kenilworth castlex2
rochester castle
cheers.alf:D:D

Geoff Anderson
18th July 2008, 10:32 AM
hi alf., i was on the rochester castle 1967

sailor63
19th July 2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Alf,I idid the Kenilworth just before they scrapped her, 2 trips round Africa. one from U.K. eastwards and instead of back to U.K. went to Genoa, Discharged and went back out again from west to east!! July 66 to march 67. cheers, colin. K.

George
22nd July 2008, 07:44 PM
refer post#1

Alf mate when were you on the Edinburgh I was on her 5 trips 1/10/58 to 26/6/59 Four trips as Laundry Boy two trips as Saloon Boy Regards George in Southampton ;)

Doric
24th July 2008, 11:13 AM
from 1950 to 1959, I sailed as Elect.Engr. on :-

Doric.
Dominion Monarch.
Wairangi.
Taranaki.
Gothic ( inluding Royal Commonwealth Tour ).
Waiwera.
Suevic.
Triaster.
Triadic.

Regards, Terence Williams.

John Aspin
24th July 2008, 08:16 PM
:DMy ships were as follows:
"SS Georgidore"
"MV London Prestige"
"MV Overseas Courier"
"MV Overseas Adventurer"
Just wish there could have been a lot more.
best wishes to all,:mad:
John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough.

Doc Vernon
24th July 2008, 09:53 PM
refer post #6

Similar to you John A i also never had too many Ships,but for what its worth heres my Pennies worth!

Dunnottar Castle
Sterling Castle
Winchester Castle
Warwick Castle

Cheers
Vernon:)

George
24th July 2008, 10:10 PM
refer post#7

Hi Vernon when were you on the Sterling Castle done 5 trips on her 14/12/60 to 27/1/61 then again 25/7/61 to 23/2/63 Regards George in Southampton :):)

Doc Vernon
25th July 2008, 12:10 AM
refer post#8

Hi George
A bit before you was on her 3 trips Tourist Class asst/stwd
1) 27th Aug 1958 to 10th Oct 1958

2)22nd Oct 1958 to 5th Dec 1958

3) 17th Dec 1958 to 6th Jan 1959

Cheers
Vernon:)

Addition

PS George i was just wondering if the Second Steward Fairbrother was stiil there when you were,as it wasnt too long after me!
Cant recall his first name ,but a real nice Guy to work with,unlike some of the others ,he was quite Tall and slim,and always had a smile !
Cheers
Vernon

cressy
25th July 2008, 05:51 AM
Hi alf, I was on the Warwick Castle as QM in 1961. Great ship & good trip.
Keep smiling:) Micky Cress:

Doc Vernon
25th July 2008, 06:20 AM
Hi Cressy,
Yes i too was on Warwick Round Africa in 1959 but only as asst/stwd again haha!!
As you say it was a good Ship,one i thought had a lot of good Guys aboard!
Cheers
Vernon
:D

alf corbyn
25th July 2008, 11:14 AM
hi taffy. bit late for me mate. i swallowed the anchor in 57. cheers. alf

Geoff Anderson
25th July 2008, 10:12 PM
ref post#12

hi alf, was she a rust bucket when you where on it? she was in 67. every thing was falling off. sorry to hear that you swollowed the anchor ,have you tried some DLACK DRAUGHT, that stuff will clear anything including blocked drains ha ha :D:D

alf corbyn
28th July 2008, 08:35 AM
hi lads. george. i did the maiden yoyage on the pretoria and the edinburgh castles.sailor63 did you ever come across captain brown?. he ws the captain on the kenilworth and a real gentleman.cressy. i did two on the warwick in the fifties. didn't see vernon on there either.cheers. alf:D:D

sorry about this but it was captain Black not brown alf

Doc Vernon
28th July 2008, 09:21 AM
ref post #14

Hi Alf,
I suppose as there were so many of us ,we never bumped into each other but then would i have known you or you me? Mmmm!!
Sailed only the one Trip on her out of London 15th Jan 1959.
then as you know 6 weeks on Round Africa run, back to KG5 about end Feb 59.
She was initially the old Pretoria during the War,then rebuilt in 1939.
Cheers
Vernon

Recall on that trip in early Feb one of my Idols got killed in plane crash!
Buddy HOLLY !! Big bopper and Ritchie Vallens also died with him!

