PDA

View Full Version : Work for the money

happy daze john in oz
10th December 2016, 05:49 AM
A few years ago as a young lad I joined the Cubs and when old enough the Boy Scouts. In those days we could not join the Girl Guides but without realizing it then there was another branch which now fit in well, Queens Scouts.

Every year in Spring we had 'Bob a job week'. We had to do some task for money which went to the organization.

Do these bodies still exist and do they still have Bob a job week, though no doubt with inflation it is now the new fiver a job week.

j.sabourn
10th December 2016, 06:35 AM
Just have to pass over Bob to a Queens Scout. Fouro is pleased he is no longer a Fiver as would be a fate worse than death. JS

Stan Carter
10th December 2016, 05:38 PM
John, that brings back a few pleasant memories, chasing the girl guides and trying to convince them we knew more than we did. one thing we can say on this site, is it keeps our brains active.
regards, stan.

Dennis McGuckin
10th December 2016, 06:19 PM
John, I too was in the scouts until age 17,Held first class with cords.
Hate to give you this ammunition. Was also a queen scout.
Have heard that these days one can join the guides or vice verses. Depending on you preference.
Wish that had been the case in my day. Although it would have taken all the fun out of trying to get a peep at the girls.
Bob a job week was when all the cheap bar stewards could use you as a slave for a bob.
Still can remember many times I went home exhausted with a bob for a days work. **##@

Doc Vernon
10th December 2016, 08:16 PM
Recall my Scout days as well John
Lots of fun and also some good learning curbs!
Yes that Bob a Job was a good thing as we could help the Elderly or a small sum and they were always pleased tp give us something to do!
I do believe that it is still going John as a few Years ago after it was not in force for some time it was restarted in the UK,and a few other Countries I know that South Africa still has it!
Great days
Cheers

David Williams
10th December 2016, 08:30 PM
Hi John.
I do not know if the "BOB A JOB" still
takes place,but if it does then I hope
that the unions do not get to hear about
Dave Williams

j.sabourn
11th December 2016, 01:12 AM
It may even be construed as child mistreatment by the do-gooders. I got my first job at 9 getting an old ladies shopping in for her, went on and advanced to a paper round at 10, worked for a shoemaker and cobbler at 13, and a butcher boy at 14. Thank God there were no chimney sweeps utilizing small boys in those days. Although do have an old photo of my grandparents and family standing outside of their home in Whitley Bay, in the background on the wall is a big sign saying Sabourn, Builders and Chimney Sweep. There but for the Grace of God went I. JS

dave moore
11th December 2016, 03:26 PM
As youngun I had stacks of jobs from about 10yrs old,paperboy ,for those that have a good memory from the north east I help a guy to deliver Tudor Crisps their factory was in Sandyford Road in Newcastle the chap I worked for was the same as I did the paper round for .His delivery van was an Austin ,deliveries were made in South Durham mainly in Teeside .Other jobs I had was delivering milk ,used to me old Jimmy at the Northern Dairies stables in town at 5 30 am waited till he got old Tommy the gallower yoked up the off went on his round ,must have walked about 3or 4 miles each morning. Saturdays were great that's when I got the odd tip a copper or two .Also used work on a farm sometimes one good thing about it all was I was always the lad with money but after all I worked hard for it.Partl of a great childhood it wouldn't be allowed nowadays would it .

cappy
11th December 2016, 03:50 PM
##also helped the milky dave ...the horse was named boxer for the coop milk in shields ...mr p.....shall not give his name as his son went to sea same time as me.....always stopped at a certain house at about 10 30........he said i dont care if the horse runs off dont yiou come in the kitchen ......he always came out puffin a blowin.....i thought mebbe he had been beating the carpet for her ...or something.....but he then gave me the riens and the old boxer sometimes got into a canter going back for his feed happy days got 2 bob lot of money them days......cappy wagon master extrordinaire

Keith Tindell
11th December 2016, 03:58 PM
I recall while I was working in the cobblers for a while after I left school at 15, every Sunday morning I would go down to our local small railway station, where I knew the manager of the local coal yard, and most Sunday's there was a coal railway wagon, I think 20 tons of coal, or coke, and I would shovel it into the timber hoppers, ready for the trucks on Monday morning. I had to climb into the carriage, and shovel it over the top of the sides, until I could get to the side door, which made it easier. For that I received ten Bob in my hand, good money when I was on 30 bob a week in the cobblers, kt

