PDA

View Full Version : Shipworth - What was / does this mean?

Steve Ellis
23rd September 2018, 10:14 AM
Just a quick question re the above. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten!

Thanks!
HTSCF

j.sabourn
23rd September 2018, 10:54 AM
Sounds like the name of a place to me. Know of an old picture hall in Gateshead called the Shipcote. Never heard of it applying in ships business unless referring it to the value of a ship. Where and what reference have you heard it used Cheers JS

Keith at Tregenna
23rd September 2018, 11:29 AM
The name Shipworth arrived in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Shipworth family lived in Yorkshire, at Skipwith, a village and civil parish about 4 miles (6.4 km) northeast of Selby. Skipwith Hall was built in the early 1700's and still survives today as "a handsome mansion."
Literally, the place name means "sheep farm, from the Old English words "scip" +"wic"
and was first listed as Schipewic in the Domesday Book of 1086.

K.

Steve Ellis
23rd September 2018, 12:41 PM
Sorry, should've been more specific. Shipworth in the context of an occupation.
HTSCF

j.sabourn
23rd September 2018, 12:50 PM
Maybe refers to some older occupation like shipwright for a ship carpenter. Never heard it used. But lots of things have never heard. Maybe someone will make us all a bit wiser. Cheers JS.

robpage
23rd September 2018, 12:55 PM
My pure guess was some ancient term for scrap value

Keith at Tregenna
23rd September 2018, 02:38 PM
Could you add your source ? it may assist,

just wondering at the context etc.

K.

Red Lead Ted
23rd September 2018, 02:57 PM
Steve, You sure you don't mean Ship worthy, Know that can appertain to a few things aboard ship. Terry. :thumb_ship:

happy daze john in oz
24th September 2018, 06:21 AM
Steve, You sure you don't mean Ship worthy, Know that can appertain to a few things aboard ship. Terry. :thumb_ship:

NOw Terry as you would know having been with UCL, ship worthy applies to all silver that can be exchanged in Las Palmas for smokes, drinks etc.

Lewis McColl
24th September 2018, 07:41 AM
Shipworth!!! wordsworth , jobsworth. Perhaps a shipworth was someone who would write an article on a particular ship and advertise her to potential ship managers or for Charter?

j.sabourn
24th September 2018, 08:39 AM
R.S. Dalgliesh ships were Ravensworth, Silksworh, Pennyworth, Warkworth, was on all of them. Maybe if they had lasted they may have in time have got round to a Shipsworth. So in the case when I worked for them the descriptive word was Raven, Silks, Penny, and Wark, wark being Geordie for work and a Penny all knowing what it is , I think they were aptly named. JS

Doc Vernon
24th September 2018, 09:20 AM
What is a Ship Worth

Depends on the size and Condition ! Sorry LOL:hangman:

Red Lead Ted
26th September 2018, 08:33 AM
That's a good point Vern, Imagine if they could have raised the Titanic even in 2 parts just after she went down. And entered her up for auction she would have been worth a fortune, On the other hand Salvage hunters around the world will leave some wrecks simply because no one is prepared to purchase or want them. Everything comes down to money sadly these days. Terry. :Sinking:

happy daze john in oz
27th September 2018, 06:53 AM
What is a Ship Worth

Depends on the size and Condition ! Sorry LOL:hangman:

On the beach at Alang it all depends on how many razor blades they can get out of it LOL

Bob McGahey
2nd October 2018, 11:22 AM
I sailed on the Letchworth, Dagleish & co . wonder where they got that one from ?

j.sabourn
2nd October 2018, 11:33 AM
When were the you on the Letchworth Bob ? That must have been a long time ago. Wasn’t during he War was it ?
Mind do believe there’s a lot of letchs aroubnd the watergate building area. JS

Bob McGahey
2nd October 2018, 12:01 PM
hello John, Joined in November 1952/March 1953. West hartlepool "Jeep: Medi/ North African trading Captain J Clough. Bob.

j.sabourn
2nd October 2018, 02:36 PM
Joined them late 63 early 64. They only had the Pennyworth, Ravensworth, Silksworth and Warkworth then. Thought you might have been with them, when old Dalgliesh went to jail, but that’s going too far back, as was during the war. Think he was after a knighthood the money he spent on Churchill in the Hudson Bay. He never would though as had a police record. The Family had a lot of misfortune in the latter years. Cheers JS.

Tony Taylor
7th October 2018, 11:01 AM
Sounds like the name of a place to me. Know of an old picture hall in Gateshead called the Shipcote. Never heard of it applying in ships business unless referring it to the value of a ship. Where and what reference have you heard it used Cheers JS

Shipcote Art Gallery - Gateshead - still there.