PDA

View Full Version : Black Puddings

Pages : [1] 2

wilky
25th July 2009, 10:29 PM
Its probably because I have just consumed a few pints of peroni and am now into my last glass of a nice South African shiraz that I am writing this but here goes. Being a Lancastrian, black puddings where always there and I must admit ..I like them. I now live in Knaresborough in North Yorkshire. I have a mate who is also a lancastrian and was born in Bury. We where talking in the pub one day about black puddings and how we all enjoyed them. Thats when my mate from Bury, says you havent tasted black puddings till you,ve tried a Chadwicks black pudding from Bury market. Well that did it, the taste buds where flowing. I have just had a couple of weeks off work and last week three of us got into my car and headed across the pennines in search of the best black pudding in the world . We arrived at Bury market and went in search of Chadwicks, only to find their stall to be closed due to holidays. All was not lost there was a sign saying our black puddings are being sold two stalls down . We sampled a boiled one with English mustard , very nice . I bought a dozen to take home. Its probably the best black pudding I`ve had so far.I wonder if theres any better ones out there somewhere, I need your help. I probably wont get any replies to this thread but I would love to hear from anybody who likes black puddings and which ones you think are the best . Heres to black pudding lovers . ps Den do you think you could put them on the menue !

Doc Vernon
25th July 2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Wilkie,
Well not that i know too much on these Puds mate,but my Brother In Law who is from German origin always has them on hand,and he puts tem on the BBQ which i must say comes up a treat! Yummy!
But as said i didnt actually know that there were variations!
I must ask Karl!
Cheers and keep the Black Pud going hahah!:)

By the way this may be a very different Black Pud we are talking about??
The German ones are Sausages! Is that the same thing?

That SA Shiraz sounds nice LOL!

wilky
25th July 2009, 11:06 PM
Hi Vernon I cant say I`ve ever tried the the German variety but the English black pudding is definately not a sausage . No meat in them , just blood and fat, sounds awful but tastes divine . Cheers

Keith at Tregenna
25th July 2009, 11:21 PM
My INSIGNIFICENT Fraction (Other Half) Her Indoors, live in lover, partner, best friend etc - is a Geordie and is up in Newcastle at present to see her folks. Best part for me is on her return home tommorow, she will bring a supply of the Black stuff and Pease pudding also. I JUST LOVE THE STUFF: Guess I DO NOT KNOW WHICH IS BEST, but she swears by it. Local butcher Howden / Wallsend. Bit like Bow Bells to a Cockney.

Cut a long story short: If you ever go across the sea to Ireland - you get the white pudding to, and an Irish breakfast should have both white and black pud - YUMMY ! Certainly love Klonnakilty PUDDINGS. lOOKING FORWARD TO MY BIG FAT PUDDING TOMMOROW and my favourite food. Don't say anything to the trouble and strife. (Cockney for wife)

K.

Mick O'Brien
25th July 2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Wilky. I agree with you the best black puddings do in fact come from bury. Theres nowt like a good fry up first thing of a morning ie, egg bacon beans black pud and brown sauce, yum yum.
madmick.

Tony Robinson
26th July 2009, 12:24 AM
Any butchers in the Barnsley area but for preferance Albert Hirsts, the pork pies are pretty good too,

tsell
26th July 2009, 02:15 AM
If somebody could make REAL Black Puddings here in Oz, they'd make a fortune!
Same goes for pork pies!

Doc Vernon
26th July 2009, 02:24 AM
Well as i had posted i knew that they were sort of Sausages,but yes they are of the same things as mentioned (sounds gross) haha! but are nice on the BBQ
There is a Butcher in Bankstown NSW where my BILaw gets his Black Pudding,and many say that its the real McCoy!
Cheers

Geoff Anderson
26th July 2009, 07:23 AM
Hi All.
Last time i had good black pud was in west wales on holiday, full english breakfast yummy.
I bought some over here in NZ, bloody orible, im sure it had Dunlop writen on its side:eek:
Geoff:D

John Aspin
26th July 2009, 08:51 AM
Greetings Wilky,
Yes I to love Black Pudding no matter where it comes from after all they are all made of the same ingredients so where ever I buy it I will enjoy it, the only problem is I am the only one in our household that likes it so we tend not to have it very often but now that you have mentioned it I will make sure that I buy some next time we go to the shops.
I would also like to mention Knaresborough were you live, a beautiful part of the country I know very well & visit there from time to time, I live not far from there just outside Middlesbrough.
Recently I have been doing some research into my family name ASPIN & while doing so I came across an Aspin Zone in Knaresborough much to my surprise where all the streets are named Aspin, Aspinoval, Aspin Drive just to name two, I am sure that you will know it, you might even live there.
There is also a Aspin Primary School.
I contacted Knareborough Council to find out how that area got its name thinking there might be a connection with my family somwhere along the line however they say it came from Aspin Ponds which is somewhere near by.
I also found out that the mayor of Knaresborough is an Aspin, all very interesting.
I look forward to a reply.
Best wishes,
John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough.

Albert Bishop
26th July 2009, 09:37 AM
Cant help with the Aspin bit John, but I can say no Rabbit pie is complete without a few bits of black pud added. Humped back rabbit, is of course, essential to hold up the pie crust. Cheers, Albi

alf corbyn
26th July 2009, 11:00 AM
hi keith. i might be starting something here but i love the cornish white pudding. of course i also love the black puddings but don't know the best ones although i think lancashire produces a very tasty one. as they are mainly blood surely the best should come from scotland which is noted for its royal beef?.
i will now sit back and watch the fur fly. haha cheers alf:D:D

wilky
26th July 2009, 01:08 PM
Hi everyone , thanks for all your replies didn`t know black puddings where ! that popular. Alf and Jean I have never tried your scotish variety but like you say they should be good , made from all the good beef in Scotland. I feel another trip will have to be planned. ;) John yes, I know the aspin estate very well , I dont live on it myself but have a lot of frends that do . :):):)

Bill Cameron
26th July 2009, 02:18 PM
Jim, you obviously have never had a full Scottish Breakfast, our Black puddings, White puddings and Mealy puddings are world famous, the insipid things that are served with a Full English Breakfast in Blackpool
cannot be compared with ours :D

john sutton
26th July 2009, 03:12 PM
i was always given to believe that the blood in black puddings is pigs blood.could be wrong.
Always like bury black puddings when i lived in uk.now addicted to morcilla burgos which is a black pudding from the town of burgos in spain.it includes a certain amount of rice and grilled its as good as any uk puddings.
incidentally spain has at least 50 different regional black puddings
john sutton

Albert Bishop
26th July 2009, 04:42 PM
Agree with you John. Any black pudding worth its salt is made with pigs blood, Many second rate imposters in other parts of the country may be made with cattle blood, but here on Tyneside we use only the real stuff. Which makes a Geordie black pudding unsurpassed. Cheers, Albi.

happy daze john in oz
27th July 2009, 06:16 AM
Well Wilky when I first reda your post I thought you had just done few pints of Pernod, till I read it again. As a young lad, a couple of years ago, I used to spen most of the summer in the Tyne and wear area where they make some of the best black puddings ever. My wife is from the Erin isle so white pudding used to be all the go. Here in Oz it ia hard to find a decent black pudding and have yet to see a white one. But there are now a few imported butchers dotted around who are making some great sausages and a couple make the black pudding. You can get pork pies in a few places, not bad either. But I take the trouble a few times a year to make a big veal and egg pie, very easy when you try.:eek:

Bill Cameron
27th July 2009, 10:45 AM
Jim,
it is obvious that you and I are never going to agree on the finer tastes of black pudding, so I have posted a few Scottish links (no pun....... thats sausages)

http://www.macbeths.com/Shop.Product.aspx?PageId=15&ProductId=68&gclid=CIyegYrZ9ZsCFUYA4wodMGNm_g

http://www.wjmacdonald.com/RunScript.asp?p=ASP\Pg0.asp

http://www.dalbeattiefinefoods.co.uk/product-Champion-Black-Pudding-Slices-43.html

and the last time i looked at my Sat Nav, Blackpool is still in Lancashire :D

alf corbyn
27th July 2009, 10:56 AM
hi jean. well i think that these black puddings are made all over it seems. nice to hear from you and hope to see you at larpool. if syd hadn't beaten me to it i would have picked you up from lime street. cheers. alf:D:D

Stuart Henderson
27th July 2009, 03:02 PM
Hi Wilky Always been a lover of this fine food and when I got married in Yorkshire it was a regular and enjoyable breakfast accompaniment along whe the bacon & eggs & fried bread.
Been living in France for eighteen years or so and naturally tried it here cooked in usual fashion and it was AOKm However few weeks ago went to a French do and with the aperatifs they served a black pudding (sa
usage)) raw and uncooked as an appetiser and it was bloody lovely.......
Cheers Stuart H

stevesherratt
27th July 2009, 03:20 PM
Good mouth watering string this is.
Scottish Black Pudding is the one for me and its sold in most Morrison’s up and down England, it has pearl barley instead of great lumps of fat. Morrison’s also sell Lorne Sausage (Square type) nothing better to accompany it but Staffordshire Oat Cakes.
Do they still sell Black Peas in Bury Market?

Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

Keith at Tregenna
27th July 2009, 08:25 PM
Towns noted for their black pudding include Clonakilty, County Cork in Ireland's south west, Bury, Lancashire (now Greater Manchester) in northern England, and Stornoway, Isle of Lewis off the west coast of Scotland.

Black and white pudding, as well as a third variant from Fife—red pudding—are served battered at chip shops in Scotland and England as an alternative to fish and chips. SCOTLAND IS ALSO FAMED FOR THE DEEP FRIED "Mars Bar" and fish supper.

Edward Twomey's recipe for white pudding has been handed down in secret for over a century. Making this one of the most famous white puddings in the World. Clonakilty pudding white & black received gold and bronze in the great tastes awards in 1999, in the sausage category

Some say the French have the best discuss !

wilky
27th July 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks again everybody for all your imput, very much appreciated. I have already set the ball in motion for trying the scottish variety . One of my mates as got a three month contract in Dundee , so the orders are in for local black puddings. I dont know how they will compare to the ones on your 3 sites Bill which where all mouth watering . Its like the quest for the holy grail. Yes Steve they still sell black peas on Bury market , I was going to get some but I was full of the warm black puddings they sell there.;););)

Bill Cameron
27th July 2009, 09:31 PM
Keith Ref your post about Scotland being famed for the Deep Fried Mars Bar, I have to say that I have never seen a chip shop in my part of the Capital or any other part of the East Coast serve such a thing. I may be wrong, but I am not a conusour (sp) of such a terrible sounding item, maybe they eat that on the west coast :D

Keith at Tregenna
27th July 2009, 10:29 PM
Have never seen a deep fried Mars Bar myself and been advised they do occur, but not in every chippy or chipper if your Irish. National press have a lot to answer for. But Mushy Pea Fritters are the real deal and Cod's Roe. Yummy. Irish potato pie's are also lovely and anything on chips: Cardiff CHICKEN CcURRY OFF THE BONE, Cornwall / Devon cheese etc. Holand mayo. Whats your favourite chip topper ?

Any modern recipes welcomed for the black stuff: EG:

Clonakilty Chicken

Supreme of chicken with Clonakilty pudding filling,wrapped in hickory smoked bacon,colcannon mashed potatoes,roasted root vegetables & scallion cream sauce.

K.

Neil Morton
28th July 2009, 01:59 AM
Now then I know its a long way to come for 99% of you fellas but I have to tell you that down here on the Mornington Peninsula there is a butcher shop where they buy black puds in from a back yarder in Dandenong together with gammon, and pork pies.I have to say its passable any resident of Melbourne viewing I will give them the good oil.Mort:cool:

happy daze john in oz
28th July 2009, 06:24 AM
Well Mortnj we get down to Dandenong a few times a year so if you know of somewhere as good as you say then please let us in on the secret. Heard of a chippie ;last year selling deep fried pizza!!!!!!!:eek:

Louis the Amigo
28th July 2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Shipmates' Hi Tiger 1 Jean, Black Pudding is french, was brought to britain by the Normans, it is still made in france they have a ancient society, who make sure that the quality is up to the mark, The Farmers have it for breakfast cooked in red wine .Hi Tiger Jean hope your tests' are all finish and you are well. Haggis Tatties' and neeps {Burns. Night}Have you andress the Haggis and stabb it with a dirk? I have been to many burns' night over the years allways a great night in my club, we would only allow a proper scots' man or lady to andress the Haggis,:) brought in with Lone piper on sliver plate, and would finish the andress with a wee dram. The haggis is scottish not any other country can claim it.:):D

Bill Cameron
28th July 2009, 10:46 PM
Jim, sorry my google search has no mention of Stornaway being the home of Black pudding, the history of black pudding goes back to before the Romans, but i have tasted the "Marag Dubh" from Stornaway, and I like it.
I think you should apologise to Tiger, your statement that she may be gullable was not very nice or polite:mad:

Mike Newell
29th July 2009, 12:34 AM
Can't understand all this fuss about black pudding, which in my opinion ranks alongside tripe and haggis as one of the gastronomic disasters of these islands, YUUUUUK.:eek:

Mike

Keith at Tregenna
29th July 2009, 02:31 AM
Origin: recorded at home as 1865–70 but:

One of its most successful producers has done the unthinkable - and produced a vegetarian version. The Real Lancashire Black Pudding Company's decision has been greeted by howls of protest in Bury, the home of the black pudding

Black pudding is ACTUALLY one of those foods invented to use up the entire animal, .hence is as old as the hills and its invention could belong to many cultures, early mentions are indeed from ancient Greece and Rome.

