PDA

View Full Version : In praise of the Tally man

robpage
13th December 2018, 06:45 AM
I thought it better to answer this one here rather than in the chipping hammer thread . I have had very little contact with any of the Tally Man companies such as provy but no a lot of people who have and in all honesty some of them would never finance Christmas without borrowing the money and spending the next 11 months paying it back and when it comes to interest rates I know they're rates are ridiculously high but some of the other sources that people go to are insane

I once had a bailiff at my door Who had been sent to me courtesy of Greenwood finance which I believe is part of provident and the Northampton County Court , without going into detail letter say that it started to get very messy and it turned out that someone who was a relative I've been unable to get the money they required from Greenwood finance and had been coerced by The Collector into putting down a guarantor unbeknown to me who they had cited as the guarantor when they owed Greenwood finance over 400 having paid just the first two payments back it was me as a guarantor they was pursued by the finance company . All totally without any knowledge from me I had acquired a county court judgement against me because all the correspondence had been sent to the home of the Debtor not to me as a guarantor , lin managed to get copies of b agreements supposedly signed by me but obviously not and after a phone call with somebody at Greenwood finance who was basically totally ignorant followed by a solicitor's letter from me they got my name removed from the CCJ register they refunded my solicitors fees they sent me 50 compensation and sent my wife a bunch of flowers as an apology . My question as to their credibility was basically the man who falsely filled in the forms being the telly man who had arranged the loan for My Relative retained his job

It is refreshing to know that there were people out there like yourself Jim who was straight my experience would lead me to believe that you were possibly in the minority

robpage
13th December 2018, 07:17 AM
Just as an aside I was in digs in Osborne Avenue in South Shields in 1967 , what are the landlady's neighbours doing having a little tea party at around 530 on a Tuesday afternoon I used to think it was in the middle of her busy time when she was doing tea for half a dozen starving students it never made sense until her daughter pointed out one day but the Tally Man had gone and they all departed quickly and went back to their own houses the tea party at my landladies was away that they were hiding away from the knock at the door for the weekly money
Secondly whilst on the subject an acquaintance of mine was telling me that she had need of a washing machine and I bought one through a company called BrightHouse it turned out that the machine she had bought you could have bought two discount warehouses around 200 and all in all her total cost over several years was over 1,000 for the same machine now without there being an organisation like that she would have never been able to have had the machine in the first place and I realise that the interest rates are extortionate because there are an awful lot of people that don't pay that's why I justify these organisations in my own mind that when you go to them for money or furniture or in one case that I was aware of many years ago the children's return to school clothing in August you have to pay for the dishonesty of many others

cappy
13th December 2018, 07:50 AM
##these people are money lenders charging people who should save to buy these small household goods disgusting rates of interest ..half the nations debt in lower income families must be put down to the ...pay on the never never ....quick quid ....long term misery .....and jesus chucked the money lenders out the temple .....lol cappy

j.sabourn
13th December 2018, 08:17 AM
As a kid we were clothed by provident cheques which may have been who Jim worked for. The whole council estate used them. We always had a provident cheque going for 5 shillings at least. The agent also did the football pools when he came to collect his money every week. He was more a friend of the family than anything else. The old man used to drink with him in the pub as well when playing dominoes. If you ever want to see brazen cheating watch dominoes players in pubs, and after theyre gone look under their chairs for all the discarded ones. JS.

cappy
13th December 2018, 08:33 AM
###must honestly say no pay on the never never was ever used in any of my family ....that is perhaps why for my 13 year old school party i had my grandas harris tweed jacket cut and sewn to wear he a 6 foot sheltie me a 5 foot skinny kid....if we wanted we saved ...although the pop shop was handy from time to time......never did us any harm ..and taught us if you want you save..not like todays what do you want ....when do you want it scenario.....horses for courses i say

