PDA

View Full Version : Jane:

Keith at Tregenna
15th January 2015, 11:03 PM
Maritime Jane:

Bit of a corker.

Keith at Tregenna
16th January 2015, 12:19 AM
In wartime Britain, the cartoon heroine "Jane" appeared regularly in The Daily Mirror and boosted morale during the Blitz and thereafter by taking her clothes off during periods of bad news. It was said that the first British armored vehicle ashore on D-Day carried a large representation of a naked Jane. She'd finally lost the last vestiges of her modesty during the Normandy campaign in 1944, inspiring soldiers to say that "Jane had given her all." Prime Minister Winston jokingly dubbed Jane "Britain's secret weapon" in homage to her role in raising and maintaining morale.

But who was Jane?

Racy Cartoons of the WW II Years: "Jane" (http://www.skylighters.org/jane/)

j.sabourn
16th January 2015, 07:07 AM
Remember those cartoons, also the ones with the big nose overhanging the fence and the saying Wot No whatever the shortage was, forget the cartoon artist "s name but bought a painting of his, of Kingston Bridge for my sisters birthday, as she was born in the area during the blitz. The artist also coming from the Kingston area. Thinking of the years after the war and the radio and film star heroes, like John Wayne Clarke Gable Roy Rogers Gene Autrey Donald Peers Flannigan and Allan Max Bygraves Johnny Ray, radio shows like PC 49 and many more, was such a less violent world than of today. What ever happened, as someone aptly said in one post the lunatics are in charge of the asylum. If that is what we have to have with progress would rather go back a few years. Another thing sadly long gone was that in team sports it was a sign of distinction to play for ones country. Nowadays there are more foreign players per side in whatever country is playing, whats the point of calling an English French German or any other side the name of the country they are supposed to represent. All pure mercenary intents as to monetary advancement working under the title of sports, would rather go and watch a group of local schoolboys playing, International sports does absolutely nothing for me with the present self indulgent rules made by the clubs, will never get anything from me for watching. JS

Ivan Cloherty
16th January 2015, 08:50 AM
Then there was 'Itma' .................'Can I do you now sir?' also 'Round the Horne' with 'Hello I'm Julienne and this is my friend Sandy' risque at the time and of course against the law, and for music lovers Victor Sylvester and his Big Band also Billy Cotton and his Band, the Goones came after the war when the lads had been demobbed. No doubt others will be forthcoming but never a swear word uttered and the 'F' and'C' word would have had the country up in arms, they may have been hard times, but people had more respect for each other and each others feelings

Jim Brady
16th January 2015, 09:22 AM
That Kilroy guy got in some places.Imagine telling kids today that you listened to a ventriloquist on the radio,yes Peter Brough and Educating Archie.We didn't see his lips move did we.
Regards.
Jim.B.

j.sabourn
16th January 2015, 09:38 AM
People talk for and against the caricatures drawn during the recent and ongoing religious palaver still going on. What about the drawings of Hitler and his henchmen. I always though that the drawings in the papers at the time of the Japanese shown a little bandy legged bloke with big glasses on was a true caricature of what they looked like, all were supposed to be short sighted as well. When went there in 1953 was sure glad the women didn't look like that. JS

john gill
16th January 2015, 10:02 AM
#5. 'Vent' acts are clever in that you rarely look at the person holding the dummy and focus on the dummy instead. The finest example i've ever seen is Ken Dodd's Dicky Mint, that dummy seems to have a mind of it's own.
Gilly

Ivan Cloherty
16th January 2015, 10:51 AM
the drawings in the papers at the time of the Japanese shown a little bandy legged bloke with big glasses on was a true caricature of what they looked like, all were supposed to be short sighted as well. When went there in 1953 was sure glad the women didn't look like that. JS

You should have seen the one Cappy got!

j.sabourn
16th January 2015, 01:37 PM
Story went she also had Leprosy. JS

Ivan Cloherty
16th January 2015, 06:35 PM
Story went she also had Leprosy. JS

Accounts for the wooden leg then!

happy daze john in oz
17th January 2015, 04:48 AM
You should have seen the one Cappy got!

Mary with a wooden leg full of worm.

j.sabourn
17th January 2015, 08:20 AM
Anyone remember "Forever Amber", a serial in the late 40"s in The News Of The World which was considered a risqué paper then and so was the story by the standards of the day. Would be considered nothing today. JS

Ivan Cloherty
17th January 2015, 08:35 AM
'Forever Amber' still on thew banned list in Libraries in the UK in the 50's and had to hide it from Customs black gangs when entering the UK

john gill
17th January 2015, 09:34 AM
Anyone remember an author (American, I think) named Hank Janson? His books were the equivalent of todays 40 Shades etc. Much sought after in the 50's.
Gilly

Ivan Cloherty
17th January 2015, 09:41 AM
Anyone remember an author (American, I think) named Hank Janson? His books were the equivalent of todays 40 Shades etc. Much sought after in the 50's.
Gilly

The most read books on ships in the 50's, as I was a bookworm and if going ashore in the States it was always 'Don't forget the Hank Jansons Clo!' Could also get them in the Canal Zone. If you received it down the line some of the pages were stuck together for some reason!

cappy
17th January 2015, 09:44 AM
Gilly###hence the w ord...... having a hank.....cappy

Jim Brady
17th January 2015, 09:44 AM
How about listening to Dick Barton Special Agent on the radio,Dick Barton, Snowy and Jock.It was a serial,one week it might end with Dick going over the edge of a cliff in a car,the commentator would announce tune in next week to see if Dick survived.The following week we would gather around the radion and listen intently only to be told that Dick just managed to jump out before the car went over the top,Hooray!!!!!
Regards.
Jim.B.