PDA

View Full Version : Saddest day in the Royal Navy 31/July 1970 the end of the ToT

Bill Cameron
31st July 2014, 08:24 AM
A matelot’s farewell to his tot….

You soothed my nerves and warmed my limbs
And cheered my dismal heart,
Procured my wants, obliged my whims
And now it’s time to part.
‘Mid endless perils of the deep
And miseries untold
You summoned sweet forgetful sleep,
Cocooned me from the cold.

Ten years ago, the “pound o’ leaf”,
That cast its fragrant spell
About the ship, expired in grief
And sadness of farewell
Though guests might find the pantry bare,
Whene’er they choose to come
Your hospitality was there:
A tot of Pussers rum.

Two hundred years and more you filled
The storm-tossed sailor’s need.
Now you’ve been killed by spite distilled
From jealousy and greed,
And petty clerks with scrawny necks
Who never saw a wave,
Nor felt the spray nor heaving decks,
Consign you to your grave.

Alas! However I protest
To save myself from hurt,
They tell me that it’s for the best
To keep us all alert.
And so the time has come, old friend,
To take the final sup.
Our tears are shed. This is the end.
Goodbye, and bottoms up!

Richard Quartermaine
31st July 2014, 11:50 AM
I wonder if the stokehold and galley on the old SS&A coal burners got their ToT in the tropics whilst there were still coal fired ships in the fleet. As galley boy on the Raranga in 1947 I took my enamel mug along to get mine.
Richard

John Arton
31st July 2014, 02:27 PM
Back in 68 on CPR's Beaver boats we got a bottle a crossing during winter months. Usually was good stuff as well but cannot remember the brand
rgds
JA

Dennis McGuckin
31st July 2014, 03:10 PM
Don't recall a rum issue on CPR.
Did with P&O. Also got a bottle each Friday with Furness Whithy.

Ivan Cloherty
31st July 2014, 05:29 PM
Only thing we got free on the ships I sailed on was B O T Lime Juice, and then we had to use it for cleaning the taffrails

Stan Carter
31st July 2014, 05:55 PM
the only free tot's i ever received was during tank cleaning.
regards, stan

Doc Vernon
31st July 2014, 08:39 PM
Well at least the Lime Juice we got kept us from getting all dehydrated through those hot and humid days in the Tropics!
Cheers

I still like the Lime Juice! Its a refreshing drink in the Summer!

eric fisher
31st July 2014, 09:43 PM
Lime juice takes the lead out of your pencil. Used in the old days for vitamin purposes. They plied me with it when I was 17 and I found that I wasn't performing very well when we reached Durban months after leaving Loch Ewe in 1943. Eric

gray_marian
31st July 2014, 09:54 PM
#7 'Lime Juice! Its a refreshing drink in the Summer!' Add vodka & gingerbeer Doc and you have my favourite cocktail...Moscow Mule;)

Doc Vernon
31st July 2014, 09:57 PM
Funny that Eric
I have heard of that .but I must say that with all the Lime Juice I drank and believe me it was a lot,i never had any problems in that department at all!
Possibly a very strong constitution??
Used to love a dash of Lime with a Lager Beer!
Cheers

PS Marian I also used to drink Vodka Lime and Lemonade! That was lovely!

gray_marian
31st July 2014, 09:59 PM
#3,' but cannot remember the brand' Ahh John.......,T'was that good eh;)

Doc Vernon
31st July 2014, 10:12 PM
#3,' but cannot remember the brand' Ahh John.......,T'was that good eh;)

May have been the good Captain Morgan Rum!
Cheers

Richard Quartermaine
31st July 2014, 10:44 PM
You must have overlooked the fine print to add a couple of pinches of plaster of paris seven days before docking Eric.
Richard

Charlie Hannah
1st August 2014, 01:58 AM
Elder dempsters used to issue a shot of rum every day,a day after las Palmas outward bound and stopped a day before Las Palmas homeward bound,I heard years ago it was issued a the bequest of an elderly lady passenger who travelled reguarly with EDs, as a thank you to the crew who manned the ships.The day the cash ran ot sometime in the 60s the tight fisted shipowner put the stopper on it.Good by to the TOT.R.I.P

Dennis McGuckin
1st August 2014, 02:45 PM
Eric,
Had the same effect on me.
First trip to sea on the Warwick Castle.
I drank gallons of the stuff.
Wondered why all hands were running ashore with their sub in one hand, and 'something' else in the other.
Never touched the stuff from that day on!!

j.sabourn
2nd August 2014, 09:39 AM
Rum... The year I was on Tankers the old man used to give me 3 bottles rum out of the bond for tots. After tank cleaning. Dont know if he expected me to stand there and give out or not. Used to give to the Bosun to give out. Knew some didnt drink and was no need for their share to stay in bottle. JS

Keith Tindell
2nd August 2014, 12:36 PM
I think I posted before on the subject of rum tots, a couple of the trampers I was on gave a rum tot out once a week at sea,definitely not for any particular job done, for the life of me I cannot recall which ships they were" but this would have been circa 1960. KT

eric fisher
2nd August 2014, 02:36 PM
That's where we got the term 'Limey' from the Yankees. It was issued as you say from BoT. and it did the job. Never, ever used it again, stayed with beer and whisky, still do and it still doesn't adversely effect my libido!! Eric

Dennis McGuckin
2nd August 2014, 02:45 PM
Wasn't BOT Lime juice the successor of Capt Cook and others original idea of fruit to ward off scurvy.Think sauerkraut was another one. Believe that caused the odd mutiny.
Not surprised there!!

eric fisher
2nd August 2014, 03:29 PM
There's always an 'upside' as well as a 'downside' to most things in life. Term 'Limey' seems to have gone out of fashion, but surprisingly not 'Yankee'.

Ivan Cloherty
2nd August 2014, 04:29 PM
There's always an 'upside' as well as a 'downside' to most things in life. Term 'Limey' seems to have gone out of fashion, but surprisingly not 'Yankee'.

Eric, I don't mind being called a 'Limey' and some Americans are not offended by being called a Yankee, witness the song 'I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandie' no doubt the PC brigade will be offended on our behalf!

eric fisher
2nd August 2014, 04:38 PM
Ivan, I never did mind it either. Ups and Downs of course refers to the effects of lime juice.

Dennis McGuckin
2nd August 2014, 06:03 PM
Getting off topic here.
I'm sure our OZ friends can tell me where the term Pommy [baskets] came from?

Ron B Manderson
2nd August 2014, 06:13 PM
I remember while in the RNR we were in a floating dock in Rosyth
Every day we had to go to HMS Duncansbayhead to get our tot.
There was the three gold strips handing it out .
The tot was 1of rum 3 of water for us lower plebs.
After I drank mine the you lad with me drank 1/2 of his then tried to pass the other 1/2 to me saying " I can't finish all this "
The look I got from the three ringer could kill.
Touch that if you dare.
After that we were about to return to our mineswepper when another two ringer popped his head out a cabin and asked us if we were on Operation delta.
"Oh yes sir" Shut up young one
Well you will be wanting your free ciggie ration.
200 of the old blue line RN ciggies.

So as they say" LOSE A HALF GAIN, A FULL RATION."
Ron the batcave

cappy
2nd August 2014, 07:15 PM
Getting off topic here.
I'm sure our OZ friends can tell me where the term Pommy [baskets] came from?####dennis i was alwayys told it was p o m e......prisoner of mother england....regards cappy

j.sabourn
3rd August 2014, 04:01 AM
#23... Denis the baskets were what they put the pomegrants in. Pomegrants referring to the red faced Englishman. Believe that and you"ll believe anything. Cheers John S