cappy
13th December 2018, 08:42 AM
Just as an aside I was in digs in Osborne Avenue in South Shields in 1967 , what are the landlady's neighbours doing having a little tea party at around 530 on a Tuesday afternoon I used to think it was in the middle of her busy time when she was doing tea for half a dozen starving students it never made sense until her daughter pointed out one day but the Tally Man had gone and they all departed quickly and went back to their own houses the tea party at my landladies was away that they were hiding away from the knock at the door for the weekly money
Secondly whilst on the subject an acquaintance of mine was telling me that she had need of a washing machine and I bought one through a company called BrightHouse it turned out that the machine she had bought you could have bought two discount warehouses around 200 and all in all her total cost over several years was over 1,000 for the same machine now without there being an organisation like that she would have never been able to have had the machine in the first place and I realise that the interest rates are extortionate because there are an awful lot of people that don't pay that's why I justify these organisations in my own mind that when you go to them for money or furniture or in one case that I was aware of many years ago the children's return to school clothing in August you have to pay for the dishonesty of many others

##the word save seems to have gone in todays world rob...but there you are times change.....once went to the bank to borrow money to pay an electric bill ....the manager said its people like you spending money you havnt got that is ruining the country.....he refused .......years later things had changed the bank was taking me out for lunch theater tickets boxes at races ...but the electric stayed in my mind ....i borrowed from family ....and apart from businness have never borrowed again....its the way the cookie crumbles...cappy

j.sabourn
13th December 2018, 08:57 AM
#5... not sure of the rules but we paid off one provident cheque before taking out another. You were lucky Cappy quite often in the winter there was no money coming into the house. My earnings delivering papers , butcher boy or working for a cobbler went into the kitty to keep hearth and home together. If you were an outside worker in the building trade in bad weather you got laid off. One Xmas the only income was my tips from the paper round.. Another Xmas must have been about 1948 the only thing christmassy was a bent banana around the candlestick on the mantelpiece . Why do you think I hate those clowns in Brussels so much.. Cheers JS

cappy
13th December 2018, 09:09 AM
#5... not sure of the rules but we paid off one provident cheque before taking out another. You were lucky Cappy quite often in the winter there was no money coming into the house. My earnings delivering papers , butcher boy or working for a cobbler went into the kitty to keep hearth and home together. If you were an outside worker in the building trade in bad weather you got laid off. One Xmas the only income was my tips from the paper round.. Another Xmas must have been about 1948 the only thing christmassy was a bent banana around the candlestick on the mantelpiece . Why do you think I hate those clowns in Brussels so much.. Cheers JS

###john they were not easy times and when people keep trotting out about poverty it makes my blood boil.....we ducked some weeks when the rent man came ..the word was pased he is coming up the street....i got a bike which was what the window cleaner had used for carrying his ladders ....but it was a bike hand painted ...remember being told you are getting a bike for xmas ...i asked what colour ..i will never forget it was cobalt blue .....little did i know it was the window cleaners next door ....some mates had proper racers ..no doubt of the tally man .....but igot a paper round saved and got a silver dawes racer ieven got a dynamo on it ....i worked in a second hand shop honest jacks .....i helped the milky after my paper round....i was self sufficient ...it ever did me any harm ...one thing for sure i never got out for nowt ...except advice some good some bad...but can always remember being happy ........regards cappy

Captain Kong
13th December 2018, 09:28 AM
Apart from a mortgage on my house I bought 55 years ago I have never borrowed a penny, Always saved up for what I had to buy, no money ?did without, always paid cash for everything, my second house , paid cash.
Give money lenders Nothing.blood suckers. people die because of their debts.
Interest rates are diabolical, Wonga was charging up tp 3000% another advertises on TV 1499% INTEREST.
They should be gaoled for life.,

j.sabourn
13th December 2018, 09:30 AM
My proudest possession was a pair of army boots about 3 sizes too big. Used to dubbin them and polish until they gleamed. They had steel heel studs , and used to clatter down the streets on my paper round at about 0630 any light sleepers must have been cursing me. My first job I had was shopping for a neighbour she used to give me half a crown. Work to a youngster then was an adventure on its own. Whether it was potato picking or whatever. I used to go regularly down to the fish Quay and Jump around the drifters and pick up all the old herrings lying in the scuppers . They tasted a lot better than the ones bought at the fishmongers. Cheers JS

