PDA

View Full Version : tracing a relative

Theresa Watts
25th August 2015, 06:25 AM
To whom it may concern
I have just found out my grandfather,Danvers Nicholas Williams, was offered a "promise of employment" with Elders and Fyffes Ltd. I think this was at the end of WW1.
At this point I have no other information other than he was a steward in the 4th Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry prior to this time.
He says he was in a trade union - this was the Cooks and Stewards, Branch St(?) Augustines Pde, Bristol.
I know at some point he returned to South Africa but as far as I know he kept sailing until he retired and became the Fishhoek Beach Inspector!
If you can help me I would be most grateful
Theresa Watts

Captain Kong
25th August 2015, 08:03 AM
Keep looking in Theresa, someone will come up with some ideas.
Cheers
Brian

Doc Vernon
25th August 2015, 07:21 PM
Hello Theresa
Welcome here and I hope that you may get some good feedback on your query!
Gosh! Fishoek! Have not heard of that name for Yonks! Lovely little fishing villaige it was and most probably still!
Used to spend many a day there with a good friend of mine Cycling from Cape Town around the Mountain from the Gardens and returning via all those lovely seaside places!
Cheers

Hugh
25th August 2015, 07:28 PM
Hello and welcome Theresa,

It looks like he has a WW1 medal card that you can download for 3.30. Here is the file number - BT 351/1/151212 (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7959938#imageViewerLink)

Regards
Hugh

Doc Vernon
25th August 2015, 07:37 PM
Was just looking at that Hugh you beat me to it!
Cheers

I see that he hails from Cape Town too! My Home Town~
I may have to look at some of my Contact Sites
Who Knows