PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah

Keith at Tregenna
11th November 2016, 10:45 PM
Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

John Arton
12th November 2016, 01:40 PM
In my younger days I quite liked Leonard Cohen, only problem was if you listened to his songs with a few scoops inside you, you would be nigh on suicidal by the end.
rgds
JA

Captain Kong
12th November 2016, 01:43 PM
Never ever heard of him, but sad when anyone dies.
Brian

Brian Charles Williams
13th November 2016, 04:26 AM
If you like dreary ,listen to Cohen ! Brian W

gray_marian
14th November 2016, 04:05 PM
I have always liked this one, cause I'm an old romantic.:rolleyes:

Dance me to the end of love, LEONARD COHEN - YouTube
Video for YOUTUBE CLIP JOOLS HOLLAND Dance me to the end of love▶ 6:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw

Shalom Leonard

happy daze john in oz
15th November 2016, 05:47 AM
Very few realised he was a Canadian, most thinking he was from USA.

Hos music was bit different but so like by many.

Stan Carter
19th November 2016, 09:21 PM
A friend sent this link to me today, for those who enjoy the pipes.
Simon Fraser university from British Columbia, Canada. have won the world pipeband championships a few times in Glasgow.
Enjoy.....https://youtu.be/CrDBvOV5MtU
regards, stan

Stan Carter
19th November 2016, 09:31 PM
sorry doesn't seem to want to open, but if you punch in search for ...Simon Fraser pipe band, Hallelujah, does direct you to it.
Stan.

Keith at Tregenna
20th November 2016, 01:14 AM
TEST ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyF-m33iAGc

Gulliver
20th November 2016, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry.Much as I love Leonard Cohen's 'Allelujah', I can't bear to open that link.Is there anyone out there like me who can't stand the awful caterwauling sound of screeching bagpipes?. I would prefer listening to a dozen screeching Hillary Clintons rather than the pipes. Bagpipes give me goose pimples and play havoc with my tinnitus. A few Christmases ago in my town there was a kilted lone piper complete with sporran tassels and a bit of tinsel (! , tartan blowing up in the wind and giving all a glimpse of his Fruit of the Looms on that drafty street corner, and making the most excruciating sounds ever to be emitted and coming from his chanter and his High A-Hole (you might have to look those up ).
My companion commented that she knew him, and that his wife and kids positively encouraged him to blow his pipes in the town,probably because then he didn't play them in the house. But for me any feelings of Yo-ho-ho Christmas conviviality I had reluctantly began to start feeling, instantly evaporated when on passing the said piper,he suddenly let out such an agonising screech-cum-wail on the damn things, startling us and in shock almost propelling us into the path of a number 64A bus just arriving at the kerb. My companion had also stepped on a particularly 'juicy' (sorry I can't find the correct word to describe it at this moment)dog turd to add insult to injury .
I'm ashamed to say I had some sordid visions of what I would have liked to do with that piper,(and that careless dog owner )but kilt,pipes and A-hole certainly came into it.....
An old joke is "Why did the Irish give the Scots the bagpipes?" Answer: As a joke,only the Scots haven't got it yet!"

A man wearing a kilt walks into a pub with a suspicious looking parcel under his arms.
'Whit's that?' demands the worried bartender.
'Ten pound o Semtex', says the kiltie.
'Wow - That's a relief,' says the bartender, 'For a minute Ah thought it was bagpipes.'

Sorry,but really,what is the point of bagpipes?

j.sabourn
20th November 2016, 09:19 AM
You wont be coming to the Rabbie Burns night in January then Davy. Wasn't there a made up song or something about Allelujah, seem to recollect was a favourite saying of the senior apprentice when he used to shout in our little cosy 4 berthed cabin Allelujah I'm a bum, maybe it was in his sleep and I always used to lie awake waiting for the next verse which never came. JS

Gulliver
20th November 2016, 12:46 PM
You wont be coming to the Rabbie Burns night in January then Davy. Wasn't there a made up song or something about Allelujah, seem to recollect was a favourite saying of the senior apprentice when he used to shout in our little cosy 4 berthed cabin Allelujah I'm a bum, maybe it was in his sleep and I always used to lie awake waiting for the next verse which never came. JS

I sailed with a few apprentices(well,cadets) like that John ,and quite often I was terrified of perhaps more than another verse coming
Didn't know the song,I'm far too young (!) but ♫ HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uKbIkYGsIg) ♫ it is, complete with crackly bits.

j.sabourn
20th November 2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks Davy, I've had to wait 63 years to hear that in full, can now die in peace. Don't want it at my funeral though. Seegerets and Whiskey and wild wild women would be more appropriate have given up the first but willing to try the other two. JS

Keith at Tregenna
29th November 2016, 02:49 AM
RE: Is there anyone out there like me who can't stand the awful caterwauling sound of screeching bagpipes?

Reminded me of:

"How's the flat you're living in in London, Jock?" asks his mother when he calls home to Aberdeen.
"It's okay," he replies, "but the woman next door keeps screaming and crying all night and the guy on the other side keeps banging his head on the wall."
"Never you mind," says his mother, "don't you let them get to you, just ignore them."

