabled, the annual heating allowance and the annual increase in O.A.P. pensions. I think they realised it would be political suicide to tinker with any of these. The buses minister Nusrat Ghani (I have never heard of him) said in April 2018 that it will remain in place for the foreseeable future and that there was legislation in place so that there would not be any need to review the original act every 5 years as they had done since 2007.

cappy
11th January 2019, 01:07 PM
I was on a ship chartered to an Indian company, called the Jalasilton hall , when we were on the Indian coast we had to clear the tween deck to the side, so they could cook their food themselves on the deck with timber fires, we were at anchor,. They use to light the fire on the deck, and the smell of that cooking was delicious, and they would eat from a palm leaf. I did give it a go, but saw the cook have a dump over the side on the stages we had rigged for them, and saw his hygiene , so only ate once !!. Sailing on that coast was an eye opener for many reasons, kt

###on the british defender in 59 we were on the coast permanently .....madrass bmbay kandla dhaka in bangladesh and places i cant even remember ...cargos of parrifin and aviation fuels and other spirits ....i have seen the dead body wagon come round early morn ...kick the sleepers and chuck the dead in a horse drawn wagon .....the constant stench of those places was never forgotten .....you could smell it a day or more before you got there .......bits of half burnt bodies floating down the river with birds sitting on them pecking away ...but memories i would not change ....cappy

Des Taff Jenkins
12th January 2019, 12:28 AM
Hi Cappy
If you are like me a smell of a burnt or chard steak on the barbie and the memories come back of the Indian coast, We did a run that went from Karachi, Goa, Bombay, Madras, Calcutta, then Rangoon in Burma, then Singapore, going pass the spice islands and the smell of sandalwood was the best, cleared the nostrils of India
Cheers Des :th_thth5952deef:

happy daze john in oz
12th January 2019, 05:44 AM
Bombay airport in 1983, the international terminal had been closed due to a fire there.
We had to sit on the tarmac with temp of about 42 degrees with all doors open.
Thought the air had gone black, no only the flies that came to see us.

Return journey the terminal was open.
Better had it not been, the dunny in there was something to behold, no doubt at some time it would be emptied but not today, or yesterday, or before the fire by the smell and look.

Kind of makes you think twice about going to an Indian restaurant for dinner

john walker
12th January 2019, 08:52 AM
In the early 80's I was working in the Southern Sudan on an 8 week on 4 week off roster, after my first tour it being January and freezing in the U.K. I decided to spend my rest period looking round Kenya. At that time there was still a slow train service running from Nairobi to Mombasa it used to leave Nairobi in the afternoon and arrive in Mombasa the next morning taking about 15 hours. It really was a relic of our colonial past with liveried waiters and porters serving an evening meal and drinks and then turning your train compartment into a sleeping carriage. I barely managed to sleep as the continuous clunketty clunk of the slow moving wheels took some getting used to. The train journey was worth it as you travel through some fantastic safari areas at daybreak before arriving in Mombasa with a lot of game around which certainly beats the usual urban scenery of most train journeys.