PDA

View Full Version : Is this for you on your next cruise?

John Arton
11th March 2016, 08:40 AM
Methinks this beast is a bit too big.
World's Biggest Cruise Liner Takes To Sea (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/worlds-biggest-cruise-liner-takes-to-sea/ar-AAgD5Vu?ocid=spartandhp)
rgds
JA
p.s. anyone been watching "The Cruise" on ITV, all about cruising on the Royal Princess, seems most of the Officers are British.
Latest episode I watched showed it going right into the centre of Stockholm and featured the bridge team going through the planned route, very tricky so the program said, with narrow channels etc. Captain sweating as they manoeuvred within 20 metres of the shore, bless them.
No mention of the assistance provided by two specially trained Stockholm harbour pilots beyond a quick look at them boarding.

Ivan Cloherty
11th March 2016, 09:19 AM
What's a pilot? is it those three guys who trained on a simulator for a year to assist the Captain, look on the bright side............they didn't call it a boat!

Captain Kong
11th March 2016, 10:24 AM
On the AMSTERDAM I have just come off after two months , she had a British Captain and half of the Officers were all British, one is from Fleetwood and drinks in the same pub as me. . The Cadets were two Brits and two Dutch.
Holland America seem to be a good company to work for Mates and Masters get Three months on and three months off, the Cadets work Four months on and two months off.
They are a handy size ship around 1,000 passengers. 60,000 tons.
There is no way I would sail on those Big Ships.
That ship has 7,450 people on board. Can you imagine the panic and death toll if any kind of disaster happens.
Brian

Ivan Cloherty
11th March 2016, 10:51 AM
There is no way I would sail on those Big Ships.
That ship has 7,450 people on board. Can you imagine the panic and death toll if any kind of disaster happens.
Brian

My thoughts exactly Brian, from what I've seen of cruise passengers would say that 80% are not the most agile around, by the time they got to the boats she would be well under. You can design a ship to be the safest thing afloat, but you cannot design safe passengers. They have trouble getting on and off a bus around here!

Richard Quartermaine
11th March 2016, 11:35 AM
The best non crew sea time I had was with Margaret and the two kids aged 6 and 7 on the 12 passenger Straat Chatham Singapore to Fiji along the Indonesian island chain(The Captain was my friend and neighbor in Singapore) and Back from Sydney to Singapore via Fremantle and Sunda Strait on sister ship Straat Cumberland. We were the only passengers. No bar bills, no second sittings, no child minding. Fantastic!!
Richard

Frederick Lacey
11th March 2016, 12:35 PM
Harmony of the Seas.....Boat, Ship, Liner etc ?

To me it looks like a block of flats in the east end of London. !!!!! F.

john sutton
11th March 2016, 05:54 PM
On the AMSTERDAM I have just come off after two months--BrianI think that most ex-seafarers would agree with you and I canimagine the mealtime rush. looks like it could be a floating butlins

Rodney Mills
11th March 2016, 07:10 PM
I studied the picture of this aptly described block of flats. If you bought a weeks cruise and paid for an inboard cabin, the only place you could be out in the fresh air and see the sea would be around the swimming pools on the top deck. Most of that top deck is taken up with smoke stack, swimming pools, and restaurants etc.. Not for those with claustrophobia...or me!

Captain Kong
11th March 2016, 08:15 PM
The best use for those `Wotsits of the Seas` is to take them to Syria and anchor off, fill them with Refugees until the war is over.
It would be cheaper to do that than to invite them into our country and pay them to stay on Benefits,
Brian.

John Callon
12th March 2016, 12:10 AM
Not for me I am afraid. Having completed 7 world cruises each one lasting 103 days approx. during my time at sea, these ships have no appeal for me. However each to his own - my daughter and family love going on cruises of the Medi etc. We are off to the States in August for the maximum time allowed these days on a tourist visa i.e. 3 months. We shall be based in New York and plan to visit DC, a city I have never been to but my partner worked there for a number of years. Also planning to drive through New England in the fall to Nova Scotia. Will also meet up with my Grandson who will be starting at Montclaire Uni in New Jersey for a 12month placement from Newcastle University. So all in all plenty to look forward to.
Regards
John C.

