PDA

View Full Version : Cruise linner adrift in Irish Sea

John Arton
15th August 2016, 09:56 AM
No need to go too far abroad to experience a breakdown on a cruise liner these days then.
Cruise Ship Adrift for Nine Hours (http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cruise-ship-adrift-for-nine-hours)
rgds
JA

Captain Kong
15th August 2016, 10:10 AM
Four and a half thousand on a small ship like that. Lucky there wasn't a Hooley blowing and an abandon ship. there would have been some panic then.
Brian

cappy
15th August 2016, 10:36 AM
Four and a half thousand on a small ship like that. Lucky there wasn't a Hooley blowing and an abandon ship. there would have been some panic then.
Brian##one thing for sure brian it will happen sooner rather than later and when the electrics go in an engine room or other fire ...all incapacitated in lower decks will be trapped in wheelchairs etc .......cappy

Chris Allman
15th August 2016, 08:38 PM
Its called progress chaps - bigger ships - new technology - more to go wrong - more passengers = 1 bloody big disaster .............

Gulliver
15th August 2016, 08:40 PM
No need to go too far abroad to experience a breakdown on a cruise liner these days then.
Cruise Ship Adrift for Nine Hours (http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cruise-ship-adrift-for-nine-hours)
rgds
JA

That poor cruise LINNER adrift in the title thread .

Perhaps one day her crew and passengers will all be REMINERSING about it !

John Callon
16th August 2016, 12:19 AM
Think you are being a bit hard there Davey. I have a problem with spelling and have to use the spellchecker. Also we all tend to think faster than we can type and it ends up all roads **** up.
Regards
John C

Des Taff Jenkins
16th August 2016, 12:59 AM
Hi John.
Just as well there wasn't a storm such as the Princes Victoria met. Much as I hate to say it we will wake up one day to the news.
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
16th August 2016, 03:15 AM
That poor cruise LINNER adrift in the title thread .

Perhaps one day her crew and passengers will all be REMINERSING about it !

Gulliver, what are you on about, did you not understand this ship was in the Oirish sea!!!!!!

Gulliver
16th August 2016, 06:20 AM
Think you are being a bit hard there Davey. I have a problem with spelling and have to use the spellchecker. Also we all tend to think faster than we can type and it ends up all roads **** up.
Regards
John C

I really don't understand it John.No matter how quickly one wants to type a letter and post it off onto the site for others to read,or try to decipher as the case may be,surely, but surely you make a final check to make sure there are no OBVIOUS mistakes,like LINNERS (for Liners) or REMINERSING (for Reminiscing). It is a matter of pride,just like you would not want to create a wrong impression when writing an important business letter,or sitting an exam paper. Small mistakes yes,we can all slip up there,but glaringly obvious ones such as might be made by a seven year old ,especially for a Thread Title,like these two recent examples, detract from the site in my opinion,and I feel ashamed that some of my shipmates on this site are giving a wrong impression of our profession to visitors,and believe it,many do look in,or are diverted here.
I am a member of other sites,not exclusively connected with the Merchant Navy,but of varied interest and I don't see half as many glaringly obvious
mistakes in their posts as I have seen here.
We have some really good articles and stories on this site carefully composed and submitted by their author members,so why can't all other threads including the ' banter' threads as I will call them,and which we all love,be afforded the same care.

The way I see it I am not 'being a bit hard' ! If members deem it their right to inflict illiterate posts on me on this site,then I deem it my right to

complain about it.To me nothing detracts more from a potentially enjoyable post than having to decipher it before reading it.

Having said that,I do think our Mr/Captain JA in the original starting post in this thread might have just been taking the p*ss a little,in view of the reaction to Den's 'remernising' thread !21161 You are forgiven Den,and I only wish other respondents to my criticism could have been a bit more gracious about it !
We all lament the decline of standards in life,so why can't we take this one on board?
Best Regards
Gulliver

j.sabourn
16th August 2016, 07:16 AM
Years ago one would lose marks in examinations for spelling mistakes. The only exam I ever did at sea was the first years examination for apprentices from The Merchant Navy training Board, and think it had been sent to the wrong ship. However I did it under the eye of the second mate in a sealed off cabin. For the navigation paper it came back with 98.6 per cent correct and 1.4 percent taken off for spelling mistakes in the navigation paper itself. The paper was marked with the following was noted on the return paper, your answers show a complete knowledge of the subject involved and marks have been deducted for spelling errors. The other papers gave me an average for the exam as 76.6 percent well above the pass rate. I still have these papers in the house somewhere as kept them for prosterity. I was chuffed as for the previous year all I got from the master and mates was you"ll never get a ticket as long as you have an aperture in your backside, it shut them up for a while and never received any praise from any of them except to say it must be a fluke. It was always my ambition to get above them and to sail with and give them a dose of their own medicine. One ambition I never attained. Cheers JWS

