PDA

View Full Version : General Election on 8 June

Keith at Tregenna
18th April 2017, 10:41 AM
Theresa May is seeking to hold a General Election on 8 June arguing it is the only way to secure stability ahead of Brexit.

The shock move follows speculation the Prime Minister would call a poll to shore up her parliamentary position as Britain leaves the EU and given Labour's dire position in the polls.

Under the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act, introduced under the last coalition government, the next election was not due until 2020.

However, a poll can be called before then if backed by two thirds of MPs or if there is a no confidence vote in the Government.

The PM is to table a motion in the House of Commons on Wednesday and has called on MPs to back an election.

Jeremy Corbyn has previously said Labour was ready to take its case to the country, but many MPs are likely to have private reservations, given the party's poor performance.

Making the dramatic announcement, following the weekly Cabinet meeting, Mrs May said she had come to the decision "reluctantly", but argued other political parties opposed Brexit.

Keith at Tregenna
18th April 2017, 10:48 AM
Theresa May is seeking to hold a General Election on 8 June.

Theresa May has called a general election for 8 June 2017 – a stunning U-turn. She and her spokespeople have repeatedly denied that she would call one.

Here are some of the times she has previously ruled out an election.

June 30 2017

"There should be no general election until 2020. There should be a normal autumn statement held in the normal way, at the normal time, and no emergency budget."

September 4 2016

“I’m not going to be calling a snap election. I’ve been very clear that I think we need that period of time, that stability, to be able to deal with the issues that the country is facing and have that election in 2020.”

October 1 2016

"Theresa May has ruled out the possibility of a general election before 2020 due to the risk of "instability" posed by a snap vote."

March 7 2017

"A No 10 source said: "It's not going to happen. It's not something she plans to do or wishes to do.""

March 20 2017

"A Downing Street spokesperson told a briefing of journalists in Westminster on Monday morning: “There is no change in our position on an early general election. There is not going to be a general election.” "

John Pruden
18th April 2017, 11:08 AM
KEITH I think she aims to pick the right crew for the task ahead far to much b.t..ing going on and she cant trust the crew she has got? jp

John Arton
18th April 2017, 11:14 AM
She is basically challenging Labour, Liberals , the SNP and the unelected House of Lords to stand up and defy her over Brexit. Those parties are adamant that they will do anything to derail Brexit.
Ass-hole politicians and pundits are on the news programs pontificating and calling each other from the go.
rgds
JA

John Pruden
18th April 2017, 11:31 AM
lets see how many of the eu stayers jump ship so they can stay at the trough. I think she is a very clever woman hit them all while they are at their lowest while other parties are in disarray she is the only safe bet. labour man all my life but she is the captain now and will follow her? jp

cappy
18th April 2017, 11:39 AM
lets see how many of the eu stayers jump ship so they can stay at the trough. I think she is a very clever woman hit them all while they are at their lowest while other parties are in disarray she is the only safe bet. labour man all my life but she is the captain now and will follow her? jp###corbyn will in the next few weeks offer bigger min wage .....less tax on income free meals for all more money for nurses teachers the NHS pensioners....cheaper petrol council tax ...and of course would lead us back to ....THERE IS NO MONEY LEFT as he and his weird little band build up the debts again ...can any one vote for that cloud mclusky dreamland again....the mind boggles....cmon theresa stick it to them .......cappy

happy daze john in oz
18th April 2017, 12:27 PM
Viewing this from afar I am not surprised at the election call as it was suggested some weeks ago she may call on for May.

But I do not consider a 7 week run up a snap poll, this is along campaign and I just hope she can pull it off. Seven weeks is along time for the opposition to get it's act together. Three weeks is a good snap poll time, hope she has got it right.

But I do agree about the Brexit part of this, now is the time she needs good men behind her and the country to follow.

So go stick it up 'em lady!

Time to put the Great back into Britain.

Keith Tindell
18th April 2017, 01:01 PM
John in Oz, you say 7 years is a long time for the opposition to get their act together, but Labour Party would need 7 years to do that, I am convinced Corbyn is a Tory plant, done enough damage for one, kt

vic mcclymont
18th April 2017, 01:32 PM
TM has done the right thing by calling an election. Hopefully she will kill off, Corbyn, Farron and Sturgeon in one fell swoop.
Regards
Vic

Lewis McColl
18th April 2017, 02:36 PM
No surprise at my response here just my opinion. She will end up with a hung parliament. If she does it will be back into bed with the Lib Dems again and they will insist on a second referendum. Sorry, now steady, take a deep breath, count to 10, and fire away lol.
I think the Labour party will ditch Corbyn before the due date the man is an idiot. I can see the Lib Dems doing well out of this, they will push Labour into 3rd spot.

John Albert Evans
18th April 2017, 02:44 PM
Good for her and hopefully she will win with a large majority but you will still get the other so call leaders saying she fixed it. Corbyn :icon_violin:Farron:confused: Sturgeon:mad: The rest of them don't count really do they
Just the thoughts of an elderly man passing the time of day

John Albert Evans.

John F Collier
18th April 2017, 10:57 PM
No surprise at my response here just my opinion. She will end up with a hung parliament. If she does it will be back into bed with the Lib Dems again and they will insist on a second referendum. Sorry, now steady, take a deep breath, count to 10, and fire away lol.
I think the Labour party will ditch Corbyn before the due date the man is an idiot. I can see the Lib Dems doing well out of this, they will push Labour into 3rd spot.

Anything can happen in an Election Lewis, as a remainer you are bound to hope for the result you've predicted, just as I
hope for a big win win for the PM to strengthen her arm in the Brexit negotiations and the hard Brexit I'm hoping for, the
only outcome I can be certain of is that I'll get a sleeples night sitting up watching the results come in "I love it" :). JFC

Lewis McColl
18th April 2017, 11:36 PM
Yes I am a remainer but my big worry is it will be the end of the United Kingdom. Scotland will vote for independence and N Ireland will very likely go the same way and have a vote on a United Ireland, which is very achievable now. The DUP only have 1 seat majority over Sinn Fein in Stormont and one thing about Sinn Fein is they can get the voters out. Sadly there will be blood as the hard men will hit the streets again.