Captain Kong
12th March 2016, 08:29 AM
We love cruising, I would do nothing else for a vacation, but we chose our trips and ships carefully.
Small ships are best, Holland America are the best for the size and Itineraries
I would Never go to the Med ports. In port every day is crazy. You pay for the facilities' of the ship and and go ashore everyday spending money, what a waste. I like several days at sea, a nice routine and using the ship that you have paid for.
.We just did the Half world cruise on Amsterdam, 60 days,it was great, plenty of sea time. and sailing to the Pacific islands is pure paradise. Very safe ashore, no one gets mugged, the people are so welcoming, It must be Awful going ashore in European ports these days. Full of Europeans and refugees, what a nightmare.
I have booked again for next year, March 24, , 33 days from San Diego to all the Pacific islands, in Hawaii and the Tahitian group and Cook Islands and the Marquesses and back to San Diego on the Maasdam. This the fourth time on that run. Now that is cruising.
Cheers
Brian.

cappy
12th March 2016, 08:42 AM
well done brian to book again ......and how lucky to find something you like and enjoy......that is what retirement is all about.....i must say that i dont get a buzz from going away now ......i just love to spend time with my kids and grandkids .....a bit parochial i guess but to each his own ....my ideal now the summer is coming is to have family and eat in our garden.....not a lot to ask .....but then we do have to put ourselves at the mercy of the weather......long may you happily sail regards cappy

Peter F Chard
13th March 2016, 12:17 AM
We cruised on the " Diamond Princess " -- from memory 113000GRT and just over 4000 passengers. I did not sense that there was a crowding problem at any time during the trip, even at meal times. We even met our neighbours in the theatre one night !! Regards Peter in NZ.

vic mcclymont
13th March 2016, 10:09 AM
In todays Mail on Sunday there is two page cut out drawing of her.

happy daze john in oz
14th March 2016, 05:24 AM
We cruised on the " Diamond Princess " -- from memory 113000GRT and just over 4000 passengers. I did not sense that there was a crowding problem at any time during the trip, even at meal times. We even met our neighbours in the theatre one night !! Regards Peter in NZ.

Peter, the Diamond, Saphire and Golden are all sister ships. Have sailed on Golden and Saphire with a full complement of only 3,000. Wonder where thye put the other 1,000. But they are as big as any we will sail on, anything bigger is far too big. As Kong you have to pick the cruise and the cruise line carefully. RC is good on the smaller ships but these monsters are far too much. Imagine such a ship with maybe 15% of the bloods with walking aids etc, just hope there is no emergency.

Peter F Chard
14th March 2016, 07:23 AM
John, I may be wrong about passenger numbers, 3000 + sounds more like it. It was a great holiday -- the skipper was an ex P&O cadet, the first company I sailed with. We met some interesting people -- at our dinner table one night I sat next to an ex US Marine who was in the first wave of US marines ashore at Guadacanal -- He said they got slaughtered -- for the second attempt they got a British general to organise the invasion -- this time they just walked ashore and established a secure beachhead and next to no casualties !! As a veteran at the end of the war he was given a pension for his service, he thought about how he would use this money and eventually printed and published Frommers Guide -- the very first hotel and motel guide in the world. He now lives in a high rise skyscraper building on Long Island, in New York. We have another cruise planned for the middle of April -- The Solomon Islands and the surrounding islands, 12 nights and quite a long time at sea, well over two days steaming from Auckland to Port Vila, another seven days tripping around the other islands and then back to Auckland -- all on the Pacific Pearl. I have been to all these places, some quite recently but will be a first experience for my wife. Should be fun !! Regards Peter in NZ.

gray_marian
14th March 2016, 05:10 PM
#16, Your next trip sounds delightful Peter, hope you both gave lovely time.:)

john sutton
14th March 2016, 06:02 PM
I,ve only been a "paying" passenger twice.First time was Manchester to montreal whe I sat at the same table as a chief officer who had fired me the week before on the Manchester spinner for being late back after lunch well pxxsed when I was working standby.
Second time was back from montreal to uk(cant remember the port.Great time as the tourist class was loaded with aussie females and the booze was cheap

Peter F Chard
14th March 2016, 10:42 PM
You say the booze was cheap -- what about the Aussie sheilas ?? Regards Peter in NZ.

cappy
15th March 2016, 07:39 AM
You say the booze was cheap -- what about the Aussie sheilas ?? Regards Peter in NZ.your right abut the aussie shielas peter ...nearly as cheap as the kiwis ........lol cappy

happy daze john in oz
15th March 2016, 11:18 AM
John, I may be wrong about passenger numbers,Auckland -- all on the Pacific Pearl. I have been to all these places, some quite recently but will be a first experience for my wife. Should be fun !! Regards Peter in NZ.

Peter we have done most of those, interesting part of the world you will enjoy I am sure.
Yes you do meet some interesting people on a cruise, and a few undesirables, but the most are friendly and all get along.
Interestingly all the crew on Princess Cruises like the Oz and NZ cruises the most. They tell me the Aussies and Kiwis are the easiest one to serve. Even though we do not tip at home we always do on the ships and they have told me we from Oz/NZ are the most generous of any passengers.

