PDA

View Full Version : South Shields Marine & Tech 1965 - 1975 Reunion

lennyhenry
26th April 2014, 01:45 PM
Hi.

Various attendees of South Shields Marine & Technical College, Senior Marine Deck and Engineering Courses, 1965-1975, where considering having a reunion in South Shields towards the end of June. However, bearing in mind the number of people who attended these courses and that they could be scattered to destinations allover the world would like if possible an indication of the numbers who would consider this a good idea possibly attend. Please could you and anyone who you may be interested please reply to this thread.

John Arton
26th April 2014, 07:57 PM
Did all my tickets at Shields ending in 81
Live locally so would attend
rgds
JA

j.sabourn
27th April 2014, 04:04 AM
Only did 2 terms of a pre sea course(52), and Masters at South Shields left at end of 63. No doubt there will be people there that I used to know. Am sure wll finish up with the yards of ale or something similar. Cheers all the best. John S

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

Ref. Re-Union if Rob goes beware beleive he drinks a fathom of ale. JS

Doc Vernon
27th April 2014, 04:08 AM
Hello Lenny
Thank you for joining this site and also for your first post above concerning a reunion !
Already there seems to be a possible two ,which at least starts the Ball rolling!

I am sure given a wee bit of time there will be more that will join in here!
I hope that in time you will get a good band of Lads to attend that reunion!

Good Luck and hope that it will turn out to be a wonderful Meet!
All the best
Doc

robpage
27th April 2014, 04:17 AM
I never did a Senior Marine Course there , I left South Shields with an ONC and 2nd Engineer's Part A , I did all my certificates. At Southampton , I was a married man by then and my late wife was a Southampton girl , which meant that my times on Passenger ships was less challenging than many of the regulars , so I went to Southampton College , now Solent , for Second Engineer Certificate of competency in 1974 for Steam 1976 for Chief Engineer Steam and 1977 for Motor Endorsement , which by then was First Class / Class 1 . So never a senior student at South Tyneside . Yards of Ale night was a Wednesday at the Latino , but as a cadet I could only afford 6" of Ale

j.sabourn
27th April 2014, 04:26 AM
No reason you shouldnt attend Rob and entertain them now with a fathom of ale. Who knows Cappy might release some of his girls for the big night. Although there might be a cover charge for same, as he will probably be expecting them back in the manner they were sent...Knackered. Cheers John S

robpage
27th April 2014, 04:29 AM
I'm not covering any of his women from the old Ferry Tavern or the Mechanics , the one legged , squinty eyed one was the prettiest , and she had two of her own teeth , and only half the facial Warts .

j.sabourn
27th April 2014, 04:35 AM
Talking about Southhampton did an Inert Gas Course there in the early 70"s. A crowd of us were staying at some Motel. I found an incriminating Document left behind in a phone booth at the Motel. Phoned the police and the heavy squad arrived about 0200 hrs. dragged everyone out of bed except me. Next day everyone was asking what idiot called the police. I kept mum. Shortly after a bomb factory was unearthed in Southhampton, and I never heard no more. Think I have put this post up before. Most doing this course were Supers, I went as our super didnt want to go and I had to give a written account of the Inert System to see if they were going to invest in or not. We were also taken out at night to the Restaurant that the Fiddle Player frequented ( Ted Heath). Cheers John S

robpage
27th April 2014, 04:39 AM
The motel you refer to was at Bursledon and is now the site of a huge Tesco's hypermarket , the restaurant in nearby Swanwick , I did the Tanker Safety course and the advanced fire course at Warsash too , and never went back on tankers once I had the dangerous cargo endorsement , just ferries with hundreds of vehicles with fuel tanks on the car deck .

j.sabourn
27th April 2014, 04:53 AM
The actual course I did was at the motel itself and the restaurant was down on the waterfront, it was a manufacturers course. The bloke doing most of the talking had a bit of a stutter, and remember thinking there but for the grace of God go I. He was an ex Army Captain with the DFC. Being an inquisitive basket with no fear I says to him, how does an Army Captain get an Air Force Decoration. He said to me he was a member of the Observers Corps, and had been a plane spotter for the big artillery weapons during the Korean war. I could and still can put on a posh accent not like Cappy who always slips back into broad Geordie under a bit of pressure from his favourite one legged Mary with the facial hair. Cheers John S

cappy
27th April 2014, 07:51 AM
I'm not covering any of his women from the old Ferry Tavern or the Mechanics , the one legged , squinty eyed one was the prettiest , and she had two of her own teeth , and only half the facial Warts .####see you new her intimately then .....warts and all