PDA

View Full Version : referendum voting

Keith Tindell
25th May 2015, 08:31 AM
I see that the persons eligible to vote on the EU referendum, when it comes, has been announced today. No EU migrants are eligible, but Malta, Cyprus, and ireland residents will be, also Brits who have been living abroad fro less than 15 years.17 year olds will not be eligible, unlike the Scottish referendum. How they are going to monitor that is going to be some job. There is also a report on the BBC website, that predicts the M***** percentage who reside here will rise from %5 to approx !!%, just to cheer you up Brian KT

John Pruden
25th May 2015, 11:20 AM
Keith if labour would have put a vote in their manifesto it might have made a big difference to who got in number 10 should listen to the people sometimes it might have paid of for labour couple of things he {milliban} missed out on telling the snp he would not throw in with them and the in/out vote with all the cuts it may be a good thing we go it alone it will take a few years to get back on our own feet again but we can do it? just my view.. jp

Keith Tindell
25th May 2015, 11:40 AM
John , i think even the Tories got the message from the people, via the UKIP vote, nearly 5 million people saying enough is enough. We are British, we can take it, and go it alone if need be. The report in the papers (if you believe them ) says that the cap for migrant benefit is £7000, thats £750 more than the basic old age pension, and for us to get that we had to pay in more than 40 years national insurance stamps. Lets do it and get out, just my own opinion, KT

cappy
25th May 2015, 12:12 PM
without wishing in or out ........the vote will be stay in there is no doubt about that..... and how on earth labour can change there agenda to get more votes is laughable if it wasnt so sad...it appears they think people are so dogmatic and stupid they will vote for them anyway .....sadly as a party of any clout they are finished ukip will intime be the main opposition as the scots go more nationalistic.......just my view regards cappy

j.sabourn
26th May 2015, 01:06 AM
They will probably stay in the Euro, because it will be disadvantageous to some big businesses and they are able to put out their own scare tactics. The average bloke in the street will be afraid of going into the unknown and will listen to what he thinks is good advice from a well backed propaganda machine. I only hope the general mass of people can see through these tactics, and also those who put the UK into the decline of its own will and decision making by professional politicians, most of whom at the best of time are self seeking advancement makers, and who are there as a career. Myself and others in the world remember the UK for what it stood for both at home and in other parts of the world and look on in wonder how it is becoming a satellite of Europe and having very little say in its own future Sovereignty, the people will decide not politicians I hope, and sincerely hope they make the right decision and get out. Ideally go back in time to what most thought of it as a trading partner only, if this not possible then come out altogether, Britain has many other countries to fill any gaps left by their departure. Once the UK goes into currency change and accepts the Euro as the accepted currency of the country, the game is lost completely, this will come as will be coerced into accepting if stay in. JWS

happy daze john in oz
26th May 2015, 05:05 AM
The British are a stoic nation, they came through two world wars and still survived. Coming out of EU can be done but yes many big companies may miss out if that occurs. But if they are good companies they will find other markets and survive. For mu opinion I think you could remain in EU but with new rules just for UK removing some of the more stupid concepts such as human rights bill and others concerning health, education and food regulations, some of which are the most stupid ever written up.

John Pruden
26th May 2015, 07:26 AM
most firms have one boss and one vote its the people who work for them that has the say? we worked at a time were jobs were plentiful and no such thing as food banks we should look after our taxpayers money in a proper fashion not by some pencil neck in parliament giving it to countries knowing it will not get anywhere near the people who need it most everyone knows that??

Jim Brady
26th May 2015, 08:45 AM
Big businesses is being mentioned here as keeping us in,I have seen many small good little businesses being interviewed who only trade with Europe they say if we come out of Europe that will be the end of them.If David Cameron can negotiate us paying less in,have control of our borders and says who comes in and can deport who he wants,can decide what benefits (if any) we pay to immigrants and can run our judiciary on British law and not that of Brussels I think we would be half way there.
Regards.
Jim.B.

cappy
26th May 2015, 08:52 AM
###thats an interesting statement jim ...as my lad imports a product from spain .....processes it and sells it in germany .......what would his outlook be if we came out......it is not strait forward.......if cameron can re negotiate terms beneficial to us ...and we can keep sterling ...that i think can only be good....cappy

John Albert Evans
26th May 2015, 01:33 PM
A couple of weeks ago Harriet Hareperon the Shadow Deputy Prime Minister stood up and said they (Who are theyI have to ask) would now be backing the European In Out referendum. One could say that it was a U Turn but not she. Today backbencher Hilary Benn, he who stood up in Parliament a few years ago and stated he was proud to announce that HE had got rid of the 100 watt light bulb and now he stood up today and said they (Again who are they I ask) Him or his constituants. I bet he hasn't asked all of them, and stated they were going to side with the SNP to block the referendum. The only way all the MP's and everyone in the country for that matter are going to know what the will of their constitants are is to ask them by holding the referendum.Please bear in mind all the wrong Pollsters in the last election.