Alanrae
28th July 2008, 10:30 AM
Joined the Memnon,1965,after four years at Manchester Dry Docks
Mobil Apex,Memphis,Lord Strathcona,Essex,Lanmar,Warwick Fort,Kyoto Forest,Axel Heiberg,Baknes,Gene Trefethan,Chu Fujino,Wimpey Sealion,Marcona Trader,Marcona Conveyor ,Umm Shaif,Red Sea Venture,GoGo Rover,GoGo Ranger,Marilia,Panamerica,Gothic Lady,Gulf Fleet(India),Masa,Eve,Salvor General,Tidewater Marine(West Africa,Brazil)and probably some lost in the mists of time.Alan:D

Doc Vernon
28th July 2008, 11:49 AM
ref post #16

Hi Alanrae,
Gosh mate looking at all those Ships,you make me real envious !
I really do wish(and thats honest) that i had just thought a bit harder in my young days,i was too hasty on a lot of decisions i made,which of course landed me in all sorts of Jobs all over,but really besides the RAF my Heart was always in the Sea.
But thats life i suppose,and i did in any event have a good time !!
But could have done with much more Seagoing!
Cheers,you were one of the lucky ones mate!
Vernon :D

Alanrae
28th July 2008, 12:16 PM
Enjoyed every minute of it(even if I am honest,the bad parts)good training and I wouldn't chnge a minute of it.Have a few regrets but don't we all.Alan:rolleyes:Sorry Vernon,just emerged from the fog of my memory.Aged British tramp by the name of Newport.Joined it in Copenhagen where she was discharging,sailed,light ship for Glasgow,the long way,via the English Channel(never really came to terms with the logistics,maybe some of you engine driver lookouts can enlighten me?)On charter to Harrisons(Two of fat,one of lean)main cargo Scotch(which I didn,t drink then)Down by the head with Customs and Excise,Constabulary and ships officers.Within hours our cargo was being offered for sale in the local hostelries at 3 a go,went down to 1.50 on the day we sailed.Night prior to sailing went to the telephone box,to phone the wife ,and let her know we would be in Liverpool in a day or so and found a couple of bottles of scotch where the directory would normally be.Ship was in such a state that I walked off in Liverpool,didn't see my passport for almost a year,travelled on my discharge book.
Also 15 months as senior service engineer,refurbishing Azteca class of patrol boats,Mexican navy,based in Veracruz but also covered Acapulco,talk about loco in Acapulco(Marvellous times)Alan

George
28th July 2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Alf see you swollowd the ancher year before I got started Regards George in Southampton :):)

Doc Vernon
28th July 2008, 09:33 PM
Hi George,
So you started the same year as me then 1958.
Wonder how far apart out R Numbers are! R697530 is mine!
Cheers
Vernon;)

happy daze john in oz
29th July 2008, 06:22 AM
ref post#14

G'day Alf, did my first voyage on the Pretoria, never on the Edi but good mate of mine was a cook on her for a few voyages. Not bad for sisters and had some good times on her. :)

George
29th July 2008, 09:26 PM
ref post #20

Hi Vernon sighned on the Vindy 17/3/58 to 25/4/58 1st ship MV Greenfinch 29/4/58 my No is R690926 Regards George in Southampton :):)

Doc Vernon
29th July 2008, 09:45 PM
ref post#22

Hi George,
Well you were a few Months before me,hence the quite large gap between our numbers. Amazing how many joined up,as looking at the R numbers there were nearly 7000 between us!!And thats in just a few Months!! Wow!
Cheers
Vernon

PS Dont know if you saw my post about the Jellicoe Hostel,but wonder if you have anywhere that you could assist in getting a Pic of the old place!
Frank gave me an idea,and i will try that,but possibly the Southampton Library may have something! Could you have a look one day if you are not too tied up?
Thanks
Vernon:D

happy daze john in oz
30th July 2008, 07:04 AM
Vernon mate, as I understand it the various training schools were given numbers in batches. This meant that depending which school you went to you could have a number far removed from someone who was at a school about the same time as you.:)

Doc Vernon
30th July 2008, 09:54 AM
ref post#24

Hi John,
Well that will explain it a bit,but wonder where the Numbers slotted in for us Guys that joined from S Africa,as amny who went to Sea from Cape Town those days never went to any Sea Training Svhools,so i suppose it was just the luck when you got to Southampton to have your Application done!
Cheers
Vernon:confused:

George
30th July 2008, 10:38 AM
ref post#23

Vernon will try and get that for you not sure if its still there haven't been round that area of town for donkys years Regards George in Southampton :)

Doc Vernon
30th July 2008, 11:28 PM
ref post 26

Thank you George,
Would be much oblidged if you could do something!
Cheers

This is for my Memoirs!

