View Full Version : Flying babies:

Keith at Tregenna
25th January 2015, 09:29 PM
This is how babies used to fly on airplanes:

Keith Moody
25th January 2015, 11:16 PM
keith,
this bought back some memories for me.
that picture looks like it was taken on a DC7 or posibly A Hermes arcraft of B.O.A.C ( now British Airways ), the cradles were called "Skycots" and were fixed on the overhead racks, what is not shown in the photo is the soft netting that went over the cot so that in turbulant weather the baby was not thrown out. on some of our long haul trooping flights when families were carried we could have up to 10 of these being used. the baby had to be taken out for take-off and landing.
on flights to places like Hong Kong and singapore or Nairobi, the person operating the galley would make up a container of baby milk, in order to keep the babies quiet they would also pour in a substance that was called "Phenagan" or a name like that, this would calm the small ones down and most would sleep most of the way,
after 2 or 3 days to the far east the mothers thought their babies had been so good all the way, none of them ever caught on to what had taken place, this was back in the 1960`s. when the Jets were introduced certain seat rows were against the bulkhead where a table would be and baby`s were placed on these in carry cots.
keith moody
R635978

j.sabourn
26th January 2015, 02:44 AM
Keith in the sixties whenever I had the wife and two kids down to the ship in the UK, used to pull a couple of drawers out and they used to sleep in them. A one for scary moments which I didn't realize until afterwards was when the pilot cutter brought them out to the ship anchored in the Mersey just about opposite the Liver Building, a blustery night and the ship being loaded was deep in the water, I leaned down and picked one of them up by the reins and hoisted her onboard, thinking about it later if the reins had parted, had nightmares about it for some time. JS

happy daze john in oz
26th January 2015, 05:03 AM
It is a pity there was not something like that on our last flight, and on the outside wing. There was one baby cried almost non stop for the 75 hour flight. The parents appeared oblivious to it all not caring bout other passengers.

Keith Moody
26th January 2015, 05:47 AM
john, your last flight was 75 hours???? where did you go to and did you have to peddle the aircraft props?,
keith moody
R635978

j.sabourn
26th January 2015, 06:35 AM
Went for a round trip to Venus. JS

gray_marian
26th January 2015, 09:55 AM
It probably just felt like 75 hours!.......... Unfortunately this type of parenting appears to be on the increase:(

happy daze john in oz
26th January 2015, 11:23 AM
It probably just felt like 75 hours!.......... Unfortunately this type of parenting appears to be on the increase:(

Actualy 7.5 and yes some parents of today think this sort of thing is OK, the will tell you the baby I just being a baby. I wonder if it ever occurs to then the kid may have a problem?