Dennis McGuckin
11th December 2016, 05:29 PM
When I was kid in Durham, used to have to get up to serve the six o clock mass. After that I had a paper route.
Then off to school. Winter and summer.
Uphill both ways!

cappy
11th December 2016, 05:44 PM
in a second hand shop called honest jacks there was a knife with a deers hoof for a handle ....it was to me the biz sheath and all out of deerskin ....the owner was a old chinese ex seaman ...he lived in the back of the shop no running water no bog nothing .....he said if i came for 5 friday nights he would hold two bob a time for me till i had 10 bob ......the shop must have had 10000 items all to be polished and dusted and windows cleaned .....the old guy had TB and was coughing his lungs up ...he had a bucket to piss in and i had to takethe bucket of phlegm and the piss out to a drain.....i told my old man he went round and told him if i didnt get the knife he would put the bucket over his head ......i got the knife the next time i went but still did the 5 fridays.......had the knife for years much sort after by my mates.......honest jack long gone pigtail and all ......regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

When I was kid in Durham, used to have to get up to serve the six o clock mass. After that I had a paper route.
Uphill both ways!##think you told me once den were you lived in durham but have forgot ...wasnt shields was it regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

Uphill both ways!think you once told me were you lived in durham Den......it wasnt shields was it ....regards cappy

j.sabourn
12th December 2016, 01:41 AM
#10 Keith how much did your boss charge for a pair of shoes soled and heeled. Mine use to charge 12/6d plus a Phillips stick on sole on the leather sole. Knowing the different ranges in prices between North and South how much??? I got a penny for every pair of shoes I brought in, had a butcher boy style bike and a bus conducters cap with Albert Bolam displayed on the front of instead of conductor. I also got 12 bob wages for 5 nights after school as wages. That together with a morning paper round used to earn about a pound a week. When left school in 1952 did a couple of months as a butcher boy and was on 37/6d a week about the same as got when first at sea. JS

j.sabourn
12th December 2016, 01:54 AM
Re... Early memories ... Cubs..Scouts..Cadets..etc.
For those brought up with what our parents called morals, can they remember the prayers they had to say before going to bed. The one I remember was.... In my little bed I lie, Heavenly Father hear my cry. if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take. God Bless..... you then went through the whole families names and usually finished up with the dog and cat if you had one. The cubs all I can remember is dibbing and dobbing, but the same as the scouts reference was always given to be true to God, King and country. The cadets I cant really remember any oaths of allegiance as was too keen to get into the hardware , the rifles always being nearly as big as me. There was one theme then which is decidedly not there today and that was Patriotism, today there is a distinct lack of what would have been called in those days Moral Fibre. JS

Des Taff Jenkins
12th December 2016, 03:44 AM
Hi John.
Never had a regular job while I was at school, worked on the local farm during harvest but the only thing the cheapskate bastward gave us was an ice cream. worked in my Dad's allotment most evenings, no bright lights there. The local paper shop the bloke did everything himself; delivered the papers, run the shop-cum-post office,delivered the mail, then at night across the road to run the local fish and chip shop. I didn't work but had loads of fun building boats out of sheets of tinplate ; then sinking in the river.
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
12th December 2016, 05:13 AM
There I was as a young almost innocent lad of 9 working weekends and holidays on my stepfathers pig farm. But it did me good as I spent some time as an officers steward.
Had a paper round and worked Saturday afternoon helping deliver groceries for which I got the sum of two bob.

Keith Tindell
12th December 2016, 08:10 AM
Ref 13 John, 12/6 rings a bell for sole and heel, gents heels alone 4/6, and in those days you could get gents heels with a metal half moon piece let into the leather, cannot remember what they were called. Thats where i first wanted to go to sea, a Polish seaman would appear from time to time and tell of where he had been etc, then he would be off again. Within weeks i had handed in my notice and was off to Gravesend, never regretted a minute of it, kt

Ivan Cloherty
12th December 2016, 08:26 AM
There I was as a young almost innocent lad of 9 working weekends and holidays on my stepfathers pig farm. But it did me good as I spent some time as an officers steward.

