PDA

View Full Version : Use of Met. Office Volunteer Observers Logs UN IPCC

Laurie Ridyard
20th April 2014, 10:09 PM
We are constantly reading of reports from the UN IPCC of impending disaster, because of " Anthropogenic Global Warming"( AGW or CAGW). Our coasts etc. are implanted with useless tax- payer subsidised" Wind Farms" and our Electricity etc. bills are soaring because of EU directives based on these reports.

The basis of these CAGW claims is research carried out by the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit (UEA.CRU) resulting in a " Graph of Global Temperatures since 1850" called HADCRUT - see http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/HadCRUT4.png.

Before I go any further , I would like to hear from any Mate/ Deck Officer/ Apprentice/ Cadet who carried out observations, stating what was the commonest method of taking Sea Surface Temperatures.(SSTs)

I am sure , with what I have to say, all will be outraged.

Laurie Ridyard.

j.sabourn
21st April 2014, 12:10 AM
On Weather reporting to the Met. office on all ships I was on sea temperatures were taken by the bucket over the side method, the bucket supplied by the met. office being a long narrow shape consructed of some rubber material and wide enough to take the thermometer which used to be dropped in. This beleive mentioned in a previous post. JS

Laurie Ridyard
21st April 2014, 08:33 AM
J.Sabourn.

Thank you for your response!

When in rough weather, did you get the temp. from the ER Intake ?

Regards,

Laurie.

Ivan Cloherty
21st April 2014, 09:04 AM
.....When in rough weather, did you get the temp. from the ER Intake ?

Definitely not allowed on any ships I sailed on, would have been meaningless, when in the era of taking these samples, bad weather was just something that real seamen coped with and was rarely an excuse for not doing something, except of course chipping and painting on the main deck, but the mate/bosun would find you some chipping duties on another deck, bad weather rarely interfered with shipboard duties and bad weather readings were just as important, if not more so than fair weather ones

j.sabourn
21st April 2014, 09:06 AM
#3... That was the easy way to do. Dont know what the other watchkeepers did, I always took with the bucket as advised. Cheers John S

John Arton
21st April 2014, 09:49 AM
In the time I spent deep sea (22 yrs) with the Canadian Pacific, all the ships I was on were weather reporting ships sending 4 hourly observations off to Bracknell. The biggest moaners were the sparkies who had to transmit the encoded reports by morse.
The rubber bucket supplied by the met. office had a lead weight enclosed in the bottom of it to make it sink and if I recall correctly the instructions from the met. office were to allow it to sink to a depth of at least 6 feet before retrieving it. With its lead weight it could be quite a lethal weapon in a gale if it got caught by the wind and blown back into you. In bad weather with the ship rolling it was often prudent to take the sea water temperature from a sheltered area on a lower deck rather than the bridge wing.
On observing ships the met. office also supplied you with a recording aneroid barometer as there was a code for not only recording the pressure but whether it was rsing or falling.
The met. log book along with the paper record charts from the barometer were sent off regularly to Bracknell and in the Marine Observers booklet, published quarterly, there was a section at the back that listed all the ships with the number of observations they had sent in and from which part of the world they were from. Annually the met. office would present an engraved Barometer to the Captain of the ship that had sent in the most records over the year.
You were also encouraged to send in reports, with photos, of any phenomenon such as water spouts, rainbows, sightings of whales, strange cloud formations, sudden and large drops or rises in pressure as storms passed over, etc. and these would be published in the said journal.
On the North Atlantic run with C.P. one ship I was on actually got fitted with a dedicated telex machine that you could type in the codes and it automatically sent the coded info. off to Bracknell. Another ship I was on (C.P. Ambassador ex. Dart Atlantic) actually had a special weather container fitted and we carried a qualified Metrological Officer who used to release weather balloons at 2 hourly intervals through a special hatch on the top of the container. These were fitted with radio transmitters that sent back to the container air temp. and pressure continuously as they rose up into the upper atmosphere. This was part of a special study into the atmospheric conditions of the North Atlantic.
Strangely enough, although we were U.K. registered the met. men came from the Finnish metrological body and when they found out that vodka was available on board, well the amount they consumed was incredible. There were two of them rotating two trips on two trips off and one of them had to be on the verge of alcoholism even missing the ship sailing in Montreal once and having to be taxied down to Escoumains to join the ship when we dropped the pilot off. The sister ship, with a Hong Kong registry was similarly fitted but there weather men came from Bracknell.
The ships observations must have been going from the pre WW2 days as my fathers death is actually mentioned in the Marine Observers log saying that his name had appeared in log books since well before the start of WW2.
Coastal shipping were encouraged to send in an abbreviated version of the reports consisting of sea temp. and pressure along with sea and weather conditions as far as I can recall but I guess few did as I don't think that they were required to send these reports via radio, just that the regularly sent off the log books for examination by met. officers at Bracknell.
All in all when deep sea doing met. reports was an enjoyable break from the monotony of watch keeping and getting the sparky out of bed to send the 2400 obs. was quite fun. Obs. were taken every 4 hrs. using ships time and part of the coded reports gave the ships time difference to GMT.
rgds
JA

