PDA

View Full Version : Walking through history

John Arton
9th February 2014, 09:54 AM
Did anyone watching Channel 4's Walking through History with Tony Robinson, last night.
He was walking the Liverpool to Leeds canal describing the reason for its building and how it was built.
Some excellent shots of Stanley Dock and the Tobacco warehouse. He ended at Wigan pier. It was coal that made the Industrial revolution and Wigan had the largest number of pits anywhere. Coal drove the growth of Liverpool from a population of around 5000 to 80000 in a couple of decades.
Coal drove the factories such as Hartleys Jam which annually produced sufficient jam to supply the whole of the Empire.
A rather weird offshoot of the population growth was the increase in agricultural land in Lancashire and Cheshire fertilized by==wait for it== all the night soil (human crap) produced by the Liverpool population which was taken by barge up the canal to the likes of Aintree and Parbold.
If you get the chance to get to watch it on catch up then it is well worth a watch.
He also did a number of episodes in Australia and two that stick in my memory were the ones on Newcastle NSW and Melbourne. In Newcastle the took about the top 30 metres off Nobbys Head to build the causeway linking it the mainland and thus creating the beach there.
rgds
JA

cappy
9th February 2014, 10:09 AM
#1 bet that's were the first greengage jam came from .....but nobody liked it so it was put on the merchant ships for the next 100 years

John Pruden
9th February 2014, 10:10 AM
john how many have been or passed through LIVERPOOL to every part of the world it must be millions and yet the gutter press is always trying to have a go at us most that have never been here? I have had the offer of living anywhere on the planet but would never leave here?jp

alf corbyn
9th February 2014, 10:24 AM
i thought the world of Enfield where i was born, until the sixties when the blacks started to move in. i was taken to the council by a jamaican woman who used the race card and was interveiwed by an arab who had only been in the country a short while. i saw the light and moved to Devon. We are now the underdogs of what was once a great nation and is now a clearing house for the dregs of the world.

john gill
9th February 2014, 10:47 AM
Well put Alf- you've just upset at least three minority/majority ethnic groups in North London, keep up the good work.
gilly

robpage
9th February 2014, 12:55 PM
Hey , Hey Alf start on the Blacks Jamaicans and Arabs by all means , but hands off us Dregs

Jim Brady
9th February 2014, 01:16 PM
Just watched this show brought back childhood memories.The scenery today is far different to when i was a kid,there were factories churning out all kinds of pollution and emptying all kinds into the canal.We must've had some very strong antibiotics built into our systems in those days,to many of us the canal was our swimming baths.Near to town was Tate&Lyle British American Tobacco to name just two of the factories that used the canal water and pumped it back into the canal.The kids down that end called the canal the "scaldie" meaning that the water was hot and they could swim in it any time of the year.Down our end here we had a Lead Works about 4 Tanneries Copper & Tin Smelters Tar Works Rubber Works and other industries all pumping stuff into the canal where we swam,thats besides the dead cats and dogs and the odd pig.If we walked out a mile or so towards Leeds the canal became clear so most of our swimming was done there.
Regards.
Jim.

john gill
9th February 2014, 02:10 PM
i thought the world of Enfield where i was born, until the sixties when the blacks started to move in. i was taken to the council by a jamaican woman who used the race card and was interveiwed by an arab who had only been in the country a short while. i saw the light and moved to Devon. We are now the underdogs of what was once a great nation and is now a clearing house for the dregs of the world.

Just hope you underdogs are not under water down there Alf.

happy daze john in oz
10th February 2014, 05:24 AM
Just hope you underdogs are not under water down there Alf.

Yes we have seen a lot of it on Oz TV, they keep refereing to the Wet country but I think thye mean the west country

happy daze john in oz
10th February 2014, 05:25 AM
We get a few of Tony Robinsons shows here in Oz and they are very good. But what did Nobby do to have 30 foot taken off his head?

John Arton
10th February 2014, 01:30 PM
JP
Hope you do not think I was disparaging Liverpool in any way in my original post.
I have a number of relatives who live in and around Liverpool and my father was actually born there.
I respect its proud Maritime heritage but unfortunately have a big bugbear with your football teams as they keep beating my favourite.
rgds
JA

John Pruden
10th February 2014, 03:01 PM
not at all john.jp

Red Lead Ted
10th February 2014, 03:15 PM
john how many have been or passed through LIVERPOOL to every part of the world it must be millions and yet the gutter press is always trying to have a go at us most that have never been here? I have had the offer of living anywhere on the planet but would never leave here?jp