Oh! dear, tut! tut!

cappy
12th December 2016, 10:42 AM
Ref 13 John, 12/6 rings a bell for sole and heel, gents heels alone 4/6, and in those days you could get gents heels with a metal half moon piece let into the leather, cannot remember what they were called. Thats where i first wanted to go to sea, a Polish seaman would appear from time to time and tell of where he had been etc, then he would be off again. Within weeks i had handed in my notice and was off to Gravesend, never regretted a minute of it, kt####she was only the cobblers daughter.....but she gave it her AWL.......she was only the fishmongers daughter but she lay on the slab and said FILLET.....cappy

Louis the Amigo
12th December 2016, 12:04 PM
Hi shipmates, I was a boy scout 48th st marys, cardiff , I have many great memories of my time as a scout, Bob a job, is where we got our funds for camp and trips, there was a prize for the scout who made the most money, I won it once !!! one kind person gave me a load of camping gear {bell tents} made of canvas and all the extras a large garage full, used on an experdition to some where cold? my scout master, was a great man R.I.P. Mr Evans he was a policeman, pick it up with a black maria , and took it back to our scout hall he made a few trips. as they was a lot of stuff, I helped him unload it with a few other boys , it was in use for many years for scout camps in the summer holidays. I was told years later .

Bill Morrison
12th December 2016, 09:06 PM
Where to start on this thread. With the Boy Scouts, Patrol Leader of the Curlews 16th Aberdeen, all the useful things you were taught. knots, tracking. living under canvas, cooking your food on an open fire and much more happy days. I also try the Life Boys not to my liking. The Army Cadets was run by a sadist so no go. It is strange I never went near the Sea Cadets but as they were on the opposite side of the river and the two communities had a long running mistrust of each other it might of had a bearing on it.
A paper round was much sought after but you had to be 14 years of age and it required a licence from the local authority. When I as about 10 years old I would help an older lad deliver the Saturday night sports paper he received half a crown and gave me a tanner to deliver the ones which were on the out-skirts some distance away clever lad!
On a Saturday morning I sometimes help out with a shipping butcher delivering the orders to the trawlers, many of the old steamers where you would bury the order under the ice in the fish room, very primitive no electrics.

Dennis McGuckin
12th December 2016, 11:16 PM
John. I have a hard time believing you were ever innocent.

j.sabourn
12th December 2016, 11:26 PM
#21... Did you have the old wooden floor boards with the bell tents. Never complained about them later in the Japanese Hotels, but did in the scouts. Forgot my groundsheet once and wondered what all the fuss was about as wasn't lying on the ground. All these youth groups did however instill some discipline in the youngsters, something which seems lacking today, however we are that far ahead in age, it is in most cases not the youngsters fault, but their parents who seem lacking themselves. Maybe going back far enough it was our fault. JS

Dennis McGuckin
13th December 2016, 04:05 AM
in a second hand shop called honest jacks there was a knife with a deers hoof for a handle ....it was to me the biz sheath and all out of deerskin ....the owner was a old chinese ex seaman ...he lived in the back of the shop no running water no bog nothing .....he said if i came for 5 friday nights he would hold two bob a time for me till i had 10 bob ......the shop must have had 10000 items all to be polished and dusted and windows cleaned .....the old guy had TB and was coughing his lungs up ...he had a bucket to piss in and i had to takethe bucket of phlegm and the piss out to a drain.....i told my old man he went round and told him if i didnt get the knife he would put the bucket over his head ......i got the knife the next time i went but still did the 5 fridays.......had the knife for years much sort after by my mates.......honest jack long gone pigtail and all ......regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

##think you told me once den were you lived in durham but have forgot ...wasnt shields was it regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

think you once told me were you lived in durham Den......it wasnt shields was it ....regards cappy
Hi cappy.
House in Durham City under the railway bridge.
Atherton st.
Just up from the bus station.
Couldn't get much more Durham City than that.
Great place to grow up in.
Still have fond memories.
Had to hang on to the dishes when a train went overhead.
The day of the year was the Saturday before July 20th. Miners Gala. Used to make a few bob one way or the other.

happy daze john in oz
13th December 2016, 05:01 AM
John. I have a hard time believing you were ever innocent.