Jim Brady
13th December 2018, 09:43 AM
##these people are money lenders charging people who should save to buy these small household goods disgusting rates of interest ..half the nations debt in lower income families must be put down to the ...pay on the never never ....quick quid ....long term misery .....and jesus chucked the money lenders out the temple .....lol cappy

I walked into my local pub one night after work a guy standing at the end of the bar in his usual position decided to make a fool of me for ripping people off in my job,what it was all about his wife had been knocked back for a shopping check.He got the audience all listening and proceeded to give it out about robbing b/stards robbing poor people.I said have you finished,yes,well now I will tell you,we are a charity,had all hands listening,a charity ,yes a charity we lose money on giving you say a 20.00 check.We give you 20.00 we charge you 0ne shilling in the pound total back 21.00.We pay the collector 1s7d in the pound for collecting it so we lose seven pence in every pound we give out.So we give out 20.00 and we get 19.7s 9d back we lose money on the deal just on the collector then we have my office rent rates light wages 1 manager 3 asst managers and 3 cashiers then we have all the staff at Head Ofiice in Bradford all tobe paid,out of what,we have lost money on what we gave you and you tell me we are robbing b/stards.Well how do you do it he asks,well your a smart ass said I you know all about the credit game you tell me.That is the truth how it worked where did our money come from that's another story.Answers on a postcard please.

Regards.
Jim.B.

cappy
13th December 2018, 09:48 AM
My proudest possession was a pair of army boots about 3 sizes too big. Used to dubbin them and polish until they gleamed. They had steel heel studs , and used to clatter down the streets on my paper round at about 0630 any light sleepers must have been cursing me. My first job I had was shopping for a neighbour she used to give me half a crown. Work to a youngster then was an adventure on its own. Whether it was potato picking or whatever. I used to go regularly down to the fish Quay and Jump around the drifters and pick up all the old herrings lying in the scuppers . They tasted a lot better than the ones bought at the fishmongers. Cheers JS

###ah you had segs in your boots john .....one nice thing on my paper round was a lovely old dear always in black with white lace about her ...i always whistled on my round and she said if you whistle a song outside my door each morning i will give you sixpence sunday morning when you collect the money .....well i stuck to it but must say on some winter mornings with the mournful sound of ships sirens coming and going on the tyne and a north easter flying over the cliff tops my whistling may not have been tunefull or very long lasting ....she would often give me a sweet or a biscuit ...i was genuinly sorry when she died she was a grand old lady ....and even 65 years later still remembered....regards cappy

cappy
13th December 2018, 10:00 AM
I walked into my local pub one night after work a guy standing at the end of the bar in his usual position decided to make a fool of me for ripping people off in my job,what it was all about his wife had been knocked back for a shopping check.He got the audience all listening and proceeded to give it out about robbing b/stards robbing poor people.I said have you finished,yes,well now I will tell you,we are a charity,had all hands listening,a charity ,yes a charity we lose money on giving you say a 20.00 check.We give you 20.00 we charge you 0ne shilling in the pound total back 21.00.We pay the collector 1s7d in the pound for collecting it so we lose seven pence in every pound we give out.So we give out 20.00 and we get 19.7s 9d back we lose money on the deal just on the collector then we have my office rent rates light wages 1 manager 3 asst managers and 3 cashiers then we have all the staff at Head Ofiice in Bradford all tobe paid,out of what,we have lost money on what we gave you and you tell me we are robbing b/stards.Well how do you do it he asks,well your a smart ass said I you know all about the credit game you tell me.That is the truth how it worked where did our money come from that's another story.Answers on a postcard please.

Regards.
Jim.B.