Black pudding or blood pudding is a type of sausage made by cooking blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. It is also called blood sausage (first attested in 1868, perhaps influenced by German Blutwurst). Although "blood sausage" is often labeled as a North American term, it is also found in British English (e.g., in the story "The Name-Day" by Saki). "Blood sausage" is also used as a term for similar blood-based solid foods around the world.

The art of pudding making has had an epic journey across Europe over the centuries. Today it's a staple of menus across the Continent. The black pudding has a range of European relatives: Spanish morcilla makes an excellent tapas, and blutwurst is an intriguing Germanic variant; the boudin noir is a delicacy in France, sometimes containing rich ingredients like brandy and cream.

Pudding festivals

This rather medieval dish has a fanatical following. The humble black pudding even has a festival dedicated to it in northern England. In Ramsbottom, outside Manchester, hundreds compete annually in the World Black Pudding Throwing Championships. The bloody sausages are encased in ladies' tights and contestants hurl them at a 20ft-high stack of Yorkshire puddings. Whoever knocks the most Yorkshire puds off the stack is declared the winner, in a contest said to date back to an incident in battle between the armies of the Houses of Lancaster and York during the Wars of the Roses.

Meanwhile, in France, home of the Gallic blood sausage the boudin noir, so many puddings are consumed in a black pudding fair held in Normandy each year that, if laid end-to-end, they would stretch for 5km. In November in the Andalucia region of southern Spain, pig-killing fiestas celebrate the annual cull for getting in the winter stash of morcillas, hams and sausages.

Stornoway Black Pudding :: The Original and Best
Home of the Original and Best Stornoway Black Pudding! ... Our black puddings combine traditional fresh ingredients with a blend of spices to produce a ...
www.wjmacdonald.com/Default.asp?Page=13 - Cached - Similar
More results from www.wjmacdonald.com »

Bury Black Puddings - Home Page - by The Bury Black Pudding Company
The Bury Black Puddings Company offers you award winning Black Puddings of the very highest quality, delivered directly to your door.
www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/ - Cached - Similar
Clonakilty Food Company
Business offers black pudding, manufactured to the original Harrington recipe prepared in 1880.
www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/ - Cached - Similar

Clonakility Food Co.
Edward Twomey built on the tradition of the business and by 1983 Clonakilty Black Pudding was in such demand that it was necessary to build a separate ...
www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/index1.html - Cached - Similar
More results from www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie »

Jack Jenkins
29th July 2009, 03:54 AM
This thread should be deleted and all reference to black pudding banned from the site,also mention of pease pudding (cold) and pork pies....I almost shorted out my keyboard by drooling,oh for a proppa kipper.

Sad Jack;)

Louis the Amigo
29th July 2009, 06:11 AM
Hi Shipmates', Hi Tiger 1 Jean, Hi Keith my butty, Thank you for your imput maybe you all are right? They did have blood soup in spartan times in the agoi , and I found a old cookery book with a recipe for goose blood pie? can you still buy that its Welsh maybe? food has allway been like us all on this forum, well traveled and open minded about allsorts' of countrys and people, Hi Jim r395326 The only thing when I was on Stornaway was sheep and a pub CLOSED ON SUNDAY.:eek::eek::eek:

Tony Robinson
29th July 2009, 06:41 AM
Now all you fella's in the Uk with access to BP just think of us poor sods overseas suffering withdrawel symptons. Just remember the old saying 'the better the Black Pudding the more painfull the gout.

happy daze john in oz
29th July 2009, 06:56 AM
Mike until you have tasted the delights of pickled tripe you have not eaten one of lifes delacies.:eek:

Louis the Amigo
29th July 2009, 07:16 AM
Hi shipmates and all you hungry B.P, and proper pork pie , less people in Aussie and N.Z. Just remember you have ice cold beer in tins, and fresh sea food to throw on the B.B.Q. lamb chops, steaks , and all good thing to eat .r All we have in Wales is laver bread, and Faggots and peas from swansea market and cool beer in pints { Brains bitter or dark} and Clarkies' pies to keep us going.:D:):)

Des Taff Jenkins
29th July 2009, 07:59 AM
Hi Louis the Amigo.
Did you have to mention Faggots and peas from the Swansea markets!!! What I wouldn't give for a bowl of Faggots and peas. They have them here but they are NOT faggots, unless the bloke that makes them is.
We used to come out of the Empire after a show and have a big feed of Faggots, yum yum yum, I can smell them now. Mind you the ones we used to get in Gorsienon were just as nice.
Cheers Des
PS I'm partial to a bit of Black Pudding, but only from up North Lad.

Mike Newell
29th July 2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks Daze, I'll give it miss all the same mate.:eek::eek:

Mike

Geoff Anderson
29th July 2009, 08:55 AM
Hi All.
Im with you DES, what i wont give for a nice plate of Faggots ,peas and chips. Washed down with a few pints of welsh beer. Im going to go and sulk now.

Louis the Amigo
29th July 2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Tiger 1 Jean , This forum would not be the same without you,Please dont take any notice of what anyone says its only a friendly bit of banter I hope? you are a very nice lady, so dont' go any where else you belong here you are a very important member of our crew. and we need all hands to sail this ship .:):):)

Alan Stupple
29th July 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Wilky, You dont have to come from <up north> to love yer black pudden shipmate. We do Love it Darn here as long as it comes from up there. South east Kent Decky nearly retired ex AB. All the very best Buddy ALAN::

Gulliver
29th July 2009, 02:57 PM
You know,guys,I used to think that this was one of the best of the Merchant Navy sites on the web, with many interesting topics and tales of nautical interest,but over the last few months it seems to have deteriorated into just another humdrum 'social'-networking blog.

Gulliver

Gulliver
29th July 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Jim. I 've never been bothered if nobody replies to my posts.
Lately I don't feel the need to participitate in any old banter...I do like reading all of the nautical-themed topics like Searching for Old Shipmates,Personal Tales,and Ship History ,WW1/2 remembrance articles etc.
Much of the other 'banter '(and we used to have it all the time at sea!),leaves me cold.

Regards
Gulliver

Keith at Tregenna
29th July 2009, 06:47 PM
Came on to the" Off Topic Section" for some much needed R and R, a bit if fun and just for a change. I have enjoyed joining in and love the BLACK STUFF, but please all take it as it is meant, light hearted and informative. We are all mates and need not fall out as it seems some are possibly on the road to: TAKE ALL WITH A PINCH OF SALT, which is actually rather good with BP along with a sprinkle of cracked black pepper.

More than likely be back to research and remembering next, but will look in for a laugh and a chat again soon, hope you guy's will all be here and be as alway's mates and friend's.

Regard's K.

Albert Bishop
29th July 2009, 06:49 PM
The Goodies once did a sketch about a Yorkshire sporting contest known as "Ekky Thump" Contestants would beat each other with very large black puddings untill one of them submitted, So I reckon Tiger and Jim should retire to no 5 hatch and revive that noble sport. While we all watch and make bets. Cheers Albi.

Keith at Tregenna
29th July 2009, 06:59 PM
Shake hands and get on with having a great time. The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same - Agree to dis - agree if nec, but remember this is the British Merchant Navy - LOOKING FOR OLD FRIENDS. Emphasis on friends - Ship Mates ?

Nos DA - Welsh for Good Night.

K.

wilky
29th July 2009, 08:58 PM
Hi everybody, obout the black puddings . It was only meant light heartedly and something we would probably all have debated on board after a few cans or three, If somembody had brought it up!. I thank you for all your responce, I have taken in all your comments on the best black pudding in the world ! It would appear that it as upset a few members of our community to which I am sorry . The reason I love this site is because its like being back at sea with all your old ship mates and lets face it, when we got in the pig and had a can or three we talked about anything. I personly feel that if we didnt diverse now and again that this site woudnt be the great site that we have all come to love. sincere appologies , All the best to everybody . Wilky

Keith at Tregenna
29th July 2009, 10:04 PM
NO WORRIES MATE: And you need not apologise, switched off earlier too watch Geordie DVD - Auf Pet.

Could not resist a night cap.

Message to all: keep it real.

Apart from that been and is a great post.

Reckon it will run and run, but a bit like the tellie, not happy with the content of a channel etc, look at another...... Enough choice on site. Nite nite, K.

happy daze john in oz
30th July 2009, 06:11 AM
Jean, never elt anyone put you down, once they win with one there will be no stopping them. You just stay as you are warm, caring and a great asset to us all.:eek:

happy daze john in oz
31st July 2009, 06:43 AM
I see Gulliver is not happy with some of our comments and subjects, his right to disagree. But the fact is we area very diverse group with one common thread, the love of the sea. we are one big happy family who from time to time have little spats. So we are really just like any normal disfunctional family. But I love it all lads, the diversity, the tales, the commenst, so keep 'em coming.:eek:

Les Woodard
31st July 2009, 06:55 AM
Well said John as there are a few on site that have a dummy spit when they think that they are being criticised, but who amongst us have never had our opinion questioned by another on board. Did we not all develop thick skins to survive the time in the MN. What I remember is that it usually ended up with a good laugh over it in the end by all concerned then forgotten.

Geoff Anderson
31st July 2009, 07:16 AM
Hi Jim.
As they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating,why dont you send her some.?? I'm positive tiger will give you an honest and unbiased opinion.:D
Geoff;);)

Gulliver
31st July 2009, 05:55 PM
"I see Gulliver is not happy with some of our comments and subjects, his right to disagree. But the fact is we area very diverse group with one common thread, the love of the sea. we are one big happy family who from time to time have little spats. So we are really just like any normal disfunctional family. But I love it all lads, the diversity, the tales, the commenst, so keep 'em coming.:eek: "

(That was a quote from Happy Daze John in Oz)

That's OK.....Happy Daze John in Oz....that's your opinion.
Blame me......for everything......I've got broad shoulders.:)

PS I hate Black Pudding.

Gulliver

wilky
31st July 2009, 08:45 PM
Hi Tiger , when you said , have I got any more did you mean threads or black puddings ? . If it was the latter then yes I have got some more and we are not that far away from each other. Like I stated in an earlier post I live in Knaresborough, you being near York , we are practicaly next door to each other. Maybe meet up sometime, my wife likes a run out . All the best, Wilky

Geoff Anderson
1st August 2009, 12:50 AM
Hi Jim.
You would have to be careful, as to what type of postage and services you used. Do you use the dangerous goods or livestock :eek: .LOL Good job you havent got to send it over
seas, what would you put on the customs declearation?HA hA.
GEOFF:D

PS Wilky are you a motorcyclist, as it looks like you have a wax jacket on???:confused:

happy daze john in oz
1st August 2009, 05:32 AM
Well Gulliver if your shoulders are that wide then maybe you could cxarry the black pudding up to Tiger Jeans place as I am sure postie will have some diverse reason for not being able to deliver. My sister had her 50th birthday and I wanted to send her an egg from Oz to U.K. to denote a new bigining, a new phase in her life. So i sent her a hard fried one in the post. It got there in five days. Oh the wonders of modern postal systems.:eek:

wilky
1st August 2009, 09:08 PM
Hi x taffy 2 , no mate I`m not a motorcyclist , its a black shirt not a waxed jacket. I do have an old chopper though ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Les Woodard
1st August 2009, 10:20 PM
Wilky I reckon nearly all of us have one of those and many a good ride was had with it. Not to mention the strife that we got into with them as well.

Neil Morton
1st August 2009, 10:57 PM
G'day Happy Daze how are things up north in Sunbury? If you feel like a drive one Wednesday ( I'd wait till the weather improves) go to the Mornington Main St market, its open all day and about half way down on the left coming from the top end you will find the butcher in question. No good telling who sent you they dont know me from a bar of Lifebouy.I might even join you for a snort at the Grand Hotel.Sorry it took so long to reply.

All the best Neil (Mort) Morton.;)

Mick O'Brien
1st August 2009, 11:19 PM
On the subject of bikes, I think i will get on mine next sat and cycle up to Bury and get some of them there black puds.

madmick.

Geoff Anderson
2nd August 2009, 12:01 AM
Hi Wilky.
Ho so this is not your bike then?. Not much of a chopper.
geoff:D

happy daze john in oz
2nd August 2009, 12:28 AM
G'day Mortnj, thanks for that. Will catch up when I get back from my trip, going Monday for couple of weeks.:eek:

Gulliver
2nd August 2009, 06:08 PM
That was quite funny,Jim....he's an acquired taste though,isn't he?...
Gulliver

For Jim.......

Stuart Henderson
3rd August 2009, 11:47 AM
According to BBC news this morning Haggis originated in England,south of the border. Shock horror.........
Black puddings from Normandy too. What on earth is the world coming to. They will be claiming McDonalds are English next and curry & rice and kebabs and sea pie avec cockroaches a la Vindi.
Stuart H.
France

noodles
3rd August 2009, 01:39 PM
hi wiki love ur post about black puddings i also love them amazing amount of replies u got ...totataly amazing ........... noel

Keith at Tregenna
3rd August 2009, 03:03 PM
Just to add onto my earlier post re: vegeterian Black Pudding - An ice cream company has unveiled its latest mouth watering flavour - made with black pudding. Dowson's Dairies Ltd of Clayton-le-Dale, Blackburn, Lancs, will serve it next month at the annual Black Pudding Festival in Bacup. "Most people think we are a bit wacky but with the advent of bacon and egg flavour down south, it shows there is a market," said John Gardner of Dowson's.

Full story at BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4187162.stm

Keith at Tregenna
3rd August 2009, 05:02 PM
First open a Word document, then cut and paste from here to there,

ANY PROBLEMS PLEASE PRIVATE MAIL ME.