cappy
21st April 2014, 10:02 AM
going from oz to japansaw a large area of sea perhaps half a mile across bubbling and steam flying off .....we took a hardturn away all hands coming to have a look i think it was an island being born from anundersea volcano ....a bit scary to see .....regards cappy that was 61

robpage
21st April 2014, 05:27 PM
The SS Maid of Kent had a sample cock and thermo,meter built into the side , in the engine room , used to take two or three on way to Cherbourg and back

j.sabourn
21st April 2014, 10:49 PM
Rob has Cappy not asked yet what ship the Maid of kent mated with, very unusual for a Maid to be so endowed, was she one of these duo sexed ships. JS

robpage
22nd April 2014, 03:48 AM
"SS Maid of Kent " was the only ship that I sailed on that had it's own fan club , started when she was on the Dover run . These club members used to follow it around and do away days on it ,Quite an unusual ship in many ways , but a lovely old traditional Steamer . The Weymouth local crew doing one trip a day used to work eight to eight and get the bus home at night . We worked one of those days on two off , so actually did a twenty four hour week . On the crew roster I was on we burned fuel like it was free but always docked early at before seven . Our captain was always on the six minutes past seven bus home , he was a Coronation Street fan and had to be home on time , cost an extra tonne of fuel though . Those ferry days were another World

Captain Kong
23rd April 2014, 03:34 PM
When I was with ESSO we did the weather reporting every six hours, running round the Cape to the Gulf and Pacific,
Wind speed and direction, sea state, sea temp, from E.R. and air temp wet and dry. types of clouds,
any phenominal sightings, all to be sent to Bracknel every six hours, also I caught some Locusts in the Red Sea, these just fitted in a empty 20 cig packet and posted off to them with weather conditions . Lat and Long etc.
even Bird sightings, types and direction of flight and so on.and many other things.
Cheers
Brian.

Laurie Ridyard
23rd April 2014, 04:30 PM
Thank you. Brian.

When was this?

Did you never use the sea temp. bucket?

Was the temp reported degrees C or degrees F ? Did you record to the nearest degree? I cannot remember.

Regards

Laurie.

Chris Isaac
23rd April 2014, 04:58 PM
In bad weather we used to dangle a cadet over the side with him holding a thermometer.
Ships always carried spare cadets but were seldom equipped with a spare bucket.

Ivan Cloherty
23rd April 2014, 06:26 PM
In bad weather we used to dangle a cadet over the side with him holding a thermometer.
Ships always carried spare cadets but were seldom equipped with a spare bucket.

Sounds about right Chris, ships I sailed on the cadets were cheaper than a bucket, can't imagine them being spare though, as C/O would lose all that chipping power.