John F Collier
19th April 2017, 12:17 AM
#13, Personally I think Ireland should be a whole country but if the people of northern Ireland wish to remain as part of the UK
they should be allowed to, I don't think Scotland will get the independence that the SNP crave, as the majority of Scots don't
want it and I'm confident the UK will be fine after Brexit, not so sure of the EU's future as it stands as there is a lot of feeling
running against Brussels we could see it all implode if Marine Le Pen should become president of France. JFC

Des Taff Jenkins
19th April 2017, 12:29 AM
Hi All.
Just my view . If Theresa May needs two thirds of Parliament to call an election she might not get it, just think about it, so many of the political class look to their wallets first, and the way that the EU has treated Britain since the Brexit vote it will turn many more people against the MP's who want to stay in. It's pity that you haven't got the same rules that we have where the Prime minister can call a double dissolution, that is both houses face an election, that would wake up the slumbering class in the Lords. From what I can gather the Labour Party in Britain are struggling; when you think that they wanted to stay in Europe and the main working class areas; normally Labour voters; voted to get out. There again it is no longer a Labour Party they are just like ours; they just mouth old slogans to get their snouts into the trough.
Cheers Des

Peter F Chard
19th April 2017, 03:22 AM
Although it is over fifty years since I left the UK I do remember that the local MP was a Tory and the brother of an Earl. The only contribution the MP made to the electorate was to present a brace of pheasant from his estate to the Conservative Club for the annual Xmas raffle, he sat in the Lower House for thirty or more years and never made a speech. He eventually inherited his brother's title and then sat in the Upper House. Again, he never made a speech whilst in the Lord's but did continue with the gift of a brace of pheasants !! The town was ever so grateful !!! Regards Peter in NZ.

happy daze john in oz
19th April 2017, 06:10 AM
Lewis, article 50 has been signed and delivered so another referendum would do nothing.

As to the two thirds needed for this election to get on the road, I do not see many MP's voting no as by doing so they may well risk the ire of the public when the next one comes around.
As to Ireland, the North may want to but will the South take them back. There are many in the South who are very satified with the status quo. Scotland cannot afford to break away.

Who would replace Corbyn and would the public trust such a person?

Just my observations from afar an a subject I follow on the net.

One point, heard today she only currently has a majority of 17, thought it was more.

One further point, the UK Labor party, like the one here in Oz, have little or no concept of matter fiscal and could not run a raffle without stuffing up the receipts for it. The last one both in UK and here in Oz created vast debts which the current govs have to try and fix. Put labor back at your peril I say as if you do your GG grand children will still be paying off the debts.

Lewis McColl
19th April 2017, 08:31 AM
As a good leader for the Labour party would have been Harriet Harmon at least she can string a sentence together. The Tories are ripping the heart out of the NHS and social welfare. There are genuine people who do need social welfare to survive but I do agree it should be done in such away that it is a life line and not as some of the scum seem to think of it as a life style.
I will admit to having been new Labour early doors but they did lose their way. If they could get back to the centre ground again instead of the looney left they would get my vote, sadly with this clown that is not going to happen. Brexit is a done deal nothing I can do to change that, so the UK need to send Brussels a strong message and give PM May a landslide. The French are screwed as they are split between Left and far right and as for the Germans feck em.

John Pruden
19th April 2017, 08:40 AM
although not a conservative fan but I will say she is the right person for the job at this time labour will say the nhs is priority and rightly so but five million extra people have come in at a very short time we can only do so much with what we have got? non of the other leaders are strong enough at this time and we need a steady ship without the crew bickering as some members of parliament even on her own side it will be hard enough to steer us out of the mess we are in so let her do her job? jp

cappy
19th April 2017, 08:48 AM
Although it is over fifty years since I left the UK I do remember that the local MP was a Tory and the brother of an Earl. The only contribution the MP made to the electorate was to present a brace of pheasant from his estate to the Conservative Club for the annual Xmas raffle, he sat in the Lower House for thirty or more years and never made a speech. He eventually inherited his brother's title and then sat in the Upper House. Again, he never made a speech whilst in the Lord's but did continue with the gift of a brace of pheasants !! The town was ever so grateful !!! Regards Peter in NZ.a bloody spendthrift i say he could have given one pheasant to the food bank ......cappy

cappy
19th April 2017, 09:16 AM
louis you hit the nail on the head ...ie harriet harman can string a sentence together .....that is in your opinion what is required for the leader of the opposition in this great country ......the NHS is perhaps not running to one hundred percent .....but i can only say my family here have had the most brilliant services from the NHS over many years....yes there are faults there are faults in every thing except heaven if yoiu believe in that ...the main problem is people decrying it .....as for social care this is dragged down time after time as a red herring by the loony left ....my mother in law when retired on her state pension and the benefits given stated she had never been so well off in her life ...im sorry louis but it doesnt wash with me ....i always bring to mind two statements ....one ...much will have more .....and the AB out of shields standing outside the galley complaining to the cook who has no say in what is given to cook....and stating eff this we have had lamb already this week ....i lived 7 doors away from his family ..and believe me they never had meat it was fish and chips and boiled potato sanwiches.....and jam and bread for puddings....i cannot go without saying in the south of france many years ago my boy was seriously ill the frog doctor gave me at great cost an ampoule of i dont know what and said yoiu inject him ......i went back to the caravan we had hired and drove non stop from the south of france to callais where a doctor on the ship examined him and packed him in ice into dover ...we arrived at 3 in the morning and the boy was treated correctly......i have no respect for the name labour party .....not one of them done a days labour in there lives ...the true leader of the labour is unites mclusky .....he barks and labour wags its tale.....cappy

John Pruden
19th April 2017, 10:44 AM
cappy I worked at lens house when he moved from London I always found him a nice fella and a true labour man.. jp

cappy
19th April 2017, 10:48 AM
cappy I worked at lens house when he moved from London I always found him a nice fella and a true labour man.. jp###a lot of people found hitler or attila the hun nice blokes john they sure both had a lot of followers ....cappy

John Pruden
19th April 2017, 10:53 AM
I always take a person as I find him worked for a lot worse than him capp :p and they were supposed to be working class:p jp

John F Collier
19th April 2017, 02:02 PM
A very good result for the PM in the vote for a General Election 522 for 13 against, so it's on and hopefully the PM will get
the majority in Parliament that she needs for a strong response to Junker and Co, bring it on. cheers JFC

John Pruden
19th April 2017, 02:09 PM
john?? so that's 13 black balled time to work together we are out/going from the eu we can put the great back into Britain lets hope the scots can see right through the poison dwarf and vote for common sense and stay with us.. jp

John F Collier
19th April 2017, 02:45 PM
john?? so that's 13 black balled time to work together we are out/going from the eu we can put the great back into Britain lets hope the scots can see right through the poison dwarf and vote for common sense and stay with us.. jp