John Albert Evans

Ivan Cloherty
26th May 2015, 02:57 PM
, i think even the Tories got the message from the people, , KT

Alas I think a lot of the Tories (backbenchers) are now backtracking on the manifesto that they were elected on, saying that will vote for staying in Europe and align themselves with the SNP for staying in Europe and that a referendum is not needed, what their constituents feel is immaterial apparently, and they will be voting against any proposal which means withdrawal from the EEC. The SNP of course will vote against anything (regardless of subject) that the Tories propose on a matter of principal (or more likely lack of any principals if it furthers their cause for independence)

Keith Tindell
26th May 2015, 04:32 PM
Ivan, i hope you are wrong, but fear you are right, our Scottish nationalists are going to create havoc in the next couple of years,. The referendum they had on independence, and the wealth needed for such, was based on North sea oil. Would have sent a shiver down them with the collapse of oil prices now , kt

vic mcclymont
26th May 2015, 06:08 PM
There is much scaremongering over threat to leave the EU, as far as I am aware all the negative speculation is NOT built on any substantial research.
The UK imports more goods than it sells to the EU, therefore they need us.
We contribute over £19b, admittedly we get some of it back.
Cameron is negotiating new terms for the UK.
What are the terms? we know he wants to limit immigration and benefits to immigrants but what else? Will we know?
I fear a big, big stitch up as labour have done a U-turn, has someone explained that the tactics employed are not as scary as being made out?
Every one assume leaving the EU will have a negative effect on the economy business, I don't think so, business may be bumpy or a period, but will settle down. Norway and Switzerland are independent of the EU and trade successfully with the EU and are free to trade with whom the wish, not like the UK.
I believe that the UK leaving the EU will have a negative effect on the EU and may cause other countries to question their membership.
After all UK leaving leaves a big black hole in the finances of the EU, something Cameron should be drawing to the EU's attention.
As for we Burney, get someone to put he back in her dolls house.
How can you be an independent country and still remain a member of the EU, over to you Sturgeon.

Regards
Vic.

John Pruden
26th May 2015, 06:45 PM
the EU has chipped away or trying to the british way of life as we know it? why do we need Westminster mps a queen and all the other trappings of being british? are we not proud of our country anymore do we have to be told everything at one time it would be us doing the telling. my point is we cannot rule our own land we cannot change laws that have been put no stamped on us by other countries and supposed to smile and kiss ar,e to them were is the spirit of the native Britain gone we cant boot out any undesirables that drop their hook here through red tape there must be enough red tape here to wrap the whole country up and with a nice bow present it to Europe seems that balls are in short demand when it comes to standing up and be british we traded and supplied best part of the planet once why cant we do it again? just my view jp

Captain Kong
26th May 2015, 06:50 PM
Cameron is Negotiating with that Jean Junker fellow , the Boss of europe at Chequers.

We should NOT Negotiate with the europeans, we should Tell them, We are British and should never negotiate with them.. We lost more than a MILLION Men Women and Children Killed by europe in the fight to rid them of a Dictator, now we are negotiating with another Dictator like a bunch of Creeps. TELL Them to get stuffed. We are British NOT some small province of a greater europe.
We looked after ourselves for more than a Thousand years without europe, we had the worlds biggest Empire now a Commonwealth of Nations. We do not need europe.
Those who want to stay in europe should go and live there and then the rest of us Brits can Trade with the world again.
Yesterday Adolf Merkel signed a Pact with Vichy Hollande the froggy frenchman, so they are ganging up on us the way they both did in 1939.
I would rather trust a bagfull of snakes than trust a european.
Brian

George
26th May 2015, 07:46 PM
It won't matter what we think. the result of any referendum will be to stay in Europe. All the scaremongering the dirty trixs brigade will see to that. Look how the Tories yoused the vote Labor get SNP, how may UKIP votes did that cost. Sorry to say it but Britain is finished, the ethnic population is already a minority in its own country. Our young have been brainwashed at school and by the media, they have been taught less about British history, than we were and all in the name of multiculturalism.
George
in Southampton

Captain Kong
26th May 2015, 07:48 PM
How the hell can Foreigners VOTE on the future of Britain , a country most of them have never been to,
Is That Vote Rigging,??? Is it all corrupted before it even starts ???
Maltese Voting on Britain's future?
Cyprus Voting on Britain's future??
Ireland voting on Britain's future. ??
Why not give China the vote on Britain's future? or Peru or some other 3rd world country to vote on Britain's future.
We cannot vote in any other country why can they vote in ours? Is that Democracy??
once again I despair.
Brian

