PDA

View Full Version : vindicatrix-looking for anyone

James Gallagher
30th March 2017, 10:19 AM
i was at the vindi jan 1956 my dis ,number was R648566.it was freezing cold .and i carnt remember my hut number it was close to the washrooms i was on the boxing team against gravesend.that only happened once a year,if you recall that,its possible you were there at the same time ,my name is jimmy gallagher ,i lived in wigan i joined with boys from liverpool who called me wiggy,i sailed with bibbyline ,elder demster,lamport and holt,, manchester liners .and more.my first ship after vindi was a coaster Eileen M i am now 77 yrs old and living in south wales i lived in pwllheli and guildford also wiltshIre ,hope someone remembers me from this brief discription,cheers jimmy.

happy daze john in oz
31st March 2017, 05:17 AM
James, you mention Manchester Liners. Did you ever sail with a John Readon, bosun with them for a number of years.

James Gallagher
31st March 2017, 01:28 PM
h isailed on t he manchestervikeing or manshester monarch.joined. guyana .carrying sugar.bosuns name was cyril .lived in bootle married a phillpino.only knew one john he was an ab .a companys man and quite religouse i lost my dis book yrs ago so dont have dates . sorry jim went to vindi, 1995.

cappy
31st March 2017, 03:27 PM
h isailed on t he manchestervikeing or manshester monarch.joined. Guyana .carrying sugar.bosuns name was cyril .lived in bootle married a phillpino.only knew one john he was an ab .a companys man and quite religouse i lost my dis book yrs ago so dont have dates . Sorry jim went to vindi, 1995.not sure the vindi was still open 1995 jim ..but stand to be corrected cappy

Jim Brady
31st March 2017, 05:38 PM
h isailed on t he manchestervikeing or manshester monarch.joined. guyana .carrying sugar.bosuns name was cyril .lived in bootle married a phillpino.only knew one john he was an ab .a companys man and quite religouse i lost my dis book yrs ago so dont have dates . sorry jim went to vindi, 1995.
James the Cyril you are talking about was bosun in Bookers my son was with him when he got married in Guyana and brought his wife home on the ship.she brought her sister over and they both did a runner I think down to Cardiff.I was there on docking day on a Booker boat when the whole of the deck crowd got emptied out including Cyril,the next time I seen him he had a alsation and was a cocky watchman on a building site.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Charlie Hannah
1st April 2017, 01:46 AM
The former sailing ship Vindicatrix was moored in the Old Arm at Sharpness from 1939 to 1966 to provide a base for training boys as deck hands and stewards for the merchant navy. The courses lasted two or three months, and around 70,000 boys received their basic training here.

James Gallagher
2nd April 2017, 10:17 AM
i jim,you are right it was bookers i lost my i dis book long ago so cant look up which ships and when .i will try and find out now that you replied im 77 and find it hard computing but will get there in the end your boy must have been with cyril before me i did 3 trips with cyril and a great bunch of lads one i remember was an ex boxer i think came from a well known family .first name john.also an a b who had been with them a long time first name tink it was john .quite a religious guy ,used to go to church, in guyana .thanks so much for putting me righ ti idid 18 yrs in the murch,i sailed with a lot of scousers they used to call me wiggy . because of my wigan accent great sense of humoure will be visiting soon been several times never met any of them maybe now im on this site i might find someone,hopefully i used to drink in a pub up from the docks with cyril and got friendly with a band,the black diamonds used to go to pubs with them il try and remember the pubs name ,mcovoy was the name of the boxer.spread my name aruond you never know someone might remember me, cheers . jimmy gallagher

James Gallagher
2nd April 2017, 10:25 AM
hi cappy im useually wroung but i did join vindi in 1995 in jan,my last ship was the staffordshire ,1779 198cheers jimmy

cappy
2nd April 2017, 10:38 AM
morning jimmy i read your ref to the vindi with interest ...it appears you may be wrong ...i have a photo of the vindi in cashmores yard of her being broken up in 1967.......i had a very late night last night and am having a long family lunch today ...but got out my vindicatrix book out and checked....even through last nights haze and am pretty sure i am right ....regards cappy

Jim Brady
2nd April 2017, 10:53 AM
Jimmy the pub you went to with Cyril was the Wyndham right opposite the railway station in Bootle.i never sailed with Cyril my son was cadet in Bookers and I think he first sailed with Cyril on the Booker Viking then when the three new ships came out sailed with him on the Booker Challenge.I cant remember now if it was the Viking or Challenge when he got married and brought his bride back to the UK on the ship.
Jimmy did you ever sail on the Chuscal,a young lady was on here a couple of months back looking for her dad a one Jimmy Gallagher.I know a man of that name here and I replied to her asking was this the man but she never came back on the site.
Regards.
Jim.B.

- - - Updated - - -

hi cappy im useually wroung but i did join vindi in 1995 in jan,my last ship was the staffordshire ,1779 198cheers jimmy

Jimmy if you did 18 years at sea and you are now 77 I doubt you went to the vindi in 1995.You are 1 year older than me and I went to the sea school in 56 maybe you went before me in 1955.Thinking about it jimmy it was late 70's when you were with my son.well before 1995.

James Gallagher
2nd April 2017, 11:15 AM
jim y our right.it was the wyndham i didnt sail on the ship you mentioned, and i was on the viking ,erim waiting to get a copy of my ships then ill be a little clearer. knowing what ships and dates i saied on them .i did sail with lamport and holt. and ellermans.. elder dempster . bibbys.even on the saint tudno pleasure boat from l;iverpool to north wales. to mention a few i went to a reunionin liverpool some yrs back met a lot of pe.maybe ople but no one i knew .dont think it will happen now if i come to lierpool this summeris there a particular pub .ex mn .get in i used to go to the crocodile and the queens so long ago old mate cheers jimmy

Jim Brady
2nd April 2017, 11:21 AM
Jimmy Liverpool Retired Seaman meet every Thursday at the Adelphi Hotel,you don't have to be a member,cheap beer and live entertainment.If your ever in town on a Thursday pop in and have a pint you may meet someone you sailed with.
Regards.
Jim.B.