Will copy anything and send on. K.

CAN PUT ALL IN A NICE SETTING AND DESIGN ETC.

You would be most welcome.

wilky
3rd August 2009, 07:58 PM
For all you black pudding lovers out there, and not! Here is something you will probably not have experienced. Try grilling it lightly on both sides just to crisp it up, after taking the skin off that is. Then put some mature cheddar on top , put it back under the grill and within minutes you will have created a new taste sensation. Heres to black puddings.:D:D:D:D:

wilky
4th August 2009, 11:34 AM
Hey Jean I`m with you on the haggis.[ scottish ] another one of my favourites . I was`nt trying to claim my recipe to be [english ] just another way of eating the humble black pud. :confused::confused::confused:

wilky
9th August 2009, 08:38 PM
Jean ,Jean, Jean . You shoud`nt be comparing black puddings to haggis they are a different entity. I thought you where going to compare them to the scottish black pud. You woudnt eat haggis with your bacon and eggs,, just like you woudnt eat black puddings with tatties and neaps. All the best Jean great to have you back. Take care .

Keith at Tregenna
9th August 2009, 09:03 PM
Guess this should be posted under Catering really ?

Bread and Butter Pudding

Bread and Butter Pudding ( not to be confused with Bread Pudding) seems to have a long and honourable history. In 1845, Eliza Acton in her book "Modern Cookery for Private Families" provides one of the earliest recipes. The curious thing is that whilst the basic mix and cooking method have remained consistent there are now so many variants that Bread and Butter Pudding could be seen as a range of desserts rather than a single dish. The following provides the basic pudding ( which is ideal as a first venture at cooking for junior chefs in the making ) and some more experimental versions for the adventurous cook ! Most recipes agree that the important thing is to let the assembled pudding sit for about an hour before cooking it in order to let the bread swell and soak up all the lovely custard liquid.

Ingredients;

4-5 slices of bread ( usually from large white loaf with the crusts cut off)

2oz (50g) butter

3oz ( 75g) currants ( or sultanas if you prefer)

3 eggs beaten ( some recipes just use 2 eggs & an extra yolk to make it richer)

300mls ( about 1/2 pint of milk )

The grated rind of 1 lemon

Optional 2 tablespoons ( brandy/rum/cream liqueur of your choice)

1oz (25 g) sugar

1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg or cinnamon.

To make;

Butter the bread & cut each slice into 4 triangles

Grease a 1 pint ( 600ml) ovenproof pie dish

Arrange the bread in layers ( butter side up) sprinkling the currants between the layers

Beat the eggs, milk, lemon rind ( and the alcohol if including) together.

Pour over the bread and leave for at least an hour.

Sprinkle top with sugar & nutmeg/cinnamon

Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180C 230F Gas Mark 4 ( Don't forget to make it 10 degrees less if you are using fan assisted oven)

Serve hot with cream or additional custard.

To vary the recipe: substitute any favourite bread for white sliced including sliced brioche or panettone. Try adding a layer of marmalade or jam to the bread to make it sweeter and, if you are really feeling adventurous, why not try a savoury version. layering savoury bread with cheese and substituting mustard or ketchup for the sultanas. You could also include ham or other sliced meat. Use your imagination but obviously omit the sugar and lemon in this particular version.

K.

wilky
9th August 2009, 09:23 PM
Keith you have really got my taste buds flowing now . Thanks for the recipe will be trying that one .

Keith at Tregenna
9th August 2009, 09:32 PM
Wilky:

Just love:

Here's to tall ships
Here's to small ships
Here's to all the ships on the sea
But the best ships are friendships ..
Here's to you and me .

Is it your own ? are there more verses etc.

Regards K.

wilky
10th August 2009, 09:07 PM
That is , unfortunately. Not my own it was one I found while I was doing a bit of surfing. Surprisiing what you find in the water!

wilky
11th August 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Jean, it seems like we are the only two left on this one so I suppose it is up to me to wrap it up. Thankyou so much for all your imput and I have taken in everything you have said. We will bring the black pudding , you provide the haggis neaps and tatties and we can make a day of it. Thanks Jean. A really big thankyou to everybody thats been following this thread especially for those that contributed I know its trivial and nothing to do with the sea and it all started after a night at the pub I didnt reallt expect 1 resonse and we have reached the 100 mark. Thankyou everybody! Heres to the next one.:eek::eek::eek:

Gulliver
11th August 2009, 08:50 PM
Wilky and Jean,
Even I warmed to the little bastards in the end.
OK....Let's blow the last one up!
Gulliver

Keith at Tregenna
17th August 2009, 07:16 PM
How exactly do you and how can you wrap up Black Pudding ? K.

wilky
17th August 2009, 08:20 PM
Good point Keith . I have got a load of people in my local all talking black puddings , they have even put them on the menue so maybe its not dead yet . :p:p:p:p

happy daze john in oz
18th August 2009, 06:32 AM
How do you wrap a black pudding. Take the whole pudding and wrap in bacon rashers. wrap in foil and bake in oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Open foil for last 5 minutes. serve with scrambled egg and grilled tomato, plenty of ground black pepper.:eek:

Keith at Tregenna
21st August 2009, 06:48 PM
NOT TO MUSICAL MYSELF BUT: SANG THIS TO MYSELF IN THE SHOWER EARLIER.

IT WORKS:

Take the whole pudding and Rap in bacon rashers. wrap in foil and bake in oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Open foil for last 5 minutes. serve with scrambled egg and grilled tomato, plenty of ground black pepper

Cool, could get to number one in the world charts, anyone interested in joining in and the release of a single ? If you cannot play or sing - should go far............................................ K.

If all else fails, we could get Eminen to cover.

Geoff Anderson
21st August 2009, 07:33 PM
Hi Keith.
How many of us can you fit in your shower???:D

Keith at Tregenna
21st August 2009, 08:01 PM
Guess we should use the Welsh changing rooms at the Millenium Stadium, could fit in Charlotte Church, Our Shirley, Duffy, Cleris Mathews, Max Boyce, Tom Jones, the Sterephonics etc. NOT A BAD LINE UP FOR A CHARITY SINGLE: The Black Pudding Rap.

Gulliver
21st August 2009, 08:12 PM
Well Keith...of Tregenna.Congratulations! You've really 'crossed the line' now. Inviting strange men(Geoff) into your shower,and doing unspeakable things with black puddings.You used to be such a nice,quiet man.Congratulations!

It used to be 'Spankers,Futtocks and Galligaskins' to you.
Now it's 'Showers and Black Puddings'.

Keith at Tregenna
21st August 2009, 08:52 PM
GLAD YOU CALLED ME KEITH, HAD WORRIED THAT YOU MISTOOK ME FOR GEORGUS MICHAELUS: Did suggest the National Stadium of Wales for a shower including some major Welsh celebs. No Wham there, been to those kind of parties, lost my car, its keys and ended up with a granny from Ponty and a mini, theres me left standing with two flat tyres.

Back to the rap, could put Black Pud on the map, nothing like the meat to keep to the beat, Yeah ! BP is best, when put to the test, from your town or mine, the flavour is devine. keep away from our starlet, Charlotte the Harlot as far as our rugby they know that All Black is best. Bring on all foes, no worries or woes. We had BP at Break Fast and more for our Dinner, now onto the field, we are onto a winner.

BOOGIE DOWN WITH SOME PIGS BLOOD AND SPICES OF OLD,( Posh, Sporty, Ginger, Baby) Yeah man, OR YEMEN, Black Pudding is cool, unless eaten hot, Rapped in bacon rashers. wrapped in foil and bake in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Open foil for last 5 minutes. serve with scrambled egg and grilled tomatdo, plenty of ground black pepper. Song needs fine tuning, but could work............ K.

Keith at Tregenna
21st August 2009, 09:34 PM
WHAT ABOUT THIS LOT: Black Pudding Tossing

Every year in the Northwest of England 'The World Black Pudding Tossing Competition' takes place. The event which resurrects the ancient rivalry between the counties of Lancashire and Yorkshire has taken place every year since the 1850s The current venue for the event is the 'Royal Oak' pub in the village of Ramsbottom, Greater Manchester.

6 oz. Bury puddings are lobbed at a wall of Yorkshire puddings set on a plinth 6 m. above the ground. The winner is the contestant who dislodges the most Yorkshire puddings during their three lobbing attempts.

Thats a Rap.

happy daze john in oz
22nd August 2009, 04:49 AM
Keith mate I know you are good at poetry but nebver knew you had a musical bent.:eek:

Keith at Tregenna
22nd August 2009, 07:21 PM
Should get back to the serious stuff, thanks for the light relief and a bit of both banter and fun. Guess I have the Black Pudding Blues and thats a rap.

Geoff Anderson
22nd August 2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Keith.
Thanks for the banter, You know what they say about laughter its the best form of medicine.Beside when you laught and smile, it makes the opposition wonder what the hell youve been up to, and what do you know that they dont! . :eek: Keep them coming you cant be serious all the time.:D
GEOFF.

wilky
22nd August 2009, 09:13 PM
Keith , maybe what you should have said is, lets get Black to serious stuff, and theres nothing blacker than a Bury black pudding. Not sure about the tossing, though I come from Lancashire I would prefare to eat them rather than than throw them at the Yorkshire puds, even if it is to prove our superioroty in the black pudding market. I Love the comments that you have all made about the humble black pud and Think I can say without doubt thats its the most talked about food stuff on site . Love it or hate it, it rocks the boat.:D
Sorry Gully your bomb hasnt done the deed.
All the best to everybody.. Wilky.:):):)

Keith at Tregenna
22nd August 2009, 09:48 PM
Reggae version planned, but latest news is on dem Blues................. K

Suzanne's black pudding blues!

From the Bolton Evening News, first published Tuesday 3rd Apr 2001.

BLONDE popstar Suzanne Shaw has made a confession to warm every Lancastrian heart -- she loves an ample portion of Bury's famous black pudding.

Suzanne revealed her penchant for the staple Bury grub when asked to list the things she missed most about the town.

While friends and family topped her list, she placed black puddings third.

Suzanne also revealed a love of the area and said Bury would always be in her heart.

She said: "I will always come from Bury and I'll never forget that. I want to thank all of the band's fans in the town for supporting me."

The 19-year-old's group, Hear'Say, made chart history on Sunday after becoming the first British act to top the single and album charts simultaneously with debut releases.

But the bubbly singer, who is now becoming accustomed to London life, said she plans to return north as often as possible.

She said: "As soon as I have some time off, I'm going straight back home.

"I miss knowing where every shop is and knowing my family and friends are just around the corner. I also miss black puddings."

Suzanne rose to fame on ITV's Popstars programme which followed the fortunes of more than 3,000 wannabe stars.

An audience topping 10 million saw her accepted into the group following a visit from one of the judges, "Nasty" Nigel Lythgoe.

Since then Suzanne has become a household name along with fellow band members Myleene Klass, Danny Foster, Kym Marsh and Noel Sullivan. Their first single Pure and Simple became the third biggest selling debut record of all time.

Suzanne said: "Growing up in Bury was really cool. The environment I grew up in enabled me to live a really normal life and I'm still in touch with friends and family in the area."

The band's album -- named Popstars -- sold 306,631 copies in its first week, sending it soaring to the top. It outsold the rest of the Top 10 combined.

Suzanne said: "It's a bit different from playing wars with my friends around the back of our houses."

Archive Home

From the Bolton Evening News
http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk
© Newsquest Media Group 2001

Keith at Tregenna
22nd August 2009, 10:02 PM
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewshortstory.asp?id=15184

Keith at Tregenna
22nd August 2009, 10:54 PM
The Pud:

Stornoway Black Pudding :: The Original and Best

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.wjmacdonald.com/&ei=9HSQSpjePOWgjAe36MzgDQ&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=2&ct=result&usg=AFQjCNH2WkyDmVcosKgjrWJeLDEm-Se-0Q

The sauce:

http://www.reggae-reggae.co.uk/

To follow Country Black Pud...

wilky
22nd August 2009, 11:34 PM
Bloody hell Keith they have only been going for seventy years. It does say the original Stornaway black pudding , not the original black pudding! Bury have been producing black puddings since Adam was a lad .Soon as Adam came out of the garden he introduced Eve to the pudding club in Bury and the rest is history.:p:p:p

Keith at Tregenna
22nd August 2009, 11:51 PM
BUT YOU WOULD NOT PUT REGGAE REGGAE SAUCE ON A BURY PUD ?

Be a bit like a good malt with coke.......

wilky
23rd August 2009, 12:02 AM
Ill try anything once .. Bob Marley liked a bit of black pud!

Keith at Tregenna
23rd August 2009, 12:04 AM
Thought that was Mrs M.

Keith at Tregenna
23rd August 2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7BViZCXApg

salvina
23rd August 2009, 04:18 AM
Just thought I would add my little bit to the black pudding debate. On the Salvina (and I am sure all the other Sal boats) we used to get Norwegian black pudding made from whales blood. It had a slightly sweetish taste but wasn't too bad.
For the record I lived in Bury between coming back from South Africa and moving to Cyprus and I can honestly say that I could never develop a taste for Bury black pudding. I still prefer the Scottish style in the big roll which is sliced and fried.
I actually lived in Tottington which is the next village to Ramsbottom and the pub where the black pudding throwing championships were held was " The Corner Pin" which closed quite a few years ago and as far as I am aware there were none held after it closed. The last winner was an Australian.;)

wilky
23rd August 2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Jim, Dont like tripe , but I heard that there was a telivision documentuary the other week that stated that the first mention on haggis was in Lancashire about 100 years before it was mentioned in Scotland.. Now theres a debate!:D:D:D

Keith at Tregenna
23rd August 2009, 11:23 PM
The History of "Black Pudding Waving" in Pubs in
Bury, Lancashire

The Black Pudding is the official Bury mascot. It is also the subject of an ancient and traditional ritual.