Red Lead Ted
26th May 2015, 10:25 PM
Interesting thought, The Mus**m vote swung by 70% from Labour to Conservative, So they can make a difference, Interestingly Keith, 16 year old and 17 year olds can take the queens shilling and fight in any of the armed forces. Yet wont get a say as to whether we stay in or out of the single market, :mymy: Terry.

gray_marian
27th May 2015, 12:50 AM
#18, Re Queens shilling Terry, they cannot actually participate in combat till 18 I believe. Unlike WW1 & WW11, Navy included, but I get your point:)

Des Taff Jenkins
27th May 2015, 01:32 AM
HI All.
Most referendums are a farce, as they can be swayed by big business with the clout of their newspapers, such as Murdoch, it is amazing that people will swallow what they read.
I don't know enough about the position of most of the people in the UK these days to say yay or nay, but i remember the young bloke they hounded to death over the way he opposed the Brussels trading methods for Britain. I don't say that Australia or New Zealand would rush back into trade with Britain,as they were abandoned by them years ago, we are now part of South East Asia, with China a BIG part of our trade. I can see in the future Australia being in the same boat as Britain, the way China is buying up real estate, including big farms and businesses, they now want to develop a huge part of the Sydney Harbour foreshore with high rise apartments, which will be filled by Chinese. much much later on I shall be watching from above!!!
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
27th May 2015, 06:09 AM
If once again the British people could have some say on how their lives are lived and what effect the EU has on them they may be willing to stay in EU. But to do so they must be able to determine their own destiny, not some obscure pen pusher in Brussels.

Red Lead Ted
27th May 2015, 03:10 PM
#18, Re Queens shilling Terry, they cannot actually participate in combat till 18 I believe. Unlike WW1 & WW11, Navy included, but I get your point:)

Marian, With respect, I don't think given the opportunity certain factions prepared to attack the armed forces uniform of this country, Would stop and ask there age...........................Terry. :rolleyes:

Braid Anderson
28th May 2015, 02:07 AM
re #19 From my most recently published book 'Gunner Flag McAndrew:-

The Firth of Tay was choppy in the stiff breeze, and spray flew across the deck all the way to Broughty Ferry. Flag had quite a long way to go to reach the recruiting office in Dundee, but there was plenty of time to walk the distance. It was only 9 o’clock in the morning when he stepped ashore. The first half of the bus trip had been traversed in the dark, with dawn at St Andrews.
As things turned out, one of the car drivers on the ferry offered him a lift into Dundee, and he was standing outside the door of the ‘joint forces induction centre’ in town by twenty minutes past nine. His envelopes were taken by a corporal, and fifteen minutes later he was in Major Mitchell’s office. The major asked him what he intended doing in the army, and remembering his promise to John Wayne, he immediately said Artillery Surveyor. He still had no idea what the Artillery did with Surveyors, but a promise is a promise.
Major Mitchell told him he had made a wise choice, and the trade would stand him in good stead if he decided to re-enter civilian life at the end of his service. Flag had thought he could sign on for 3 years, but the major explained that with the end of National Service, the 3-year engagement was being phased out. It had been originally designed to encourage promising National Servicemen to stay an extra year for much increased pay and benefits. Now the standard engagement was for 12 years, with the option of leaving after 9 without pension. Flag hesitated at this piece of news - he didn’t want to sign his whole life away.
“Don’t worry too much lad, if you really don’t like Army life, you are entitled to quit after basic training. After THAT, you’re in, and no arguments.”
This sounded reasonable, so Flag signed the papers, and was given a bible. With left hand on the bible and right held in the air, he swore his Oath of Allegiance, and received his Queen’s Shilling. He looked at the shilling, and asked Major Mitchell if he could change it for pennies. The major roared with laughter.
“What on earth for?” he asked.
“I want to ring my wife at Stormhill hospital in Glasgow, and tell her I’m in the Army sir.”
The major pointed to the telephone on his desk.
“Feel free to use this one. Every condemned man’s entitled to one last phone call. Tell her you’ll be at Oswestry for 6 weeks, at the end of which you’ll be given 3 days leave. I’ll take a stroll outside for five minutes and see what the troops are up to.”