James Gallagher
2nd April 2017, 11:38 AM
jimthe gravesend school came down to the vindi you sure are quick.im only a learner ill try and keep up .i dont think i kn ew. your son.but no i didnt go to sea school in 1995. it was jan .1955 your right again.the reason i remember is the gravesnd boxing team came down against the vindi they only exchanged once a .year i was on the vindi team,so i must have been there around jan 1955,we had a maniac polish trainer ran us for miles in freezing .weather. we both must have been pretty close .maybe you can find how close to being there we wherewith any documents you may have .by the way i was beaten in the ring .by a bllody scouser.jim

James Gallagher
2nd April 2017, 11:47 AM
cappy i was at the vindi 1955jan and it was freezing my last trip to sea was 1979 1980 im hpoeeless on computer always makieing mistakes .cheers jim

Louis the fly
2nd April 2017, 12:17 PM
Hi Jim just checked my old book. I was on the Booker Viking twice , first in March 69 then again July 69. The bosun's name was Johnny Best , the reason I remember him is because he got badly beaten up in Georgetown by the choke and robbers.
Your son was lucky serving his time with such a good company , probably the best out of Liverpool.

cappy
2nd April 2017, 03:05 PM
cappy i was at the vindi 1955jan and it was freezing my last trip to sea was 1979 1980 im hpoeeless on computer always makieing mistakes .cheers jim##well jim i know all about mistakes ..i have made plenty ..but as we get older we all do it .....best wishes cappy

Jim Brady
2nd April 2017, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Louis the fly;
Your son was lucky serving his time with such a good company , probably the best out of Liverpool.[/QUOTE]
Louis I know what you mean about Bookers when my son got taken on by them I said most probably one of the best company's out of Liverpool and what a run.they did all the small islands St.Lucia,St.Kitts and many more,then you had Barbados,Trinidad & Tobago and the dreaded Guyana.After he did his first trip and came home he said a lot different to when you were at sea dad,it's a taxi from the ship to a holiday Inn or whatever and a taxi back,quite dangerous in some places.He knew about the choke and rob in Georgetown,one night he came out of the holiday Inn and not a taxi in sight,under orders most probably.Him and the 3rd mate decided to walk to another place to pick up a taxi,surounded by a few choke and rob crowd,a bit of a scrap he had a pic of him and the 3rd mate with a cut eye but they fought the b/stds off.
Regards.
Jim.b.

Stan Carter
2nd April 2017, 10:09 PM
#14, James, I was also at the vindi Jan through March 1955, my # is r624276.
Regards, Stan.

happy daze john in oz
3rd April 2017, 06:17 AM
All the money now being spent on exercise classes, diets and other efforts all to reduce weight.

Just bring the Vindi back and charge to stay there for a month. Problem solved.

James Gallagher
3rd April 2017, 09:09 AM
jim i dont know if i replied to this post so not being long at this computer game here it is again.my first ship after vindi was 1 4 56 ,so im thinking since i wasnt there in dec i must have been at the vindi in 1956.,,.we could have been there at the same time .do you think. my discharge number wasR648566.i remember gravesend boxing team came only once a year ,and they where there when i was there. so maybe there is a clue there somewhere. i think i was 16 and a half in jan of 1956 . sorry to be a pain just ignore me if you like cheers jim

James Gallagher
3rd April 2017, 09:18 AM
h i stan where did you come from im from wigan have you any recolections of the vindi and my dis number wasR648566

rigger
3rd April 2017, 07:34 PM
jim i dont know if i replied to this post so not being long at this computer game here it is again.my first ship after vindi was 1 4 56 ,so im thinking since i wasnt there in dec i must have been at the vindi in 1956.,,.we could have been there at the same time .do you think. my discharge number wasR648566.i remember gravesend boxing team came only once a year ,and they where there when i was there. so maybe there is a clue there somewhere. i think i was 16 and a half in jan of 1956 . sorry to be a pain just ignore me if you like cheers jim

I was at the vindicatrix April /may. 1956. R 648869. Can't recal a lot mated up with a lad from Birkenhead. Sadly. Heard he died some years back. Name of John maguinnes. I'm from Liverpool.cheers Brian Kelly' first trip mv. Aureol eds.

James Gallagher
4th April 2017, 10:33 AM
hi jim ,you mentioned in your last post you mentioned i was with your sonin the late 70s, did he remember me if so does he remember anyone else at that time who i might know and which ship was it on thanks for pointing out my wrong dates .not quite with this computering lark.as i mentioned when at the vindi gravesend boxing team wherethere and as it was a once a year occasion i would have thougt some of the guys who where there might remember me from thaht time ,not to worry mate.it was a long time ago. cheers jimmy

Jim Brady
4th April 2017, 10:47 AM
Jimmy my son lives in Croatia I only speak to him every couple of weeks,the next time I see him will be when I go over there in June,God Willing.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Stan Carter
4th April 2017, 07:53 PM
Hi jim, I hail from the south, Crawley, Sussex. The only memories of the vindi were that it was freezing cold during my stay, food was lousy and was really happy when we became bridge boys, soon to be out of there. Was in hut 2A. Shipped out of the dock St pool London. First ship BP tanker out of Swansea.
Regards, stan