###jim your money would only come from discount off the sellers to your customers..which would come to you..ie a commision ..but didnt provy go bust a while ago for mega bucks and many jobs cappy

Lewis McColl
13th December 2018, 10:05 AM
###john they were not easy times and when people keep trotting out about poverty it makes my blood boil.....we ducked some weeks when the rent man came ..the word was pased he is coming up the street....i got a bike which was what the window cleaner had used for carrying his ladders ....but it was a bike hand painted ...remember being told you are getting a bike for xmas ...i asked what colour ..i will never forget it was cobalt blue .....little did i know it was the window cleaners next door ....some mates had proper racers ..no doubt of the tally man .....but igot a paper round saved and got a silver dawes racer ieven got a dynamo on it ....i worked in a second hand shop honest jacks .....i helped the milky after my paper round....i was self sufficient ...it ever did me any harm ...one thing for sure i never got out for nowt ...except advice some good some bad...but can always remember being happy ........regards cappy

Admirable Cappy, like you I had wee jobs , paper round , help the Bread man or the milk man, sadly those jobs are not around anymore, how often do you see a milk float these days, the bread man, I suppose there is still the odd paper round to be had. My Lad as soon as he could got an after school job in Sainsbury's. As he was wanting to go to Uni I told him anything he saved from his wee job I would match it. Well he is not daft my lad he started to get extra shifts, some months I was having to put 160 away. When he was born from day one the family allowance was banked for him. I was earning good money so we did not dip into it. I did tell the DHS? we did not need the money so stop paying it. I was told it is not your money it is the childs . My lad went through Uni without ever having a student loan. Even at Uni he had a couple of jobs. After 4 years at Uni he left with no debt. He even got paid while he was doing his masters degree while in Bordeaux 1500 a month. He got a job teaching English to Bordeaux UNI students and he was able to do his Masters there.

Jim Brady
13th December 2018, 10:17 AM
Yes cappy we got a kickback off the shopkeeper,that is why it was always said if you are paying cash never go into a shop showing a Provident sticker on the window as they were likely to add the Provident commission on their price.I put a couple of shops off the books where customers said when they produced the Provident check they had to pay extra.It was a great company when I was there credit control was very tight that's a reason we had low arrears figures,went off the rails letting collectors give out the credit including the Personal Loans.When the Personal Loans came out I had like a hairdressers appointment book and I interviewed every customer that got a loan,just like the bank manager.Even then some kidded me and sneaked through.

Regards.
Jim.B.

cappy
13th December 2018, 10:18 AM
##true about there none of the old jobs lewis which is a pity ...the only ones i see in our village are helping on the farms ,,,gardening in a small way or washing your car which is never done correctly anyway.....grandson charlie did a few stints in chicken sheds ...them chickens are cannibals they eat the ones dead ....plus the stink and the running with rats is enough to put you off chicken and eggs .....he did at one stage say would i like to go into businness with him on free range chickens in green field areas with open sheds and let them out each day .....i have done my stint but if he ever got older with the same frame of mnd and im still here i could show an interest ...did always fancy being a pilot but not on a bleddy chicken farm.....cappy

cappy
13th December 2018, 10:23 AM
Yes cappy we got a kickback off the shopkeeper,that is why it was always said if you are paying cash never go into a shop showing a Provident sticker on the window as they were likely to add the Provident commission on their price.I put a couple of shops off the books where customers said when they produced the Provident check they had to pay extra.It was a great company when I was there credit control was very tight that's a reason we had low arrears figures,went off the rails letting collectors give out the credit including the Personal Loans.When the Personal Loans came out I had like a hairdressers appointment book and I interviewed every customer that got a loan,just like the bank manager.Even then some kidded me and sneaked through.

Regards.
Jim.B.