Well there's no telling who voted against John , they could be from any party, I do know that the SNP abstained as they say
they only believe in a fixed term, but who cares what the SNP thinks all they're interested in is throwing a spanner in the
works of Brexit. As you say, hope the Scottish people will vote mighty mouth out of office, I think they might just of had
enough of her ranting, I always turn the to another station when she comeson the telly :). cheers JFC

cappy
19th April 2017, 02:47 PM
Well there's no telling who voted against John , they could be from any party, I do know that the SNP abstained as they say
they only believe in a fixed term, but who cares what the SNP thinks all they're interested in is throwing a spanner in the
works of Brexit. As you say, hope the Scottish people will vote mighty mouth out of office, I think they might just of had
enough of her ranting, I always turn the to another station when she comeson the telly :). cheers JFC##i believe that an abstension is classed as a no in the voting system of parliament...regards cappy

John F Collier
19th April 2017, 03:15 PM
##i believe that an abstension is classed as a no in the voting system of parliament...regards cappy

I can't see how that's possible cappy as it would be a form of vote rigging, an abstention is neither negative or positive and
to my mind can only be classed as non existent, there was 13 against votes and there are 56 SNP MP's at Westminster so
that isn't in keeping with what you say, I haven't looked at the Parliament rules but really can't believe it would count as
anything at all. cheers JFC

cappy
19th April 2017, 03:34 PM
I can't see how that's possible cappy as it would be a form of vote rigging, an abstention is neither negative or positive and
to my mind can only be classed as non existent, there was 13 against votes and there are 56 SNP MP's at Westminster so
that isn't in keeping with what you say, I haven't looked at the Parliament rules but really can't believe it would count as
anything at all. cheers JFC###only reiterating what was stated earlier and i believe means they do not support the motion so is therefore a no.....which when read correctly is they are not voting for the motion.....cappy

John F Collier
19th April 2017, 03:57 PM
###only reiterating what was stated earlier and i believe means they do not support the motion so is therefore a no.....which when read correctly is they are not voting for the motion.....cappy

Or against the motion, so whichever way you read it cappy it is neither a yes or a no, look it up and find out which rule
Parliament works by. cheers JFC

cappy
19th April 2017, 05:00 PM
Or against the motion, so whichever way you read it cappy it is neither a yes or a no, look it up and find out which rule
Parliament works by. cheers JFC###to be honest am not bothered one way or another i only stated what a MP said on the television.....ie you iether vote for a motion..or you do not by abstaining to vote for the motion....the motion was carried

John Albert Evans
19th April 2017, 05:33 PM
Another good thing has come about with the forthcoming election and that is that (George to you and I) but Gideon to family and friends Osbourne is standing down as an MP. that man caused so much damage to the country bye hidden and taxes to come in later. I remember him standing in front of the cameras stating that all pensioners will receive a basic £155.00 per week and was smirking all over his face but when it came time for that to be implemented it turned out to be a load of lies and he knew it at the time what he was announcing was a load of lies

John

John F Collier
19th April 2017, 05:50 PM
###to be honest am not bothered one way or another i only stated what a MP said on the television.....ie you iether vote for a motion..or you do not by abstaining to vote for the motion....the motion was carried

Oh well, we all know how they like to bamboozle folks :) JFC

Keith at Tregenna
19th April 2017, 05:56 PM

John F Collier
19th April 2017, 06:22 PM
Another good thing has come about with the forthcoming election and that is that (George to you and I) but Gideon to family and friends Osbourne is standing down as an MP. that man caused so much damage to the country bye hidden and taxes to come in later. I remember him standing in front of the cameras stating that all pensioners will receive a basic £155.00 per week and was smirking all over his face but when it came time for that to be implemented it turned out to be a load of lies and he knew it at the time what he was announcing was a load of lies

John

Hi John, I think Osborne had to quit as an MP there was a lot of people calling for him to go as he was doing no less than
six jobs while he was still an MP, he is raking in money hand over fist, I know you should never judge a person by their looks
but with Gideon it was written all over his face he looks "and is" a self serving, smarmy and smug man, he showed what he was all about at the Scottish referendum and Brexit campaigne's with his scare tacticts. he was lying his teeth out. cheers JFC

John Pruden
19th April 2017, 07:52 PM
john my wife waited from 4th nov last year she finally got her pension last week?? jp

John F Collier
20th April 2017, 12:21 AM
Lewis, article 50 has been signed and delivered so another referendum would do nothing.

As to the two thirds needed for this election to get on the road, I do not see many MP's voting no as by doing so they may well risk the ire of the public when the next one comes around.
As to Ireland, the North may want to but will the South take them back. There are many in the South who are very satified with the status quo. Scotland cannot afford to break away.

Who would replace Corbyn and would the public trust such a person?

Just my observations from afar an a subject I follow on the net.

One point, heard today she only currently has a majority of 17, thought it was more.

One further point, the UK Labor party, like the one here in Oz, have little or no concept of matter fiscal and could not run a raffle without stuffing up the receipts for it. The last one both in UK and here in Oz created vast debts which the current govs have to try and fix. Put labor back at your peril I say as if you do your GG grand children will still be paying off the debts.

Well the PM got her vote for the GE to go ahead so were in for another dose of electioneering and baby kissing with lots
of false promises and gushing smiles, there are still remainers among the tory MP's I wonder how they will answer a doorstep
question in a town known to favour leaving the EU :), methinks lies will be the order of the day, Ken Clark is a veteran
tory MP and a staunch remainer, he is 76 years old and is going to stand again in the coming election he has already
voted against the government over Brexit so he will be a thorn in their side I think MP's should be made to retire by the
age of seventy, as some of their decisions are dodgy to say the least, also think the lords as it is should be abolished, JFC

Evan Lewis
20th April 2017, 02:17 AM
Re. Post 16 Peter Chard. [QUOTE=cappy;259852]a bloody spendthrift i say he could have given one pheasant to the food bank ......

Reminded of the one,re.the starving Hobo.
One Winters day,He knocks on the Mansion's front door.
Butler "Yes?my Man " Hobo ,indicates his distress. Butler ,"Wait a minute." Returns ,holding a Silver Tray ,containing a lump of horse Dung. The Earl suddenly appears. Chastises the Butler.
"What on earth Are you doing Jeeves?" "Take Him round the Stables ,and get him a Hot one"

John Pruden
20th April 2017, 05:53 AM
the election ???? its not a case weather you vote any party its what is right for the country. at this time she is the captain she could stay for a couple of years anyway in power. the vote is giving her time to get the country yes the country out of the mess we got ourselves into by not saying no to the eu and its red tape we have been living under I have never voted conservative but at this time what is the option she has a plan she needs time and a steady course to steer us out after we get clear we can all go back to voting for the parties we have always voted for the option I think if we don't we will still be in the doldrums for many years the main objective is to get us clear of the bonds of the eu she has more boll..s than most members of parliament put together. just my view.. jp

happy daze john in oz
20th April 2017, 06:11 AM
Under the Westminster system an abstention is considered to be a non vote and is legal as such.

