Glenmoor
Hazelmoor
Exmoor
Kirriemoor
Notes:
there are some other ships and dates I cannot remember

j.sabourn
15th February 2014, 03:41 AM
James.. some very familiar ships names, and unless you joined Runcimans after I left our paths must have crossed somewhere along the line. Runcimans 1953 to 1964. Ships Avonmoor, Brocklemoor, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Hazelmoor, Jedmoor, Glenmoor, Masters Hogg, Gilbert, Lamb, Bradfield, Coaster, Watson, and about another 6 who I would have to try and remember their names, can see their faces as clear as anything. Cheers John Sabourn

Mike Hall
15th February 2014, 10:46 AM
James,
Welcome to our site,we hope you find everything you are looking for.
Please enjoy all the banter.

Mike

james townsley
15th February 2014, 01:55 PM
James.. some very familiar ships names, and unless you joined Runcimans after I left our paths must have crossed somewhere along the line. Runcimans 1953 to 1964. Ships Avonmoor, Brocklemoor, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Hazelmoor, Jedmoor, Glenmoor, Masters Hogg, Gilbert, Lamb, Bradfield, Coaster, Watson, and about another 6 who I would have to try and remember their names, can see their faces as clear as anything. Cheers John Sabourn

hi john I was with anchor line 1965 to 1972 jim

j.sabourn
15th February 2014, 09:17 PM
Just missed then I was asked to go with Anchor Line when Runcimans moved up to Glasgow from Pilgrim street Newcastle on Tyne. Knocked it back and went with another local company R.S. Dalgliesh. Was Atkinson still personel manager at Anchor Line. Did go back with them more or less as a supernumary in Nov. 75 on the Exmoor, which was a different Exmoor that I had been on in 61. Carrying all this free hand outs to the Red sea ports and Mogadishu. Face didn't fit and think they thought I was a company spy. There for 5 months only. Cheers John Sabourn

Red Lead Ted
15th February 2014, 09:33 PM
Hi ,Jim. I Was in the Exmoor when anchor line renamed her Eucadia done 12 months of hell Bombay/ Karachi / Aden. that was 1972 to 1973 We got caught up in the India Pakistan war. If you google the M.V. Harmattan you will catch many posts on different sites a lot by myself we were greeted by her being towed into Karachi blown out of the water many seaman lost their lives and very few ever returned to sea. That was on the 26th December 1972 the Harmattan was one of Harrisons of London. Where you aware of it at the time Regards Terry.:th_thth5952deef:

j.sabourn
16th February 2014, 01:14 AM
#6... Can you remember the skipper of the Exmoor Ted. Must of been the one I was on for 5 month. The Exmoor before that I was 2nd. mate on about 1961 and we were were in collision in the River Plate going into B.A. Left her about 3 months later after she got back to uk with the bow all plated up temporary, left her in Smiths drydock North Shields ( next to the Jungle ) Think she was bought by the Creeks for almost scrap value. Cheers JS

j.sabourn
16th February 2014, 01:22 AM
Its amazing how little we did not know about other ships which we had sailed on. Richard L..... told me about the Warkworth being fired on in Cyprus, and never knew about it. Was out last night and talking to an old ex Danish seafarer and told him about that ship drifting in the N. Atlantic. Think he thought I was pulling his leg, told him to get on this site as might find a few of his old cronies. However I couldn't remember the name of the drifting ship. What was it again. Will send him an email to prove I wasn't pulling his leg. Cheers John S

Red Lead Ted
17th February 2014, 07:30 PM
#6... Can you remember the skipper of the Exmoor Ted. Must of been the one I was on for 5 month. The Exmoor before that I was 2nd. mate on about 1961 and we were were in collision in the River Plate going into B.A. Left her about 3 months later after she got back to uk with the bow all plated up temporary, left her in Smiths drydock North Shields ( next to the Jungle ) Think she was bought by the Creeks for almost scrap value. Cheers JS

John, As you know the books where changed in 1972. So she was the last one in my old book which I sadly lost in a fire a few years ago. I can see him as clear as I could then small guy but a very fair and honest skipper. Looking at the names of the master,s posted by James ? If I had to hazard a guess I would go for Capt, Gilbert ? Best I can do mate Regards Terry.:headscratch: p.s. I have my years mixed up sorry lads Hamattan was towed into Karachi 26th Dec 1971 not 72 Terry.

Red Lead Ted
17th February 2014, 08:07 PM
I wonder did anyone else ever do this I paid off a little yellow peril , The Superiority, Went back to the pool after my leave and signed on her sister ship the Serenity. Quite by coincidence. Funny old game lads Terry. :th_thth5952deef:

j.sabourn
17th February 2014, 08:29 PM
#9... Would not have been Gilbert Ted. He went down the No. 2 hold tween deck to lower hold without the aid of a parachute in 1955. As recent post on hatchboards he was on a tween deck one sawing planks of wood constructing feeder boxes for grain.. (passage Japan to Sydney)Must have been wrong board as came off beams. I was down lower hold cement washing bilges, missed me but both bounced off the tank top. We got him out of the hold alive and transferred to a US destroyer out of Guam. He never worked again. Took a job as office boy in Pilgrim Street. Was half paralysed down oneside. Would be a long time dead by now. Cheers John S.

Red Lead Ted
17th February 2014, 08:32 PM
John, Itossed up between him and Hogg, I am sure i do recall that name in my book. Regards Terry.

j.sabourn
17th February 2014, 09:22 PM
#12 Doubt if Hogg either Ted. You would remember him anyway had the skin texture of one of Arabic descent, there again he was a Geordie. He was a family friend going back to pre war and the war years. I was with him about 62 / 63 as second mate, he was strictly censured as the mate reported him to be over imbibing, there were some wankers in them days as well. He finished up as a North Sea pilot. Doubt very much he moved to Anchor Line. I was just wondering because when I went back with Runcimans in the early 70"s the master that was there was not one I knew from the old days, however he didn't like me being there at all, the feeling was mutual. Cheers John S

Red Lead Ted
17th February 2014, 09:35 PM
#12 Doubt if Hogg either Ted. You would remember him anyway had the skin texture of one of Arabic descent, there again he was a Geordie. He was a family friend going back to pre war and the war years. I was with him about 62 / 63 as second mate, he was strictly censured as the mate reported him to be over imbibing, there were some wankers in them days as well. He finished up as a North Sea pilot. Doubt very much he moved to Anchor Line. I was just wondering because when I went back with Runcimans in the early 70"s the master that was there was not one I knew from the old days, however he didn't like me being there at all, the feeling was mutual. Cheers John S

John if we could remember every ones name we have all come across in our lives we would all be genius masterminds, I was walking around L,pool city centre xmas last with my misses, A guy sweeping up in St John,s market shouted my name and came running over ???????? I don't believe it he said the last time I saw you Terry was when we shared a cabin aboard the Empress of Canada 40 odd years ago how are you hiya errrrrrrrrrrrrr :cripes: rang no bells at all it is impossible to remember everyone Regards John Terry.:eek:

Keith Tindell
17th February 2014, 10:07 PM
Thats what i am finding as i get older, can remember happenings, but what ship ?, i posted recently that my discharge book tells me i did one trip on the Alsatia, i have no recollection of anything to do with that ship, unless i was rat ars**d all the time!! KT