happy daze john in oz
31st July 2008, 06:05 AM
ref post #25

I think it was the same as the training schools. A number of numbers would be allocated to each pool so you may have a number way off some one who joined the same time as you but went to school.:)

Neville Roberts
6th August 2008, 02:15 PM
Caenarvon Castle, dont remember much after hitting the coast, what with the cheap brandy and gin, also Delmonicos, :eek::eek:

john meekin
6th August 2008, 03:16 PM
hi alf,did,nt do any U.C.started on1956 trawlers stella carina stella dorado,artic bucaneer,MN.carlo,riolta,cambray,trelawny,lesrix,s unfleet,dago,cicero,boridino,theliconus,trentinox9 ,dartwoodx2,volo,pandorian,cape grenville,port dunedin,port townsville,port campbell,port phillip,cattaro marengo rapallo,iron crown,harwood,prospero,port lincoln,pardo,queen elizabeth(1),automedon,menalausmachaonx4,prometheu sx13 clearway,protesilaus,1972,my favorite ,prometheus,a great ship

happy daze john in oz
7th August 2008, 01:53 AM
ref post#29

And there were many who hit the pavement after the brandy.:eek:

Doc Vernon
7th August 2008, 05:59 AM
Hi John,
Yes mate many a time we hit the Pavement after too many in all those Clubs all over the place!
Sometimes it wasnt too pretty either! Like this poor Sod! haha!!:D

And Neville
Cant blame you for not remembering after that SA Brandewyn haha!! Had some powerfull stuff especially in the Night Spots where they Carefully took the Top off Doctored it for you and then resealed it,and of course we were none the wiser after a few! haha!
What a blast !!:confused::)
Cheers to you both
Vernon

Doc Vernon
7th August 2008, 08:00 AM
ref post #29

Hi Neville,
So which Brandy tickled your fancy mate!
KWV
Mellowood
Richelieu
Klipdrift
Oudermeester
Commando
You name it ive had it haha! And in a big way too!!
Cheers
Vernon:):D

George
11th August 2008, 10:48 AM
Well Vernon our dates don't tie up your second steward was I think on my first trip cant realy place him but when I returnd after a break the second steward was a John Green who I think ended up as the shoreside superintendant in the last years of UC Regards George in Sothampton :)

George
11th August 2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Vernon have tried one or two places but no luck as yet but will keep looking for you problem at preseant is time Regards George in Southampton :):)

Doc Vernon
11th August 2008, 11:33 AM
Hi george,
Hope you are keeping well,dont talk too often do we but i know how life is always something to do.
Anyway mate i will just hang in there and see what comes up,you may get lucky (no not that way haha)
Thanks for trying!
Cheers

Funny thing is George,quite a long time ago i had sen a site somewhere that actually had the History of the Jellico and PIC?
Think i can find it now! No way!:confused: Totally!!haha:)

happy daze john in oz
12th August 2008, 06:36 AM
Tried them all except for Klipdrift, not heard of that one though have been goneadrift at times.:confused:

Doc Vernon
12th August 2008, 07:05 AM
Hi John,
Yes mate i bet you have gone adrift a time or two haha!
Actually that Klippies as we call it is one of the best now,and is Exported ,not like the old days when it was just Klippies to us haha!!
I forgot the other main one Viceroy! Remember that they called it (K----- Taxi)
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
18th August 2008, 06:13 AM
ref post #38

G'day Vernon, goneadrift was the name of the game on many occasions. One rip i was on the police watch list, adrfit by 8 hours on sailing day, but I got back and it cost me 3 days pay. KWV wasa by far the best but very hard to come by.:eek:

Ken R651123.
17th September 2008, 04:20 PM
Hi George. I was on the Stirling 62, you must have seen the Shark incident with the young chap Maciver. I was on the trip after. Ken.

George
22nd September 2008, 09:05 AM
ref post#40

Hi Ken sorry I've onley just read your post haven't had a lot of time this last few weeks so have just poped in and out of the site as and when the incedent you speak of rings a bell but don't really remember wether I was aboard that trip or wether I heard the story 2nd hand. ken what where the dates you sailed on the Sterling would be nice to see if we where on at the same time Regards George in Southampton :):)

Jeff Glasser
29th September 2008, 12:17 PM
Braemar Castle.-'64-'65.
Kenya Castle. - 1965.
Catering boy.

Colin Hawken
5th November 2008, 09:01 PM
Stirling Castle my first ship.From June 1949 to August 1950.

John Wallace
6th November 2008, 03:54 AM
Hi Jeff,
I sailed on the Braemar Castle From Jan 1964 -June 1965 did trips as Silver king .

