PDA

View Full Version : Pass the Butter Please!

gray_marian
22nd January 2014, 10:38 PM
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients withPAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Doc Vernon
22nd January 2014, 11:57 PM
That's good information Marian,and I will agree but remember that all Margarines are not the same,many here now are virtually. Free of Trans Fatty Content. And are also have the Heart Foundation Tick of Approval. I have been on the Marg for many Years and don't plan to stop,but I do also love Butter taste.
But as the old saying goes <Yes Butter is Better>
Cheers

happy daze john in oz
23rd January 2014, 05:03 AM
Thankfully I use neither, a bit of butter in cooking but thta is all. I can never understand why people cover breda in butter or marg then add ingedienst to make a sandwich. All you can taste si the grease, without it you can taste what is in the sandwich.

Doc Vernon
23rd January 2014, 05:49 AM
Thankfully -- in the sandwich.

I only use Butter or Marg on Bread when eaten alone! Love it that way especially with a nice Cup of Black Coffee!
Other than that if making a Sarnie no Butter or Marg,just whatever I am putting on the Sarnie!
Cheers

Richard Quartermaine
23rd January 2014, 06:12 AM
We use butter and Australian extra virgin olive oil that is chemical free and cold pressed and has zero trans fats. Please John, I'm being serious!!!. Also rice bran oil so long as it is free of trans fats. If I'm making a curry I use clarified butter, ie ghee.
As for the Heart Foundation tick of approval, they have been exposed for more interest in the funds generated by their 'tick' than the care in providing it's application to manufacturers.
Richard

Doc Vernon
23rd January 2014, 06:17 AM
We use butter ---Richard

Could well be correct Richard,but they have to be very careful,before marking the products with their Tick!
I like the Rice Bran Oil,it has no Trans Fatty Acid,but has other stuff LOL!
Ghee is the best in Curries,that's all we ever used in SA and here now as well!
Cheers

Ivan Cloherty
23rd January 2014, 08:06 AM
Anne Summers does a lovely body butter, who needs a bluddy sandwich!

Louis the Amigo
23rd January 2014, 02:36 PM
Hi shipmates, old donkeyman saying every thing you like is bad for you,,,, or as my heart consultant said dont drink alcohol, dont eat any dairy, dont eat red meat, dont smoke, dont have sex, but what should I do to pass the time, I asked take up knitting?????

gray_marian
23rd January 2014, 02:40 PM
Vernon & Richard, I use "British only" rapeseed oil in lieu of vegtable oil. Think that may be equivlent to your rice bran oil?

Ah John,....... Hot crusty bread with melting salted butter [an occasional treat] what's not to like......Drooling at the thought.

And Ivan, Salty Sea Dog!!!!! Had you down as an oil man myself:p

Louis, Tell your doctor "Life is for living" a little of what you fancy does you good..........., apart from the cigs:)

Ivan Cloherty
23rd January 2014, 02:50 PM
And Ivan, Salty Sea Dog!!!!! Had you down as an oil man myself:)

Ah! Marian! it has been known, memories!! best go an get a cold shower

john gill
23rd January 2014, 04:29 PM
Anne Summers does a lovely body butter, who needs a bluddy sandwich!

depends what you mean by 'sandwich' Ivan.

alf corbyn
23rd January 2014, 04:35 PM
I suppose that rules out the breast milk.

hi Ivan how long have you been using Ann Summers then?.

Ivan Cloherty
23rd January 2014, 04:40 PM
I suppose that rules out the breast milk.

hi Ivan how long have you been using Ann Summers then?.

Depends how long you churn the milk Alf

Ann Summers-me personally never, but I knew a lady who did

Colin Hawken
23rd January 2014, 07:49 PM
I'm 81 and long ago stopped worrying about whether something is good or bad for me. If I like it I eat it. If not I don't eat it. I don't exercise like people tell me I should. I'll go for a walk if the weather's good. That usually ends up in a Pub. I guess I drink far more than "they" say I should.My favourite Summer outing is on the Ferry to a place on Southampton Water called Hythe. There is what I consider one of the best pubs in the area. It's called the Lord Nelson.It has a very nice garden on the waterside and the Ale is always in perfect condition. What more could a man ask for?

Keith Tindell
23rd January 2014, 08:03 PM
there is also a good stop after a ferry ride in a place called Cowes Colin, also a nice pint, which i could buy the first one!! KT

Colin Hawken
23rd January 2014, 08:17 PM
#15 I'll have to save up for the Ferry fare.;) Seriously though Keith that's a good idea. Will note that for a bit later in the Year.Haven't been there for years. Last time was some years back at Parkhurst. NO! I wasn't an inmate. Long story,hope to get a chance to tell you sometime.

Doc Vernon
23rd January 2014, 08:50 PM
Went to Hythe many Years ago,with a Pal don't recall exactly if that was the same Pub,but the name sure rings a bell!
It was quite close to the River Itchen !
We didn't go over by Ferry from Southampton,he drove me there a bit of a way around from Soton town Centre!
But as said it was Yonks ago!
Lovely little place though!
Cheers

Was trying to recall this place and I am sure it was the same one,as I now recall the Picture of Nelson on the Sign outside!