As to your NHS, you are not alone on this. So many countries now, Oz is one, find that they are unindated with migrants who have needs but have not paid into the system. Medical science is finding ways of keeping us alive longer so the demand on the system increases expotentialy.

Added to this there is a global shortage of medical personnel so service levels suffer.

It is not a case, as Lewis puts it, of some gov ripping money from the system, the fact is there is only so much money to go around.

John Pruden
20th April 2017, 08:24 AM
john the wife had to go to the hospital a few months ago the whole line was held up because of the wait for an interpreter nothing moved so how many days /months is this holding up appointments in the NHS scans per year plus the costs? the NHS is well run even appointments over the phone is very helpful in the scanning department they are still taking people for scans up to 11pm if you are willing to go throwing money at it is not the answer some nurses have not had a pay rise in ten years start there first hundreds are leaving every day.. jp

Keith Tindell
20th April 2017, 11:16 AM
I posted before John, I think the cost last year for interpreters was 24 million, why cannot they pay for that those that need it, kt

John F Collier
20th April 2017, 01:57 PM
lets see how many of the eu stayers jump ship so they can stay at the trough. I think she is a very clever woman hit them all while they are at their lowest while other parties are in disarray she is the only safe bet. labour man all my life but she is the captain now and will follow her? jp

I was always a labour voter john as that is what I grew up with but Micheal foot and Tony Blair put paid to that, since then I've voted for Tory's, Independents and UKIP "for Brexit" but never stooped so low to vote for the Liberals or Greens etc, so I'm not loyal to any one party now and I vote for whoever's policy's
I think are best, our constituency MP is conservative and does a good job for this area and is also a Brexiteer, I am warming
to Theresa May as I like what she says and I think she is going to be a strong leader and will do her best for the country, in a
way the PM is giving the remoaners the second referendum they want as this Election is essentially about Brexit, so if she can
get a much bigger majority she will have the peoples verdict on Brexit and shut up the remoaners etc, so my vote is going
to the Tories this time at least, to pinch cappy's slogan "GO THERESA" :). cheers JFC

John Pruden
20th April 2017, 05:28 PM
john I did meet mr foot he shook my hand I thought he had velvet gloves on? jp

John F Collier
20th April 2017, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=JOHN PRUDEN;259955]john I did meet mr foot he shook my hand I thought he had velvet gloves on? jp[/If I If
If I remember rightly John he liked to dress in a workman like way "even at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day" he probably
never did a mans work in his life, I once read that Harold Wilson only smoked a pipe in public as he thought it helped with the homely image he liked to project but indoors it was cigars and a smoking jacket, with politicians you only see what they want you to believe, the one really genuine labour MP in my mind was Jack Ashley, he was a good man and was a crane driver and
shop steward before he became an MP he campaigned vigorously for the disabled, he passed away 2012 aged 89. cheers JFC

John Pruden
20th April 2017, 08:20 PM
john we meat in the social club he was campaigning at the time he sat answering questions from the lads I asked if he had noticed the waste ground near the club? I cant say I did mr pruden he said?? the last person that had an interest had a swastika on the **** end of his plane? I replied. well I will get my secretary to complain to the council and send you a copy he said? I am still waiting for the letter? jp

Keith at Tregenna
20th April 2017, 10:38 PM
May the fourth be with you and May, June see the end of May.

K.

Lewis McColl
20th April 2017, 11:32 PM
Well the PM got her vote for the GE to go ahead so were in for another dose of electioneering and baby kissing with lots
of false promises and gushing smiles, there are still remainers among the tory MP's I wonder how they will answer a doorstep
question in a town known to favour leaving the EU :), methinks lies will be the order of the day, Ken Clark is a veteran
tory MP and a staunch remainer, he is 76 years old and is going to stand again in the coming election he has already
voted against the government over Brexit so he will be a thorn in their side I think MP's should be made to retire by the
age of seventy, as some of their decisions are dodgy to say the least, also think the lords as it is should be abolished, JFC

Should be made to retire at the age of 70, now that smacks of ageism, are you saying that a 70 year old does not know what he is doing? You do realise it was the elder generation that did contribute to the Brexit vote!!!!! When I mentioned that no one over the age of 65 should have been allowed to vote in the referendum, I was nearly receiving death threats by some of our senior members on this site(sic)

j.sabourn
20th April 2017, 11:35 PM
With age comes wisdom. With youth are still searching for. Most never find in todays world. JS

Lewis McColl
20th April 2017, 11:36 PM
the election ???? its not a case weather you vote any party its what is right for the country. at this time she is the captain she could stay for a couple of years anyway in power. the vote is giving her time to get the country yes the country out of the mess we got ourselves into by not saying no to the eu and its red tape we have been living under I have never voted conservative but at this time what is the option she has a plan she needs time and a steady course to steer us out after we get clear we can all go back to voting for the parties we have always voted for the option I think if we don't we will still be in the doldrums for many years the main objective is to get us clear of the bonds of the eu she has more boll..s than most members of parliament put together. just my view.. jp
She has more balls , she has traded her coat for power , she was remainer but sat on the fence and waited her chance.

Keith at Tregenna
20th April 2017, 11:40 PM
May all and every vote count, May must end in June ?

Lewis McColl
20th April 2017, 11:41 PM
john the wife had to go to the hospital a few months ago the whole line was held up because of the wait for an interpreter nothing moved so how many days /months is this holding up appointments in the NHS scans per year plus the costs? the NHS is well run even appointments over the phone is very helpful in the scanning department they are still taking people for scans up to 11pm if you are willing to go throwing money at it is not the answer some nurses have not had a pay rise in ten years start there first hundreds are leaving every day.. jp

Line was held up waiting for an interpreter, Why do the NHS not do what the Spanish and the French do, tell you to bring your own interpreter with you , other wise YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT YOUR TURN!!!!

Keith at Tregenna
21st April 2017, 12:00 AM
Maybe just Spain, Portugal, Malta etc, never had a problem. Ill yes, help yes, cost no.

K.

happy daze john in oz
21st April 2017, 05:59 AM
Every once in a while a politician comes along who has the concern of the nation ahead of their own benefit.
Your PM sounds like such a person, she could well have joined Cameron and run a much stronger vote to stay.
But unlike him she has accepted the will of the people and is acting on it.
In the political world of today that is indeed something rare.

