PDA

View Full Version : P.s.n.c

john middleton
27th February 2015, 12:53 PM
Is there any body ieft who sailed on either the Reina del Mar or the Reina del Pacifico, totell tales of nights ashore in Havana,Panama, Callap or Valporaiso?

Jim Brady
27th February 2015, 01:10 PM
John I don't think you only needed to be on any of the Reina's to tell tales of those ports.I was with PSNC 2 on the Salinas and 1 on the Cotopaxi I remember those places with great memories!!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
27th February 2015, 01:43 PM
I second what Jim says, only adding there was less meat to go around when the Reina's' were in, don't want to tell too many tales, but Dolores in Havana was the love of my life (at that time!!), she still has my cherry, as do others in Callao and Valpo!

Dennis McGuckin
27th February 2015, 03:59 PM
Goods memories from those ports, on the SS Pazaro.

Kenneth Kenny
27th February 2015, 04:57 PM
Hi Dennis,I sailed on the Pizarro,1956 went to Havana Cuba,the Woman were Lovely,tasted a few,like all the Crew.Valpo,Skandi Bar,and Roland,went a drift there for Two Day's what a life,same thing happend in 1959,worth getting log for on the Santander.Went back there with the Wife Six Year's all gone,but my Memorie's are still with me.Big Container Base now.R634898.Ken.

Ivan Cloherty
27th February 2015, 05:17 PM
Hi Dennis,I sailed on the Pizarro,1956 went to Havana Cuba,the Woman were Lovely,tasted a few,like .R634898.Ken.

Now you've upset me Ken, I can't believe my Dolores would have gone with another man!

Charlie Hannah
28th February 2015, 01:39 AM
I was also on four of their cargo ships,the first one being my first trip to sea,The Flamenco.My old dads mates were on it they were all down below.I Remember Havana well especially THE Dos hermando's i went ashore with you guessed it the down below crowed apparently my Dad had told them to keep a watch on me,coke with out the rum of course,got my own back on them though,Old Billy the donkey man had been going with one particular women for years,i was out side with her having a knee trembler when who walks out caught me red handed gave me a crack on the back of the nut and said I'll be ****** my old mate Luke's lad.After that though it became a great trip.Top bunch of older ship mates some of the best i ever sailed with!

cappy
28th February 2015, 08:39 AM
HAPPY DAYS CHARLIE LIKE I KEEP SAING WE HAD IT ALL .......AND GOT PAID FOR IT ....CAPPY:rolleyes::rolleyes:

John Pruden
28th February 2015, 10:17 AM
my next door neighbour sailed for psnc EDDIE DEAN he is still going strong.. jp

Ivan Cloherty
28th February 2015, 11:26 AM
The only outstanding person I remember from PSNC was Captain Litherland, an old school gentleman, only ever heard him raise his voice once, and that was in a hurricane on the 'Salinas' whilst enroute to New Zealand, we shipped a really big green one it hit the bridge front with such force water spewed through the bridge front bell pull hawse pipe with water spouting all over the old man and a loud 'cadet block that bloody pipe up' was heard. Until that time the bell had been rung at noon everyday, that bell was never heard again the whole voyage. We arrived off Pitcairn Island at 0500 on 1st January 1956,

Jim Brady
28th February 2015, 02:52 PM
Well that is a surprise Ivan I never knew PSNC sailed to anywhere else but the WCSA ,one of my old ships aswell the Salinas.Was this a special charter,just a one off,if somebody would've told me that they went to the Pitcairn Islands on a PSNC cargo boat I would've found it hard to believe but there you are you did.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
28th February 2015, 03:22 PM
Yes Jim, we were on charter to Shaw Saville for a trip to New Zealand, apparently we were instructed by Shaw Saville not to arrive at Pitcairn until after the 'Gothic' which was due there on 1st January 1956 around 1000 an order Capt Litherland did a Nelson to. We left as soon as we spotted the Gothic's masts come over the horizon, we made the papers in NZ as the first to ship to arrive in Pitcairn in 1956.