"Aye, that I do," he says, "I just keep playing my bagpipes."

j.sabourn
29th November 2016, 05:16 AM
Luv em, makes others grit their teeth, don't have that problem, just take them out. Same as being on a ship the engines never kept me awake, only when they stopped. JS

gray_marian
29th November 2016, 07:49 AM
#10, Weel noo Guliver feel obliged to correct you on instrument of torture. Bagpipes actually originated in Iran and were brought to the Western culture by the Romans. The original bagpipe only had two drones (the long flute looking things you blow into) and it was the Scots who added the third. The bagpipes are mentioned in the Book of Daniel, and there are references by ancient Greek sources of bagpipes made of dog skin with bone pipes being played by the inhabitants of Thebes. Even the Roman emperor Nero, who supposedly "fiddled while Rome burned", was a bagpipes player. It is thought that the bagpipes found their way to Scotland around 2,000 years ago when the Romans occupied England and made several attempts at conquering Scotland. Almost all ancient societies had some form of bagpipe: Pakistani, Greek, Ukrainian, Spanish, Portuguese. No mention of Ireland.

"By the time the Romans had reached Britain, their empire covered most of western Europe and their resources were becoming stretched. For most of the time they spent in Britain, they were more concerned with holding on to what they had rather than expanding further. Uprisings among Scottish tribes were a thorn in the side of the Romans and showed them how troublesome Celts could be. Nevertheless, there was a point when the Romans did seriously consider an invasion. In 82AD Rome’s military governor in Britain was Gnaeus Julius Agricola. He was a brilliant campaigner who had helped to defeat the armies of England’s Queen Boudica in 61AD and then gone on to subdue the country and bring it safely under Roman rule. According to the Roman historian Tacitus, Agricola then turned his attention to Ireland."

The details are a little vague but Tacitus claimed that a minor Irish king, who had lost his throne in battle, approached Agricola and offered to help him conquer Ireland, providing him with local knowledge and contacts. Agricola considered the idea carefully and following his conversations with the deposed Irish king, considered that Ireland could be subdued with a single legion. Agricola never got to test whether one legion would be enough because his plans were overtaken by events. There was a mutiny within his own army to deal with first, and then he had to deal with rebellions from the Picts in Scotland.

Once Agricola had dealt with the troublesome Picts, he was recalled to Rome by the Emperor Domitian.That close shave was the nearest the Romans ever got to invading Ireland. They never considered it again. They also gave up any idea of conquering the Scotland. Instead, as we all know they built Hadrian’s Wall across the north of England to keep out the marauding Picts.

I must say Gulliver over the years any guests we have taken to the Edinburgh Tattoo whether they have an ounce of Scots blood or not have enjoyed the night. Do agree though, played badly can be torture. Takes seven years to master, thankfully after two persuaded my oldest daughter perhaps not the instrument for her, mind you neither was the violin:rolleyes:

j.sabourn
29th November 2016, 08:09 AM
Marion the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were also in Iran, in fact Iran was Babylon or should say Babylon is now Iran. Many moons ago Nebuchadnezzar King of Babylon released many Jews he had kept in captive for 70 years released them to return to Jerusalem. So maybe he was the cause of all the troubles now or had a slight influence on them. I can just imagine them playing a Scottish Soldier, maybe Davy leading them out through the Famous Gardens, playing the pipes of course. Or if he was impartial to the pipes could have been the drum major. Who knows may even have played the Blaydon Races. JS

happy daze john in oz
30th November 2016, 05:59 AM
Interesting article Marion, thank you for that.
It is claimed that the kilt, worn by those men who play heathen music, originated in Ireland.
It was not as colorful as the Scottish one but served the same purpose.
It is said though hat there was a different color for each of the counties, but not as in the Scottish tartan.

j.sabourn
30th November 2016, 06:13 AM
They are showing old episodes of 60 minutes makeover in WA just now, and one of the designers male by birth but not sure by nature, has taken to wearing a skirt or kilt by definition, wouldn't be so bad if was tartan, but is made of army camouflage material. What he is trying to say don't know. But looks stupid. JS

gray_marian
30th November 2016, 09:59 AM
#18, 'Interesting article Marion, thank you for that.
It is claimed that the kilt, worn by those men who play heathen music, originated in Ireland.
It was not as colorful as the Scottish one but served the same purpose.It is said though hat there was a different color for each of the counties, but not as in the Scottish tartan.'

Irish kilts yes John, but only from the 18th century, stand to be corrected of course. Scottish kilts, from the 16th century. Cost not for the faint hearted! Gladdens my eye when I see one, whichever country I'm in.:D

Best you read this for yourself, don't want to bore the pants off everyone else:p
Kilt - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt

Keith Tindell
30th November 2016, 10:14 AM
Ref 12, that song bought back memories from the very early sixties, I was on a small cargo ship running out of Hamburg, very mixed crew, and among which was an old Lithuanian, displaced from the war, could only speak broken English, but could sing the song I,m a bum, in perfect English, happy memories, kt

happy daze john in oz
1st December 2016, 05:50 AM
#18, 'Interesting article Marion, thank you for that.
It was not as colorful as the Scottish one but served the same purpose.It is said though hat there was a different color for each of the counties, but not as in the Scottish tartan.'

Irish kilts yes John, but only from the 18th century, stand to be corrected of course. Scottish kilts, from the 16th century. Cost not for the faint hearted! Gladdens my eye when I see one, whichever country I'm in.:D

Best you read this for yourself, don't want to bore the pants off everyone else:p
Kilt - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt

Interesting Marion as the reference to Gaelic though most often associated with Irish can also be considered in some instances to be Scottish.

While watching a notice came up from Wickepedia saying that after some ten years he will be closing down due to lack of funds. Claims he was warned when he began with it that he would end up bankrupt.
But much of what appears on the site I find questionable as much is derived from items submitted by general public and not always kosher.