Lewis McColl
21st April 2017, 10:55 AM
Cappy you have had a bad experience with health care in France , one rotten apple has tainted your opinion. Check out the Facts Health care in France is the envy of the world. I would never decry Health care workers in the NHS but I will call the bean counters fit to burn. I to have had good health care in the UK, but sadly under this Government and Labour before them have for far to long starved the NHS of funding. My local MP on Wirral Margret Greenwood (Lab) raised a private members bill to stop this government selling off 49% share in our NHS hospitals to the private sector, that is hospitals that you and I have already paid for. I am all in favour of private medicine but let the Private sector build their own Hospitals. Just have a read of the attached link.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154595358212525&set=a.90617342524.95526.683822524&type=3. This was posted by a friend of mine who has just retired from the NHS. I am not getting on the soap box Cappy , but the asset stripping of the NHS has to stop. We all know this election has been called to give the PM a stronger hand over Brexit and by getting a stronger hand she can basically be in a better position to deal with the EU.As you know I am pro EU but will have to accept the vote did not go my way, not happy but that is my problem. With luck after the recent attack in Paris the French will vote in Marine le Pen and that will be another nail in the coffin of the EU in it's present state. Even I have stated the EU in it's current setup is not working, but we would have been better to have fought for change from within. One can only hope it can get back to what it was all supposed to be in the first place, a trading market and yes we do need to control immigration. What was that I said about soap box argh!!!!

cappy
21st April 2017, 11:26 AM
##we can only talk about our own experiences lewis ..mine and my family have had only ist class treatment .....for iether broken limbs etc a few stitches or care till death was imminent .....i have stated in my own view one of the main costs ie lack of doctors ...is the propensity for these people to only work a short week ie 3 days......so in my view they have been trained at great cost .....but live extremely good lifestyles on a three day week....this cost is soaked up by the the owners of the NHS ie the people ....i feel the amount of cash i have paid in my lifetime would not pay for a major operation today ......i feel that the NHS is constantly abused politically ......and is in fact the labour parties leading cry .....i see no reason why anyone in hospital should not pay towards there food and heating as they are not using them at home......doctors and nurses should be held to contracts to work at least the average working hours of the people in general......dentists costs in an avrage lifetime are rediculess.........my son had a serious back injury many years ago ......the back surgeon in leeds could not see him to give an operation for 7 weeks but if i paid in them days 8000 pounds he would do it that weekend .....he would weld the boys vertbrae together......i got the physio from leeds rugby to look at him within3 days the boy was walking and never had another problem......there is money swilling around in the NHS......in south tyneside hospital last xmas and the year before in one dept 2in 3 persons were off sick the whole of xmas ave 2 weeks...the cost of drugs is cheaper in tesco yet the buyers in the NHS are paid massive salaries to buy supposodly the best rates .....i myself was astounded at the price of items i sold to them from my factory ......price no object......the food daily overmade is ridiculous........it is a shambles and if it was a business and could not get millions into billions given each year would be bankrupt......we need someone to shake it out ......but of course it is now such a sacred cow you cant even talk about it .....yes there are many good workers and doctors but it needs massive busines like ideas not politicals who on average cant tie there own shoe laces ...cappy

John F Collier
21st April 2017, 01:41 PM
Should be made to retire at the age of 70, now that smacks of ageism, are you saying that a 70 year old does not know what he is doing? You do realise it was the elder generation that did contribute to the Brexit vote!!!!! When I mentioned that no one over the age of 65 should have been allowed to vote in the referendum, I was nearly receiving death threats by some of our senior members on this site(sic)

When I posted I knew you would come up with that one, "fair enough" so returning to that post, "and this is just my opinion".
My objection to your suggestion of excluding over 65's from the referendum is, you are basically saying that over 65's should be excluded from voting in "ANY" elections and referendums, "As you can't pick & choose elections". As the General Public
considers who or what they will vote for they usually have many weeks and much information to digest before they come to
their decision, I think there is a huge difference in the complexity of an MP's decision making than that of the electorate, so
no I don't think I'm ageist in my reason for believing MP's should retire at 70. I'm proud to say I voted for Brexit along with many others on this site and at 78 I feel it is well within my capabilities to have made my decision on the future of the country that I love "And still reside in" but I would not be so confident if I was asked to make the decision that would take us to war.
When I vote in any election / referendum I do so with responsibility and consider all of the facts and how it will affect the country and of course my family, what I don't consider is how it affects Expat's like yourself as it is not my concern, the UK is in
my mind first and foremost. I do find it insulting that you would exclude the over 65's from voting, people that have worked
all their lives, and served our country in various ways should be deprived of the right to vote at the age of 65 when most have
a good deal of knowledge gained through experience and most still have many years ahead of them, whilst an MP is doing a paid job and that should have a retirement age the same as other workers all around the country, we all know how greedy MP's are so some are reluctant to retire, not because they are dedicated but because they want to keep their noses in the
trough. Well that is my take on it Lewis, if it's not to your liking "So be it" as I will not be drawn into an argument over it. cheers JFC

vic mcclymont
21st April 2017, 03:42 PM
Lewis, that looks to me like a cut and paste job, someone trying to score a political point.
My experience of continental medical practices, how are you paying, show them ,then treatment. Whereas NHS treatment and in the majority of cases no payment. It is estimated that the NHS is owed in the region of £2b per annum on unpaid medical treatment form people from abroad.
Yes both parties are guilty of using the NHS as a political football, which does the service in my opinion no favours.
Both Parties in the past years have spent large amounts of money on the NHS, only to see it wasted in the majority of cases in empire building.
Privatising the NHS , I have no problem with it, if a company can come along and provide the exact same services or better than the NHS, then good, it shows in my opinion how wasteful the NHS is.
Regards
Vic

John F Collier
21st April 2017, 06:32 PM
john my wife waited from 4th nov last year she finally got her pension last week?? jp

In a speech today Theresa May ended speculation over the foreign aid budget, she said the 0.7% of GDP will be retained
also she failed to guarantee current State Pension Spending, I think that will go down like a lead balloon in a lot of quarters
it's definitely not a vote winner, "hope she's not getting over confident. cheers JFC

Keith at Tregenna
21st April 2017, 06:43 PM
Theresa May is increasingly becoming Theresa May Not.

EVERYTHING IS BECOMING ABOUT REMAINING IN AND GAINING POWER.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
21st April 2017, 08:21 PM
RE: the Left Wing Green Liberal pro -EU spokesperson on this site !

WHO IS THAT ?

Keith at Tregenna
21st April 2017, 09:15 PM
Theresa May is increasingly becoming Theresa May Not.

EVERYTHING IS BECOMING ABOUT REMAINING IN AND GAINING POWER.

K.

Yet another fake news or NON -news item ?

Where was this reported ?

On my part was just a thought.

I cannot believe a word that Theresa Mayhem utters, as said just a thought.

Attached as humour, please take as in intended and not as a tool to read my mind.

vic mcclymont
21st April 2017, 09:16 PM
The UK gives India about £150m in aid every year. India is building a mixture of 40 warships.
Who is the fool?
Regard
Vic

Keith at Tregenna
21st April 2017, 09:24 PM
We should do all possible to aid lesser countries to join the space race, why should we feed the needy when there is a race ?