Keith Tindell
23rd January 2014, 09:02 PM
Look forward to that Colin, the problem when i arrive in Soton i am always driving some where, so would love to meet up in Cowes and have a pint and a natter, regards KT

Lou Barron
24th January 2014, 12:14 AM
After reading all these post I should have been dead long ago if you enjoy do it

Des Taff Jenkins
24th January 2014, 04:13 AM
Hi All.
Best butter in the world Welsh Butter but very salty, both of which will kill you apparently. I have as far back as I can remember [last week] used margarine 82 now so I think it's a bit late for me to worry about whether it's bad for me, my wife keeps telling me it is, she eats butter, I don't eat that much fruit only bananas that should mean something, and chips but not at the same time. They say you are what you eat I'm 12stone10 pounds, I think it's the bananas that keep my weight down as I eat loads of chips.
Cheers and eat well Des

happy daze john in oz
24th January 2014, 04:52 AM
I was quite close to the River Itchen !

Cheers

And pray tell Vernon what had you been up to to get in this state?? Itching and scratching is usualy the sign you mya need some Blue Unction.

happy daze john in oz
24th January 2014, 04:55 AM
Yes Richard like you I only use Virgin Olive oil, but I prefer the Spanish. Tried some of the other oils, cotton seed, palm oil, etc but none give the same flavour in cooking.

I do however get very annoyed when they say extra virgin because as yet I have found no virgins in the bottles let alone an extra one.

happy daze john in oz
24th January 2014, 04:58 AM
[QUOTE=gray_marian;154481]Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.

Funny that as I have never seen it served up in parliament!!

Richard Quartermaine
24th January 2014, 05:06 AM
Well, of course John, you're getting the wrong oil!
Richard

robpage
24th January 2014, 05:09 AM
The Manufacturers of all the processed foods spend a fortune on advertising and their own internal research which makes the advertising . Look good . The cereal manufacturers. Who forget how much sugar they put on corn flakes , the dairies who skim cream off "Whole" milk , fat free means more sugar , reduced salt means a bit less than the very salty old recipe , twenty plus years in food processing , I would not trust any of them they don't quite lie , but they do stretch the low fat reduced salt truth . My daughter has just bought a George Foreman grill , it cooks with 40% less fat , less fat than what , it fails to tell you , I suspect it is less fat than the deep fat fryer . I read the ingredients lists , the lies are less well hidden there ,

Ivan Cloherty
24th January 2014, 07:36 AM
George Foreman Thingy Rob, we were given one, quite good and quick, easy to clean, it is surprising (or maybe not) how much water drips into the tray when you do bacon or pork chops in it

robpage
24th January 2014, 08:24 AM
I try and buy outdoor. Reared. Pork (locally produced ) and dry cured bacon , and you still get water out of, that , not a full bucketful though

Louis the Amigo
24th January 2014, 09:31 AM
Hi shipmates, hi happy john in oz for extra virgin olive oil you must buy the welsh one, sold in the same shop that makes good rugby players....

Keith Tindell
24th January 2014, 10:41 AM
The other oil to try, and supposed to be far tastier, but very very expensive, is extra virgin rape seed oil (ok, no comments ), quite widely available KT

alf corbyn
24th January 2014, 11:10 AM
if you get water in your bacon, ham or other meats, its because the government allows it and its legal. ham has water forced in under pressure .

Richard Quartermaine
24th January 2014, 12:08 PM
Most of our non butter spreads here are immulsifed canola oil which is a type of Rapeseed developed in Canada. Reports lately are not favourable. Unlike Denmark, Australia does not ban trans fat and in the small print on the packets it is .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola
Richard

happy daze john in oz
25th January 2014, 06:06 AM
Most of our non butter spreads here are immulsifed canola oil which is a type of Rapeseed developed in Canada. Reports lately are not favourable. Unlike Denmark, Australia does not ban trans fat and in the small print on the packets it is .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola
Richard

Not a joke Richard but i know a guy who uses some of the so call;ed 'table spreads' to grease rusted nuts, apparently if you leave the spread on over night it is better than WD 40 for moving them.

john gill
25th January 2014, 08:32 AM
#22 suggest you send a jar of that stuff to the Lovely Marian, seems to have trouble loosening her nuts and has to call for plod for roadside relief. (#11 Walmart)

alf corbyn
25th January 2014, 12:18 PM
I used to put Vaseline on our bedroom door handle to stop the kids coming in when making love.

john gill
25th January 2014, 12:30 PM
I used to put Vaseline on our bedroom door handle to stop the kids coming in when making love.

Other lubricants are also available.

gray_marian
25th January 2014, 12:55 PM
#33 John, "Walked" into that one didn't I!!! Am told there is a "lads mag" with same name:o

john gill
25th January 2014, 01:43 PM
#33 John, "Walked" into that one didn't I!!! Am told there is a "lads mag" with same name:o

Nuts to you. (with respect)

David Williams
26th January 2014, 04:43 PM
We eat a lot of butter either Welsh or French,as its all salty
and some are made with sea salt,scrumptous.How people
can eat these spreads is beyond me.
Dave Williams

Ivan Cloherty
26th January 2014, 11:18 PM
We eat a lot of butter either Welsh or French,as its all salty
and some are made with sea salt,scrumptous.How people
can eat these spreads is beyond me.
Dave Williams

Don't tell me you haven't spread something and then eaten it!!

happy daze john in oz
27th January 2014, 05:14 AM
Don't tell me you haven't spread something and then eaten it!!

Problem with that is then removing the folicles after having eaten.

happy daze john in oz
29th January 2014, 11:02 AM
Something that may interest you Marian, when it was first made the Marg was white. The US gov then passed a law banning the addition of yellow coulour in case people thought it was butter. New Hampshire passed a law saying it must be coloured Red so people would not spread it on toast.