PDA

View Full Version : Containerships

j.sabourn
31st January 2015, 02:59 AM
See that China now has the CSCL Globe the largest containership at present afloat. 184,000 tons, carries 19,100 containers. 440 yards in Length, longer than 4 football pitches, its containers would stretch for 72 miles if laid end to end, further than London to Northampton. Its equivilant cargo weight is 14,500 London buses. Its Engine Room is 5 storeys high and contains the biggest engine ever built and can generate 69,720 kW of power. Just a few of its record breaking features, there are future plans to build even bigger. JS

happy daze john in oz
31st January 2015, 05:09 AM
John I thought Mearsk had bigger than that?

j.sabourn
31st January 2015, 08:46 AM
Not any more. Have always said China and Russia will lead the way in all future shipping. JS In a single trip the ship could potentially carry up to 156 million pairs of shoes, 300 million tablet computers, 900 million tins of beans, or 37,400 cars. Goes on to say British Ship building is currently a shadow of its former industrial glory and it would now seem that the consumers rule the waves. Notice that when the author gives the values of commodities they are all those that China produces cheaply itself. Don't know about the beans though. As regards the British shipbuilding has probably read somewhere as is more than likely not old enough to remember the days of Britain being the worlds best. JS

Captain Kong
31st January 2015, 04:33 PM
And we give aid to China.
Brian

John Pruden
31st January 2015, 05:12 PM
we missed the boat brian.. jp

Ivan Cloherty
31st January 2015, 06:27 PM
Mearsk Oscar supercedes the China Shipping Vessels having a capacity of 19224 TEU, just entered service

vic mcclymont
31st January 2015, 09:52 PM
HI Ivan, I think hat you will find it is the MSC OSCAR, registered in Switzerland.

Ivan Cloherty
31st January 2015, 11:08 PM
HI Ivan, I think hat you will find it is the MSC OSCAR, registered in Switzerland.

Vic , I know you're right it is the MSC Oscar, I had a mental block! alas they are becoming more frequent!

j.sabourn
31st January 2015, 11:27 PM
#6... There you go then Ivan, you cant believe the press at all. Wrong facts among most of my complaints about them as well. Just a propaganda sheet to bamboozle people and make money for their bosses. Cheers JS Hope they put an apology in the next write up. JS

Ivan Cloherty
1st February 2015, 10:14 AM
Japanese yard has just signed an order to build eleven x 20,000 TEU vessels for an undisclosed owner, rumoured to be Maersk (cannot see them sitting on the sidelines). First delivery is scheduled for first quarter of 2018. This will give COSCO and the Chinese yards plenty of time to build a bigger TEU carrier delivering before 2018 thus taking the Japanese yard's crown for building the largest TEU vessel.

It is all very well building these large vessels, but when mother nature or a construction fault decides that the vessel is not going to reach its destination, thousands of businesses will be effected by that one loss and it will be the end of some with having no stock, as most companies these days operate on a JIT System (Just In Time) and do not keep a large stock which ties up money. Insurance may (or may not, if adjudged Force Majeure) cover the loss of goods but it will not replenish an immediate requirement of stock, not only will the business suffer, but also the man in the street as certain goods become unavailable. Economies of scale may seem the way to go, but the bigger the one loss, the more disastarous the after effects.

j.sabourn
1st February 2015, 11:06 AM
#10... If I was a multi billionaire and wanted to invest in shipping, I think I would be a bit more prudent on weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of building mammoth sized shipping as against moderate sized shipping, as to cutting my losses in the event of any maritime disaster, and we all know they happen. In the event of war they would be a primary target and soon seen off. Really brings to mind the Naval thinking of the Dreadnought and Battleship sized capital ships of western navies, which a flying unmanned drone would be nowadays capable of disabling, at the time no one foresaw the way such huge vessels would be cost ineffective and a sitting target also. They may look impressive but their role in any real hostilities would be very doubtful. Anyone telling me about the negatives of such huge merchant ships is preaching to the already believer. The container ship mentioned is too big to even get through the Panama Canal. It is over 50 years now since some of us did the M.N. Defence course run by the Admiralty, and even in those days the thinking was out of tune with todays building of such huge vessels, which would be very restricted in their ports of discharge, that is if there were any remaining in a modern fought all out war. Maybe the huge Merchant Ships are built to appease some peoples pride of achievement. The same as the Blue Riband of yesteryear, meant nothing to me, would rather get there in one piece. Cheers John S

Des Taff Jenkins
2nd February 2015, 05:00 AM
Hi John.
I thought that someone had put pictures of that Chinese ship on site, unless I saw it somewhere else.
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
2nd February 2015, 05:37 AM
All to do with the economy of scale. Build them big, few crew needed and the risk of loosing one is not too high.

j.sabourn
2nd February 2015, 07:17 AM
The one described via the International Express of last week had 30 on board, which believe may have been Chinese. Don't think Maersk have such a large crew but may be wrong. JS

John Pruden
2nd February 2015, 10:00 PM
john I spoke to my son tonight he works for Maersk depending on size 12 crew over a certain size more and a doctor has to be on-board not many at all I am trying to get him to come to the meet up to see how things were I hope that he comes but its the same week as our grandson he would give an up to date over a certain size its classed as an island but there are ships in Maersk on the drawing board to carry 25 000 containers 25 in total just how big can they get but Maersk are trying to distance themselves against the captain Philips film as it was 150 miles closes than it should have been but that is Hollywood for you there is only so much info he is willing to give out jobs wise hope this is the answer you are looking for he might see what it was like back in the day?/ jp

happy daze john in oz
3rd February 2015, 05:53 AM
Some of the Mearsk ships on the run between China and USA have as little as 8 crew on board