Well my mum told me I was a very good baby.

j.sabourn
13th December 2016, 06:11 AM
Hi Dennis, my wifes cousin was the mayor of Durham not so long back. He used to live in Shindcliffe, and right opposite where he lived was a former abode of Bliar, I went over to see the occupant to see if he had any dealings with the previous house owner, and if so was going to give him the black spot to pass on to him. As usual he said he had no dealings since buying the house. His wife Cherie or whatever they call her we practically bumped into her in the new Maritime Museum in Fremantle, going back a few years now, no one reconised her apart from my wife who drew my attention to, She was there with another woman of her own age and about 3 kids of about the years of 9 or 10. Trailing along behind them were two youngish men with haversacks and could have been backpackers. Putting 2 and 2 together later they were probably her bodyguard, and we did read in the paper later she was visiting an old school friend. He was PM at the time and was probably busy messing up the Middle East to what it is today. Cheers JS

cappy
13th December 2016, 09:37 AM
Hi cappy.
House in Durham City under the railway bridge.
Atherton st.
Just up from the bus station.
Couldn't get much more Durham City than that.
Great place to grow up in.
Still have fond memories.
Had to hang on to the dishes when a train went overhead.
The day of the year was the Saturday before July 20th. Miners Gala. Used to make a few bob one way or the other.thats interesting .......gwen the lovely wife of JS had some relation to the mayor of durham ......does that mean JS is a Right honourable....have to watch our Ps and Qs now....cappy

Ivan Cloherty
13th December 2016, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=j.sabourn;248034 no one reconised her apart from my wife who drew my attention to, JS[/QUOTE]

How could you not recognise that distorted mouth

j.sabourn
13th December 2016, 09:56 AM
Dont know about the Right bit Cappy. The Honourable bit is a bit risqué as well especially after meeting one of your exes Sadjico in Osaka. The same cousin and his wife are now retired living in one of these retirement homes in Morpeth. Very nice couple with nice kids. He was in the Korean conflict as a National Serviceman and rose to be Colonel in the Durham Light Infantry before they were disbanded, in the Reserves of course. Used to be invited by South Korea along with hundreds of other British servicemen to South Korea, at least they appreciated the effort and the lives that were lost in this so called Police Action. It always seemed in the past that it was Foreign Countries that had to honour our servicemen, as said in a previous post they are much better looked after here than the UK and long may it stay. If you don't have the armed services as a deterrent you don't have anything. It is always the ordinary man in the street that takes all the slings and arrows. And has to pull governments out of the smelly stuff. Cheers JS

j.sabourn
13th December 2016, 10:17 AM
#28... Ivan it was a Maritime Museum so there were all sorts of weird things in there. One thing that got up my nose in any Australian museum is that an object appears to be in the far distant past if it is over 40 years old. There was a set of indentures behind a glass case, and they weren't as old as mine, or yours. Havent been there since and the museum was fairly new then, so maybe bequeath some of my things to them when I go. Cappys seaboots would be a prize item and could also stand in a glass case. Cappy thinks indentures are false teeth, I have those as well but have my doubts they would put them on display. Cheers JS

cappy
13th December 2016, 10:26 AM
#28... Ivan it was a Maritime Museum so there were all sorts of weird things in there. One thing that got up my nose in any Australian museum is that an object appears to be in the far distant past if it is over 40 years old. There was a set of indentures behind a glass case, and they weren't as old as mine, or yours. Havent been there since and the museum was fairly new then, so maybe bequeath some of my things to them when I go. Cappys seaboots would be a prize item and could also stand in a glass case. Cappy thinks indentures are false teeth, I have those as well but have my doubts they would put them on display. Cheers JSthat is a good little maritime museum in freemantle john ......quite interesting for ships etc......didnt see any gnashers there though.......and also in shields is a good seamans museum with interesting artefacts of years gone by worth a visit...regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

How could you not recognise that distorted mouththat is definately not a mouth ivan ...a gob is much more suitable or even a sour gob........cappy

j.sabourn
13th December 2016, 10:34 AM
Your probably thinking of the old museum Cappy. This one has been built since I came out here, there was only the small one when we first arrived. They even have a submarine in this one, outside the building of course, but the building is in the harbour confines in any case. Anyone coming out here with memories of 30 and 40 years ago would get a shock. I can remember flying into Perth yonks ago and was only a field with a transit hut on it. Today they are going to start non stop flights direct to London next year. When we arrived there were less than a million people living here today believe there are over 2 million. The largest amounts of people however are over in the Eastern States. To get the title of City in WA had to have a population over 20,000. Don't know if they still cling to that ruling or not. There was more than twice that amount in Whitley Bay when I left. The old English rule of having to have a Cathedral to be called a city does not apply here Cheers JS

Captain Kong
13th December 2016, 10:43 AM
I went into the new Museum on the Quayside two years ago, very interesting.
Brian.

j.sabourn
13th December 2016, 11:37 AM
When we were sitting in the Fishing Boat harbour Brian, the old museum was a couple of hundred yards away. Think they still use it for something or other. Don't know if you noticed the blue line on the curbstones around the shoreline of Fremantle, but that is all reclaimed land from the sea. The Biggies ( Passenger ships ) are starting to come in now, the World came in today people live on her permanently, most dont even bother coming ashore, the passengers all well off and own the ship. Permanent apartments on her. Cheers JS

Captain Kong
13th December 2016, 12:30 PM
The Captain loves his job on her, met him in Goa a few years ago,
He said he was the Master of the World,
What a wonderful title.