Black puddings had traditionally always been hunted in the fields and moorland around the town, and were sold on the famous Bury Market as a delicacy. Small and lithe little creatures, with their brownish-green furry coats, remarkable eyesight and razor sharp teeth, it was considered a great honour to be recognised as one of Bury's number of black pudding hunters.

However, local folklore has it that the best black pudding hunter in Bury, Arthur Bradshaw, took to trapping live black puddings and taking them home. As black puddings are prodigious breeders, a thriving black pudding farm soon sprang up in Arthur's back yard. This rapidly got out of control and many black puddings escaped to live a verminous life in the town.

Bury soon became infested with wild black puddings. They would scurry through the streets, in and out of houses, through the sewers and all around the famous Bury Market. There were so many of them, they were almost a plague. The town council would give a shilling (5p) a tail to people managed to catch one of the animals within the town. Obviously at that time, a shilling was a tidy sum - it would keep you in clogs and flat caps for a year. Anyone who caught one would wring it's neck and wave it in the air with undisguised glee.

However it soon got to the stage where this no longer had any effect of the swarming tide of vermin because the black puddings could breed faster than the people could kill them. The townsfolk just couldn't take anymore. An angry mob formed, and besieged the home of the town's official black pudding catcher, George Postlethwaite. They demanded action.

Now George was a mysterious chap, believed to have magical powers. He wasn't your usual vermin control operative. George would never use poisons or traps, but rumour had it he could charm the black puddings into a sort of trance. George was promised the freedom of the town, if he would only rescue the beleaguered population from the seething mass of furry critters. George stood in the middle of Kay Gardens and took out his penny whistle. He began to play a haunting, eerie melody and soon black puddings were appearing from everywhere. They came out of the houses, up the drains, from stables, outside toilets, pubs, shops, everywhere. Soon, George was stood in the middle of a writhing, seething, rippling blanket of greenish brown fur. He began to walk slowly out of town, with the seething mass following him. He walked all the way to Holcombe Hill, where he suddenly stopped playing. Immediately, a common fear befell the animals around him and they all disappeared down the burrows of their rural cousins, where they still live to this day.

Unfortunately, black puddings still breed relentlessly and numbers have to be kept down. Some are still killed by local hunters, skinned, boiled and sold on the market. but an official, cull is needed to ensure they never again reach plague proportions.

This has now become a tradition and every year, about this time, the menfolk of the town go out at dawn, just as the mist is clearing from the fields, for the Annual Wild Black Pudding Hunt on Holcombe Hill. The men trap and kill as many black puddings as possible and the one with the most is declared Champion Hunter for that year. In deference to the great plague, tradition decrees that all the men have to go into the pubs and wave their black puddings in the air, so that they can be officially counted. That is why people in pubs in Bury wave black puddings in the air.

As an interesting historical note, and to prove my story is true, if you go to Bury you will see that there is a pub called The George in Kay Gardens, the start of George Postlethwaite's great walk to Holcombe Hill. If you drive out of the town centre for about half a mile, towards Bolton, there is a pub on Bolton Road called The Arthur Inn. This pub is built on the site of Arthur Bradshaw's house and the yard where he had his infamous black pudding farm.

Author Credit to Mike Williams

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/5605/

happy daze john in oz
24th August 2009, 05:42 AM
Salvina its a good job you do not live in New Zealand. With a name like Ramsbottom and throwing black puddings at it would un-nerve even the stoutest hearted Kiwi.

David Williams
24th August 2009, 04:56 PM
Hi Jean.
For me,food as either got to look nice,smell nice
or both.Black Puddings dont do anything for me
sorry!!!
How are you keeping,well I hope,you look after
yourself,and take it easy.

Dave Williams(R583900)

David Williams
24th August 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Keith.
My favourite topping on chips ,is Mayonaisse,
but its got to be Hellmans.I was dubious about
it at first,but after the first taste,that was me
hooked.Then I like HP BROWN SAUCE over all
else.The King and Queen of sauces in my opinion.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Keith at Tregenna
24th August 2009, 07:27 PM
Going back here to 1972: My first real love, would have Mayo on anything, I remember our first real date aNd she applied mayo to all of her meal.(AND HER FROM DINAS POWIS) Since then have found in Rottertdam and Amsterdam etc, mayo is the norm on your chips. Many places have a vital ingredient to add - Could be Cheese and chips, Chillie and chips, Fish Supper - In Cardiff the norm and almost our National dish is Chicken Curry off the bone, applied liberally over chips. Deep fried Mars Bar ? How come when it's a takeaway Chinese chips are far superior to Indian chips ?

Anyone remember Scrumps ? They were the bits of batter etc, you got free if you asked. And the old one: How much is a pie ? What about gravy: Gravy is free, 10 pot's of gravy, please.

Strange, started talking of the vital toppings and forgot the vital ingredient,....... CHIPS.

What is your fave on chips ? Or if you just like chips: What might you have on them ?

NO POINTS FOR CHIPS ON CHIPS, Salt and vinegar is OK..............

wilky
24th August 2009, 08:26 PM
hi Jim and jean , didnt want to throw a spanner in the works on that last post . Haggis to me will always be Scottish. It was only something that had been quoted to me in the local. Jean I love haggis , as well as black puddings . I just saw the funny side to it , that if haggis was first invented in England, how good would that be. :):) Keith, in Lancashire the bits you are refering to are called scraps. What a bloody waste of time!, sooner have the fish and chips and a carton of mushy peas any day.. The only trouble these days it costs more than a days wages or was that a week ? back in the merch days. Best regards to everyone.
I am now sat with a glass of shiraz wondering if I have upset anyone. Hoestly didnt mean too.:o::D

Keith at Tregenna
24th August 2009, 10:33 PM
How Do I Love Thee - West Indian Style {version 1}

TRINI POEM

You are the essence in my mauby De fish in my fishcakes I love you love you dearly You are the lard oil in my bakes. You are the coconut in my sweetbread De pigtail in my rice Just like piece of curry goat head I will love you till I dead.

You are the sardine in my gravy The dumplings in my soup I love you more than mi belly Yes I love you bad fah true Like banana leaf around my conkie I'll be always close to you Sweet like sugar in your green tea I'll do anything for you.

You are the sauce around my Cou Cou Hot like sweetbread when it done I will stick to you like dandruff Like the corns upon your toes Like the fat around your belly I'll be everywhere you goes. Cause you are my black pudding And I know I am your souse

When you call I will come running Like when a boar cat see a mouse Oh my pepper on my pork chop Sweet like sorrel when it mix When my hands caress your body You feel just like a couple-six You are sweeter than a snowcone I will give you all I own

You are sweeter than a hambone Soft and sweet like piece'o'pone No one can take me from you Not in this life or death My Panya girl I love you It's just your mudda uh cant tek.

Keith at Tregenna
24th August 2009, 11:25 PM
SAVE HAGGIS IN TROUBLE

Every year, almost 100,000 haggis are needlessly slaughtered in haggis processing centres around the country to cater for the ever-increasing popularity of Scottish haggis.

Once, the Highlands of Scotland were teeming with these cute creatures, but modern-day intensive haggis farming has caused the numbers of wild haggis to decline sharply.

There are various haggis processing plants in Scotland, with most of them being located in the Highlands, although more and more centres are being opened in the central belt near their intended markets. The most modern haggis processing plant is situated on the A82 Glasgow-Fort William road at Loch Lomond.

The haggis are farmed on the summit of the hills before being forced towards the pipes. The force of gravity is then used to hurl the haggis downwards towards the lethal haggis squashers. These squashers are touted as being "modern and humane" towards the haggis, but the end result is the same...

Haggis are needlessly tortured and suffer absolute agony before finally dying in this "humane" way by these despicable mechanisms. Once processed, these haggis are sold to butchers and supermarkets all around the world (even through the World-wide Web!) for Scots and would-be Scots to celebrate the life of the great poet, Rabbie Burns (1759-1796).

Burns Suppers are now so popular that they last from November to March, thus creating even more suffering for these poor, innocent creatures.

We are not asking for a total ban on Burns Suppers, or, indeed, a total ban on haggis.

Artificial haggis that is just as tasty can be made using white puddings and haggis can still be farmed, but in a more humane and natural method, such as the methods used to farm both highland cattle and the midge.

Please give this cause some serious thought. If invited to a Burns Supper, insist on artificial haggis.

To find out how you can help to Save Haggis In Trouble, please click here, or visit our affiliated Haggis Net site at: http://www.wallydug.demon.co.uk/haggis/
Please remember:

Save Haggis In Trouble

Neil Morton
24th August 2009, 11:36 PM
Your a pridefull man Keith,I reckon our bus cunductor Mat Munroe would beat that Welsh lot hollow provided he could get his bus in there.Ha! Ha!:D:D

Doc Vernon
24th August 2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Keith,
Seems like this Link isnt working ???? Ideas!:)
Thanks

http://www.flyinghaggis.co.uk.

Keith at Tregenna
25th August 2009, 02:45 AM
http://www.wallydug.demon.co.uk/haggis/

happy daze john in oz
25th August 2009, 06:15 AM
Interesting Keith Sweetbreads are something you rarely see these days, ery nice in white sauce. Now Capreti or Goat as you call it is great, like very gamey lamb. great in curry and very popular with the West Indians.:eek:

Keith at Tregenna
25th August 2009, 08:23 PM
King Boggen, he built a fine new hall;
Pastry and piecrust, that was the wall;
The windows were made of black pudding and white,
Roofed with pancakes -- you never saw the like.

happy daze john in oz
26th August 2009, 07:20 AM
If we are going to have savage boys with peace pudding, delicious, then why not Pie Eels and mash with liquor? One of the tastiest dishes you will ever eat.:eek:

Colin Hawken
26th August 2009, 06:49 PM
Do you get things like that out there in the Colonies? (only joking. ;););)

Colin Hawken
26th August 2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry,forgot to sign my self off UNREPENTANT SON OF THE EMPIRE.;)

Keith at Tregenna
26th August 2009, 09:14 PM
From Wilkypedia - OK: it is from Wikipedia.

White pudding or oatmeal pudding is a meat dish popular in Scotland, Ireland,[1] Northumberland, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland. It is also quite popular in Devon and Cornwall, where it is known as Hog's pudding. It is very similar to black pudding, but does not include blood. Consequently, it consists of pork meat and fat, suet, bread, and oatmeal formed into the shape of a large sausage.[2] Earlier versions (pre-1990) often had brain matter (sheep) added as a binding agent.

In Scotland, white pudding can also be known as Mealy pudding and does not always take the form of a sausage. It consists of suet, oatmeal, onions and spices. Some versions of Scottish white pudding are suitable for vegans, in that they contain no animal fat, vegetable fat being used instead.

The pudding may be cooked whole, or cut into slices and fried. It is an important feature of the traditional Irish breakfast. White pudding (as well as its black and red relatives) is also served battered at chip shops in Scotland as an alternative to fish (see fish and chips). When served accompanied by chips it is known as a White Pudding Supper.

happy daze john in oz
27th August 2009, 05:16 AM
Hi there Hawkeye, pie eels and mash shops were evry common all over the East end, and parts of the West end of London, but by the late 60's most had gone. Like the stalls that used to see cockles, whelks, etc outside the pubs on a Saturday night, doubt if any of them are still around now.:eek:

jimmys
27th August 2009, 10:47 AM
The history of these puddings is a bit hazy as they were usually consumed with large amounts of whisky.
They were very popular among the drovers of cattle who walked the cattle to the Scottish markets.
The blood used for the puddings was drawn from the live cattle. The onions grew wild and every drover had his oatmeal and horn of plenty (whisky). They mixed the pudding at the camp.
We have got a bit more civilised now and we kill and butcher the livestock first.
My local butcher Gordon Brown (for real) makes black pudding, mealie puddings and fruit puddings, he also makes real haggis, in a stomach. The other Gordon Brown just butchers our economy.
The haggis is very popular at the Burns Suppers around 25th january. The one I go to has a full bottle of whisky at every sitting. You are fully expected to lift the empty one on high and another is brought to you.

As I say they are still consumed with large amounts of whisky!!!

regards
jimmy

Louis the Amigo
27th August 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Tiger 1 jean Hi shipmates',I was talking to a butcher this am, he told me that he cant use{ REAL} animal blood to make his black pudding, it is against the law? and has been for a number of years ? is this true or is a porkey pie?:eek::confused::eek:

wilky
27th August 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi everybody , Jean I think the Jellied eels stalls where Tubby Isaacs, could never get in to those personally............. I have just been given, some Spanish black puddings !:eek:. I will try them out and give you my opinion. Jim thanks for the offer of sharing your hideout. Hopefully it wont be needed, but you never know. Catch you all soon.

happy daze john in oz
28th August 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi there Tiger Jean , thanks for that bit of info, I thought they would all be gone by now. Yes they were a great feed, loved the eels.

Albert Bishop
28th August 2009, 10:34 AM
Morning all, I think Louis is right. Since the CJD scare a lot of new rules were brought in reguarding the use of animal blood. No idea what they use now. Cheers, Albi.

happy daze john in oz
29th August 2009, 05:37 AM
Never wasa so much spoken about any thing as humble as the Black Pudding, wonderful as it is. If they can produce synthetic oil I suppose synthetic blood is possible, but somehow it just does not sound right. What amazes me more is the fact we are still allowed to call it 'Black' pudding. How long before the politicaly correct brigade say that is racist?:eek: After all they killed off the Robertsons ********.