John Wallace (barling)

David Williams
6th November 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Alf'
Did one trip on the Edinburgh Castle,cant remember the date offhand.Lived in cabin N01
right up in the Focastle,shaped like a cheeselet it,and you cant imagine how cramped it was.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Geoff Anderson
7th November 2008, 12:23 AM
Hi ALL.
Sailed on the Capetown Castle , d boy, 6 to a cabin. Roslin and Rochester Castles, 2 to a cabin.not bad for a mid 30s boats.
best wishes geoff. :D

Doc Vernon
7th November 2008, 02:22 AM
Hi Geoff,
Reading your post about the Castle Ships,although i never served on the Roslin Castle,i did twice go aboard her in Cape Town as i knew a chap who worked on her!
To me that was in my opinion the best of the Fruit Carriers around,and it was sad to find out that she went to the scrapyard via Taiwan Breakers 1968.
She survived the War at least and had some good years after that!
Cheers

Geoff Anderson
7th November 2008, 05:33 AM
Hi Vernon.
She was my first deep sea trip, and i have fond memories of her. altough she was old built in 1935 she would still show her heels to most of the ships of our time, if i remember her service speed was 17 or 18 knots. Not bad for an old girl. I was on her in 65, we might have met, if you were the tallyman then??. She was in a much better condition than the Rochester castle she was a rust bucket.
best wishes geoff. :D

Doc Vernon
7th November 2008, 07:57 AM
ref post#48

Hi Geoff,
Just a short note to say its quite possible that we may have walked right by each other on the Docks or Ship,as i suppose so many others too!
Yes the Tally Clerk days were at that time too! Cape Town !!
Cheers
Vernon

Stuart Henderson
11th January 2009, 03:57 PM
LLangibby Castle June 1951 Tourist Waiter. Round Africa trip

Braemar Castle Joined Capetown after missing Dominion Monarch July 1954 Crew Messman

Braemar Castle Sept/Dec 1954 Crew messman To clear discharge book

Stuart Henderson

John White
16th February 2009, 12:30 PM
Hi Alf,
I was a Deckboy aboard the Durban Castle for 4 trips in 1956, 2 trips as JOS. Good luck wherever you are.
John

pam halesowen
6th April 2009, 03:36 PM
can you please tell me what years you were on the pretoria castle

happy daze john in oz
7th April 2009, 05:48 AM
G'day Pam and a very warm welcome to the site. Who are you looking for from the Pretoria as there were a number of us on her at various times.:eek:

Michael Wisher
16th April 2009, 08:48 AM
Hi Alf, I did two trips on the Rochester Castle in 1967, at the end of the first trip, we were in Southampton for about 10 days, there was only two of us who signed on again, as the shore gangs were on board the mate said we could have a week where we were not to pressed, so we had a good week around the pubs in Southampton , especially the Brown Bear. The second trip we payed of in Cardiff. Travelling back to South Shields via London, I arrived back with no luggage, and one black shoe, and one brown shoe. and my mouth like a Hindu's jock strap, all the best, Mick Wisher:)

Geoff Anderson
16th April 2009, 10:04 AM
ref post #54

Hi Mike.
I was on the Rochester June to Aug 67. joined in Cardiff, paid off in Southend. If you look in the gallery you should find some photos of some of the crew. they might be under my pics.
best wishes Geoff:D

Michael Rossouw
19th April 2009, 05:24 AM
I did 2 trips on SA Oranjie,one on Pendennis Castle,two on Good Hope Castle,one on Richmond Castle.Best was Goodhope Castle single berth cabind pluss a crew bar,all day work and only two hours lookout per nightshared between deck crew.

Alf Valentine
17th July 2009, 07:10 AM
i was not on the edinbough i was on the good hope castle & the roslin castle & the tintagel castle & tantallon castle i was with union castle from 1954 to1957 as second steward

David Williams
17th July 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Alf.
Dont know if Ive told you before,
I was on the Edinburgh Castle back
in 1955...24/1/55 until 11/3/55 was
in cabin no1,right up in the bows.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Geoff Anderson
17th July 2009, 06:39 PM
Hi Alf .
A warm Welcome to you, hope you enjoy the site.Find yourself a cabin and settle yourself in.
I was on the Roslin castle 65 first trip deck boy.
Geoff :D

John Boys
17th July 2009, 08:56 PM
Hi EVERYBODY
All these castle boats names, didnt anyone sail on the best one, THE ARUNDEL CASTLE My 1st ship after vindy I did 6 trips from 6th Nov 1956 to 14 Aug 1957 john