John, School holiday,s in the summer would never have been the same without a daily dip in the cut. The gutter press have never lived mate, The thing about having a pop at Liverpool when any of those that do have the bottle to come and pitch a soap box in Liverpool City centre amongst us personally I would love to walk into one Kelvin McKenzie, I am sure him and a few of his waller,s would be made very welcome. Then we could show him a good time in the Leeds Liverpool canal. I can remember with fondness walking to school as a kid and watching the lift bridge that you had to cross lift open and shut as the barges from the said factory,s and tannery along the cut at Litherland where pulled along the canal. Happy days John welly,s over your kecks in winter under your kegs in summer. We where rough and ready guy,s but oh how we could harmonize. Terry.:cool:

John Pruden
10th February 2014, 09:54 PM
terry younger days always kids lost in the canal and killed on the railway thank Christ they are rare nowadays? now its young lads with drugs killing themselves all over the country where the hell are we going to? times should change for the better not the other way around?jp

Des Taff Jenkins
11th February 2014, 04:39 AM
HI All.
I like Tony Robinson when he presents a program. he really takes you through it all, we saw that canal program and were waiting for more but it finished much to soon.
Jim as you said swimming in a canal full of god knows what, we used to swim in a small river with dead sheep floating past sometimes, The wife and I were only talking last night about a bit of dirt doing no harm, maybe it's why we are all living so long, nowadays the young ones fall prey to all kinds of diseases that they are not prepared for, kept wrapped in cotton wool. I think we had the better childhoods and the later teens, no drugs.

Cheers Des

j.sabourn
11th February 2014, 09:26 AM
Walking... Was that a song or a saying years ago... I'm walking backwards to Xmas across the Irish sea.... JS

Keith Tindell
11th February 2014, 09:44 AM
Was that Spike Milligan, i can remember the songKT

cappy
11th February 2014, 09:52 AM
##15 hello des ..like the bit about sheep dead in the canal .......we used to find them in the tyne after the winter floods washed them down from hexham......we would take them home ....some smelled a bit and were very fat ....granny used to skin them and sell them to the paki curry shop.......we used to get free curry ........but granny was sharp we only got the chicken curry

j.sabourn
11th February 2014, 09:57 AM
Funny that Cappy knew someone who sold dead chickens to the same Paki shop that had died in mysterious circumstances. Cheers John S PS Think Rob was very partial to chicken curry as well JS

cappy
11th February 2014, 10:05 AM
##19 I knew that bloke as well john he was a chief steward on runcimans......there was a rumour he ended up in a curry in ocean road after selling a skinned pig to them telling them it was a rare breed of north shields virgin lamb........I believe it all apart from the bit about a virgin of any sort coming out of north shields regards cappy

Jim Brady
11th February 2014, 10:07 AM
As I said this canal was our playground.Another thing we used to do was,there were wooden swing bridges some of us would get on the end to swing it open and some would be on the other bank where it was swinging away from.We would see who would wait the longest before jumping the gap between the bank and the opening bridge.This little kid fell in (we always said he went under three times,if you did that that was the end of you)anyway one of the bigger lads grabbed him by the hair and we pulled him out.He was more scared of going home with wet clothes than his near drowning experience in the canal.At first we lit a fire to try and dry them off,no good.Knocked on a few doors this man invited just three of the gang in.He came out dried off but all of us that did'nt get into the house were going mad because the man had a telly and we had never seen one,it was funny them trying to explain a telly to us.
Regards.
Jim.

cappy
11th February 2014, 10:07 AM
#17 gawd if you can remember that you must be as old a john s .......are you crabby like him

j.sabourn
11th February 2014, 10:20 AM
#20.. Knew a few Chief Stewards from South Shields they all owned fleets of houses. The only poor one I met was from North Shields and the only thing he had from a life at sea was a parrot. One in particular think he thought he was Gods answer for shipping. On the Pennyworth ( maybe Jim Knew him) had a very bad stutter, they were composition decks and most had a piece of carpet next to the bunk all except this ch. Stwd. Says to Phillips the Super, after stuttering his way through a few words that he wanted a piece of carpet as his feet got cold getting out of bed. The super says see the mate (me) and he"ll give you a piece of coconut matting. Started stuttering again and threatening to resign, Phillips says good I'll have your relief down this afternoon, you talk too much anyway. Cheers John S

alf corbyn
11th February 2014, 10:20 AM
i bet the only thing you have to worry about in the canal now are shopping trolley's.

cappy
11th February 2014, 10:24 AM
#23 love that one john best laugh for a while......a poor shipping co that didn't provide wooly bedsocks

Keith Tindell
11th February 2014, 10:37 AM
Cappy ref 22, Has he got mobile dandruft as well!!!, must have frequented the same establishment as myself, KT