Duke Drennan
29th August 2009, 01:08 PM
How true mate. Mind you, it'll only be caucasians who can't call it black pudding!!
It's all about the money.

wilky
30th August 2009, 08:29 PM
Well, everybody , tonight I sampled my first ever, Spanish back pudding. It was different but very nice. The only way I can discribe it is somewhere between a Bury black pudding and a [ Sottish Haggis ] and I love them both so well worth a try.:):):p:D

wilky
31st August 2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Jean , got them from a deli in Harrogate. My daughter works there part time and she brought them over as a gift knowing my passioin for black puddings. Like I said before well worth a go.

happy daze john in oz
1st September 2009, 05:32 AM
Hi Jim, have to agree with you about Greenwich. When I swallowed the anchor the first job I had was as a barman in the 'Hare and Billet' on Blackheath., that would have been about early 1966. Wonder if it is still there?

Keith at Tregenna
3rd September 2009, 02:12 AM
Turned over channels earlier, thought I had found a prog on the Black stuff, intrigued to see no mention of blood - RE: EARLIER POSTINGS: as I continued to watch, found this was actually Haggis in the making. Hopefully, next time I channel hop - will find a prog on BP ?

Keith at Tregenna
3rd September 2009, 10:10 PM
As I walked down Pendle hill I could see the Jam Butty plantations far to my right .

I went down past Sabden treacle mines and sat by the ginger beer stream I heard far away in the distance the unforgettable sound of The Black pudding Bird that nests in the rhubarb trees above Padiham.

A Black pudding Bird is a small animal native to Lancashire. Well when I say animal, actually it's a bird with vestigial wings - like the ostrich. Because the habitat of the Black Pudding Bird in exclusively mountainous, and because it is always found on the sides of Pennies, it has evolved a rather strange gait. The poor thing has only three legs, and each leg is a different length - the result of this is that when hunting Black Pudding Birds, you must get them on to a flat plain - then they are very easy to catch - they can only run round in circles.

After catching your Black Pudding Bird, and dispatching it in time honoured fashion, it is cooked in boiling water for a period of time, and then served with potatoes and turnips.

The Black Pudding Bird is considered a great delicacy in Lancashire, and as many of your compatriots will tell you, it tastes great - many visitors from the U.S. have been known to ask for second helpings of Black Pudding Bird!

The noise Black Pudding Bird make during the mating season gave rise to that other great Lancashire invention, the Lancashire pipes.

Many other countries have tried to establish breeding colonies of Black Pudding Bird, but to no avail - it's something about the air and water in the Pennines, which once the Black Pudding Bird is removed from that environment, they just pine away.

A little known fact about the Black pudding bird is its aquatic ability - you would think that with three legs of differing lengths, the poor wee beastie wouldn't be very good at swimming, but as some of the Pennine hillsides have rather spectacular lakes on them, over the years, the Black Pudding Bird has learned to swim very well. When in water, it uses its vestigial wings to propel itself forward, and this it can do at a very reasonable speed.

Black Pudding Birds are by nature very playful creatures, and when swimming, very often swim in a group - a bit like ducks - where the mother will swim ahead, and the youngsters follow in a line abreast. This is a very interesting phenomenon to watch, as it looks something like this:

Many people, living in Lancashire, during the first forty years of the 20th century, knew about the Sabden treacle mines. Above Sabden village, where the road winds over the Nick of Pendle, on both sides of the road there are signs of excavations. These mounds of earth looking very much part of the moorland, are supposedly the original sites of the entrances to the SABDEN TREACLE MINES.

Those curious to know, what happened to the mines, were told stories about treacle eating boggarts and that the area was best avoided in the hours of darkness. Most regarded these stories as huge jokes and anyone who believed that you could dig treacle out of the ground, were just plain daft. This is exactly what the P.I.E. agents (the Treacle Miners' Secret Army) wanted the curious to believe.

A N OTHER.

happy daze john in oz
4th September 2009, 05:32 AM
I never ever heard of black pudding being boiled, but for those of that pursuasion no doubt it is tasty. Who would have thought a post about the humble black pudding would attract almost 170 replies and be viewed by almost 3,000. :eek:

wilky
4th September 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Keith , I was born and lived for the best part of twenty years on the lower reaches of Pendle Hill . We used to go out most weekends with a Musket , or was that a can of colt 45 , looking for black pudding birds, or was that just birds in general, the mind plays tricks when you`ve had a few.. Anyway, Im sure we bagged a few . I think I got the spelling right on that one. John you can do anything with a black pudding , boil it grill it , fry it or just eat it as it is . Or heres another one , wrap it in streaky bacon and cook it till the bacon is cripy,, Very tasty.:D:D:D

Keith at Tregenna
5th September 2009, 02:57 AM
Treacle mines, ginger beer streams, black pudding birds, haggis hunting: great post and fun. K.

happy daze john in oz
5th September 2009, 05:02 AM
Keith, that was an eye opener about the black pudding bird, but I am interested in the Treacle Mines. Like so many I was always under the impression that treacle came from tins on the supermarket shelf, much in the same manner as milk comes from cardboard cartons.
Most forms of mining are fraught with danger, the risk of rock fall or a cave in, so what are the inherent dangers in mining Treacle? Does the treacle come in a solid form to be rendered down, or is it in a liquid form similar to crude oil? The best treacle is I know very dark which suggests to me it never see sthe light of day at any time. How did treacle mining start, and if it is mined why is it so sweet?
I look forward to you informed reply.:eek:

Keith at Tregenna
5th September 2009, 06:52 PM
The elephant is a dainty bird, it flies from bough to bough.
It makes it's nest in a Rhubarb Tree and Whistle like a cow !

Bit like:

One fine day in the middle of the night,
two dead men got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot each other.

Only line I recall at mo - anyone remember the rest or more of similar ? K.

NO COMMENTS ON : ginger beer streams then ?

happy daze john in oz
6th September 2009, 06:59 AM
If cow rymes with bow, then cough should ryme with bough, but it rymes with boff.

Keith at Tregenna
7th September 2009, 07:34 PM
An elephant is a dainty bird,
It flies from leaf to leaf;
It makes its nest in a strawberry plant,
And whistles through its teeth.

Mike Newell
7th September 2009, 08:05 PM
We kid you not Daze. there are treacle mines all over U K , from Cornwall to Scotland.
The pic of a pub in Thurrock proves it.;)
Mike

alf corbyn
8th September 2009, 10:16 AM
one fine night in the middle of the day
the tank caught fire and the water ran away
the blind man saw it the deaf man heard it
the lame ran to fetch the fire engine
the fire engine came had no wheels on
pulled by two dead donkeys
ran over a dead cat and half killed it
and set the fire out with parrafin

john the main problem with the treackle mines was that being glutinous if you were caught in a flow(good old flo) you had to get out fast before it set or live on cornish pasties givn to you by th other miners, who would rush off to get help. cheers. alf:D:D

Keith at Tregenna
8th September 2009, 10:27 PM
The treacle mining industry in Cornwall owes much to the county's unique geology. Millions of years ago seismic changes in the earth's crust resulted in hydrocarbons or fossil fuels such as coal metamorphosising into complex carbohydrates which in turn broke down giving rise to substantial deposits of sugars such as treacle and molasses. During the late 18th. and early 19th. century treacle was mined extensively throughout the county and Cornish treacle was said to be among the finest in the world, with treacle puddings forming an essential part of the traditional Cornish diet. The extraction of treacle was a highly skilled operation requiring stamina and teamwork. Miners however were poorly paid and worked in sticky and often very perilous conditions. Underground deposits of treacle were often under considerable pressure and many brave Cornishmen met an untimely death after inadvertently tapping into hitherto undiscovered reserves. This was in fact the origin of the saying ' to come to a sticky end '. During the latter part of the 19th. century the bottom fell out of the market as treacle prices slumped due in no small part to the importation of cheaper cane sugar and sugar beet from the West Indies. Faced with starvation, many miners and their families left to seek their fortune in the Golden Syrup fields of Kenya and Tanganyika.

David Williams
9th September 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Wilky.
How long will it be called "Black" pudding.One of the
Councils in Wales,I think its Radnorshire,have just
banned the pudding Spotted Dick from its menu's
as being offensive,its now on the menu as Spotted
Richard.How long before Faggots,become Sexualy
Unsettled Meatballs,or all Tarts become Flans,or
Black Pudding becomes Ethnic Minority Pudding,or
Cod Balls become Fish Spheres.Another example of
Politicaly Correct busybodies going overboard.

Dave Willliams(R583900)

Keith at Tregenna
9th September 2009, 05:35 PM
Is not Richard a longer form of D*CK or is this just irony, I would be more concerned with a spotted John Thomas on my plate and custard would be a neccesity, no cream. i wonder as to this report , if from Wales: who translated it - May'be it was some form of bleak pud or an entry from a menu via Llandewi Breffi.

Must know a little of LITTLE BRITAIN to understand.

EG: From the hit British comedy, Committed 'homosexualist' Daffyd lives in the Welsh town of Llanddewi Brefi. Proud to be gay, Daffyd flaunts his sexuality in a variety of rubber outfits, to the villagers' complete indifference. He refuses to accept he's not the only 'gayer' in the village, and is outraged when fellow gays trespass on his patch.

Myfanwy: So, how did the audition go?

Daffyd: It was a complete waste of time, the director said he couldn't see me as Hamlet. I'm sorry Myfanwy, but the Llandewi Breffi Amateur Dramatics Society is completely homophobist.

Myfanwy: Oh well, what audition speech did you do?

Daffyd: It's Raining Men by the Weather Girls.

We live in a modern world, (If your not happy, please feel free to leave) humour is one of the last pleasures that we are allowed, not certain for how long, surely this will also go up in smoke. Oxygen Tax - to be announced.

We all tell the same jokes: just change the title from an Irishman to Englishman etc. You gotta laugh or give in now.

K.

Gulliver
9th September 2009, 07:30 PM
Blimey Keith..Slow Down a bit man! I can't keep up with being bombarded with all these multitudinous topics by your good self,Sir!

I know.,....I' think I'll just 'drift into' a lovely little haven of tranquillity I've found...away from all these busy shipping lanes,and those floating round objects called 'black puddings'- can we still call them that?

That Site......is here.Click!....it's...(Ta-Da!)

http://www.ss-tregenna.co.uk/

Cheers!
Gulliver:D

Keith at Tregenna
9th September 2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.ss-tregenna.co.uk/ is a simple tribute, all are welcome,. but never the intention to capture an audience etc. We are a different entity and just attempt to play our part in remembrance. Glad to meet up with you guy's and girl's online and join in the banter, but conduct much more research etc. Only ever wish to aid and abet and sometimes take the edge off, what can seem a sad world.

K

David Williams
9th September 2009, 09:13 PM
Hi Geoff.
How the hell did you manage to get a
Full English Breakfast in deepest West
Wales?

Dave Williams(R583900)

Geoff Anderson
9th September 2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Davy.
It was in Pembroke, known as little England beyond WALES. And he was a pommy Chef.:D Well A cook anyway. Isnt i funny in the old days they were called cooks , Now weve all become yuppyfied and they are all called chefs.

lakercapt
11th September 2009, 01:51 PM
Many years ago was on my way to visit friends that lived in Yorkshire.
He requested that we bring down some Scottish black pudding and some sliced sausage.
Stopped at a butcher shop in Dalkeith and asked for 12 slices black pudding and 12 slices of sausage.
The butcher who was a bit of a wit said
"going to play draughts";);)

wilky
11th September 2009, 08:38 PM
Just had a Bury black pudding for my tea tonight . very nice . I keep hearing white puddings mentioned, can anybody tell me what they are made of?

happy daze john in oz
12th September 2009, 05:54 AM
Not sure about that one Wilky, but have eaten it in Ireland and it is a bit like a sausage but more the texture of black pudding than a traditional sausage. There is a lot more bran in and I would suggest mainly pork meat, it but it is very tasty.

Keith at Tregenna
12th September 2009, 06:03 AM
Hope this helps.

K.

link:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-white-pudding.htm

wilky
12th September 2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that Keith. I have just learned something else!. I am so supprised that this thread is still going. I am also supprised my mates down at my local, which is a real ale pub, are constantly talking about the black puds . That is due to me taking in a few of the Bury variety for them to try. They keep asking me when I`m going back for more . There is definately something about them that people like to talk about. Heres to black puddings ! :D ......... Sorry Davey but it had to be done:D

Ron B Manderson
21st September 2009, 09:03 PM
I am glad I read the web page about this.
Boy are they wrong on a great deal of ingredence.
So For that we scots will keep our secret.
Ok lads , let them south of the wall in limbo.

On the black puddings.
I find the english ones have big lumps of fat in them .
You would never sell them up here like that .
In forfar we have the british gold medal winner for blackpuddings.
Now they are just great, and we are keeping them up here.
So Ther.!!!!
Ron
Batcave
:D

wilky
21st September 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi Ron , down here in civilisation we have a choice. Lean or fatty,..Ill take the fatty ones anytime , Pigs fat is very tasty thats why so many people like like pork crackling. :p:p:p

Gulliver
23rd September 2009, 10:40 AM
How long will it be called "Black" pudding.One of the
Councils in Wales,I think its Radnorshire,have just
banned the pudding Spotted Dick from its menu's
as being offensive,its now on the menu as Spotted
Richard.How long before Faggots,become Sexualy
Unsettled Meatballs,or all Tarts become Flans,or
Black Pudding becomes Ethnic Minority Pudding,or
Cod Balls become Fish Spheres.Another example of
Politicaly Correct busybodies going overboard.

