PDA

View Full Version : I crispy crackling on my joint of pork.

Captain Kong
21st January 2017, 09:41 PM
HOW DO I MAKE A CRISPY CRACKLING ON MY JOINT OF PORK.

I HAVE GUESTS TOMORROW FOR SUNDAY DINNER AND ROASTING A lEG OF PORK
How do I make the Crackling nice and crispy??
Any of our Chefs know please.
Cheers
Brian

John Albert Evans
21st January 2017, 09:47 PM
Brian,

Have a look at my sons cooking site, Angels Recipes. He's got Roast Pork on then. Good Luck.

John

Captain Kong
21st January 2017, 09:59 PM
Many thanks John Albert, just printed it,
Cheers
Brian

John Callon
21st January 2017, 10:01 PM
Brian score the pork fat with a sharp knife. Rub plenty of sea salt into the scored area before roasting in he oven. Enjoy.
Regards
John C

David Williams
21st January 2017, 10:09 PM
Slash the skin with a stanley knife
and rub sea salt well in.
Dave Williams

Captain Kong
21st January 2017, 11:25 PM
Many thanks gentlemen,
I will certainly do that,
Cheers
Brian

Keith at Tregenna
21st January 2017, 11:31 PM
I suggest using half the salt early in cooking and the remainder towards the end, most important is to increase the temperature at the final stage. Salt alone will do little. A little pepper also at the end is also advised. K.

Doc Vernon
22nd January 2017, 02:33 AM
All above very good advice ;however here is a sure way to get that Crackling to perfection Capt

There are a few key steps to sure fire pork crackling:
Pick the right pork — shoulder, pork belly, rolled loin or rack are my picks.
The first two are best with long slow cooking; the latter two have far less fat and so need quicker treatment.
Get your butcher to slash the pork fat or use a craft blade like a Stanley knife. Only cut the fat and avoid cutting into the meat. Those parallel slashes need to be about 1cm apart.
It is important to dry the pork skin and fat before roasting. This is ideally started the day before. First dry the skin of the pork with kitchen paper. Then rub salt into the skin and into the slits. Leave it in the fridge overnight.
The next day, carefully brush all the damp salt off and dry the skin again with paper.
Rub the skin with olive oil, and either vinegar or lemon juice, to help conduct the heat of the oven to the skin.
Turn the oven to at least 230C and blast the joint with heat for about 30 minutes or until the skin starts to bubble and brown. Then with pork shoulder and belly continue cooking slow (about 120C) until done. For a shoulder, I like to cook it until the meat falls apart.
So that's between three to eight hours depending on the texture you want from your meat. With the rolled loin or chops use less time but a higher temperature, say 160C to 180C, as there is less fat both to render and to keep the meat moist.
Oh, and if all that doesn't give you perfect crackle just peel it off after cooking and place it skin side up under the grill. Watch it doesn't burn and remove when the skin has gone all puffy and golden.
The alternative is to turn up the heat and finish the pork off at 180C until the skin cracks, but again beware that the crackling doesn't burn.

Keith at Tregenna
22nd January 2017, 02:42 AM
I suggest using half the salt early in cooking and the remainder towards the end, most important is to increase the temperature at the final stage. Salt alone will do little. A little pepper also at the end is also advised. K.

A great chef offered the above advise, the lady complained it did not work for her, had she missed something ?

About 45 years experience madam was his reply.

K.

cappy
22nd January 2017, 08:47 AM
###brian when i cook pork i always put it in the roasting tin with the skin well scored and rubbed in sea salt... then put a good amount of cider in the roasting tin and cover in tin foil .........i roast in a low to medium medium oven for a good 3 hours just checking after anhour and a half all is well.......as for the crackling if the pork is done take off the tin foil and turn up the oven for 10 minutes or so ....the crackin can be put under the grill just to finish off .....bramley apples with a bit of sugar on and a teaspoonfull of water in the micro till soft then mash up and serve with the meal ....the gravy you make with the stock will have a great appely taste .....yum yum ...i shall be there at 3pm with the nuns cappy
Many thanks gentlemen,
I will certainly do that,
Cheers
Brian

cappy
22nd January 2017, 08:55 AM
brian i should have said also peel and slice the apples before putting in the micro.......hope its a big leg of pork ther are 14 nuns......and one legged mary ...please dont mention a LEG of pork just call it the pork...mary gets very nasty at the mention of a leg ....cappy

Doc Vernon
22nd January 2017, 09:02 AM
We just Buy the Bottle Apple Sauce its also Yummy!
Cheers

Captain Kong
22nd January 2017, 09:14 AM
All sounds very good and tasty,
Many thanks again gentlemen, I have a large leg of pork.
So will be starting around lunch time preparing, so Dinner is at 6pm, if anyone is around please call in,.
But please no Nuns. they get carried away and will scoff the lot.

