PDA

View Full Version : The Cicada Syndrome!

Doc Vernon
26th October 2013, 10:05 AM
Yesterday i read a short Article in out local Newspaper,and i must say that it seems to make some sense!
I wonder if this may be an Alert for the future of our Bushfires!?
Now although i dont know if the dates given are absolutely accurate,but even if they differ by a Year each way,it is still something to think of here,and may be natures way of Alarming us that Bushfires are on the way!
Although the Cicata does come out Yearly,there are certain Years that they come out in force,like this Year,the noise is so intense that one has to keep indoors at times!
So what are your thoughts on this!?
Cheers

Louis the Amigo
26th October 2013, 12:24 PM
Hi shipmates, Hi Doc Vernon, Program about Grasshoppers' / Locus on discovery T.V. are cicada the same? Many countries have spent millions on research to find out how? and why they swarm?You may have the missing part of the reason? Many thing have been found by clever people who are not Experts .

Captain Kong
26th October 2013, 12:40 PM
Circadas are the longest living of Insects,
and can Hibernate for up to 17 years.
I could do that if SHE would let me.
Cheers
Brian.

Colin Hawken
26th October 2013, 05:58 PM
Did you have the nerve to tell her that Captain?? lol

Ivan Cloherty
27th October 2013, 07:49 AM
Did you have the nerve to tell her that Captain?? lol

He's playing it cool Colin, he's waiting for the 17th year to come around again, he chickened out this year

alf corbyn
27th October 2013, 12:04 PM
hi vernon. we could learn a lot from nature if we don't kill it off first.

Des Taff Jenkins
28th October 2013, 12:21 AM
HI Vernon.
I believe that is correct, when we lived up the Blue Mountains the Cicadas used to be very loud just before a bush fire, our cat used to dig them up and feed on them, snails crawling up a wall herald heavy rain as does ants going up hill, sometimes dogs howling and thunder is not long coming, we have been losing all these warnings for a long time. The Aboriginals still have this ability but sadly they are losing it to.

Cheers Des13979

happy daze john in oz
28th October 2013, 05:06 AM
hi vernon. we could learn a lot from nature if we don't kill it off first.

That is the problem Alf, man has not learned to live along side the native creatures of this planet. We could learn alot more if we took a bit of time to listen to them.

happy daze john in oz
28th October 2013, 05:07 AM
Circadas are the longest living of Insects,
and can Hibernate for up to 17 years.
I could do that if SHE would let me.
Cheers
Brian.

Maybe you could encourage your neighbour to do that!!!