Later that year whist on 'Salinas' we went on charter to M O D for the Suez invasion becoming the commodore ship and sailing in with the invasion fleet.

I was lucky as when on the 'Sarmiento' we were chartered to Safmarine and did all the ports in South Africa plus Beira and then headed off to the USA, being redelivered back to PSNC in New York, then off to Santiago de Cuba to load a full cargo of sugar for the Continent, it was on that trip we encountered hurricane Carrie and went to the aid of the 'Pamir'

I saw more of the world in 3 years with PSNC than some who had served with them for 20 years plus, which gave me a taster to move companies and see the rest of the world rather than just the WCSA

Dennis McGuckin
28th February 2015, 04:40 PM
Hi Dennis,I sailed on the Pizarro,1956 went to Havana Cuba,the Woman were Lovely,tasted a few,like all the Crew.Valpo,Skandi Bar,and Roland,went a drift there for Two Day's what a life,same thing happend in 1959,worth getting log for on the Santander.Went back there with the Wife Six Year's all gone,but my Memorie's are still with me.Big Container Base now.R634898.Ken.
Hi Ken.
I was on her in 62. Den.

Charlie Hannah
28th February 2015, 11:38 PM
Know Eddie well John! I am in touch with his mate Pat Brady,You have probably met him.Good to see you back on board John.Stay Well.Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Ivan when were you on the Salinas?I was on here from21/9/64 till 6/ Oct /64.
Ivan just spotted your post no 12. Answered my question right there.Good post!

Peter Kilshaw
22nd November 2015, 02:32 PM
My dad was on the flamenco too and I would love to find him some photos of the ship if anyone can help I would be very grateful.
Thanks.

Captain Kong
22nd November 2015, 04:05 PM
How`s that Peter.
Five photos of FLAMENCO. courtesy of OLD Ship Photos.
Cheers
Brian

cappy
22nd November 2015, 04:16 PM
How`s that Peter.
Five photos of FLAMENCO. courtesy of OLD Ship Photos.
Cheers
Briannice to see some proper ships .......instead of these ugly containers and bloody floating pigeon hutches........cappy

Ivan Cloherty
22nd November 2015, 05:47 PM
If I remember rightly she and or sister ship (Cotopaxi) were being built for Clan Line and were bought on whats called 'off the stocks' when nearing completion. That's why they have a sensible derrick and winch arrangement four derricks and four winches at each hatch instead of that hard work stupid penny pinching system found on the 'S' boats (and others) four derricks all at one end of the hatch and just two winches, so when working port and starboard at anchor had to use rope runners on the drum ends with the winches kept running all the time in temperatures of 90/100, the leckies loved that! The only other ship that had the four/four system was the 'Cuzco' which was also bought off the stocks when she was being built for Ben Line. When you look at the 'Flamenco' you can see that see has the typical Clan Line profile and funnel, and the Cuzco has the Ben Line profile. When sailing on the 'S' Class we used to envy their deck rig

vic mcclymont
1st December 2015, 06:48 PM
If I remember rightly she and or sister ship (Cotopaxi) were being built for Clan Line and were bought on whats called 'off the stocks' when nearing completion. That's why they have a sensible derrick and winch arrangement four derricks and four winches at each hatch instead of that hard work stupid penny pinching system found on the 'S' boats (and others) four derricks all at one end of the hatch and just two winches, so when working port and starboard at anchor had to use rope runners on the drum ends with the winches kept running all the time in temperatures of 90/100, the leckies loved that! The only other ship that had the four/four system was the 'Cuzco' which was also bought off the stocks when she was being built for Ben Line. When you look at the 'Flamenco' you can see that see has the typical Clan Line profile and funnel, and the Cuzco has the Ben Line profile. When sailing on the 'S' Class we used to envy their deck rig
Ivan, quite correct Clan Stewart and Clan Skene were sold on the stocks to PSNC an renamed Cotapaxi and Kenuta. PSNC were happy with the design and performance of the ships and ordered furthers ships of that class from Denny's of Dumbarton. The Greenock Dockyard had sold the design to Denny.
regards
Vic