Captain Kong
23rd April 2014, 07:17 PM
Hi Laurie,
this was in the 70s and 80s, I never saw a bucket for water temps,too far down from the bridge deck to sea level, six decks, I guess when we were light ship. No cadets on watch to send down.
Temps were all in F, then late 70s onwards in C. the same as doing oil calculations. at that time.
I remember in Cunard the sea temp in the 1950s was always from the engine room every hour when we were in the vicinity of the Labrador current, , it helped with navigation so we knew when we were in the Gulf stream and then suddenly in the ice cold temperature of the Labrador Current, The temp would fall dramatically in minutes.
very handy when no sights all the way from Liverpool to New York run and Canada.
Hope this helps,
Cheers
Brian.

Philip John Gadd
11th November 2014, 10:26 PM
I sailed as an apprentice with Bristol City Line on the North Atlantic route in the 60's. It fell to us to take the weather obs and I remember it being very interesting taking the sea temperature from the bridge wing with the small bucket supplied by the met office. Also the air temperature and humidity had to be read from a box on the monkey island.

Peter Jackson
5th November 2017, 02:54 PM
after 46 years at sea and, as I recall, at least 35 on Met Voluntary ships, the method of taking sea temperature with the supplied rubber bucket was akin to taking a hand-lead sounding.
Lower to just above the water, start to swing and then release during forward motion thus ensuring it was under the actual disturbed surface where otherwise, it could drag along picking up breaking ship's wake. Certainly this was approved by the Met Office when we were asked to send in sea temperatures to check against satellite observations then being new. Always from the bridge wing except in very inclement weather when taken from the main deck.

happy daze john in oz
6th November 2017, 05:35 AM
I find it quite amazing when I hear that NASA has produced the latest figures on global temperatures and warming.
All these taken rom space and they claim show the earth is warming.

That may be the case but when they say it is the warmest on record, what period are they speaking of.

NASA if I read it correctly has only been around since about 1950.

Hardly time to collect any meaningfull records.

Laurie Ridyard
23rd May 2018, 07:48 AM
Just read your post .

NASA started in 1958 and UEA.CRU in 1971.

NASA started recording Temps. via satellite from 1979, but like UEA.CRU they used historical records prior to that date.

The first recorded claim that " change of climate " was causing Arctic sea ice to disappear dates back 200 years 6 months and 3 days ago !!!

If you want more info on this great science scam , see the School of Copatology on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/studycowpatology/

ATB

Laurie.

Captain Kong
23rd May 2018, 09:41 AM
Re: Metrological subject.
Last year I was sailing from Tahiti to San Diego, and just before the equator I was sat on deck and above was a clear blue sky.
Not a cloud anywhere,
Then a whisp of cloud appeared, and another and then more and it spelt my surname, Capital A and then the rest in lower case, spelt perfectly. I shouted to the people around me, `That Is My Name``. One man said `You are on next , your being called up.`
the name stayed there for over ten minutes and then slowly faded away and back to a blue sky.
It was amazing.
The following day I was sat in the same deck chair, under a cloudless blue sky, then a whisp of cloud appeared and slowly spelt the word, `Son`. the same people saw it again, it then slowly disappeared and then just a clear blue sky.
Again I was amazed. but then scared. I thought .... I am a son. so are my sons, also my brothers, why was my surname in the sky.
not long after I arrived home,, my brother died.
So was that a "Text" from above???
I got a piece of sky blue cloth, and with a salt cellar sprinkled sal on it to make it look like whisps of cloud and reproduced the writing in the sky, I took a photo and then sent it to the Met Office, asking if they had other reports of similar events.
Explaining that it was not a crank report as I was a responsible man who was also a weather reporter when I was a Navigation Officer, so I knew what I was doing.
They answered and just said . "Without a photo of it we cannot comment."

So was it a Text from above,?? has anyone else seen anything similar??
Cheers
Brian

Below, I have reproduced it as close aspossible.

j.sabourn
23rd May 2018, 09:56 AM
Brian if that had happened to me with 3/9 after it I would have looked around for Cappy.