Des Taff Jenkins
16th March 2016, 02:43 AM
Hi Brian.
Glad you enjoyed the cruise different on a smaller ship, and I'm sure you knew the quickest way to the lifeboats. But I was looking at those giants of the sea and a thought struck me, last time I was on a visit home we caught a double decker bus, getting off at one stop a not so old lady was in front of us getting of the top deck, by the time we reached the platform the bus had taken off. As someone said on here how on earth are they going to get all those passengers off in a hurry, bar throwing them off the top deck?
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
16th March 2016, 05:49 AM
Des believe it or not some of those ships now have shutes similar to the ones on aircraft. In an emergency passengers will be going down them in the hope the life boats will follow.

But to be fair to the shipping companies being able to unload 6,000 then reload 6,000 plus all the food etc required and to take off the gash is some task in 9 hours.

Doc Vernon
16th March 2016, 06:11 AM
We love cruising, I would do nothing else for a vacation, but we chose our trips and ships carefully.
Cheers
Brian.

Ahhh!! the rich but not so famous! LOL:)
Enjoy as I know you always do Brian
Cheers

j.sabourn
22nd March 2016, 04:40 AM
A friend of mines wife and her girlfriend the other night spent a night on the Astor, the evening before it sailed for the UK. It was a special offer probably not very expensive. The ship never leaving the berth so was probably trying to promote the vessel. I saw the lady 2 days ago and she wasn't very enthused at the night on board. She likes her wine and such and the only offer was either Red or White House. The cabin was very small, and the bulkheads not sound proofed. Over all she was not impressed. However she has been used to cruising on the bigger vessels where the entertainment and such was of a higher standard. As have another 2 friends who joined her the following evening for her 6 weeks passage back to the UK, who have done no cruising and this will be their first ocean going passage I hope they find conditions more compatible. Anyone know this vessel, believe she only takes about 700 passengers. Cheers JS

Captain Kong
22nd March 2016, 08:59 AM
I enjoy cruising compared with going to a hotel in Benidorm or any other beach resort for a couple of weeks, must be boring seeing the same place day after day. and the cost is only similar, Cruising is NOT expensive. it can be cheaper than hotels. Food is excellent, plus entertainment.
Every trip I do I see places I never saw , but always wanted to, when I was seafaring. I meet many old friends around the world as well, people who I would never see if I didn't cruise.
Choose your ship wisely. choose the itinerary wisely. and it is good to be at sea again, just stood on the ars end watching the wake is good. and brings back a load of memories.
Brian

happy daze john in oz
23rd March 2016, 05:57 AM
Brian I have to agree, when I look at prices for a 'home' holliday I know it is far cheaper. If you do not drink, shame on those people, then there is nothing else to pay. Great value with all you can eat, entertainment ansd as you say places we have never seen. Off to PNG in May.

Doc Vernon
23rd March 2016, 06:02 AM
One day I may join the Elite! LOL:)

Enjoy while you can!
Cheers

Blerry lucky sods! :vacation4:

j.sabourn
23rd March 2016, 08:41 AM
Doc, think of yourself as one of dads army left behind to fight off the foe, you can be Mr. Mannering. #14 It was Cappy who has the Viking stock, even has the hatchet to go with the wellies. Cheers JS

Captain Kong
23rd March 2016, 08:49 AM
It is not expensive to go cruising.
I was away for nine weeks, saw another six ports I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE and many other ports I enjoy going to. I saw my friends in Tahiti again, met up with Roger in Sydney who drove us for two hours south to Warilla, the following day met our Vernon and he treated us to a Luncheon Cruise around Sydney Harbour, Many thanks Vernon and Roger, It was a great pleasure.
In Nine weeks I had Nine weeks Pension paid into my bank, I saved Nine weeks Grocery Bills, I saved Two Months Road Tax on my car, I saved nine weeks Petrol use. and a few other expenses. Add all those together it almost pays for the cruise. Book the cheapest inside cabin and some times get a free upgrade, as we did this time to a lovely cabin on the promenade deck. Big Window.
I have booked for next March and Next trip they have given us a free upgrade and $600 US spending money.
So Cruising is Cheap and what great memories, Sure beats the hell out of spending a winter in Boltonistan.
Brian.

cappy
23rd March 2016, 11:22 AM
Doc, think of yourself as one of dads army left behind to fight off the foe, you can be Mr. Mannering. #14 It was Cappy who has the Viking stock, even has the hatchet to go with the wellies. Cheers JS...aye john but the chopper is not a good as it once was.....but is a good once as it ever was .......given the chance lol cappy