Doc Vernon
18th July 2009, 06:01 AM
Helo John B
Yes i am sure there are some here that sailed on the Arundel Castle,and with time someone will post about it i am certain,as so many on this site had connections with UCL!
The Arundel had a Sister ship in her days too and here is a nice little site that you may like to raed! Well thats if you havent allready!
Cheers

Those older ones to me were the best!

http://smmlonline.com/articles/arundelcastle/arundelcastle.html

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/UnionCastle4.html#anchor599634

http://www.thegreatoceanliners.com/arundelcastle2.html

Gary Bradley
26th February 2017, 08:25 PM
Castle boats, that was all i heard about on my first trip to sea, there was an old steward from liverpool on there, an old passy boat queen as he called himself (no, before you all get up in arms about this, I am not homophobic, met a lot of decent blokes during my time at sea, quite a few who were gay, some of the funny stories they used to come out with!!) his favourite saying was "ooh when I was on the Pendennis Castle with ....", the guy's name was/is Les Craig. This was dec 1981, we joined the Scottish Lion off limits in brixham bay, most of the crew changed, the bosun was another character, a south african bloke, Charlie Hood, and the chief cook a big bloke, cant remember his name, his opening statement to the new galley boy , who i shared a cabin with for the 5 month trip, went something like "Hi, I'm the cook and I will tell you before they all do - I'm gay!!" Frightened the **** out of young Tim, but they were some of the best blokes i had the pleasure of sailing with. The cook gave tim the nickname "John Sebastion tregorran" as that was the name of his first galley boy and the name stuck. Les, Charlie and the cook were probably well into their fifties or early sixties (or so i seem to remember, given that I was only a 17 year old deck boy myself) which was 35 years ago so they are probably all deceased by now. Does anyone on here remember them? There must be some old passy boat stewards left kicking about, they were right characters, people like that kinda stick in your mind. Another bloke I remember well was a bosun from the falklands called Ronnie Hanson. Had a right reputation for being a terror, a right nasty piece of work when he wanted to be, but I found him to be one of the kindest blokes i worked for, gave me a chance to learn my trade properly, I have always loved rope and wire work and he got another of the "old hands" an AB called Kenny Grindrod,( who I sailed with twice, once on the Edinburgh Universal and again on the Scottish Eagle down the falklands) to take me under his wing and change all the wire strops and cables on both lifeboats, hard eye splices , wormed and parcelled, the full shooting match. What I didn't know was that Ronnie had said to Ken, watch him do the first one then if you think he can manage, leave it to him. I will never forget that trust he showed in me, wish more of the bosuns I sailed with had been like that.
If any of the names ring any bells please let me know.

Ken Trehearne
26th February 2017, 09:00 PM
Hi Alf.

I was on the Edinburgh Castle as QM 2/11/55 to 6/4/56. Great ship and crew. Also on Dunnottar Castle 22/10/53 to 28/12/53. Met present/only/sole wife in East London. She later went to UK on her big OE though never went back. Wise enough to marry me instead.

Been at Auckland since 1964 though lived in Plympton for 17 months 1986/7 then hurried back to down-under to remain for life.
KenT

Doc Vernon
26th February 2017, 09:06 PM
Two good Ships there (well I found all my UCL ones good) Edinburgh my late Brother was on in 59/60 and I was on the old Dunnottar in 58 doing her last trip (my first) to KG5 a memorable trip that was!
Cheers

gray_marian
26th February 2017, 10:52 PM
#63, Sorry Ken have to say, Alf a dear member sadly missed, died in October last year. Marian.

john walker
27th February 2017, 03:47 AM
#62 Hi Gary I sailed with Ronnie Hanson in the late 60's. If it is the same bosun (It probably is as there can not be to many bosun's with that name from the Falkland's)It was either on the Tintagel Castle or the King Arthur I can not remember which I was in catering. Both of those ships belonged to British & Commonwealth and Ronnie was a companies man. I have vague recollections that He had started as a young man on ships after getting a pier head jump on a whaler that had stopped over in the Falklands The ship he was on was one of the Hector Whaling fleet which was managed eventually by British & Commonwealth which is how he became a company man . Any way as you say He was a good bloke.

happy daze john in oz
27th February 2017, 05:23 AM
UCL, some of the happiest and gayest crew you could ever sail with. A good company to work for I found with most of the gay guys as first class wingers.
Very popular with the bloods to the extent hat they would swap perfumes, clothing ideas and other such female concepts.

Good company and put on some great show in the pig for the crew, to the extent that on one voyage the skipper, Patey, had them put it on for the bloods.