It should be rocket science ?

India needs our cash to go where no man has gone before.

Keith at Tregenna
21st April 2017, 09:38 PM
KEITH I think she aims to pick the right crew for the task ahead far to much b.t..ing going on and she cant trust the crew she has got? jp

Here for what it is worth is my current thinking on matters politique.

Theresa May ostensibly called this election on the basis of Brexit. It's not really about Brexit - it's about her not having enough supportive MPs to push her plans through parliament: plus a looming expenses investigation that could see her slim majority totalled at any time if her MPs are charged. So, take control now is the gamble, rather than potentially let it happen and let others make political capital out of it and be on the back foot.

So none of this is about Brexit. It's about games and risk and strategy. She'd like to make it about Brexit though. Vote on Brexit and she's won - it's a clear simple issue - I mean hell - it's already on the way : article 50 has been triggered, the mandate is there. Plus it avoids saying 'I've called this election because I am in a very weak position in parliament'. She's also got a good chance of making it about Brexit - that's a clear message - a lot of the electorate don't fully understand how pushing bills through etc works - the nuts and bolts of it - and whips and blah blah because well, our system and seats etc is at times fiendishly complicated and it's easy to get muddled unless you love this wonky stuff.

Lib Dems are keen to make the election about Brexit too - anti Brexit pro Europe is their selling point - and they have a good chance of winning a few seats - it already worked for them in Richmond. It's a nice clear message. Liberal European etc. And fits nicely with May's narrative.

But this is where it starts to potentially get quite chewy. Because election campaigns and media coverage can take on a life of their own. It just takes one event or one misstep and things will swing and suddenly no one will be talking about Brexit any more but some other thing. And there will and are things that various people in various parties will not want this election to be about.

This is where I know less but I imagine the NHS is not a big one for May. I imagine security/foreign liaison is not a big one for Labour (guessing here but TM is ex home office so she knows her stuff). Thing is this could very easily become an election about *anything*

And when that happens anything could happen.

So. Watch this space innit.

PS this could all be wrong I'm not a political specialist. Interested to hear your views

j.sabourn
22nd April 2017, 01:12 AM
The present day political system in the UK developed from the old feudal system of landowners and serfs. As the world developed through education the serfs saw the bum deal they were getting and rose up and this is where the unions came into being and the House of Lords. Human nature being what it is and not only a bunch of pop singers, everyone in a western democracy tries throughout his/her life to attain ambitions and these are usually associated with wealth, with wealth comes power, and power is being able to construct your own laws and living standards to suit yourself. On the other side of the coin you had the serf also trying to better himself and the only way he could also do this was by his own labour the only thing he had to sell. So all through history you have had at least two types of people trying to better themselves. Unfortuanetley we are all not 100% good guys. The Labour party of old had its principles which today are sadly lacking and is hard to think of them representing the serf of byegone years, and are obviously after furthering their own expectations of life the same as their opponents. The other party is keen to retain its own way of life and scattering a few crumbs to appease the people. What the people want to see in their leaders is a semblance of western decency plus a hard fist against others who dare to try and take over the rank and file of the people by stealth or force. What most vote for at general elections is what they think the candidate stands for, and in this is quite often mistaken, as mostly all are good actors. As regards the present wars going on in other countries they are still in the realms of the Serf and his masters 8 centuries ago in terms of the UK and should be left alone to come to their own conclusion, the same as we and many others had to do. Money and I should say Power is the root of all Evil, this is the Gospel according to St. John S. JWS

Keith at Tregenna
22nd April 2017, 01:41 AM
Little miss mayhem is after destroying all opposition and seems hell bent on power, I do see this is her advisors and the party, may'be not her. A poorer government, even a coalition with a decent opposition would be better for the UK. May's dictatorship must fail or the UK will.

All I hear from her are unlikely to occur, she said no to an election: U turn. There will be many more.

Never trust a tory bearing gifts.

At present we have a prime minister that cannot be trusted.

Anyone over 65 should not vote it has been suggested ?

I cannot trust her with my pension.

After saying no to pre election TV debates, she should not be allowed to U turn.

An empty chair would at least be honest.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
22nd April 2017, 02:08 AM
Foreign Aid to remain, pensions at risk ?

OK, I AM CONVINCED ?

j.sabourn
22nd April 2017, 02:32 AM
#69...Mays Dictatorship must fail or the uk will ?????
Personally I see nothing wrong with a dictatorship if it is run by the benevolent society, there are many dictatorships in the world today, when they fail is good news for Democracy so called.
At present we have a PM that cant be trusted ?????
She is as trustworthy if not more so than some of her predesessors.
Anyone over 65 should not be allowed to vote.????
Myself would say anyone under 40 that rule should apply to.
I cannot trust her with my Pension.????
Then vote for her to stop the influx of people who are getting your pension free gratis.
After saying No to pre selection TV debates, she should not be allowed to U turn ?????
She is allowed to do as any other citizen may do. Myself I would not talk either through an untrusty media outlet.
At least an Empty Chair would at least be honest. ????
I am going to one on Thursday and represents the soldier/sailor/ airman/merchant seaman who didn't come back, and brings to mind the futility of what they gave their lives for. Which a bunch of clowns have given away, including your pension, for not putting the right people in the right chairs. JWS...

happy daze john in oz
22nd April 2017, 05:50 AM
According to information I receive from the Pensions office in UK the monies distributed come from monies paid in via the payment made by workers to the NHS. Pensions of other kinds, many of which are paid to immigrants and others come from a separate monetary supply.

There is a very disturbing article in our paper today. From the EU it claims that 26 other member nations have said that should the UK wish to do so it could change it's mind, tear up article 50 and remain in EU.
Obviously there are now many in EU who have serious concerns about the future of the union, and no wonder with the Right wing of many nations now coming to the fore. The public have had enough of Left wing stupidity which ahs seen many great nations become lesser ones with controls from outside sources attempting to control and rule them. But beware, there are enough who do not want Brexit to work who will come up with all manner of side issues in an effort to cloud the main issue.

Your PM is no worse than any before, many of whom have had their own political agenda far ahead of any for the nation. Whilst Blair, Brown and Cameron claimed to have the nations interest foremost nothing could have been further from the truth. Cameron was for me the biggest disappointment when he quit after the vote. A PM with balls would have said, 'the people have spoken and we must accept that'. Not run like a rat with his tail between his legs.

But that is the problem of so many today, we have similar here in Oz with both PM and opposition leader more interested in gaining popularity than good governance.
This will continue until the people wake up and come to understand that the minor parties will do no good, in fact harm far more than good.