Dave Willliams(R583900)

Well Dave
Just heard today that Flintshire(it wasn't Radnor) Council has decided to re-instate Spotted Dick on the menu again,instead of Spotted Richard. They only changed it because it was causing amusement in the staff canteen. I ask you...where do they get these people?.......

In any case it gave many a convent girl(and the nuns) a vicarious thrill when it appeared on the menu.Early sex education?
As for one of our regulars,there's no way we'll ever stop calling him "Big Dick"(he's tall and broad).to distinguish him from the other 'little' Richards in the pub. No,he'll always be "Big Dick" to us.
As for the name of the pub itself "Ye Olde Faggott & Firkin"...well Ye Aged Homo and Barrell,doesn't have the same ring to it somehow.............:rolleyes:

Gulliver

happy daze john in oz
24th September 2009, 06:47 AM
Slightly aside from Black Pudding, have any of you eaten food that at first might have sounded a bit queer, whoops should that be gay, but found them to be very tasty. Yesterday I tried one, which at first sounded a bit odd, banana wrapped in bacon and grilled on the BBQ. Very tasty with abit of soy sauce.

Keith at Tregenna
25th September 2009, 08:22 PM
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the black or white stuff - I would not normally attempt to hi-jack a thread, buit need all to be involved and where better at the mo for, peep's lookiing in. Appypolilogies, if I err, but read on and decide for yourselves: Black pudding on a stamp could be next ?

GB stamps - forgotten service

FROM OUR POST OFFICE WEB SITE:

We set sail on the third and final issue in our Military Uniforms series by highlighting the history of clothing and equipment of the Royal Navy.

The series, which began in 2007 with the British Army and continued in 2008 with Royal Air Force, looks at more than two centuries of nautical apparel from the Senior Service; from a telescope-touting Admiral of 1795 to the high-tech, high visibility uniform of a modern day Flight Deck Officer.

Guess at what is the forgotten service, they as many overlook, I WILL BE WRITING IN: SUGGEST YOU MAY DO ALSO. If an MN stamp does appear in the future, all credit to them and those that push for it, or can be bothered - like all else it is up to us to both remember and ensure all others at least know. I will also write to her madge as our patron and request that we lick the reverse of an MN stamp also.

Please do similar and share your views on this, at least an MN STAMP AND AN MN First issue, plus an MN FIRST DAY COVER ON - OR BY MN DAY, next year would be welcomed.

I wiil push this as far as pos, but need all on site to do similar. Will furnish contact details as we go on, but youir search engine can get you rolling................ Please assist on thiis request, lets get It licked. K.

Am passionate on this one and ask you may all assist................... Please ?

Keith at Tregenna
18th October 2009, 05:56 PM
Just back from Scotland and much to tell, 99/100 for availability and also avilable 24/7, Both Black and White at breakfast or Haggis, both available at lunch and the Haggis with neeps and tatties at lunch with a whisky sauce etc. And all deep fried in batter for dinner from the chippy.

More than likely had to much, planning next trip already.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
20th October 2009, 01:00 AM
Worth a try is Black/White Pudding or Haggis Mash.

Lovely.

K.

happy daze john in oz
20th October 2009, 05:13 AM
Almost 4,000 persons have viewed this thread, almost twice the site membership. this must be the worlds most travelled black pudding ever. Well done Wilky, whats next?

alf corbyn
20th October 2009, 09:39 AM
hi tiger!. i don't think i would enjoy your white pudding as it would be very hard to swallow. they use sheeps intestines not sheepskins. suppose it would keep the puddings warm on a cold night though/. keep well my love. cheers. alf xx :D:D

Keith at Tregenna
22nd November 2009, 12:53 AM
Sorry for meddling: The theme should go on:

Black Pud's are alive and kicking.

Will keep in topic: More of the black / white stuff please.................. ?

Keith at Tregenna
23rd November 2009, 08:42 PM
Quick note: Please look under poetry section for many and most recent:

Black pudding tower

Ingredients

300 g black pudding sliced into 4 2 cm slices
5 large field mushrooms
4 large, very fresh eggs
100 g thick bacon cut into chunky lardons
2 thick slices of fresh white bread or 4 white muffins
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Oil
Parsley to garnish

A tribute to Lancashire and the perfect late morning brunch after a night on the tiles!

You need to use fresh eggs for poaching, ideally only a few days old.

An easy way to poach eggs is to allow them to simmer for one minute, then cover the pan and leave the eggs for ten minutes to finish cooking.

The eggs should be served as soon as they are cooked. The eggs, black pudding and bacon all need around 10 minutes cooking so start them together. While they are cooking you can prepare the mushrooms and bread so everything is ready to assemble.

Method

Heat the oven to 230 degrees (gas mark 8), heat a baking tray and add a film of olive oil, place the slices of black pudding on the tray and cook for 6 - 8 minutes until crisp on the outside and soft inside
Meanwhile boil a large pan of water, when it is boiling add the wine vinegar, stir the water and gently drop the eggs into the centre of the pan (the eggs will then cook in a neat round), poach the eggs
Remove the stalks from the mushrooms, chop the stalks, a whole mushroom and fry with the bacon until cooked, keep warm and set aside

While the eggs, bacon and black pudding are cooking you can cook the mushrooms and bread
Cook the field mushrooms face down (so the cap curves upwards)

Cut circles about the same size as the mushrooms out of the bread and either fry or toast (they taste best fried)

An easy alternative is to use white muffins, in which they should be toasted
If necessary reheat the bacon and mushrooms

Make a tower - start with the bread, then the field mushroom, black pudding and top with a poached egg
Scatter the bacon and chopped mushrooms over the dish, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Mmmmmmmmmmm ! ! !

K.

happy daze john in oz
24th November 2009, 05:21 AM
We do not get much black pudding here in Oz, there are a few places that sell it but that often means a long journey. Sunday on my travels back from a costal spot we went into a supermarket to get a bottle of soft drink. While looking for it I noticed some balck pudding in the deli. Last night we had it with our evening meal. Well I have to tell you there are black puddings, and there are balck puddings, then there was this black pudding. And may i say I think maybe that is just what it was a blacks pudding. I am sure who ever made it used well seasoned sawdust as it set like a rock. Ended up throwing half of it out for the birds, even they would not touch it.
So I may just have to take the edvice of Mortnj and go down to Frankston and get some good stuff.

wilky
29th November 2009, 02:32 PM
Not been on the site for a few weeks , your black pudding tower sounds good Keith , will have to give it a go seeing as Ive restocked my freezer from Bury market

Keith at Tregenna
29th November 2009, 11:53 PM
Guess there must be a few Christmas Black Pudding recipes out there somewhere ?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Among the sweet skin puddings was the hack pudding of the Lake Counties, a sweet haggis traditionally eaten on Christmas morning. This spicy concoction of minced beef, dried fruit, sugar and oats was probably the original Christmas Pudding.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
11th December 2009, 08:13 PM
Black pudding with parsnip mash

The combination of a rich blood sausage such as black pudding or boudin noir with sweetly nutty parsnip and apple mash is a delight. Or use your favourite spicy sausages, eg chorizo or merguez. Add some simmered red cabbage to make a heartier meal.

Ingredients
Feeds 4. Takes 30 mins.

500g black pudding
1tbsp butter
1tbsp olive or vegetable oil
Few parsley sprigs

FOR THE MASH

4 medium parsnips, around 800g
1 cooking apple
1tbsp butter
1tsp Dijon mustard
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3tbsp milk

To make the mash, peel the parsnips and slice, cutting out any woody core. Peel, quarter and core the apple, and roughly chop. Cook the parsnip and apple in simmering salted water for 20 minutes or until tender.

Drain well and mash, adding the butter, mustard and generous amounts of sea salt and pepper. Add the milk, beating with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth, creamy purée. For a very fine purée, whizz the lot in a food processor.

To cook the sausage, slice it thickly. Melt the butter and oil in a frying pan and sizzle the sausages for about three minutes on either side.

Place a big dollop of mash on each plate and arrange the sizzled blood pudding on top. Tuck in a sprig of parsley and add a blob of Dijon mustard.

Davygross
17th December 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Wilky
I'm a lover of the black pudd myself, and when you live in Sscotland , the black pudding supper is standard fare after a drink. Within the last three months I have discovered (and become addicted to) one of the finest! Can I introduce you to Charles MaCleods award winning Stornoway black pudd. Google it and get a list of retail outlets, or have it posted direct, I'm sure a connosoor like yourself wont be disappointed
Cheers Davygross :D

wilky
18th December 2009, 08:56 PM
cheers davygross will give it a try.

Keith at Tregenna
19th December 2009, 03:05 PM
May 1st is... Black Pudding Day

At least that is in Poland:

Should we adopt this day or continue to eat the Black Stuff,
whenever we can - etc.

Maybe those that post here can celebrate with a big Brekkie on:

May 1st.

http://www.polishcuisine.ehost.pl/My_Homepage_Files/Page14.html

Cheers,

Keith.

Keith at Tregenna
30th December 2009, 10:19 PM
Via all opinion not recieved and international non vote, zero response from Brussels etc. can now declare that May 1st is... Offiicialiy Black Pudding day. With outstanding response from no-one and staying democratic, my vote equals one yours zero, you lost, motion carried.

Thats the way of the EEC, Black Pud Mountain in a cafe near you soon.

Any non votes by text only, charged at £1000.00 per minute. All charges registered after yesterday incur penalties of much miore. Thats modern politics, suffer fool. No VAT ON BLACK PUD AND FREE BEER TOMMOROW. TOMMOROW NEVER COMES.......................

Keith at Tregenna
30th December 2009, 10:33 PM
Considered ban may be enforced, Black Pudding banned to the smoking garden ?

Entire BP lovers move to OZ and NZ etc for Barbi BP, or stay and fight for the black stuff internal.

Watch this space...............

Jim Egan
31st December 2009, 08:08 PM
Hi Wilky,
A very good friend and shipmate hails from Stornaway. When home in Stornaway always used to bring a few for the lads breakfast. And im afraid all agreed (Yorkys included) that it was the best ever tasted
of hand cant mind exat name of butcher who makes it,but can soon find out. Mind i have tasted them from lancashire and they are good to mate. Once down in Knaseborough in caravan park,or just outside nice place. All the best for the New Year to you and your family, Regards Jim R666795:)

Keith at Tregenna
31st December 2009, 08:19 PM
Lppking forward to my New Years Black Pud BREAKFAST:

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s1i59816

http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/pr.html#art2

And

http://deadlinescotland.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/9365-1770/

Keith at Tregenna
5th June 2010, 07:42 PM
Recent promitions and projects, include an mn postage stamp and coin of the realm, forgot all about the black stuff, mn recipe welcomed. K.

Keith at Tregenna
5th August 2010, 10:34 PM
Have revived and elongated this post myself a few times and just when I thought it had crossed the bar, someone else can take the blame. Thank you. HA HA.

SERIOUSLY, Have only come across the vegeterian version that does not include the bacon. Banana is pierced several times and cooked on the barbi and older was cooked along with potatoes etc in a bomfire. Watched a programme last night to do with rationing and we had no bananas for something like nine years.

Certain some of the gourmets on site will come up with wrapped in parma ham etc. Bannana has for a long time been associated with meat dishes around the globe, often offered as an accompaniment with curry etc. Certain a Black Pudding stuffed banana recipe will be located etc.

New twist to an old thread, interested greatly.

Thanks again K.

happy daze john in oz
6th August 2010, 05:59 AM
King prawns wrapped in bacon is quite common here and of late the supermarkets are now stocking frozen sweet potato fries as an alternative to the normal ones. Also very different but a nice change is prawns covered in mashed Avacado, dipped in batter and deep fried. But for something very different but quite tasty, find a pig farmer who is about to castrate male pigs, the testies are a great feed fried with some onions. I know it sounds like a load of old ******** but well worth a try.

Albert Bishop
6th August 2010, 08:39 AM
And to tittilate the tastebuds even more of the gourmets on this site, what about, "Tripe," deep fried in batter, or maybe boiled in milk. Or how about the Creme de la Creme, Pickled tripe, on the bar counter, Sunday lunch time? along with the pickled onions and raw pieces of black pudding. We really know how to live up in this bit. Cheers, Albi.

Peter (Pat) Baker
6th August 2010, 10:57 AM
Wilky,
I have not read all the postings, so forgive me if somebody has asked this question before.
At the start of this thead you mentioned that you had just had a few pints of "peroni".
What the h..l is peroni. What have I been missing?
Pat Baker.

Keith at Tregenna
6th August 2010, 05:45 PM
Peroni Brewery (Birra Peroni), is a brewing company, founded in Vigevano in Lombardia, Italy in 1846. It is now based in Rome and is owned by SABMiller.

The company's main brand is Peroni, a 4.7% abv pale lager, while its premium lager is Nastro Azzurro at 5.1% abv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroni_Brewery

ALSO: You can’t get much more Scottish than Haggis, can you? Well, despite its rich tradition in Scottish culture - from being celebrated by Rabbie Burns in his poem Address To A Haggis and the traditional dram that goes with it – it seems it’s not actually that Scottish.

According to research an early recipe for the dish was found in a book. The book’s name? The English Huswife.