Some of the residents have been complaining as some owners rent out their apartments to holiday makers and the usual standards of behaviour have fallen.
Brian

Ken Trehearne
13th December 2016, 03:29 PM
Lots of interesting jobs shown in these posts but methinks you townies were overpaid. At 12 & 13 years my Saturday job was cleaning and tyre pumping the 12 bikes at my village Land Army hostel in Herefordshire. Payment was Dad gained the kitchen slops for our pigs, which I had to wheelbarrow to home (the slops not the pigs). At 13 I did have a 6-pence per week paid job of taking about 6 cows to their grazing some one-and-a-half miles from their home farmlet before school. Job didn't last as cows have no idea of speed which made me late for school too often, with a Headmaster who had no appreciation of a pupil's financial initiative. Also had a 3d per time job briefly in filling an elderly villager's water tank of unknown though large gallonage. Tank was in the roof of her two-storey house and filled by a manual pump from a well. Never did manage to fill the tank so got the sack. Left school at 14 and went to a full-time job at 10/4d weekly with the 4d deducted for insurance. So began my waged life. Somewhere along the line I did receive the dole of 10/- weekly while at the Vindi - in 1948. All seems not so long ago.
KenT

Ivan Cloherty
13th December 2016, 03:40 PM
Lots of interesting jobs shown in these posts but methinks you townies were overpaid.
KenT

Well Ken me hearty, this townie, well nearly a townie, as bombed out of three towns previously, then on the Yorkshire Dales before moving back to Hull and becoming a townie again, went deep water trawling to Iceland at 13 years old with no pay as owners not allowed to put us on pay until 15 years old, away just over 3 weeks on first trip and earned £12 in tips, but for 12 to 16 hour days, was that being overpaid, certainly beat pumping up tyres as an experience!

Captain Kong
13th December 2016, 03:58 PM
You don't know your born Ivan , Don't know your born, I say.

Ivan Cloherty
13th December 2016, 04:05 PM
You don't know your born Ivan , Don't know your born, I say.

eeh Brian lad, it were luvely, really luvely, I would do it all again and yes with no pay, don't suppose it would do my back any good though, but what the hell, you're only young twice

Dennis McGuckin
13th December 2016, 06:05 PM
#26,
John I believe that Blair went to Durham University Also Mr Been. Roylan Atkison.
Maybe they should have swapped jobs!

Ken Trehearne
14th December 2016, 03:56 AM
I stand corrected Ivan. Your pay would have been the experience gained, I guess.
KenT

happy daze john in oz
14th December 2016, 04:54 AM
Your probably thinking of the old museum Cappy. This one has been built since I came out here, there was only the small one when we first arrived. They even have a submarine in this one, outside the building of course, but the building is in the harbour confines in any case. Anyone coming out here with memories of 30 and 40 years ago would get a shock. I can remember flying into Perth yonks ago and was only a field with a transit hut on it. Today they are going to start non stop flights direct to London next year. When we arrived there were less than a million people living here today believe there are over 2 million. The largest amounts of people however are over in the Eastern States. To get the title of City in WA had to have a population over 20,000. Don't know if they still cling to that ruling or not. There was more than twice that amount in Whitley Bay when I left. The old English rule of having to have a Cathedral to be called a city does not apply here Cheers JS

Perth is the most iosolated capital city in the world. It is farther from any other capital city than any other.

Those teeth in the museum are the same ones Mary, she of the wooden leg lost some years back. Cappy knows the story but will not say what happened, but we do, wink, wink.

