PDA

View Full Version : That's the way to (TORY) DO IT ?

Keith at Tregenna
5th October 2015, 05:05 PM
Nearing pantomime season ? or should you look behind you all the time ?

Ministers should waste no time to make unpopular cuts to pensioner benefits, a think tank director has said.

Many of those hit by a cut to the winter fuel allowance might "not be around" at the next election, said Alex Wild of the Taxpayers' Alliance.

And others would forget which party had done it, he added.

At the group's meeting at the Conservative conference in Manchester, former defence secretary Liam Fox said spending cuts must be "for keeps".

Mr Wild said the Tories could not wait until a year before the next election to make the necessary cuts to the winter fuel allowance, free bus passes, the Christmas bonus and other pensioner benefits.

Mr Wild, who is research director of the think tank which campaigns for lower taxes and highlights examples of Government waste, said the cuts should be made "as soon as possible after an election for two reasons".

"The first of which will sound a little bit morbid - some of the people... won't be around to vote against you in the next election. So that's just a practical point, and the other point is they might have forgotten by then."

He added: "If you did it now, chances are that in 2020 someone who has had their winter fuel cut might be thinking, 'Oh I can't remember, was it this government or was it the last one? I'm not quite sure.'

Taxpayers' Alliance: Cut pensioner benefits 'immediately' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34439965)

j.sabourn
6th October 2015, 02:18 AM
Think they should get back into the think tank they got out of and tank padlocked. Release them at 65 and ask them to think again. JS

happy daze john in oz
6th October 2015, 05:14 AM
Put him in the think tank and turn the tap on...............full

John Arton
6th October 2015, 01:29 PM
Whether you are Conservative, Labour, Liberal or whatever, there does seem to be at least one of the present cabinet talking sense and she is a women!!!
She is going to change the U.K. immigration policy into more akin to that of Australia and has told Europe to stop the flow of migrants from passing through various countries before attempting to reach the U.K. A borderless EU does not work she says.
In another surprise the EU has twice ruled in the U.K.'s favour saying the Government stance on EU migrants not being able to claim any benefits for at least 6 months is correct and also the dreaded European Court of Human Rights has backed our ban on dangerous prisoner's being allowed to vote in EU elections, bet Cherie Blair is a bit down hearted over that ruling as she had set up a law court to specifically fight for these prisoner's rights ( a Law Court is a fancy name for a barristers chambers/ legal firm)
Theresa May to tell Tory conference that mass migration threatens UK cohesion (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/theresa-may-to-tell-tory-conference-that-mass-migration-threatens-uk-cohesion/ar-AAf8u4x?ocid=spartandhp)
rgds
JA

gray_marian
6th October 2015, 06:04 PM
#4, Hey John Arton, Whats with the exclamation marks!!!!:p

j.sabourn
7th October 2015, 03:47 AM
Couldn't get the report fully only the bit about the warning. Have had years about warnings, hope her actions follow, which speak louder than words. JS

Des Taff Jenkins
7th October 2015, 04:31 AM
HI ALL.
To my mind the Tory's couldn't have got in without thousands of low paid people and pensioners voting for them. or not voting at all.
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
7th October 2015, 04:36 AM
The UK member T. May make sence and not before time. It is up to ANY COUNTRY TO GUARD THE BORDERS TO ALLOW ONLY WHO THEY WANT IN, NOT SOME OTHER COUNTRIES DESIRE. Sorry for the shouting but that is the bit, all nations should be able to determine their own destination on their own. Portection of the nation and the borders is the first duty of any gov.o

John Arton
7th October 2015, 08:01 AM
#4, Hey John Arton, Whats with the exclamation marks!!!!:p
Marian
no offence meant but it does usually take a female to sort things out, remember Mrs. T. Despite what many will say and claim she did sort the country out.
rgds
JA
p.s. no need for anyone to reply ranting about Mrs. T and how she supposedly destroyed communities, we've heard it all before

gray_marian
7th October 2015, 09:18 AM
#9, John, No offence taken:) As to a needing 'a female to sort things out', tell me something I don't know:p

Des Taff Jenkins
7th October 2015, 11:47 PM
Hi Marian.
I bet you don't know if I'm gay.
Cheers Des

Keith at Tregenna
8th October 2015, 12:23 AM
Hi Marian.
I bet you don't know if I'm gay.
Cheers Des

Or if by gay, he just means good old fashioned happy or not ? K

happy daze john in oz
8th October 2015, 05:35 AM
The concept of cutting pensions in the hope that by the time of the next election they would have fallen off the perch or forgotten is crap. Whilst those may the up coming will not, but the pension is something that all worker have paid into over their working life and the pension fund is at arms length, or should be, from the gov.