K.

wilky
6th August 2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Pat , Keith as hit the nail on the head it is indeed an Italian lager, they have it on drought at one of my local watering holes. Unfortunately since I started this thread I`ve had to go on the wagon. Its bloody hard after a lifetime of drinking of which I served my drinking apprenticeship in the Merch. Its amazing this thread is still on the go, not bad for a humble black pudding. Thankyou one and all for contributing.

Peter (Pat) Baker
7th August 2010, 02:46 PM
Wilky and Keith,
many thanks for your replies re. Peroni.
As it is lager I am not missing much as I cannot abide lager.
Wilky I am sorry to hear that you have been placed, forcibly, on the wagon.
Hope that things quickly improve for you and enable you to return to the bar.
Best regards to you both.
Cheers,
Pat Baker.

john sutton
8th August 2010, 08:02 AM
the poem was a monologue by stanley holloway .many years ago i had the record which was apparently a good seller.also had the laughing policeman.
with regard to black puddings.the best i,ve tasted are burgos puddings in spain.they are made using rice as a filler.
john sutton

happy daze john in oz
9th August 2010, 06:20 AM
For Jim and Wilky, no more drinking? Mates you are I hope well otherwise, but to stop drinking is something I just cannot imagine, but hang in there hopefully things will improve for you.

Keith at Tregenna
5th September 2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry but have not updated in near a year:

Surprised the Scottish have taken the Humble Haggis a step further!

A delicious haggis pizza is made by Cosmo Pizza. This pizzeria style haggis pizza combines the great tastes of Scotland and Italy from a company who have been Italian cooking in Scotland for over 50 years. The combination of mozzarella cheeses, tomatoes and haggis gives a succulent light taste and only takes 8 to 14 minutes to cook depending on the oven temperature. Scottishrecipes purchase haggis pizza from Tesco and more information can be found at Cosmo - Home (http://www.cosmoproducts.com) who are based in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, Scotland.

Black pud Pizza next?

K.

David Williams
6th September 2011, 01:59 PM
Hi Wilky.
For me food must look nice,smell nice,but black pudding does nothing
for me.But with the Wife,its a different story,almost lives on the stuff.

Dave Williams

Captain Kong
6th September 2011, 02:12 PM
You are right Wilky,
Chadwicks on Bury Market make the finest and best and tastiest Blackpuddings in the whole wide world. Been having them for years. Had some only last week
Fan bloody tastic.
Cheers
Brian.

happy daze john in oz
7th September 2011, 06:42 AM
Brian mate, from what you tell us I would be very careful about any black pudding from your part of the world. It may be just what it says it is!

Eddie Grant
8th September 2011, 05:44 PM
Hi, I too am a black pudding addict and never had a bad one! they all taste good to me. I too was also of the opinion pigs blood was used . Spain yes Morcilla" black pud is a great delicacy i allways eat it when on holliday there i think it keeps my cholesterol up" anyway making 80 next week so its done me no harm. Thanks shipmates for all the comments. Long live the black puds Eddie Grant.

Keith at Tregenna
8th September 2011, 08:39 PM
Must add few Brits have the full breakfast every day.

Most days could be OJ, Cereal and toast, but as a treat the full English, Welsh, Irish or Scot is a must, esp when at a B and B or Hotel. At home it tends to be more a weekend thing. More often than not I settle for a coffee and then a rush to work.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 09:40 PM
My wifey brings it down from Wallsend, I consume much but freeze the rest that it lasts to her next visit home. I do suffer the black stuff from the Super market when stocks run low.

K.

Les Woodard
15th July 2012, 10:41 PM
Keith I had to have a chuckle of that post. Sounded like your wife only comes home periodically to stock up your black pudding store. Understand that you are talking about her going back to her old home but could not resist pointing this one out as it sounds like you have the most ideal arrangment that many on site would love.

Les Woodard
15th July 2012, 11:04 PM
Keith I hope you do not think I was being serious mate. Just got to love the english language the way it can be interpretated. Was ment as a light hearted comment.

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=Les Woodard;95528]Keith I had to have a chuckle of that post. Sounded like your wife only comes home periodically to stock up your black pudding store. QUOTE]

my wifey goes home periodically to see her mam and dad and bro: But I alliow this that I can stock up on my black pudding and more:

I get the works, pease pudding and more.

k.

Keith at Tregenna
15th July 2012, 11:21 PM
Cut a long story short: If you ever go across the sea to Ireland - you get the white pudding to, and an Irish breakfast should have both white and black pud - YUMMY ! Certainly love Klonnakilty PUDDINGS. LOOKING FORWARD TO MY BIG FAT PUDDING in Ireland again soon and my favourite food. Don't say anything to the trouble and strife. (Cockney for wife)

K.

robpage
16th July 2012, 04:16 PM
Just returned from my native Derbyshire with a few , they tend to be small rings only 6" ( 150mm ) long when opened out and quite peppery . When nostalgia takes over and I need soul food the Bury Black Pudding company ones are available by post Online Shop - Bury Black Puddings - Online Shop - by The Bury Black Pudding Company (http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/catalogue.php) and our local Waitrose stocks them . I wondered if there was a Bolton Black Pudding , but I expect there is a shortage of Halal Pigs blood to make it with .

Captain Kong
16th July 2012, 04:53 PM
Hi Rob, Bury Black puddings are the Best in the world. I go onto Bury Market quite often and always buy them fresh from the pan, hot, with a little mustard, great. I didnt know you could get them on line.
The Bolton ones are Halal Pork, I dont eat Halal so I drive to Bury about six miles away.
Cheers
Brian

robpage
16th July 2012, 09:33 PM
I have bought on line but Waitrose aalways has them , like them best cold , with crusty bread too much salt , and mustard , not had hot fresh boiled ones for years ,. the markets in Derby used to do cartons of mushy minted peas too hot and warming . some things you don't get down here are Savory ducks , potted meat , proper scratchings , polony , black pudding scotch eggs , baked black pudding , brawn , tomato sausages and decent bitter .

Keith at Tregenna
17th July 2012, 06:27 PM
Sign of the times, that went.

Hang on dearly to my BP and savoury freezer.

Get the best when wifey returns from up North.

Keep a good supply.

The Lords in the manors kept good cellars for fancy wines and I now keep a freezer for my Black Stuff.

Priceless !

K.

Keith at Tregenna
17th January 2013, 01:44 AM
The Goodies - Black Pudding Bertha:

LINK: The Goodies - Black Pudding Bertha - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtOrd4XbzfE)

Keith at Tregenna
6th May 2013, 04:21 PM
The full Irish has to be the best brekkie: had both black and white clonakilty puds today, off for a Guiness. K

Tony Geeves
6th May 2013, 05:03 PM
I could not find a decent B.P. here in Bracknell, but went a couple of days ago to Macro cash and carry and bought a huge one for £2.49. I did not hold much faith in it, but was pleasently suprised when I gave it a go for breckies. There is still enough to feed an army on, and would recommend it any one. I and the better half also love Knaresborough, and stay there on our way through the Yorkshire Dales. Regards, T.G.

cappy
6th May 2013, 05:21 PM
cant beat a good black pudding I now live in a village nr thirsk its a nice place to live but im in shields most weekends regards cappy

Keith at Tregenna
6th May 2013, 05:36 PM
I could not find a decent B.P. here in Bracknell: Regards, T.G.

Had not realised you were Bracknell way, on my patch and not that far away.

RE: The Black stuff, Tesco normally have the Clonakilty.

Looking for a new source, thanks for the info on Macro.

There was a small bit of confusion at a branch of Dunnes this morning. When I was ready to pay
for my groceries, the cashier said, "Strip down, facing me."

Despite, making a mental note to write to the head office about Customer relations and the
way in which I was spoken to at the till, I complied with her instructions.

When the hysterical shrieking finally subsided, I found out that she was referring to my........ credit card.

I have been asked to shop elsewhere in the future. They really need to make their instructions to
visitors a little simpler and clearer!

Hence, will have to rather than import some of the best, just go to Tesco at home. (Will give Macro, a go)

Thanks,

K.

Keith at Tregenna
6th May 2013, 06:04 PM
cant beat a good black pudding I now live in a village nr thirsk its a nice place to live but im in shields most weekends regards cappy

Her indoors is from Wallsend and reccomends E Hoult Ltd, Tynemouth Road. Celebrated locally. Usually stock up and consume prior to looking elswhere. But if Ryan Air allow me smuggling, will get some back.

Thirsk needs a visit, sure it is York way and generally miss it on the way to NC, went to South Sheilds a few weeks ago for the first time. Loved it. Minchella's ice cream in near mid winter is the biz. North Sheilds fishquay is well reccomended and chips at Marshalls, Tynemouth - taken away, eaten in the car with a view of the priory is champion.

K.

robpage
6th May 2013, 08:12 PM
Waitrose

<fieldset style="border: 0px; margin: 16px 0px 0px; padding: 0px;">Address: Doncastle Rd, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 8YA

They Stock Bury Black Puddings </fieldset>

As for South Shields was there a Pork Butcher in Fowler Street , Dicksons , they did a good B;lack Pudding a lifetime ago

Keith at Tregenna
6th May 2013, 10:43 PM
Always was a good spread at:

Holly House is an elegant charming country house, with a beautiful
garden, offering exceptional bed and breakfast accommodation in a
warm and relaxing atmosphere. It is located in Bracknell in the heart
of the Thames Valley and is easily accessible from the M3 and M4
motorways. Offering excellent service and high levels of comfort,
Holly House is peaceful yet conveniently located - the perfect choice
for visitors to the area.

LINK 1: Holly House Bracknell - Menu (http://www.hollyhousebracknell.co.uk/menu/)

LINK 2: Holly House Bracknell (http://www.hollyhousebracknell.co.uk/)

robpage
6th May 2013, 11:22 PM
They use a Scottish black pudding Keith , they tend to be drier and have less free fat , I prefer Howarths of Belper Derbyshire , or Bury Black Pudding , free fat and succulent with less groats . Also a lot of the Scottish ones I have come across have plastic skin as opposed to Ox casings

Keith at Tregenna
6th May 2013, 11:55 PM
Personal Choice Whatever:

NO WORRIES:

If we all thought and did the same, would be a boring world.

Holly House is just a near local tried and tested gaff, more for the quality and ambience of several Bracknell stays /stop overs.

Day to day have a stock of Clonakilty and a Wallsend major stock, will look at Macro now for an alternative: (All thanks to Tony, for best advice thus far) But, with our stock at home, only needed in emergencies. And when you have the best why seek the inferiors, lest you run out.

Wish I could kip, long day and an early start but looking forward to the smoked salmon that really makes the full brekkie.

BP ROCKS:

Nos Da.

K.

happy daze john in oz
7th May 2013, 06:07 AM
Not something you see much of here in Oz now, and when you do they tend to be very processed. Not like the ones I knew as a young lad. But without a doubt the very best black and white are from Ireland.

gray_marian
8th May 2013, 03:29 PM
Having just read Wilkie's post I shall look out for Chadwicks black pudding when I travel down south next. Three Scottish puddings that I can recommend are: Stornoway, strong flavour. Ramsey's, medium and Simon Howie's being a little lighter. Had that for dinner yesterday. Pudding roasted with peppers, onions ,mushrooms, garlic [whole] aubergine and potato chopped small, and vine tomato. Drizzle some olive oil, springle sea salt & black pepper.Put into hot oven for 5mins then turn down to gas mark 7 for another 30mins. Turnover once halfway through cooking to coat.

Keith at Tregenna
8th May 2013, 03:51 PM
Never, say never:

Actually turning down the full Irish, jealous of the others consuming the Black and the white BP. But, settling for smoked salmon amd poaced eggs, right now.

Will be back on the good stuff ASAP, just can no longer do it every day. (Inc: the pud).

K.

Keith at Tregenna
8th May 2013, 05:56 PM
Meant poached egg :

Sorry.

K.

Tiger1
9th May 2013, 03:23 PM
Hi Wilkie, if you still look in like I do. You must be really proud of this Post (22 pages) you started back in 2009.
I have happy memories of those days. Lots of lovely Banter with lovely Lads some now having 'Crossed the Bar'
I remember getting a box of Bury Black Puddings from a good friend on here (Young Jim) and sharing
them with my family. We enjoyed them but being me Tiger 1 I judged them 8 /10 against my lovely Scottish Haggis
which I gave 10/10 and still do.
Happy Days and memories I hold very dear of my time on this site.
I have tried other black puddings and against them I would give the Bury ones 9/10 the others maybe 7/10 so Bury Black Puddings
hold the record there but still not as good as my Scottish Haggis
i am to have a couple of girlfriends over for lunch next week and what is on the Menu???
Yes Haggis Neeps and Tatties.
Thanks again Wilkie for the post.
Love and hugs
Tiger 1 (Jean):thumb_ship2:

Keith at Tregenna
9th May 2013, 03:29 PM
i am to have a couple of girlfriends over for lunch next week and what is on the Menu???
Yes Haggis Neeps and Tatties.
Tiger 1 (Jean):thumb_ship2:

Hopefully with a wee scottish whisky sauce or two ?

Take care darling,

K.

wilky
10th May 2013, 06:49 PM
Thankyou for those kind words Jean . I just happen to be making one of my rare visits to the site and I am gobsmacked to see this thread is still on the go. Guess what, I have a Bury black pud in the fridge for my dinner tomorrow. Dont tell Gulliver though he might come round and blow it up !!!!!!!!!!:):)

Keith at Tregenna
10th May 2013, 11:11 PM
Thankyou for those kind words Jean . I just happen to be making one of my rare visits to the site and I am gobsmacked to see this thread is still on the go. Guess what, I have a Bury black pud in the fridge for my dinner tomorrow. Dont tell Gulliver though he might come round and blow it up !!!!!!!!!!:):)

Suprised, can no longer consume it every day. Had a break and stocked up with the Irish. So pleased it is the week end: Glad your looking in wilky, hope you are well. K.

happy daze john in oz
11th May 2013, 07:10 AM
Wily mate, good to see you are still around. Just goes to show how good posts last.