Jim Brady
11th February 2014, 10:39 AM
The chf/stwd on the Pennyworth John was a tall guy who had a deaf aid for that reason we nicknamed him "Torchy" (tv show Torchy the battery boy)What amused me about this guy was he gave himself the job as bacon slicer,he used to cut all the bacon and on a Sunday he would make jelly,very strange.
Regards.
Jim.

j.sabourn
11th February 2014, 11:37 AM
Think I can remember him as well Jim. was he from Shields as well. You cant remember who the Chippy was can you, as Kenny Coulthard was there all the time I was. John S

j.sabourn
11th February 2014, 12:15 PM
Jim, There was a second Mate in his 60", and a 3rd. Mate from Shields. The 3rd. Mate used to be always dressed up like an Admiral of the fleet, ribbons and all. The effect was spoiled though when he put on his cloth cap. His name was a Allan Medd and he wrote articles for a Shields newspaper calling himself the Happy Wanderer. We were in Oxelosund (Sweden) one Christmas and ashore and he took a photo of me with arms round these two ladies. I appeared on the photo to be under the weather, he showed me and said he was going to put it in an Article, I told him if he did I would sue the pants off him, apart from other things, he didn't have printed. He had a Master fired as he wrote to the BOT accusing him of being drunk and the master lost his job. This particular 3 mate had a penchant for doing such things and he was black listed in the NE. However they must have been short of people at the time. The 2nd. mate was also in his 60"s and another poser and another story again. These were not the people that I would say were the best of the old days, I am sure Cappy realizes that not all those brought up pre and during the war were all good examples of seafaring. The 3rd Mate to me was a very dangerous man, he didn't even have a ticket, The 2nd. Mate was always boasting about taken the fleet down to Sydney as a navigator. I found out he was this RN call up of MN personell during the war and had been a provisions officer stationed in Sydney all during that time. They are a long time dead now I assume as would both be well over 100. To me they left no memories of great loss like a huge majority of other seafarers. Cheers John S

cappy
11th February 2014, 12:26 PM
#29 would agree jim I believe that the mechant navy has always had its share of scallys .......and during the war was no exception.....in the book the real cruel sea are some of the stories.......of drunkenness at sea which I never did and mutiny ..........and even in my time many shipmates I wouldn't have taken home........but our record is still a very proud one......the main problem was always to mch alcohol taken ashore which often caused more than hi jinks......was good fun tho.......capitana pasa plata manana

j.sabourn
11th February 2014, 12:43 PM
Cappy, on the Pennyworth, I wanted 6 weeks off. The same Capt. Phillips who had offered the Ch. Stwd. a piece of coconut matting came to see me and asked if I thought the 2nd. Mate would be suitable to relieve me, I knew the creep was after doing this. I said no I didn't think so and suggested they brought someone else in for the 6 weeks which they did. I then went and told the 2nd, Mate that he wouldn't be getting the job, he had tried to give me a hard time and this was payback. Thought he was going to have a heart attack went all red and lay there gasping. He was gone also his partner in crime when I got back after the 6 weeks off. Cheers John S. The moral do unto others as they would do to you Cheers John S

Jim Brady
11th February 2014, 12:55 PM
John signed on Birkenhead 22nd April 59 signed off Middlesbro 2nd June so not long on her.I remember the 3rd mate for some reason a small bald headed guy I think he was from the Focs'le head and did'nt have a ticket.Very strange that I cannot remember the asst.stwds or cooks who I worked with,as i have said in the past i did'nt enjoy that ship one bit so dont remember much about it.I seem to recall that the 2nd steward was a Canadian.
Regards.
Jim.

j.sabourn
11th February 2014, 01:21 PM
Doesn't strike any bells. That's way before my time there. Was there 64/66, then Warkworth, then Ravensworth up to the seamans strike. Shortly after on Foreign Flag. Liberian, Bahamas, and Gibralter. When came back into British flag was with John I Jacobs and a couple of others before going offshore. During offshore periods when in lay off mode in North sea went back on two Bahamas registered ships and to this day cant remember their names as kept no records of same. Sometimes think I have alhzedimers starting early. Can remember everything about them but their names. Cheers John S.

gray_marian
11th February 2014, 02:24 PM
#33, It's called "sometimers" John:)

Keith Tindell
11th February 2014, 03:22 PM
Strange thing the memory, i was on the Cunarder Alsatia for one trip, i only know that from my discharge book, other than that i have no recollection of the ship at all !!, you would think that you would remember where you went etc, nothing at all, lovely getting old KT

j.sabourn
12th February 2014, 02:04 AM
#34... Maybe the sometimers is caused by too many sundowners.. Marian. John S