As to the NHS, have you ever wondered how long it takes for a doctor or surgeon to lean his trade? One of the reasons there is a shortage, compiled by the fact less students are now taking up medicine as an option.
End of rant.

John Pruden
22nd April 2017, 07:44 AM
work together that's surly the key to success all the sad tales of what might happen think of what will happen the country is full top and bottom to many been hanging on our coat tails now its time to wag our tails.. we are far better than some think this is our chance nobody said it will be easy is there no fight left in the people have we been that brain washed that we think we cant do it on out own feet there is to much negativity from the media ?

j.sabourn
22nd April 2017, 08:34 AM
#73... I had occasion to ring them a few years back Gulliver, I was given a phone number to ring which was supposedly for a Trick cyclist to ask some advice. My phone call was answered by a lady who asked if I had any thoughts about suicide and did I have a firearm in the house to which I replied No and put the phone down. I realized much later that I must have been given the phone number of the Samaritans by mistake. ( I hope). Cheers JWS

Louis the Amigo
22nd April 2017, 08:37 AM
Hi shipmates , some of you may remember my views about strong powerful women? and myself, but thats a private matter, Not about the suprise general Election she will win it a landslide, if the polls are right? what will it mean for us? poor pensioners ? the tripple lock gone? all cost up? and TAX because of brexit and homeless increase for many young people? due to benefit cuts and of course NO human rights, or legal aid, the hospitals gone into private hands, But the conservatives are NOT stupid, this Election was called to hide, a criminal matter , how much money they over spent on the last one to win? but as normal ,they all will get off scott free again, my mind goes back to my sea time in south America , the words BANANA REPUBLIC and the U.K. seem to go together today? The future is NOT a good one for the U.K. but what can I do ? but be disillusion and contemptuous of all things about british government? or fight back?

j.sabourn
22nd April 2017, 09:03 AM
#76... One consolation Louis, the Bananas can be bent and not straight like the Euro ones. Cheers JWS

cappy
22nd April 2017, 09:07 AM
louis i often agree with your comments on here ...but cannot but disagree with all you say in your last post .....women can be much more powerful than men as proved by maggie ......regarding pensions... the pensions have risen far beyond the percentage rise in average wages......i wonder how much more the average man gets out in pensions from the state than he put in......and as for the banana republic ...that was when the treasury person in prudence browns government stated there is no money left ...have you followed how this woman will not be beaten ....this is what we want as a country just do it ......you could of course have foot brown kinnock bliar etc ....she will stay on course fair weather or foul and if she has to change her mind is this not what we alll do when the weather changesshorts and tea shirts of and heavy weather gear on ....we are taking on the greatest confederation in the world ....which will give us back a lot that has gone adrift ......when winston stated we will fight them on the beaches etc .....i cant remember anyone shouting .....what about the benefits and pensions ...in the name of freedom lets all join together.....and stand proud again......i sometimes see the whingers on this sight going on and on .....yes it is our right to whinge but it is now turning into a washerwomans conference ...we have voted for brexit ...we are voting for a new leader it is called democracy for gods sake what more do you want for nothing...... CMON THERESA they dont like it uppem....cappy

cappy
22nd April 2017, 09:15 AM
#76... One consolation Louis, the Bananas can be bent and not straight like the Euro ones. Cheers JWS####yes we can buy all the bent bananas at half price.....hurray for cheeper bananas.....cappy

Keith Tindell
22nd April 2017, 09:53 AM
I think T.May is doing a good job at the moment, she wants Pratt head Corbyn , and gob shite Sturgeon off her back, both out to cause trouble in different ways, then she can knuckle down and sort Europe out. Nobody believes she's got an easy job to do that, and she won't please all of us, in terms of our pensions, and I am 76 years old, I believe we give too much away sometimes, take the winter fuel allowance to all ?, I am a member of a golf club, and when I go up for a game on a Wednesday there will be 40 of us , and all drawing WFA, that's just a small example. The WFA was brought in as a vote winner, and now they are scared to cancel it, because it will lose votes. There are many ways we could save on the benefit front apart from the obvious ones like housing , unemployment etc. Just my take on things, kt

cappy
22nd April 2017, 10:11 AM
###well keith thats is a refreshing thought in the storm of ...what will i lose etc.......what i cannot understand is if people want more they must pay more but dont seem to realise that.....i can only say i have had much much more out than i have put in personally.....business wise with vat and company taxes i will never recoup the money made for to go to others but that is the way the cookie crumbles....just go theresa and take no crap .....cappy

Keith at Tregenna
22nd April 2017, 09:45 PM
Tory lead is slashed in half after tax U-turn: Bombshell Mail on Sunday poll shows May plummeting by 11 points ...denting hopes of a landslide

A poll put the Conservatives on 40 per cent, followed by Labour on 29 per cent
It follows the threat to drop pledges to increase pensions and not taxes
Mrs May said she will not abandon policy to spend 0.7 per cent on foreign aid
She was put on the spot an an election hustings in Dudley, West Midlands.

It means Mrs May’s lead over Jeremy Corbyn has nearly halved in four days: a poll immediately after she called the Election gave the Tories a 21-point advantage.

The Conservative slump follows the threat to drop existing pledges not to increase tax and to guarantee a minimum 2.5 per cent annual rise in pensions.
The backlash was further fuelled by Mrs May’s surprise announcement that she will not abandon the Party’s controversial promise to spend 0.7 per cent of national income on overseas aid. The Mail on Sunday poll is the only one to have been conducted after all three stories broke, and shows voters are less likely to vote Tory as a result.

Put on the spot repeatedly at an election hustings in Dudley, West Midlands, she avoided giving a direct answer, merely stressing the Tories were a party of ‘low taxation’.

The Tory turmoil came after Mrs May refused to say she would stick to the so-called pensions ‘triple lock’ when questioned in her Maidenhead constituency on Friday.

Tory MPs refused to comment publicly for fear of upsetting the party’s chances of success on June 8. However, privately, they were deeply critical. ‘It is an very untidy start to our campaign,’ said one. ‘Someone needs to get hold of our message – and fast. This is not the way to win votes.’

And Mrs May was yesterday branded a ‘political opportunist’ by the European Parliament’s Brexit coordinator over the snap Election.
Former Belgian PM Guy Verhofstadt accused her of ‘an attempted power grab... before the reality of Brexit bites’.

?

Keith at Tregenna
22nd April 2017, 09:57 PM
Tory lead is slashed in half after tax U-turn: Bombshell Mail on Sunday poll shows May plummeting by 11 points ...denting hopes of a landslide
?

EU's top Brexit negotiator brands Theresa May a 'power-grabbing political opportunist' over her decision to call general election and says a bigger majority will NOT help her win a better deal with Europe.