Gulliver
11th May 2013, 09:01 AM

As if !...

Wilky mate ,so nice to hear you're back aboard and Ok.
All the Best

Gulliver

1273412734(Indestructible bloody things,them black puddings....)

Keith Tindell
11th May 2013, 09:46 AM
Only thing worse than black pudding is chidlings, and i am not sure i have even spelt it right. Guys at work used to have to clean then before eating, i gladly donated my share, KT

Tiger1
11th May 2013, 09:52 AM
Hi darling, nice to see you like Me still look in. I have two fine haggis in my freezer if you fancy Haggis Neeps and Tatties,
I know you and your good Lady wife do not live far, so you would be most welcome to share them.
Take care and don't let Davey blow your Black Pudding up hahahaha we know he doesn't like the!!!:cool:
Love and Hugs.
Jean ( Tiger 1) xxxx :thumb_ship2:

Tiger1
11th May 2013, 10:06 AM
Hi darling,

The whiskey flame will shine brightly on it when I light the haggis before we eat it.
Hope you are keeping well and thank you for always replying to my Posts as I
know I am not always 'flavour of the Month with others on this site, maybe being a Lady hahahaha in a 'Mans World'. Hope I have not trod on any toes by joining in today
sorry if I have, but I was married for 48 years to a lovely ex-Merchant Navy Man who told Me all about his adventures at Sea,
and I did love all the bantering on this site in the old days.
Well off on my cruising again to other sites.:thumb_ship2:
You take care
Love and Hugs
Jean (Tiger 1)xxxxxxxx

Colin Pook
11th May 2013, 02:41 PM
Before I got married and settled down in W. Wales, I had never even heard of 'black pudding', let alone eaten it, till the day my bride served it up for dinner. How can any civilised person scoff such rubbish? Being a proud Englishman, my staple diet was/is 'pussers peas, mash tato and pork bangers --luvverly grub!

The only black pudding I enjoyed came from the 'Captains Cabin' in Kingston---I enjoyed it, but I didn't EAT it

Colin

Keith at Tregenna
11th May 2013, 09:03 PM
Only thing worse than black pudding is chidlings, and i am not sure i have even spelt it right. Guys at work used to have to clean then before eating, i gladly donated my share, KT

Chitterling is a Middle English (1000-1400 AD) word for the small intestines of pigs, especially as they are fried or steamed for food. A 1743 English cookery book The Lady's Companion: or, An Infallible Guide to the Fair Sex contained a recipe for 'Calf's Chitterlings', and so the term 'chitterling' could be applied to any intestine, not just those of pigs. The recipe explained the use of calf's intestines in the recipe, which was similar to black pudding (the intestines were stuffed) with the comment that "these sort of ... puddings must be made in summer, when hogs are seldom killed." This recipe was repeated by the English cookery writer Hannah Glasse in her 1784 cookery book Art of Cookery.

But for all that, not my cup of tea.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
11th May 2013, 11:02 PM
Hi darling,

The whiskey flame will shine brightly on it when I light the haggis before we eat it.

Jean (Tiger 1)xxxxxxxx

You take care also, Love and Hugs back.

Keep on popping in.

K XXX

john sutton
12th May 2013, 06:55 AM
chitterlings are enjoyed by people in the deep south of US.mainly poor coloured people .Usually deep fried(chittelings not the people)

I once asked my butcher why he got into the trade and said he always wanted to see his name in lights(think about it)
john sutton

Ivan Cloherty
12th May 2013, 07:37 AM
chitterlings are enjoyed by people in the deep south of US.mainly poor coloured people .Usually deep fried(chittelings not the people)

I once asked my butcher why he got into the trade and said he always wanted to see his name in lights(think about it)
john sutton

Used to get those lights for the cat during the war

wilky
12th May 2013, 06:52 PM
As if !...

Wilky mate ,so nice to hear you're back aboard and Ok.
All the Best

Gulliver

1273412734(Indestructible bloody things,them black puddings....)

Thanks gulliver , glad I managed to eat it before the BOOM BOOM came. Im thinking these black things are indistructable. All the best to you and all my other shipmates on site. Hope everyone is keeping well .

Keith at Tregenna
12th May 2013, 08:31 PM
Black Pudding is pretty easy to get hold of in Limerick. I was looking for one that would break up easy. This more or less ruled out a butchers as butcher-made black pudding tends to be pretty indestructible - probably because most people "shallow" fry it as part of the morning-after-breakfast ritual. Shaws Black Pudding has no artificial additive or preservatives, and is a local prdouct. I didn't get to test how easily it broke up in the supermarket and my constant poking at and bending of different black puddings was drawing attention. So I decided to take a chance and luckily it broke up nicely. I added some Spanish Paprika and Black Pepper to my broken up Black Pudding - Haggis is spicier than Black Pudding so I wanted to knock that up a notch as well.

K.

robpage
12th May 2013, 08:41 PM
I use a Butcher in Derbyshire called Howarths of Belper , They do a baked as well as Boiled Black pudding , and a black pudding Scotch Egg , which is delicious , at the Catton Hll Gamekeepers fair last year we bought black pudding flavoured pork sausage , they were brilliant too

Keith at Tregenna
12th May 2013, 11:10 PM
Haggis and Irn-Bru:

British soldiers show the Americans how it's done as they host Highland Games in Afghanistan (all washed down with haggis and Irn-Bru)

Morale boost for forces after recent deaths of three comrades:

Read more: British soldiers show the Americans how it's done as they host Highland Games in Afghanistan (all washed down with haggis and Irn-Bru) | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323323/British-soldiers-Americans-host-Highland-Games-Afghanistan-washed-haggis-Irn-Bru.html#ixzz2T7f6oY4Q)

john sutton
13th May 2013, 06:43 AM
here in spain there are many diferent types of black pudding(morcilla).Each area has its own style and they vary greatly.My favourite is Morcilla de Burgos made in the city of Burgos.Its not too garlicy and has rice in the filling.Nice served with apple sauce

john sutton

Keith at Tregenna
15th May 2014, 09:52 PM
Got a like for: Epic journey across Europe ?

Link took me back to Black Pudding, not certain why, but was ever a great thread.

K.

happy daze john in oz
16th May 2014, 06:12 AM
No offence but I think our dear friend Keith has forgotten to take his pill again!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith at Tregenna
16th May 2014, 04:30 PM
Just wondered why when checking out the post I had received a like for, the link went to the BP thread.

15th May 2014

10:40 PM - clicked Thanks for this post: Epic journey across Europe by Keith at Tregenna

Pos Doc may take a look.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
16th May 2014, 10:00 PM
No offence but I think our dear friend Keith has forgotten to take his pill again!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought all strange ?

Weird even, hope to get an explanation soon ?

K.

Red Lead Ted
18th May 2014, 09:31 PM
Its probably because I have just consumed a few pints of peroni and am now into my last glass of a nice South African shiraz that I am writing this but here goes. Being a Lancastrian, black puddings where always there and I must admit ..I like them. I now live in Knaresborough in North Yorkshire. I have a mate who is also a lancastrian and was born in Bury. We where talking in the pub one day about black puddings and how we all enjoyed them. Thats when my mate from Bury, says you havent tasted black puddings till you,ve tried a Chadwicks black pudding from Bury market. Well that did it, the taste buds where flowing. I have just had a couple of weeks off work and last week three of us got into my car and headed across the pennines in search of the best black pudding in the world . We arrived at Bury market and went in search of Chadwicks, only to find their stall to be closed due to holidays. All was not lost there was a sign saying our black puddings are being sold two stalls down . We sampled a boiled one with English mustard , very nice . I bought a dozen to take home. Its probably the best black pudding I`ve had so far.I wonder if theres any better ones out there somewhere, I need your help. I probably wont get any replies to this thread but I would love to hear from anybody who likes black puddings and which ones you think are the best . Heres to black pudding lovers . ps Den do you think you could put them on the menue !

Hi Wilky hope all is well in your world mate. You are quite correct them black puddings sold in Bury market have won national awards for a number of years I know quite a few scousers who travel to Bury market just for the black puds themselves. There taste is unique Terry.;)

Keith at Tregenna
18th May 2014, 09:51 PM
Clonakilty Black and white puddings:

http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/

The difference similar to: Bells v Jamesons, dark v Guiness etc.

K.

John Callon
18th May 2014, 10:39 PM
Somewhere on this thread I have mentioned the black puddings sold by the only Butchers shop in the village of Kippen, Stirlingshire. Until you have tried the ones they make on the premises you have never had black pudding, and I include Bury Black Pudding in that. Being a Scouser I always thought that the ones from Bury were to die for, but these surpass even those. When you go into the shop they always ask you do you want Stornaway puddings or our own. The Stornaway ones I find a bit on the sweet side, so give me Kippen any time.
Regards
John

Keith at Tregenna
18th May 2014, 11:12 PM
Deep Fried in batter seemed the norm last time that way.

K.

robpage
19th May 2014, 03:59 AM
Having tried secveral French ones where the filler can have onion , red wine , and other things added , and the Scottish and Irish varieties , I prefer the English ones with the small cubes of fat and a more peppery flavour , My personal favourite is the George Stafford ( http://www.georgestafford.co.uk/) slightly browner external colour

Tiger1
19th May 2014, 03:10 PM
Hi Wilkie hope all is well with you. Thanks for a really good post which is still going strong. I did get a box of the real Bury Black Puddings from the late Young Jim. And Yes I marked them against my Real Scottish Haggis. Result Bury Black Puddings 8 out of 10, Real Scottish Haggis Yes! A great Big 10 out of 10 hahahaha. :eek: It caused quite a laugh, they were great Days of lovely Banter and Wilkie 'thanks' your Post was one of the Best which I really enjoyed; as laughter makes the World a better place. Thanks again Darling.

Love and Hugs
Tiger 1 xxx:thumb_ship2:

EIFION
19th May 2014, 03:26 PM
Try the ones made of goose blood, they are the food of the gods . But all are yummy

Keith at Tregenna
19th May 2014, 10:48 PM
It's funny how each country claims a sort of ownership over black pudding. The Italians claim that they make the best black pudding, as do the Irish, and the Welsh. Featured on 'Food Heroes', Austen of Border County Foods makes classic Cumberland sausages from rare breed pork. He also makes black pudding with fresh blood, instead of the dried powdered type normally used, and he says that this makes a huge difference to the flavour. Available by mail order. K.

happy daze john in oz
20th May 2014, 06:04 AM
In Ireland they also have White Pudding but have no idea what it is made from. Maybe they bleach the pigs blood?

Ivan Cloherty
20th May 2014, 06:42 AM
Funny how a post on 'Black Puddings' gets 13800 hits, 242 replies and 25 pages and yet nautical subjects will be lucky if they achieve 2/300 hits and 20 replies, just an observation.

Keith at Tregenna
20th May 2014, 08:13 PM
In Ireland they also have White Pudding but have no idea what it is made from. Maybe they bleach the pigs blood?

White pudding is very similar to black pudding, but does not include blood. Consequently, it consists of pork meat and fat, suet, bread, and oatmeal formed into the shape of a large sausage. Earlier versions (pre-1990) often had sheep's brain added as a binding agent. A similar pudding, known as Hog's pudding, is made in Somerset, Cornwall and Devon though it is much spicier than white pudding, as it contains black pepper, cumin, basil, and garlic.

In Scotland, white pudding can also be known as mealy pudding and does not always take the form of a sausage. It consists of suet, oatmeal, onions, and spices. Some versions of Scottish white pudding are suitable for vegans, in that they contain no animal fat, vegetable fat being used instead.

K.

robpage
20th May 2014, 09:28 PM
Re #244 maybe some old seafarers. Just like a bit of sausage in the morning ,

Ivan Cloherty
20th May 2014, 09:54 PM
Re #244 maybe some old seafarers. Just like a bit of sausage in the morning ,

I think that comes under another forum, think it's UCL

Keith at Tregenna
21st May 2014, 12:24 AM
Think the BP thread is neither racist or poltical, neutral to the knockers of all and though not strictly nautical welcome. Evident in itself and being. K.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Funny how a post on 'Black Puddings' gets 13800 hits, 242 replies and 25 pages and yet nautical subjects will be lucky if they achieve 2/300 hits and 20 replies, just an observation.

We all have our bugs to bear, going now with the flow, the usual suspects made all go this way, moaning now, should have listened, K.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Fail to believe at the lack of BP at sea ?

K.

happy daze john in oz
21st May 2014, 05:54 AM
I think that comes under another forum, think it's UCL

Yes but do not recall seeing any 'balck pudding' on there.

Tiger1
21st May 2014, 09:52 AM
:cool:244 Hi Ivan I see you joined this site at the same time as me. In those days there were lots of interesting topics and lots of banter and especially lots of laughter. Myself I believe in 2010 due to something called PC which I do not fully understand (maybe someone can explain it) the laughter went out for me and a few others. Black Pudding versus Haggis was a great Post for which I personally have fond memories; similar posts seemed to disappear, so I decided to stop and just browse and maybe join in if I found it funny or interesting. Sorry as never having been at sea I only know of that life from my Husband Ken who told me of his experiences so cannot join in on anything nautical. I believe a lot in laughter making people forget their troubles and making the world a happier place. Hope this helps you understand the difference.
Take care.
God Bless
Tiger 1:thumb_ship2: