PDA

View Full Version : A Pound A Pint.

Jim Brady
30th March 2014, 09:02 AM
The first pound a pint pub could be opening shortly in Liverpool already the nanny state brigade are telling us why it is bad for us,not about people getting a good deal.
Regards.
Jim.B.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyside-line-first-1-pint-6894191

Louis the Amigo
30th March 2014, 09:15 AM
Hi shipmates, The pound a pint pubs ? Pubs and clubs have been closing at the rate of 12 a week, for the last few years, Maybe the pound a pint will stopped this happening or only the pound pubs will still be open if the others dont follow them. Bar prices in Cardiff average 2.75+ The pubs make most profit from food....

Keith Tindell
30th March 2014, 09:33 AM
I paid 3.50 for a pint of ordinary bitter in a pub 2 weeks ago when out for a meal. Its a good job i am not capable of pi**ing it up like i did in my youth, i would be stony broke in a dinner time KT

John Arton
30th March 2014, 09:49 AM
Jim
Your pound a pint pub must be part of a chain as there is one opening in Darlington shortly. Locals are up in arms as they say it detracts from the modernisation of the town centre with its new development nearing completion......obviously non drinkers.
Still have a number of pubs round here where John Smiths, Tetley's are 2 a pint. Don't know how much they charge in the working men's clubs as haven't been in one for years .
rgds
JA

cappy
30th March 2014, 10:10 AM
I paid 3.50 for a pint of ordinary bitter in a pub 2 weeks ago when out for a meal. Its a good job i am not capable of pi**ing it up like i did in my youth, i would be stony broke in a dinner time KT########getting a freebie today daughter taking pat and me out for mothers day ........come to think of it havnt seen mothers day mentioned on the site......regards a happy cappy

alf corbyn
30th March 2014, 10:11 AM
i haven't been in a pub for years, couldn't stand the sport on the tele, or the tele.last time i had a pint was at the southern meet. if you keep paying cameron will kep putting the tax on.
brew your own! its a lot cheaper, a lot stronger and it tastes better. if you boycott the pubs and have parties at home, swop house parties, you will have a better time, and you can smoke. if this leads to your less tele viewing you might even get the licence dropped.

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 10:54 AM
Poundland and Pound Bakery — now get ready for PoundPub:

The pubs will cut their overheads to reduce the cost of the beer and there would be no Sky Sports subscription.

Sounds good to me.

K.

Captain Kong
30th March 2014, 11:04 AM
I stopped going into my local pub, My mate Fred, and I could not enjoy a good conversation because of a big TV, a crowd of idiots all screaming like tortured banshees because some lad is kicking a ball. How bleddy daft. I am glad I am not a football fan because I would have to behave like them.
A pub without a Sports TV is worth a couple of bob extra for the peace.
Cheers
Brian.

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 11:09 AM
Apparently they would would seek to attract moderate daytime drinkers with a combination of traditional pub games and heavily discounted brands such as Fosters, John Smith’s, Strongbow and Theakston cask ales and no sport TV.

K.

Jim Brady
30th March 2014, 11:19 AM
My local that I drink in during the week does not have football on a Sunday,Hooray you may say but the football is replaced by Karaoke with it being so loud it is worse than the footie.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Louis the Amigo
30th March 2014, 12:24 PM
Hi shipmates, sport on T.V in pubs makes money for the Land-lords and brewery, Sky sport make a very nice earn, cost a lot to have in it a pub, gone are the days when you could talk in peace, music in all them? all sometimes live? old time spit and saw dust pubs have long gone, The only past-time allowed in the pub today is what makes money....

john gill
30th March 2014, 12:48 PM
I shall shortly, along with my wife, be visiting my local to watch the Liverpool v Spurs game, bit of a Mothering Sunday treat. All our children live light years away so I am in 'Loco Famile' The beer is i.89 a pint (tetleys). Downside is, I reside in what is largely a Man United stronghold and I shall expect to see lots of Tottenham supporters cheering their team on. Hopefully the better side will triumph and we emerge unscathed to enjoy a late Sunday Lunch.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

My local that I drink in during the week does not have football on a Sunday,Hooray you may say but the football is replaced by Karaoke with it being so loud it is worse than the footie.
Regards.
Jim.B.

keep practising Jim- you should be in fine voice to entertain us all at the next P&W Meetup.