Keith at Tregenna
22nd April 2017, 10:50 PM
hmm.you really do pick up on all the negativity especially on topical subjects like brexit and trump. .
Now,if that's not a pointer to your state of mind and/or political idealogy i don't know what is.it all does become rather tedious really and the worn out record should be turned over.

Just,please don't ever become a volunteer for the samaritans !

lol.

K.

- - - Updated - - -

###well keith thats is a refreshing thought in the storm of ...what will i lose etc.......what i cannot understand is if people want more they must pay more but dont seem to realise that.....i can only say i have had much much more out than i have put in personally.....business wise with vat and company taxes i will never recoup the money made for to go to others but that is the way the cookie crumbles....just go theresa and take no crap .....cappy

You could PM me with copy of what you may like me to post, I of course would bin it but, could be worth a try ?

K XX.

gray_marian
22nd April 2017, 10:51 PM
#83, Guy Verhofstadt indeed! He's hardly a clean potato:24:

Keith at Tregenna
22nd April 2017, 11:11 PM
JUST IN THE BAD PRESS / News.

Sad all on site has to be so one sided, no one else should have a say ?

As a forum I look at both sides, rarely give an own view.

Surely, any forum is open to debate ?

Hence, I will put over the other side.

Besides, I find much boring but, let all have a say.

Sadly, it seems here that you have to agree with the cloned.

Whatever, here is my yes if it helps ?

LOL.

K.

gray_marian
23rd April 2017, 01:01 AM
#86, Of course Keith everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the site thrives on that.....Since you ask, I prefer someones personal view on a subject which would be of more interest to me to debate rather than someones perceived stance of devils advocate! Who then take offence when others reply. It can proceed into a long drawn out irritating thread as in previous posts this past while back, just makes me want to log off and spoils my enjoyment of this excellent site.:(

Keith at Tregenna
23rd April 2017, 01:18 AM
Would agree that if I just agreed with everything, life would be easier. There is much more to life.

k.

gray_marian
23rd April 2017, 01:33 AM
#88, You're missing my point Keith:( Defend your own view by all means that I respect. But to argue a hypothetical one for the sake of it is like starting a fight in an empty house......what's the point in that?

j.sabourn
23rd April 2017, 01:35 AM
A lot of countries in the world don't pay personal income tax and they survive by Industry and big business carrying the brunt of the running of a countries expenses. Whenever arguments or discussions come up it is always the personal income tax that catches the imagination. I should imagine it is not too far back that personal income tax was non existant, and going back far enough was the tariff that the farmers had to pay to the crown in the way of their goods that started some egg head to introduce the same idea and call it income tax. If Braid is watching this post would be interesting to know how much the average worker pays in PNG, know the goods and services there leave a lot to desire, but the country still runs. Cheers JWS

Keith at Tregenna
23rd April 2017, 01:53 AM
#88, You're missing my point Keith:( Defend your own view by all means that I respect. But to argue a hypothetical one for the sake of it is like starting a fight in an empty house......what's the point in that?

You miss the point.

There are two sides to all and I consider both.

As a forum, all can decide for themselves.

It would be a sad world if all views were the same.

k.

Louis the Amigo
23rd April 2017, 07:36 AM
Hi shipmates, India needs our aid money for public toilets in the main citys, every time they have a crap ,they think of us, what a nice way to spend our tax money ????

cappy
23rd April 2017, 09:27 AM
#####whoopeee 4 more days holiday ....lol reminiscent of ...theres a party on the hill will you come bring your own cup and saucer and a bun.......diane abbot will be there to leave the treasury bare and corbyn just to beat the big base drum......cappy

Keith Tindell
23rd April 2017, 10:24 AM
Send him a list of your requirements Cappy, tell him you will vote for him and you can have what ever you want. I have asked for no income tax, no council tax, no vat, kt

John F Collier
23rd April 2017, 01:02 PM
#86, Of course Keith everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the site thrives on that.....Since you ask, I prefer someones personal view on a subject which would be of more interest to me to debate rather than someones perceived stance of devils advocate! Who then take offence when others reply. It can proceed into a long drawn out irritating thread as in previous posts this past while back, just makes me want to log off and spoils my enjoyment of this excellent site.:(

Agree with you 100% Marian, sadly it is beginning to make me feel the same way :mymy:. cheers JFC

Keith Tindell
23rd April 2017, 03:38 PM
So Tony Blair in interview today says that Terresa May should not allow herself to take us into Brexit, and listen to the rest of us, it's going to be a disaster, and he's almost tempted to re enter politics. So no democracy from him, as he knows better than everyone else. The one thing I do know, he's very good at looking after himself, never mind the country, sheer bloody arrogance, kt

gray_marian
23rd April 2017, 04:33 PM
#97, Keith, I think we are still paying for security for this prat?

John F Collier
23rd April 2017, 04:57 PM
So Tony Blair in interview today says that Terresa May should not allow herself to take us into Brexit, and listen to the rest of us, it's going to be a disaster, and he's almost tempted to re enter politics. So no democracy from him, as he knows better than everyone else. The one thing I do know, he's very good at looking after himself, never mind the country, sheer bloody arrogance, kt

I don't think anyone knows the extent of Blair's financial interest's and dealings Keith, but you can bet your bottom dollar that
somewhere down the line Brexit is going to affect his personal interest that's why he's kicking up such a fuss, much the same
as most of the remoaners are doing. This hypocrisy coming from a man who took the UK into a war the people didn't want is
a fine example of obsession of looking after his own interest, it is an injustice that he was "let off the hook" after the Iraq war
Chilcott inquiry and now nobody can touch him "hence the arrogance", he was known as "Teflon Tony" but in our eyes the mud
will always stick to him, he's got blood on his hands and will never be forgiven for it. cheers JFC

John F Collier
23rd April 2017, 05:21 PM
#97, Keith, I think we are still paying for security for this prat?

He has cost the UK taxpayer £millions in protection cost Marian, his armed police guard have to be with him at all times
because of the classified knowledge he has so when he's off making £100's of 000's doing his speeches world wide we are
still paying for his safety, "makes you want to cry don it". cheers JFC

j.sabourn
24th April 2017, 12:31 AM
Hope the Interview was in the Tower of London. John.

happy daze john in oz
24th April 2017, 06:08 AM
One of the problems with polls taken by newspapers and the like is the manner in which the question is asked.
Most media I would suggest are not in favor of Brexit so will attempt any means of turning the people against it.
Many questions are set in a manner so the result is what the media want, not a true reflection of how people feel about an issue.
As to Blair, something about the pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.

Ask yourself, who do you consider to be the best party for the future of the nation?
Is that the one your neighbor will vote for?