cappy
16th August 2016, 07:28 AM
I really don't understand it John.No matter how quickly one wants to type a letter and post it off onto the site for others to read,or try to decipher as the case may be,surely, but surely you make a final check to make sure there are no OBVIOUS mistakes,like LINNERS (for Liners) or REMINERSING (for Reminiscing). It is a matter of pride,just like you would not want to create a wrong impression when writing an important business letter,or sitting an exam paper. Small mistakes yes,we can all slip up there,but glaringly obvious ones such as might be made by a seven year old ,especially for a Thread Title,like these two recent examples, detract from the site in my opinion,and I feel ashamed that some of my shipmates on this site are giving a wrong impression of our profession to visitors,and believe it,many do look in,or are diverted here.
I am a member of other sites,not exclusively connected with the Merchant Navy,but of varied interest and I don't see half as many glaringly obvious
mistakes in their posts as I have seen here.
We have some really good articles and stories on this site carefully composed and submitted by their author members,so why can't all other threads including the ' banter' threads as I will call them,and which we all love,be afforded the same care.

The way I see it I am not 'being a bit hard' ! If members deem it their right to inflict illiterate posts on me on this site,then I deem it my right to

complain about it.To me nothing detracts more from a potentially enjoyable post than having to decipher it before reading it.

Having said that,I do think our Mr/Captain JA in the original starting post in this thread might have just been taking the p*ss a little,in view of the reaction to Den's 'remernising' thread !21161 You are forgiven Den,and I only wish other respondents to my criticism could have been a bit more gracious about it !
We all lament the decline of standards in life,so why can't we take this one on board?
Best Regards
Gulliver......ok davey i give in to your comments i think you are rite ...cappy

John Arton
16th August 2016, 07:47 AM
Oh dearie me, never realised my spelling mistake in the thread heading and how spelling mistakes raise such furore.
In my defence the laptop I do most of my work on has a very sensitive keyboard and being partially sighted I often miss mistakes in spelling though I do recall that on the day I started the thread either the site or my laptop was playing up a bit with the touch pad mouse not working correctly.
Humble apologies to all.
rgds
JA

Ivan Cloherty
16th August 2016, 07:49 AM
kept them for prosterity.

I was chuffed as for the previous year all I got from the master and mates was you"ll never get a ticket as long as you have an aperture in your backside, Cheers JWS

Seems to be a theme running here John, Davey it seems hasn't checked in yet

Gulliver
16th August 2016, 07:57 AM
......ok davey i give in to your comments i think you are rite ...cappy
Cappy,I know I'm always rite/write/wright .....right ! 21163

cappy
16th August 2016, 08:24 AM
Cappy,I know I'm always rite/write/wright .....right ! 21163##and if some people cannot roll there Rs like you wight.......cappy

Captain Kong
16th August 2016, 08:37 AM
Some of us are a little short sighted with age, sometimes I cannot find my Glasses, and later find them on my head after a long search.
Some of us were NEVER Educated due to WW2 when schools were closed and we were left to our own devises, like searching for Shrapnel, or Bomb Fins and climbing aboard crashed german aircraft that had been shot down.
Some schools were bombed with all the Staff and children inside, all killed, they were terrible times, and at the age of 11 I could not read or write. So forever more I was penalised in job seeking, and Insulted and Humiliated by many Cadets, Mates and Masters for my lack of education. If you were not there you could Never Understand.
IT WAS NOT OUR FAULT,
I tried to educate myself in later years, and did OK a far as I know.
Brian.

Chris Allman
16th August 2016, 08:45 AM
Anyway - I think they repaired the warp drive on the ship and it made its way to land where all the passengers heaved a sigh of relief and began to ponder on what they could sue the cruise company for. So all ending happily, which is more than can be said of many mistakes, errors etc in this life of ours...............................

Ivan Cloherty
16th August 2016, 08:45 AM
I tried to educate myself in later years, and did OK a far as I know.
Brian.

You certainly did Brian

Just as an aside, I noticed in the Times personal columns, that a Chilean woman aged circa 60 and called Briana is looking for her father who she believes is from NW England. She wants to introduce him to his six grandchildren, she says her mother, now 102 has fond memories of this giant of a man who was known in the entertainment circles of the era 60 years ago as 'El Torre Inglese Brian' and she'd wished she'd known a few a few years ago that he had visited the scene of their romance with its echoes of Scandinavia. Looks like you did okay there as well Brian!

Captain Kong
16th August 2016, 10:01 AM
It is very difficult to study when in a dark, damp, Anderson Shelter, kept awake all night, no sleep due to bombs exploding, the earth bouncing you off your feet as it heaves up, and next morning digging Mother out of the Rubble of a house that was once HOME. standing up in the only thing you possess the clothes on your back, no where to live, no food, no money, No Benefits in those days, Doctors had to be paid for. Going to stay with other relatives for the duration, family split up .

