PDA

View Full Version : A few Ships in Sydney over easter

Doc Vernon
28th March 2016, 06:37 AM
Here are a few Ships that I took Pics of over my Easter Weekend in Sydney!
All look the same though don't they!
Except for the Hong Kong one!
Cheers

Doc Vernon
28th March 2016, 06:41 AM

19939 Could be the back of an Aircraft! But No! Its the huge Fin on the Ship,

Richard Quartermaine
28th March 2016, 10:43 AM
Well done Vernon. My daughter, her husband and two of their three boys (boys! they're in their 30s) were on the Carnival Legend New Caledonia cruise earlier this month. Of your first two pictures is the second (full length) pic also the 'Legend'. I'd like to send copies to them.
Cheers , Richard

john walker
28th March 2016, 11:09 AM
I sailed on a few Hong Kong Flagged vessels none of them had their names in both English and Cantonese/Mandarin is this a new thing or is it something that I have never noticed in the past?

j.sabourn
28th March 2016, 11:19 AM
Have seen names in Chinese and English before on some ships John. Wonder if it may be that today that HK is back under China and no longer a British Protectorate may have something to do with it. Good question though. Cheers JS

john walker
28th March 2016, 12:33 PM
Have seen names in Chinese and English before on some ships John. Wonder if it may be that today that HK is back under China and no longer a British Protectorate may have something to do with it. Good question though. Cheers JS

I think you are probably right about the HK post hand over registrations. This leads me to another question if Jardine's, Swire's and all those other old HK companies are still going in shipping are they doing the same on any new tonnage that they own?

john walker
28th March 2016, 03:42 PM
It gets worse (It's your fault Vernon) why on earth has the HK ship got an IMO number on it's a**e end? The shipping world is going to wrack and ruin!!!

Ivan Cloherty
28th March 2016, 03:57 PM
It gets worse (It's your fault Vernon) why on earth has the HK ship got an IMO number on it's a**e end? The shipping world is going to wrack and ruin!!!

John, I think it is now compulsory for every ship, regardless of flag or port of registry to have an IMO number, without it they cannot get Classification, Customs Clearance, Port Entry etc etc and it is a way of identifying wayward vessels in traffic control areas

Doc Vernon
28th March 2016, 05:52 PM
Well done Vernon.--Cheers , Richard

Hello Richard
Yes indeed it is my Friend!
Cheers

Doc Vernon
28th March 2016, 07:37 PM
A lovely Ferry Ride back to Sydney from Manly on Sunday!
That's the Heads you see in the Distance (Video),where all the Liners etc come in from near and far!
Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJdo9GQp5w&feature=youtu.be

Sydney Harbour Bridge

Sydney Opera House

Seaplane about to land at Manly

Manly Fast Ferry

On Mountains Train at Central Station awaiting departure back home!

Doc Vernon
28th March 2016, 08:14 PM
YININMADYEMI Thou didst let fall is a significant new artwork by Aboriginal artist Tony Albert to acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men and women who served in the nation’s military.

19938 Hyde Park South

Richard Quartermaine
28th March 2016, 11:03 PM
Thanks for your email Vernon and these pictures of my very changed Olde Home Town. Estelle and the Gang will love them too and remember their voyage to warm Nouvelles-CalÚdonie as winter is on the horizon.
Cheers, Richard

Des Taff Jenkins
29th March 2016, 03:54 AM
Hi Vernon.
Thanks for those shots of ships in Sydney, ah memories. Next time call into the old South Steyne on Darling Harbour and see my old mate Brian McDermott he runs a good ship,nice meals at reasonable cost, at least he did when I worked there 14 years ago.
One thing I wouldn't be volunteering for a job and finish painting the name on any of those ships.
cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
29th March 2016, 05:10 AM
Sydney harbopur with the coat hanger and opera house is one of a few ports that are interesting to sail to or from. Cape Town with the mountain in the background, Rio with the Christ, Hong Kong at night are also ports that look good when sailing.

Ivan Cloherty
29th March 2016, 07:45 AM
Sydney harbopur with the coat hanger and opera house is one of a few ports that are interesting to sail to or from. Cape Town with the mountain in the background, Rio with the Christ, Hong Kong at night are also ports that look good when sailing.

Mostly because you were broke John and could start building up a surplus to pay off with!

Captain Kong
29th March 2016, 08:42 AM
Some beautiful harbours here, from my last trip a few weeks ago.
Hong Kong at night, Bali, Moorea, Auckland and Sydney, Vernon and me,
Brian

Richard Quartermaine
29th March 2016, 10:58 AM
Seventy years ago next January I left my home in Sydney on my first trip to sea. Here is the MV Lowlander in Sydney prior to docking in Newcastle NSW (Where I walked up her gangway with a letter from the Sydney Port Line office) and set off around the World with the next port of call being Pape'ÚtÚ, Tahiti. How different it was then as you will see from the photos of that time to what Brian and Vernon have kindly posted above.
A photo I also took a couple of years later when arriving in Sydney Harbour on the Adelaide Steamship vessel MV Manunda.
Pictures 1. Wharf at Pape'ÚtÚ 2. Crew members MV Lowlander 3. Sydney Harbour 1948 4. MV Lowlander at Sydney (no skyscrapers behind her) 5. My Certificate of Discharge before I got my British discharge Book.
Richard

cappy
29th March 2016, 12:34 PM
Seventy years ago next January.
Richard###happy days long gone richard ......regards cappy

happy daze john in oz
30th March 2016, 05:30 AM
###happy days long gone richard ......regards cappy

Or in Mary's case hoppy days long gone.

Richard Quartermaine
30th March 2016, 10:33 AM
Cappy. Those memories seem to get clearer and the latest dimmer. I am glad I took these photos and got interested in developing my own to keep at it. The Lowlander carried 24 passengers and they were all Aussie war brides going to New York. Here is the Crossing the Line ceremony near the Galapagos Islands.
Richard