###my beloved had a best mate whos father was the provy office manager in shields ....he died through helping to paint a house his daughter was renting or buying ...and someone had put paint stripper in a lucozade bottle ...he had three or four gulps then of course in them days it was curtains ...his name was philps quite a young man in his late 30s or forties....

j.sabourn
13th December 2018, 10:32 AM
A bit like the old advance note. However it was much more complicated getting hire purchase with the signed agreements, personal borrowing history etc etc.
Coming to Australia in 1991 was extremely difficult to even hire a TV or anything new, was all second hand stuff. Having no credit rating today in lots of cases you are stuffed.
However as soon as I had money going into the bank regularly wage wise the bank. Was all over you. The money I had going in was well paid even for Australian average wages.
I immediately had my own personal banking adviser appointed to me , who I seldom listened to in any case, I bought 2 rental property’s on a mortgage more for advice given me by this adviser as was the only way to reduce personal tax.
When I sold them I lost out on them . So much for financial advice. The only and best way to survive in old age is to have no debt whatsoever, keep away from credit cards and pay your bills on time.
Even from the small pensions I have, I still save a moderate amount each month, without scimping on the better things in life. I have no doubt if I had stayed in England the way I was going I would still be paying or trying to pay off my mortgage . My father He was a socialist and didn’t believe in buying or even building his own house which he could have personally done himself. He preferred to pay rent. I was totally opposed to that so our politics didn’t match. He was a fine honest man in his own ways, but that was the way he was brought up. I lived in a Council house for 6 years before going to sea and my brother still lives there today. However on the times I have been back the people types who used to live in the area were mostly all honest working folk , today I would call them other things which I might get sued if I said what I would like to say. I bought my own house immediately I got married well at least within 6 months. JS

Jim Brady
13th December 2018, 10:37 AM
We met managers from different areas at our conferences,at one time held in Harrogate before my time.I did quite a few at Scarborough when it was the Royal Grand,now a dump and also Blackpool.

The Jew boy that was the tallyman where I lived drove a green Morris as soon as it turned into our street there would be a scatter of kids and the front doors closed.He was heard to say one day,I'd get a better answer at Ford Cemetery,my mother never owed anybody a penny.

When I was out and about doing calls I heard a kid telling other kids,we play this game in our house with my mum when there is a knock on the door we all hide behind the settee.

Regards.
Jim.B.

Rodney Mills
13th December 2018, 07:34 PM
It wasn't a tallyman that got me into trouble it was the insurance man who came every week for the premium payment. I can still see him. He had the largest nose on any human I've ever seen. He had a well worn raincoat and hat and did his rounds on a bike in all weathers.

I was just back in London from evacuation in Yorkshire, so I must have been about seven or eight. I had heard my grandmother yarning with my aunt about him and they mentioned him by name...an unusual name, so I paid attention, listening hard so I would remember it.

It was pouring cats and dogs, cold and no day for playing out. I'm in the front room, Gran and my aunt are in the kitchen. I could see the insurance man park his bike, open the gate and walk towards the front door. I raced to the door and as soon as he knocked I opened the door. "Is your grandma home son?"

He looked like a drowned rat, soaked, cold, and with a big dew-drop dangling from his nose. I turned around the towards the kitchen down the hall and shouted proudly as loud as I could. "Grandma...It's Scnozzle!"

I bet walking from the kitchen to the front door was the longest walk my grandma ever made to have to say "I'll have to double up next week, I'm a bit short this week." or something like that. Her plan had been to keep quiet and let him figure no one was home.:cool:

Oh! I have an Insurance certificate somewhere that was taken out on my life shortly after I was born in 1937, For 2/6, payout on my death. I wonder how much a funeral cost back then? With compound interest it's probably redeemable for a five pound cash surrender payout, or a bit more to clear an old debt of the books.

Keith Tindell
13th December 2018, 09:38 PM
Love that Rodney, gave a big laugh, best laugh for some time, kt

j.sabourn
13th December 2018, 11:05 PM
Very true to life though. People born later well after the war would not believe half the stories. We live today in a materialistic world where if you want something you get it regardless of debt. I had 600 pounds in the bank when I got married in 1962, that was a large sum for those days , with that put the deposit down on a house 240 pounds on a 2,450 pound house with the remainder furnished the house mostly with G plan furniture , no carpets just Lino, had no money for stair carpet so had to buy on the HP , and never relaxed until that was paid off. Most couples newly married lived with parents until saved for the deposit on a house or flat. Today the banks make borrowing too easy. As regards the world burying itself in a pile of rubbish and the call for recycling...this is an old theme and was being adhered to long before many on here were born. Refundable glassware such as bottles, was the one way of doing so. As kids we could get into some of the Saturday movies with two empty jam jars. People used to make their own rugs with pieces of scrap materials. People valued what they owned. Today everything is discarded when people get sick of the sight of. People have everything and they have nothing, especially when they don’t appreciate what they do have. Third world countries see all this through the power of the present day media, and say we want some of that, and decide to illegally invade other countries in the guise of seeking safe havens. The soft western countries which are already polluted with the pc people and other conscience ridden people who can’t see past the end of their noses aid and abet them causing further furores of trouble in an already over populated world. JS

Des Taff Jenkins
14th December 2018, 12:09 AM
I never worked as a kid, in our village it would have done the local post office cum shop owner out of his job, he did the paper round, postman, plus the shop, he was the thinnest man in the village. But then talking about working as a kid, I started in the tin works when i was fourteen and I can say without contradiction that no one today up to the age of twenty would be able to do that work, girls the same age worked there handling big packs of tinplate.
As for borrowing, never borrowed any money in my life , never had time payment always saved up until we could afford it.
Cheers Des

robpage
14th December 2018, 03:36 AM
I don't know what the rate of interest is if you calculate it but I know somebody that borrowed 400 last year and paid it off over 40 weeks at 20 a week we knew that they had paid back 800 in 40 weeks that in my mind is greater than 100% interest . But I am assuming that by the time the provi collector has been round every week , and drawn a wage , at the administration been paid for and the bad debt gearing has been covered it actually sounds almost fair . The local loan shark lend you money this week and next week you pay him 50% of the money you borrowed so if you borrow 100 on Tuesday next week you have 150 debt and a lot of the people that borrow from them have absolutely no other choice .

I listen to the demands that children put on adults and I think that even though we wanted lots of things that we knew that my mum and dad couldn't afford I just don't ever think that we asked for them you was always very pleased with what you got , I don't think today's Society is geared up in the same way .

My grandma used to run a Littlewoods catalogue and I think her children used to pay in something like 5 shillings a week and every 6 months had 5 or 6 pounds to spend and gran made something like a shilling in the pound commission . It was almost like you waited your turn and everybody had a go at spending the 5 but you might have to wait 6 months for your turn .

happy daze john in oz
14th December 2018, 05:38 AM
By the age of 9 I was doing weekends on a Pig farm for 10 shillings a time.
At 11 I started a paper round and continued with the Pigs.

Apart from home loans only had ones for vehicles.
Mum used to pay into the Co-Op weekly for cheques we used to buy clothes, about 10 bob a week I think she paid.

Made me take out a term insurance on my life when I went to sea, it was for 44 years.
Paid out a couple of years ago and got back 17.5 times what I paid in.

If you want it work for it, do not borrow from any other place than some one of total integrity, stay away from the back yard lenders.

robpage
14th December 2018, 07:31 AM
The Union Castle ships in Southampton used to have a guy visit them to sell insurance from I think the national mutual of australasia and in those days they wanted 10 a month of you I thought that bloody ridiculous I just wonder what it would have been worth today if I have paid the 10 a month for the 40 years

Jim Brady
14th December 2018, 10:25 AM
We hear that people saved up till they had the money to pay cash for what they wanted many families couldn't get through the week on the wage that they had coming in and most little grocers as they were then gave them groceries on tick.Go into the shop on Friday settle up the weekly bill and start again next week.It did happen "I'l put your name in the window" I seen many shops with bad payers names in the window,some small shops used to have DEBT OF THE WEEK these were handy for the tally man as if he got a new call he could look in the shop windows and see if his new prospect was listed.

I recall women coming into the office as a new customer answering the questions on the application form when they were asked husbands occupation they would reply in a low voice docker does that mean I cant have it.At that time the dockers were on poor pay unless they got 5 7 0'clocks and the weekend,the nugget as it was called.When the dockers went on the new scheme and the wives were asked husbands occupation they would answer in a very loud voice DOCKER.
Regards.
Jim.B.
As a matter of interest Provident were all over the UK but one place they would not go into was Hull I wonder why that was,was it that the fishing industry was too casual.

Keith Tindell
14th December 2018, 10:58 AM
I think the modern way Jim, is much the same as you say, but not on tick in the grocers, but the dreaded piece of plastic, i see that Barclays are putting in place a system to stop people getting out of control with plastic cards. I remember at school, my brother was 4 years younger than myself, and my old man worked for the local big wig, and walking down the village one day, was stopped by the ice cream van, the the guy in the van asked him if he had a ginger haired nipper who was at the village school, he then told the old man that he owed 4/6p , as my brother had run up tick on the ice cream van at the school gate, needless to say the old man was not a happy bunny, kt

cappy
14th December 2018, 11:40 AM
We hear that people saved up till they had the money to pay cash for what they wanted many families couldn't get through the week on the wage that they had coming in and most little grocers as they were then gave them groceries on tick.Go into the shop on Friday settle up the weekly bill and start again next week.It did happen "I'l put your name in the window" I seen many shops with bad payers names in the window,some small shops used to have DEBT OF THE WEEK these were handy for the tally man as if he got a new call he could look in the shop windows and see if his new prospect was listed.

I recall women coming into the office as a new customer answering the questions on the application form when they were asked husbands occupation they would reply in a low voice docker does that mean I cant have it.At that time the dockers were on poor pay unless they got 5 7 0'clocks and the weekend,the nugget as it was called.When the dockers went on the new scheme and the wives were asked husbands occupation they would answer in a very loud voice DOCKER.
Regards.
Jim.B.
As a matter of interest Provident were all over the UK but one place they would not go into was Hull I wonder why that was,was it that the fishing industry was too casual.

you say people saved up as if it was impossible jim .....if you cant afford it dont buy it ..that is what the problem with the left is ....ooops take all you want somebody else will pay .....the never never and the pay later has been the ruin of this country ....as for the followers on of the provy type companies ..they have weak people hooked ....charging 100s of percent interest for the no hopers who wont pay there rent ist which is the most required thing for any family.....leaving them in a state of penury and distress most of there lives and breeding there children to live the same lifestyle...that jim is why there will always be the ....haves and the have nothings .....there money has gone before they see it .....tally men well they would starve before they got out from me .....poverty and degredation caused by having what they cant afford .....then off to the food bank and blame somebody else .....how sad a life they must endure....but then that is the state of play now ........cappy

Jim Brady
14th December 2018, 12:01 PM
Cappy nothing wrong with borrowing money if it is spent on the right things.This country is still borrowing WHAT are they doing with it,lets forget about high employment lets talk about high knife crime,high attacks on prison officers the NHS talking about a bad winter hospitals are already suffering a shortage of beds and winter hasn't arrived yet.So let them borrow more money and lets have more bobbies on the beat,more prison officers more money for the NHS. you cant' run a country on fresh air.if they don't want to borrow let them get after the big tax dodgers.I'l tell you one thing the people who used Provident wisely had the best houses on the estate,yes lived in comfort.
Regards.
Jim.B.

cappy
14th December 2018, 12:40 PM
Cappy nothing wrong with borrowing money if it is spent on the right things.This country is still borrowing WHAT are they doing with it,lets forget about high employment lets talk about high knife crime,high attacks on prison officers the NHS talking about a bad winter hospitals are already suffering a shortage of beds and winter hasn't arrived yet.So let them borrow more money and lets have more bobbies on the beat,more prison officers more money for the NHS. you cant' run a country on fresh air.if they don't want to borrow let them get after the big tax dodgers.I'l tell you one thing the people who used Provident wisely had the best houses on the estate,yes lived in comfort.
Regards.
Jim.B.

perhaps you should go into politics jim ......you ask all the questions about whats wrong .....and you answer appears to be borrow more than you earn ...then use the food banks when you cant pay it back .....then blame the banks bussiness owners and any one who is creating wealth for the food banks ...that to me is tantamount to a circle where you end up in the dark having dissapeard up your own rectum ...but sadly taken everybody else up there with you ....as the song goes ...come and join us come and join us theres room for thousands more .....ah well finish for me on this jim ...but do you honestly think borrowing to eat and paying interest on top of that is a reasonable train of thought...its just more debt which means more borrowing......sad

Jim Brady
14th December 2018, 12:49 PM
Cappy are you never happy you go bananas over the unemployed and now going nuts over people who borrow money,why should you let such things get you down you don't have a care in the world.

Look at this man,now here is a good story.
Regards.
Jim.B.https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/butcher-handing-out-free-christmas-13726198

cappy
14th December 2018, 01:15 PM
Cappy are you never happy you go bananas over the unemployed and now going nuts over people who borrow money,why should you let such things get you down you don't have a care in the world.

Look at this man,now here is a good story.
Regards.
Jim.B.https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/butcher-handing-out-free-christmas-13726198

whoops careful jim your getting almost apopleptic its no good at your age calm down it is not beneficial....i have no intention in opening your story from the daily mirror lets just look after our own ....im off to canny shields later today or ist thing in the morning for a couple of days....cappy

Fouro
14th December 2018, 01:24 PM
The only Tally men I ever heard off were Italian prisoners of war held in Castle Rankine POW camp during WW2. The Tally Camp as it was called was situated less than a mile from where we lived.

Fouro.

Jim Brady
14th December 2018, 01:27 PM
Cappy open the story we may have a Christmas miracle you may change your ways it could become another Christmas Carol,No more Bah Humbug.
Regards.
Jim.B.

j.sabourn
14th December 2018, 01:37 PM
#34... Fouro how about Harry Belafonte singing Tally me Bananas. Whenever bananas are mentioned these days all roads lead to Brussels. Rome comes at the end of the queue. JS.

cappy
14th December 2018, 01:39 PM
Cappy open the story we may have a Christmas miracle you may change your ways it could become another Christmas Carol,No more Bah Humbug.
Regards.
Jim.B.

jim no i wont open it on purpose .....i think it may be bob cratchit asking for more money for his little son ....and scrooge sending him to the food banks.....while the tally man brays on the door and poor mrs cratcchit.has to run up the jiggy dressed in fur coat and no nickers after taking another loan from the provy man who is demanding a bit more than is his due....lol cappy

robpage
14th December 2018, 02:00 PM
my old dad returning from Singapore in 1946 took a job on opencast mining , driving a tipper for 6 a week , rent on the old cottage was 10/- a week , an old friend offered him a pair of semi detached houses for 400 , 17/6 a week for 20 years , live in one , rent the other , he would not take a loan , died 55 years later in the rented house , at a much bigger rent , the pair are worth 180,000 today , he made sure I bought

Tony Taylor
14th December 2018, 03:17 PM
whoops careful jim your getting almost apopleptic its no good at your age calm down it is not beneficial....i have no intention in opening your story from the daily mirror lets just look after our own ....im off to canny shields later today or ist thing in the morning for a couple of days....cappy

Amber warning posted for tomorrow mind, freezing rain, ice and snow and high winds

cappy
14th December 2018, 03:25 PM
Amber warning posted for tomorrow mind, freezing rain, ice and snow and high winds

###thanks tony will check the weather later ....always look forward to coming up to shields but if its that cold cant promise to swim out to the end of the pier....may have to swim in between the piers ........honest.......................

happy daze john in oz
15th December 2018, 05:57 AM
We have a system here in Oz called 'lay by'.
Buy the goods but pay off a bit each week until all paid then you can take the goods but not before.

Now we have a new one 'pay way', a form of hire purchase.

Buy, give the vendor your details and a direct debit will be taken each month until paid.
Many are against this system and are shocked that it ever got off the ground.

robpage
15th December 2018, 06:21 AM
There is a place for loan companies , some lend too easily at too high a rate to people who tell lies on the application