Colin Wood
24th May 2018, 06:44 AM
Always used a canvas bucket, and standard thermometer.

j.sabourn
24th May 2018, 07:44 AM
We used whatever the met office supplied usually rubber or canvas. Taking sea water temperatures via engine room inlets defeated the purpose of the sea temperature in many instances as were too near the engine room discharges and your temps. were not accurate. Also the met office usually stipulated at what depth they wanted the sea temperature. Thinking back the radio reports were sent in coded 5 letter groups . Think your readings for humidity taking from your wet and dry bulb thermometers in the The Stevenson screen was already converted by the sender into a figure for relative or absolute humidity and sent as such and not the readings of both thermometers, but may be wrong is that long ago. Your barograph reading can’t remember how that was sent. Your barometer reading was sent with the corrections applied. The rubber designed bucket was not a bucket in the descriptive sense but a rubber tube which accepted the thermometer upright, similar to the canvas one which was specially constructed , for those not aware, the question should be when is a bucket not a bucket, answer when it is a meteorological one. Cheers JWS. Ps there’s no hole in my bucket dear Liza dear Liza. JS

j.sabourn
24th May 2018, 09:32 AM
One thing about the rubber generation Davey, were always resilient and came bouncing back. Were the forefathers of Dunlop. Hope when you got everyone in the lifeboat you charged them their entry fee of their cabin key, on the off chance of getting back on board after that big thunderstorm you had been forecasting for weeks put out the fire that Cappy started by smoking in his bunk.JWS

j.sabourn
24th May 2018, 01:12 PM
I take it then that you weren’t one of the chosen few to be awarded the met offices reward for bravery and conscientious duty in the face of the enemy the salt water then, those barographs are :very uncomfortable when pinned on ones chest and certainly restrict ones movements in:bed when involved with those latex dolls. Those were the days my friend I thought they’d never end. Anyone these days can be a weather forecaster all you have to learn to say is. Climate Change,, and everyone scuttles around before they are struck by forked lightening. Cheers and hope the sun shines tomorrow. JS.

vic mcclymont
24th May 2018, 06:18 PM
Amazing, I never realised what interesting job you deckies had, hauling buckets of seawater onboard every four hours, and sticking a thermometer into said liquid.
There was us stuck in the engine room, doing our best to keep the seawater in check, and you lot up above were hauling it in by the bucket load, all supposedly in the interest of science.
Vic

Keith Tindell
24th May 2018, 06:50 PM
you were busy building those cement boxes Vic, never knew anything about those !!!, kt

j.sabourn
24th May 2018, 10:01 PM
#30 The latex dolls were a misprint what I should have said was buckets , this is what happens when one gets older, our minds wander to all the lost opportunity’s of youth. Yes the old weather report would have been so much easier if you could just send one in with the information like , It’s raining without having to put into code the relative humidity and all the fancy Language like Dew point , which sounds like a message regarding ones ETA which again sounds like that creature from a far flung galaxy. As regards sick men at sea, I used to prefer it when the Ch. Stwd took over the role of nurse and the keys to the medical cabinet, was averse to sticking needles into the right hand upper quadrant of the right buttock, wouldn’t have been so bad if it had been the left, would have been more politically even. Ah well enough about weather we have always discussed it and whether she will or whether she won’t, see we always digress to other subjects so this may not reach you. Cheers JWS...PS please note the word volunteers refers to someone else volunteering ones services , one never did volunteer for anything at sea unless it was to take someone else’s tot for him. JWS

happy daze john in oz
25th May 2018, 05:11 AM
What is going on in UK.

We had the London correspondent on radio this morning and what he told us was just as hilarious as it was frightening.

The British public are to be encouraged to shower not bathe as by 2030 there will be a water shortage in UK despite all the rain fall.

Air fresheners should only be used in rooms with the windows open as the propellant could cause medical problems to the user.
Some years ago it was the Ozone layer they were worried about.

Wood burning fires should be fazed out as they put carbon into the air.
Guess we will, along with other countries, stop bush fires.

Diesel, a few years ago the public were encouraged to take it up, now they want to ban it.

But on a more positive side, both the UK and now the EU want to begin talks with Oz on a free trade agreement.

Funny times we live in.

Keith Tindell
25th May 2018, 06:26 AM
The answer to the above John is dopey politicians, bum and elbow come to mind, kt

j.sabourn
25th May 2018, 06:35 AM
You mean they actually bend their bum and. Wipe their elbow. ? JWS