Ivan Cloherty
30th March 2014, 04:52 PM
.......come to think of it havnt seen mothers day mentioned on the site......regards a happy cappy

Well Cappy doubt whether many of our mothers are alive, as we are considered old codgers ourselves

Jim Brady
30th March 2014, 05:58 PM
I was never off the karaoke John better than Sinatra doing "My Way" I was told,now with thw asthma I'm more like Donald Duck on a bad day.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 06:03 PM
Jim, when I get that way, lend us a pound and I'll buy you a pint. K

Colin Hawken
30th March 2014, 06:08 PM
Get it organised before I get there at the end of May,Jim.:D:D

vic mcclymont
30th March 2014, 07:32 PM
If you look at rationally a pint is overpriced.
The average UK price is about 3-50 give or take a bit, which works out at 28 a gallon.
A gallon of petrol is about 6-50, look at the investment required to bring the stuff to us:-
Oil rigs.
tankers
refinery.
It cost billions to bring petrol to us beer,
Beer doesn't cost as much but why is it so expensive?

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 07:55 PM

Take it up with your MP.

The answer is tax, pound a pint will not go down well with No 10.

But they did give a penny towards beer in the Budget.

K.

John Callon
30th March 2014, 09:26 PM
A good friend of mine on the Isle of Man opened up a pub in Douglas called Quids Inn. Everything he sold cost a pound whether it be a pint, spirits, wine or minerals. This was back in the mid 1990's. However in order to enter the pub you had to put a pound coin in a turnstyle which he had installed. This allowed one person to enter and each subsequent person also had to pay a pound. So in effect your first drink cost you 2 and then every drink thereafter was a 1. I have to say he did a roaring trade, and only opened in the evenings at 5pm.
The last time I was over on the island he was still in business although he had to increase the prices of some of the beverages due to increases by the breweries and excise duty increases. Having said that I will try and find out how he is doing and what prices he is charging now.
Regards
John

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 09:36 PM
Would be interested to know more, thanks K.

robpage
30th March 2014, 09:52 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 10:07 PM
The first pound a pint pub could be opening shortly in Liverpool already the nanny state brigade are telling us why it is bad for us,not about people getting a good deal.
Regards.
Jim.B.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyside-line-first-1-pint-6894191

Interested in knowing more, not just what a Google search throws up. The internet will provide the answer you seek, think a bit more: Garbage in, garbage out: remains the same. I try to look at all sides and out side the box if need be.

One reason if not my own view and found in a search, generally add an intro and a link: Hopefully, this explains, yes I looked, not my own info but found: ALL AT LINK PROVIDED.

Did think before, the poster was some kind of genius, but all that should have been quoted was just from Wickapedia etc.

I have my reasons for mentioning this now and not before, doubt if I will publish all.

K.

Don Rafferty
30th March 2014, 10:15 PM
Quids Inn Douglas: http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/the-isle-of-man/business-guide/feature/quids-inn

.........and Coventry: http://conquering-coventry.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/one-good-one-not-so-good-place-to-drink.html

John Callon
30th March 2014, 10:35 PM
Ref Post #22. I sincerely hope you are not referring to me when you state "the poster was some kind of genius"
because if you are lets get one thing staright mister, I am getting fed up to the back teeth at some of the crap you have written on here. It was not so long ago that you spent an entire evening insulting me constantly, in the end I had to ask Vernon to delete all of your posts which he did. For the record I was drinking in Quids Inn before Wickpedia was even heard of. Get your facts straight.

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 10:50 PM
Ref Post #22. I sincerely hope you are not referring to me when you state "the poster was some kind of genius"
because if you are lets get one thing staright mister, I am getting fed up to the back teeth at some of the crap you have written on here. It was not so long ago that you spent an entire evening insulting me constantly, in the end I had to ask Vernon to delete all of your posts which he did. For the record I was drinking in Quids Inn before Wickpedia was even heard of. Get your facts straight.