Gunner Flag McAndrew by Braid Anderson | 9781785106958 (http://www.feedaread.com/books/Gunner-Flag-McAndrew.aspx)

j.sabourn
28th May 2015, 05:53 AM
From one of these idol things they put out on TV screens nowadays re surveys done etc. it now appears that the most powerful woman on earth is the Chancellor of Germany. Shades of the past. ??? Last things heard on a world scale was when the Berlin Wall came down and Germany was forecast of being on its last legs due to the extra millions it would have to support both in jobs and benefits. The pundits are rarely correct it seems. They are not correct either in forecasting doom and gloom for coming out of the Euro comglamorate. JWS

cappy
28th May 2015, 06:59 AM
surveys are statistics often wrong ...themost powerful woman in the the world you have met john ......she is married to me.......regards cappy

j.sabourn
28th May 2015, 07:20 AM
Was she looking over your shoulder. I would get murdered by gwen if she knew what I put on here. When first married she said I dont want you bringing anything nasty home with you, apart from a few weird people off ships, tried to comply with her wishes. Would have a blue fit if she saw what was on here. Still thinks the world is a nice orderly place with a few naughty bandits around. What did pat do when you took in mary. ?? Cheers John S

cappy
28th May 2015, 07:38 AM
i have seen what is going on here john sabourn who is this mary .....what has he been up to now.....i know whats going on......i shall sort his lordship out now and i shall be telling gwen about you and this mary......disgusting piece of flotsam she is .....and i can tell you this cappy will not be on line for a week now he is grounded.......patricia who sadly is cappys missus

j.sabourn
28th May 2015, 07:48 AM
Sorry Cappy thought she was out playing golf. Are you still comfy in your shed. Do you do man things in there, like carving a new leg for Mary and telling everyone it is to repair the kitchen table. See you next week. JWS

cappy
28th May 2015, 07:54 AM
Sorry Cappy thought she was out playing golf. Are you still comfy in your shed. Do you do man things in there, like carving a new leg for Mary and telling everyone it is to repair the kitchen table. See you next week. JWSno mr sabourn he is in his shed and wont be outfor a week as i have locked the double security lock on it ........who is this mary .......i will get to the bottom of this going on .....does gwen know about this i shall be on the phone to her shortly.......you you casanova

cappy
28th May 2015, 08:37 AM
john pleasev send file care of cappys shed and food regards cappy......and beer

j.sabourn
28th May 2015, 08:59 AM
What about the dancing girls or boys as realize you may have been converted by now. I think that singing group AC/DC were very controversial when they started, or didn't they know what it meant. Going out now to a boozy dinner, taking Gwen to drive me home seeing how she"s behaved herself this week. Cheers JWS

John Arton
28th May 2015, 09:06 AM
Ah! now going completely off thread JS.
AC/DC, often used to see there lead singer, a good Geordie lad Brian Johnson, in my local off licence buying booze on his way to meet up with his pal, John Miles, who was and is, a well known musician living in West Boldon. He was always playing on any of Tina Turners tours.
Brian Johnson is a car nut and has his own series on one of the Discovery Channels here in the U.K.
rgds
JA

j.sabourn
29th May 2015, 12:27 AM
Was pointing out the letters AC/DC and the meaning of such, not the group themselves who I also regard as very competent musicians and entertainers. As think most seamen will also know that AC/DC does not always stand for alternating and direct current. Marion being the one of the more naïve on site may have now added more to her vocabulary, but would imagine she already knew as is now a pretty common saying. Cheers JWS

gray_marian
29th May 2015, 01:41 AM
#33, Who else is in this 'naive' club cheeky chops? .......AC/DC, myself.......??? Yes my lovely John, fully admit always assumed either the "Group" themselves or electricity flow, so what else:p

j.sabourn
29th May 2015, 03:16 AM
Ask Cappy for his version he is well adapted to the vernacular sayings of this obtruse world. Something else to figure out. Cappy can speak in proper Queens English, Geordie style. Cheers JWS

cappy
29th May 2015, 06:12 AM
###another fine mess youve got yourself into stanley......lol cappy

j.sabourn
29th May 2015, 07:04 AM
I ken what you mean, blah blah blah blah blah . Oliver.

Des Taff Jenkins
30th May 2015, 01:43 AM
Hi All
Who has got democracy, Ireland has a public referendum on [Gay]? marriage, Australia's politicians are pushing to vote for it in parliament? They must reckon there are too many Irish out here.
Cheers Des

John Pruden
30th May 2015, 07:47 AM
all that was needed was an extra box to tick at the general election we have had people voting on the promise of a vote on the in/out so a proper vote is now or should be on the cards? jp

j.sabourn
30th May 2015, 07:59 AM
#38.... You know the old song Des.... If your Irish come into the parlour, you"ll find a welcome there for you.

#9... Too easy to work out John re the referendum and the cost of such. Why not vote at the same time as the Election. Doesn't take a brain specialist to work out. JWS