We were bombed out the once, I think Ivan was bombed out three times.
and the barstewerds had the cheek to insult us after because of a lack of education.
I can NEVER Forgive people like that, People who had an easy life with all the trimmings.
Sure I am bitter , It was not our fault but the ignorant people just do not understand,

I made sure my two sons had a better education, I paid a Headmaster I knew for extra lessons in the evenings three nights a week at his home to get them to Grammar School and then to University. Now one is a Senior Consultant in Hospital, and is recognised around the world for his work, has appeared on TV three times . the other is in a Classified job with NATO. cannot discuss his job.
So I have achieved what my critics never achieved.
Brian.

j.sabourn
16th August 2016, 10:19 AM
#15.. and if Scottish reet. Or if don't want to be involved starboard and lets get outta here. JWS

Captain Kong
16th August 2016, 10:30 AM
Hi Ivan, now you have spoiled my day,
I am now terrified of a knock on my door,
"Hey, at last I find you, why you no come back for me, ? you say de Queen will let me come soon.. Usted muy malo hombre."

cappy
16th August 2016, 11:45 AM
You certainly did Brian

Just as an aside, I noticed in the Times personal columns, that a Chilean woman aged circa 60 and called Briana is looking for her father who she believes is from NW England. She wants to introduce him to his six grandchildren, she says her mother, now 102 has fond memories of this giant of a man who was known in the entertainment circles of the era 60 years ago as 'El Torre Inglese Brian' and she'd wished she'd known a few a few years ago that he had visited the scene of their romance with its echoes of Scandinavia. Looks like you did okay there as well Brian!###thats him thats him without a doubt thats him lol cappy

happy daze john in oz
17th August 2016, 06:48 AM
Exams, well recall one whilst at the Vindi where even catering had to do the life boat exam.

Not sure what occurred but I got somewhere in the region of a 90% pass mark.

Dragged up before the skipper Duguid to explain how I had cheated? Told him I had not, I just had a good memory. They were concerned as some of the deck lads had not done as well as I had. After a number of questions regarding the lifeboat and boxing of compass they agreed that maybe I had done it all on my own.

So spell checks may be good but remember the spelling on computers comes from USA and you know how odd they can be?

Chris Allman
17th August 2016, 08:29 AM
So spell checks may be good but remember the spelling on computers comes from USA and you know how odd they can be?

Like ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ instead of SSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :mad:

happy daze john in oz
18th August 2016, 06:20 AM
See there was a car ferry on fire somewhere, think it may have been around USA somewhere. Looks bad, started in engine room according to reports.

John Arton
18th August 2016, 09:55 AM
See there was a car ferry on fire somewhere, think it may have been around USA somewhere. Looks bad, started in engine room according to reports.
500 passengers all evacuated safely and ferry now aground off Puerto Rico. It is an American owned outfit running between Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic .
Apparently over the last few years there has been 107 deficiencies noted against it. The fire was said to have started when a burst fuel line sprayed fuel over hot engine parts. One of the deficiencies noted was that the fuel lines required shielding which I always thought was a SOLAS requirement anyway so the ferry should have been detained at the previous inspection when the deficiency was noted.
https://gcaptain.com/ferry-fire-hundreds-plucked-fro-burning-puerto-rico-ferry/
rgds
JA

j.sabourn
20th August 2016, 02:25 AM
On years gone by to take a ship from A to B was considered navigation, professionalism, or just plain good seamanship. Today I would consider it being able to push the nipples on a computer screen. As regards the ship adrift in the Irish sea she will know every second practically where she is, her set and drift and the dangers of the possibility of her going aground. She is in a busy traffic lane so are plenty of ships around and she will be in communication of shore rescue services, with helicopters and such like on stand by. The dangers although they still do exist for any vessel at sea, are no where near as hazardous as they used to be. Probably the biggest worry to the passengers may be the loss of their wheelchairs and other aids. Most will have their stories already in the initial stages of how they suffered bravely and survived, to tell their friends when they get ashore. Cheers JWS

happy daze john in oz
20th August 2016, 05:57 AM
[QUOTE=j.sabourn;238572]On years gone by to take a ship from A to B was considered navigation, professionalism, or just plain good seamanship. Today I would consider it being able to push the nipples on

Oh dear we are back to touch typing again it would appear.

But is this ship really adrift in the Oirish sea or has Paddy just taken it out for the day??

j.sabourn
20th August 2016, 07:49 AM
He cant find the right nipple/button to push. Please note it was others who advanced my education. I always thought a nipple accompanied a grease gun. Cheers JWS

Captain Kong
20th August 2016, 08:23 AM
In 1984 I was on a tanker twixt Lands end and Cork. The engine shattered in a small explosion, we were drifting for two weeks, while the ship owner found the cheapest tug.
We plotted our position as usual during watch keeping. and the amazing thing was we didn't move all that much. we just did a figure of 8 with the varying tides/.
Brian

j.sabourn
20th August 2016, 08:46 AM
Does the figure 8 have any signifigance Brian. Trying to remember all the dittys with 8 in them, what did it signify in a Partridge and a pear tree. Marian will know she knows all the Xmasy ones. The shipowner was probably hoping that some good companies man might have suggested that you lower the boats and tow the ship back in yourselves, or had he by that time shot himself in the foot and was carrying a skeleton crew as regards numbers and feeding allowances. Maybe that's where that song I'm walking Backwards to Xmas across the Irish sea originated. Cheers JWS Just remembered was it 8 maids a courting. See they even follow you to sea. Cheers JWS