You really have some kind of a problem that I am not aware of mister ? If I ever generalised will add the name, yours was never mentioned. Guess you feel guilty about something, never came from me. K.

- - - Updated - - -

From the above, possibly one reason why cheap beer may not be a good idea: For some ?

K.

John Callon
30th March 2014, 10:57 PM
You have no need to know of any problem that I may have. Perhaps you would like to explain exactly what you mean in your post. Cheap beer. Try a shandy.

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=John Callon;163528]You have no need to know of any problem that I may have. QUOTE]

At least you acknowledge that you do have one.

Your personal attacks will only ever result in a similar reply.

I would shake and make up, but doubt your willing to do the same.

Whatever your problem was last time, seems to remain.

I moved on minutes later, what ever the hang up, it is yours.

RE: Perhaps you would like to explain exactly what you mean in your post. Cheap beer. Beer at low cost ?

Perhaps you will explain what your problems is ?

Not that I am bothered by trite.

K.

j.sabourn
30th March 2014, 11:11 PM
There were a group of Ale houses over the NE cant remember their name right now. Cheapest beer around, was between 1 and 2 pounds, may have been close to a pound during happy hour. This was last June and July.Also did meals. Seemed very popular. JS

Keith at Tregenna
30th March 2014, 11:56 PM
John: Am off to kip, last time you dished it out or tried to, took it as banter, you were out bantered and lost. No malice on my side, something deep rooted on yours. Hate to see grown men cry. Will end this here, lest you persist.

All the best. K.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Not on your Nelly, genius ? I await your apology for all your slurs. K.

Lou Barron
30th March 2014, 11:57 PM
Sorry Alf post 6 I pressed the dislike wrong button I quiet agree making your own beer is good as long as you have plenty of time and do not have sons like have drinking it as long as you a brewing it I gave up

happy daze john in oz
31st March 2014, 05:49 AM
I stopped going into my local pub, My mate Fred, and I could not enjoy a good conversation because of a big TV, a crowd of idiots all screaming like tortured banshees because some lad is kicking a ball. How bleddy daft. I am glad I am not a football fan because I would have to behave like them.
A pub without a Sports TV is worth a couple of bob extra for the peace.
Cheers
Brian.

Maybe ask your neighbor if he knows a quiet pub Brian.

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at rationally a pint is overpriced.
The average UK price is about 3-50 give or take a bit, which works out at 28 a gallon.
A gallon of petrol is about 6-50, look at the investment required to bring the stuff to us:-
Oil rigs.
tankers
refinery.
It cost billions to bring petrol to us beer,

Two things here, firstly I prefer drinking beer to petrol, secondly the tax on beer is way over thta on fuel.

- - - Updated - - -

Good on ya mate.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Just a thought Jim, but if they can now produce a pint for one pound that mean that for years you have been ripped off over all these years?

Jim Brady
31st March 2014, 07:53 AM
Talking of 1.00 a pint I think a certain individual on here should stick to milk,or keep off whatever else he may be on.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
31st March 2014, 08:15 AM
Rob, My brother started to home brew his own Ale, a member of CAMRA, it was good and cheap, so he got him self a brewery expanded into a big one. he had packed up the sea and from a Master Mariner became a Master Brewer.
He sold hs ales to a lot of pubs around Mersyside, the North West, from the Lakes to Shropshire.
A Cardboard Carton , Party Pack, cost 30 for 32 pints. I alway took one to the Vindicatrix Reunions,
Then last year another big Merseyside Brewery took him over and bought him out, big lump sum and keeping his name for five years and paying him for five years. Now he is laughing all the way to the bank.
So making home brew sometimes has its rewards.
Good ale too.
ASPINALLS CAMBRINOUS CRAFT BREWERY. ....not sure how much a pint it is sold in Pubs now.
Cheers
Brian.