Cheers
Brian.

cappy
22nd January 2017, 09:21 AM
All sounds very good and tasty,
Many thanks again gentlemen, I have a large leg of pork.
So will be starting around lunch time preparing, so Dinner is at 6pm, if anyone is around please call in,.
But please no Nuns. they get carried away and will scoff the lot.

Cheers
Brian.''dont suppose **** will be there then ....can you get halal pork ......cappy

cappy
22nd January 2017, 09:27 AM
''dont suppose **** will be there then ....can you get halal pork ......cappy####for **** read he*u cappy

dave moore
22nd January 2017, 12:10 PM
Our butcher at Morrisons scores the pork joint really deep,he cracklings never fails to be really .crisp the knives they use are really sharp and really penetrate the skin.

cappy
22nd January 2017, 05:14 PM
by that pork is smelling good ......hows the crackling.......yum yum cappy

Captain Kong
22nd January 2017, 08:17 PM
Had a superb dinner , just got rid of the guests. Pork was lovely everyone said so.
Thank you gentlemen for all your tips on how to do it. The Crackling was excellent I hid some of it for ME.
Cheers
Brian

Doc Vernon
22nd January 2017, 08:31 PM
Glad it all Panned out (excuse the pun LOL) the way it should have Capt!
Nothing like a Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling and Apple Sauce! Yummy!!
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
23rd January 2017, 02:02 AM
I have fopund thta cooking pork, or any joiont for thta matter, comes out far better when cooked on my BBQ.

Get it hot and put the roast in with the BBQ lid down, turn down the heat after 30 minutes then bacvk to full haet for the last 15. Fantastic result far better than in any oven.

Keith at Tregenna
23rd January 2017, 02:13 AM
Fast for a joint ?

K.

Captain Kong
23rd January 2017, 09:38 AM
I have fopund thta cooking pork, or any joiont for thta matter, comes out far better when cooked on my BBQ.

Get it hot and put the roast in with the BBQ lid down, turn down the heat after 30 minutes then bacvk to full haet for the last 15. Fantastic result far better than in any oven. HD JOHN

Hi John

yesterday it was a little too cold for a Barbie, it was actually snowing yesterday morning. So decided to stay inside.
Cheers
Brian

Keith at Tregenna
23rd January 2017, 11:41 PM
Nothing like a roast joint from the oven, did a hog roast recently took hours, barbi must just be for chops?

K.

happy daze john in oz
24th January 2017, 04:52 AM

Get it hot and put the roast in with the BBQ lid down, turn down the heat after 30 minutes then bacvk to full haet for the last 15. Fantastic result far better than in any oven. HD JOHN

Hi John

yesterday it was a little too cold for a Barbie, it was actually snowing yesterday morning. So decided to stay inside.
Cheers
Brian

So how do the Eskimos manage?????

Keith at Tregenna
24th January 2017, 05:00 AM
RE: I have fopund thta cooking pork, or any joiont for thta matter, comes out far better when cooked on my BBQ.

I was confused, thought it was the grogg, know now it was eskim'ish ?

dave moore
24th January 2017, 10:57 AM
John,it would not bother them as they eat their seal eat raw,

Stan Carter
24th January 2017, 09:39 PM
I know quite a few people here that use the barbi all year round, mostly for steak, hamburgers and salmon/artic char. they won't have it any other way.... For many years while I used to go hunting, we would have the last night steak fest in temps down around and below zero. have to admit food cooked on the barbi grille does taste good.
regards, stan

Keith at Tregenna
26th January 2017, 04:00 AM
Is your barbecue killing you ?

Carcinogenic chemicals called Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) are generated when organic substances are burned. On a barbecue this includes the fats and meat you are cooking plus the wood or charcoal.

Your choice of barbecued meat does impact on your cancer risk. Not only do burgers and sausages show the highest levels of PAHs during barbecuing, eating processed and red meat increases the risk of bowel cancers. Switch to barbecued fish, lean beef and chicken, which are generally healthier.

happy daze john in oz
26th January 2017, 05:13 AM
When a young lad we often spoke of a nice bit of crackling, but I do not recall it having anything to do with Pork.

Keith at Tregenna
26th January 2017, 05:18 AM
Apparently:

THE WORD PORK IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE USED ANYMORE ?