Jim Brady
1st December 2015, 07:31 PM
The design wasn't good for me as pantryman on the Cotopaxi.The pantry was inboard without port holes or a bit of a breeze from anywhere,breakfast time you had the hotpress,hotplate,big grill toaster,water boiler and coffee maker I don't know what the temp would've been but it was hot,just standing still the sweat poured off you.To make matters worse our accommodation was down below and as we all know the swell down WCSA was something else.We had to have the porthole in the cabin battened down some nights so not much sleep was had with the discomfort and then turning to to that pantry would drain anyone.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
5th February 2016, 02:17 PM
Well that is a surprise Ivan I never knew PSNC sailed to anywhere else but the WCSA ,one of my old ships aswell the Salinas.Was this a special charter,just a one off,if somebody would've told me that they went to the Pitcairn Islands on a PSNC cargo boat I would've found it hard to believe but there you are you did.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Have done a bit more digging Jim and you (and me!) will be surprised at what PSNC did, far too much to pen on here, but they were great innovators with having the first passenger ship with electricity and the first company to accept experimental steam and motor engines and had some of the fastest ships afloat in the 1870's with speeds of 15/16 knots not being uncommon (all the ships mentione below were bulit in 1870/1880's). They started a regular service to Australia and NZ in 1877 in conjunction with Liverpool traders Anderson and wait for it.... the name of the PSNC ship was 'Lusitania' on her maiden voyage she knocked 10 days off the previous record held by P & O (Peninsular and Orient) The PSNC/Anderson venture was called Pacific and Orient and became Orient Shipping when PSNC sold its interests in 1915. PSNC started a fortnightly service to Australasia after the 'Lusitania' voyage. Some of the vessels on the Australia service whose names you will recognise and some you may not...........'John Elder' (was going to be called Sarmiento, but the name was changed to John Elder who'es yard built her and he was the designer of her compond engine) 'Chimbarazo' 'Cuzco' 'Garonne' 'Acongagua' Liguria' 'Potosi' (one of the first vssls to be lengthened) 'Cotopaxi' Illimani' 'Oroya' 'Orizaba' (this vssl ran aground off Garden Island, Sydney when she ran into dense smoke which suddenly sparang up from bush fires in a land clearing exercise, she became a total wreck) 'Orotava' 'Oruba' (this vessel purchased by the Admiralty in 1914 and rebuilt to look like the battleship HMS 'Orion', she was scuttled in 1915 in the Agean sea to form a breakwater! ours is not reason why)

PSNC also established a Liverpool- Bordeaux-Buenos Airies service, but it only lasted a few years, as the WCSA was more profitable. As mentioned in the cruising forum they also ran services from Valparaiso, panama to San Francisco and Alaska'

So hope above was of some interest to a liverpool lad

Jim Brady
5th February 2016, 02:30 PM
Thanks for that Ivan very interesting.
Regards.
Jim.B.

ronald h taylor
6th November 2016, 12:54 AM
i was on the sallaverry in about 1961 we were in valpo for two weeks...all the deck crowd were adrift in this time apart for a few days.also on the kenuta ,and orcoma

Peter F Chard
6th November 2016, 02:34 AM
Does anyone remember or recall an engineer named Ian Frith, born Fleetwood about 1936. Was a junior and then 4th. Engineer with PSNC. Regards Peter in NZ.

j.sabourn
6th November 2016, 02:50 AM
The name Frith jogs a memory, but there again is a fairly common name, and have seen that many crew lists, is doubtful unless something not normal happened would remember. A name of ships he was on would no doubt clarify, but as you don't have, someone may come up with. Salutations on this few days remaining on the sanity of the world in general and the out of this world of the American Elections, with all the so called expert soothsayers of the world having their final say via all the forms of what we call the media. Whoever gets this honoured position is going to spend the next 4 years trying to prove to everyone they are perfectly sane and competent, and no one is going to believe them. JS