PDA

View Full Version : cunard anniversary

john middleton
26th May 2015, 10:59 AM
I just caught a former Cunard waiter on the B.B.C. morning news yesterday morning, I think his name is Tommy Hibbert, still looking very smart as becomes a 'Cunard Yank' would love to hear more from him, and his table of nuns who he said were the best tippers, although the American students would take a lot of beating.

Evan Lewis
13th August 2015, 08:04 AM
Where have all the liners gone! Gone to Breakers,know not where"

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18657&stc=1

John Arton
13th August 2015, 09:03 AM
I just caught a former Cunard waiter on the B.B.C. morning news yesterday morning, I think his name is Tommy Hibbert, still looking very smart as becomes a 'Cunard Yank' would love to hear more from him, and his table of nuns who he said were the best tippers, although the American students would take a lot of beating.
Ah! American students.
One crossing east bound on the Empress of Canada when I was 5th Mate, out of some 1000 passengers, over 600 of them were American students with the majority of them being female. This was before the days of cheap air travel and they were all going over to see the U.K. and Europe in their summer break and the Empress boats offered the cheapest way to get to the U.K.
One of the hardest crossing I did trying to keep all those students in line, especially so as this was possibly the first time that they could legally buy alcohol.
You try doing night rounds at 0200 in tourist accommodation with the alleyways filled with half naked and drunken female American students wandering around wanting to "show me a good time sailor". Bloody nightmare it was and as to what was going on in dark corners of the open decks, well I blush even to this day when I think about it.
rgds
JA

cappy
13th August 2015, 09:13 AM
must have been a seamans dream at sea .....all them wanton women....lucky you......but did get accosted by a irish nun on the dublin ferry once...cappy

Ivan Cloherty
13th August 2015, 10:22 AM
A0 in tourist accommodation with the alleyways filled with half naked and drunken female American students wandering around wanting to "show me a good time sailor". Bloody nightmare it was and as to what was going on in dark corners of the open decks, well I blush even to this day when I think about it.
rgds
JA

Understand where you are coming from John, we all think we would like to be surrounded by semi naked nubile maidens, but in reality it is a living nightmare. I was a widower in my mid fifties living in a large house and my twin daughters would come home from university and bring anything up to a dozen of their female peers with them; I would get up in the morning and there would be at least half a dozen in panties and bras in the kitchen 'good morning Mr C would you like some breakfast' most giving you the 'come-on' look. The twins would say 'just going to the shops dad' and I would say 'no, just one of you is going to the shops' Nothing is as frightening as a dozen young scantily clad attractive females in your house, you may dream about about it, but it's a nightmare, and believe me they were not shy! On the beach it may have been delightful, in your home definitely not

john gill
13th August 2015, 01:26 PM
Understand where you are coming from John, we all think we would like to be surrounded by semi naked nubile maidens, but in reality it is a living nightmare. I was a widower in my mid fifties living in a large house and my twin daughters would come home from university and bring anything up to a dozen of their female peers with them; I would get up in the morning and there would be at least half a dozen in panties and bras in the kitchen 'good morning Mr C would you like some breakfast' most giving you the 'come-on' look. The twins would say 'just going to the shops dad' and I would say 'no, just one of you is going to the shops' Nothing is as frightening as a dozen young scantily clad attractive females in your house, you may dream about about it, but it's a nightmare, and believe me they were not shy! On the beach it may have been delightful, in your home definitely not

Seems chastity begins at home.