Ivan Cloherty
14th December 2016, 08:25 AM
I stand corrected Ivan. Your pay would have been the experience gained, I guess.
KenT

Thanks Ken, although I received no pay, the tips from the deckies and mates were usually very good and if you were not afraid of hard work, and of course a lot depended upon what the fish made when you arrived back in Hull, good market, good tips, poor market but still usually good tips, sometimes got tips from the firemen when you went down in the stokehold bunker and shovelled coal towards the firemen for them to fire the boilers, never afraid of hard work, to me it was all an adventure and prepared me for deep sea which was easy by comparison plus the bonus of girls in Havana and numerous other places

Evan Lewis
15th December 2016, 11:29 AM
Re .post 32.
Today they are going to start non stop flights direct to London next year.
------------------------------------------------
Yes a Few days ago. John.the Newsreaders ,on all Channels round here were announcing It.Like as they'd just discovered sliced Bread.
Can't understand ,Why? As in the early seventies. Think it was a British Airways.
Joined it Melbourne,called at Perth,thence to Heathrow.

Recall ,the flight well.Had given-up smoking some months previous, Couple hrs from Heathrow.
Went to stretch the legs.
Got in to conversation ,with a ship's engineer,He'd boarded at Perth.Whilst talking He offered a cigarette. What the Hell! .Hadn't touched one for months, got it beaten,thinks I. Purchased a pkt. .returned the gift. So what ,only two !.

Brother is waiting ,on arrival. Get in his car .On the way on the M.4.Talking , automatically pushes a Cig. over to me. That was it Curtains, Hooked !
Had the Habit for some year and half, again, though ,well over thirty years now, Nada! Hate the Smell of Them!

happy daze john in oz
16th December 2016, 04:22 AM
The non stop to UK from Perth may not be what it appears.
Five flights a week from a city as small as Perth will not pay them.
Friend of mine in ravel industry says they will fly into Perth from Melbourne or Sydney, then non stop to UK.

Keith Tindell
16th December 2016, 08:13 AM
Pert to Heathrow is 17 hrs non stop, not for me in cattle class anyway, and most certainly not with Quantas, the last time I flew with them it was diabolical. The first time I flew with Quantas they were brilliant, that was 25 years ago, the last time 7 years ago, never again, kt

Captain Kong
16th December 2016, 09:14 AM
Quantas is certainly not as good as it was, First flew with them in 1975 in a 747, very good,
Sydney to London

Last time 2012 in one of their Big Double Decker Jumbos, , It was horrible, squashed up with knees under the chin, no room at all, The woman in front put her seat back, hit me in the face and cut my nose and broke my glasses, I very near ripped her seat out,
2015 flew with QATAR, Perth to Doha and then another one of theirs to London. again the worst flight ever, full of `moos`, never again.

I now pay that little extra and go Traveller Plus, far better. Never go Cattle Class again.

After my operation in Honolulu in 2013 the Insurance Co. flew us both home First Class, fantastic Service and comfort. only one problem
SHE wants 1st Class every flight now,
Brian.

happy daze john in oz
17th December 2016, 05:04 AM
Queer And Nyphomaniacs Taken As Stewards has a reputation of having the most possible legal number of seats in cattle class as they can.
Last time I flew with them was a good few years ago, but never again.
We were coming back from Bali and had a stop in Sydney. On the way over hit a storm off Darwin and the windscreen damaged.
They had to wait for a new one so we were told we would be going onward to Melbourne on the next available international flight.
Seven hours later we were put, along with 18 others, onto a QUANTAS aircraft, empty going on to Melbourne for a flight to UK.
As the 20 of us were the only ones on the plane we were told to sit any where. We were up at the rear end about two rows from the back.
With my seat pushed back I was enjoying the flight when the trolley dolly came along with coffee and sandwiches for us.
You will have to put your seat up sir she said, must consider the ones behind you.
Problem was there was no one behind me so I said no!
Like a red rag to a bull, she went off like a two bob watch saying I was being very unfair to the passengers behind me.
When I asked her to show me where they were she stormed off and the steward in charge came along to tell me the same thing. Must put your seat back up for the comfort of the passengers behind or I would not be able to have the coffee.
I told him to go away as I had no one behind me so was not doing any harm.
He then told me he would report me to the company when the flight arrived. Be my guest I told him.
Good friend of mine was a travel agent at the time and told me if he had a dollar for every one who said do not put me on QUANTAS I would be a rich man.

j.sabourn
17th December 2016, 08:29 AM
John if Cappy reads that post , he is going to go around tweaking everyones backside and saying I'm a nippomaniac. Cappy doesn't care male or female emu or parrot, the cat is now among the pigeons. JS