PDA

View Full Version : 21st Birthday.

John Albert Evans
13th July 2013, 02:23 PM
I just thought that it would be interesting for us to remember where we were on our 21st Birthday:).

I was Second Cook and Baker on the Shell Tanker STS Haustrum. 20th. September 1961. Brisbane Australia.
21st. September 1961. At Sea. My 21st Birthday.
22nd.September 1961. Sydney Australia.
I asked the Ch/Stwd. if i could buy a case of beer, he told me to ask the Captain which I did and he refused. Happy Days :rolleyes:

Where were you ?????

John Albert Evans.

Keith Tindell
13th July 2013, 03:29 PM
I think i posted before, we were mid pacific, on the way from Panama to Japan, i was on the 12-4 watch, and the other two had made me farmer. We had quite a large ammount of beer saved up, the birthday celebration was going on into the evening, and at Tommy Driscoll turn at lookout he was well p*****, after about 30 mins the ships whistle started to blow, pandemonium , i rushed up to the bridge, skipper was there in his pyjamas, and Tommy had fallen asleep on monkey island on a vent, slipped off and on to the whistle lanyard!!. Poor old Tommy was logged for the said incident, but i always remember my 21st KT

Colin Hawken
13th July 2013, 03:42 PM
I think I have done this before. I spent my 21st on a Shell in British North Borneo. People now tell me there is no such a place.Being an unrepentant diehard Son of the Empire my reply is,"There was when I was 21.when Britannia ruled and the World was a better place. " :D:D:D ???

Stuart Henderson
15th July 2013, 03:20 PM
I was a/s on the Esso Syracuse and we were in mid S.Atlantic en route Ras Tanura in Persian Gulf from Campana Argentina to load aviation fuel for USN in Korea War. diverted last minute to Sasebo Japan (smashing run ashore first for couple months. Anyway it was March 5th 1952. Two beers a day or was it a week ? Anyway went to Master Captain Jones and asked for case for 21st to share with shipmates. Strongly refused and not even a Happy Birthday greeting........... Trip lastled nearly eleven months//// Needless to say I didnt go back left ship in Le Havre
Stuart

happy daze john in oz
16th July 2013, 01:45 AM
I was officers steward on the Windsor castle two days out of Southampton homeward bound. Wrote an article on this ealier in the year, under Swinging the lamp.

Charlie Hannah
16th July 2013, 02:10 AM
I was on the M.V. Deerpool at sea,two cans a day so saved mine up gave all the deck crowed two cans each then me and my mate Paddy White got on the Px#*
drunk as skuns on a couple cans.

Richard Quartermaine
16th July 2013, 06:05 AM
It was 26 February 1952 and like Stuart, a Pisces, or in China the 'Year of the Goat'. Both supposed to be amiable, decent blokes. I'm skeptic about these sort of things but have been mildly surprised at some things that have happened over the decades. Of course, living and working so long with Chinese who have superstition down to a fine art it has to rub off a bit!

Colin, British North Borneo, about the time Jesselton became Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, West Malaysia. I had a branch office there and the manager was an Aussie who was built like a brick sh....ouse and a bully to boot. The Capital (yes, with an a) Hotel had a little bar just up the stairs from the street. "Sunshine" wandered up the stairs, fronted the bar and growled to the little Chinese barman, "Whisky - Teachers". The friendly little barman looked up and said,
"Just a moment sir".
"Get me a whisky - Teachers" growled "Sunshine"!
"Just a moment Sir, I'm serving another customer".
"Get me a Teachers whisky or come outside"!
"Just a moment Sir".
Sunshine thundered down the steps followed by the slightly built barman. Sunshine put up his dooks, lunged at the barman, who, like greased lightning that would have put many aspiring actors to shame, gyrated and connected. Sunshine was airborne for a while before he landed in the gutter. The next day somebody put sugar in his petrol tank. When I went over from Singapore I was looking for who put the sugar in the Company's petrol tank. I didn't find him, but it would have been nice to have shaken his (or her) hand!!!

And exactly one week before Stuart celebrated his 21st on 5th March, 1952 I was on the Gothic docked in Melbourne with the local reporters looking for news about the cancellation of the Royal Tour three weeks earlier in Mombasa, Kenya. At least the passengers we picked up in Mombasa had disembarked so a few of us got ashore and I think it was up at Young and Jacksons (of 'Chloe' fame) that we cooled ourselves with some schooners of the local brew.
Richard

happy daze john in oz
16th July 2013, 12:30 PM
Richard, not sure how you got on in Young and Jacksons but we were ejected. One of the lads, as full as a boot by this time, a Liverpool lad, said he was hungry and wanted soup in a basket, but then realy got them going when he said 'Chloe' needed a shave!!!!! Never knew the sidewalk to be so hard.

Neil Morton
18th July 2013, 12:00 AM
New Years Day 1960 winger on Durban Castle, captains table, still under the weather from night before at breakfast, half cut by lunch and well and truly soused by dinner. My mates finished me off and put me to rest around 2200. Zombie for next two days. Still have photo's would post but don't know how.
A foot note to the above ; being born on 1st of January a man needs a strong constitution . Still here though and # 75 coming up.:grinsign:

Charlie Hannah
18th July 2013, 01:48 AM
New Years Day 1960 winger on Durban Castle, captains table, still under the weather from night before at breakfast, half cut by lunch and well and truly soused by dinner. My mates finished me off and put me to rest around 2200. Zombie for next two days. Still have photo's would post but don't know how.
A foot note to the above ; being born on 1st of January a man needs a strong constitution . Still here though and # 75 coming up.:grinsign:

Perks of reaching 50
Or being over 60
And heading towards
70 or beyond!

Kidnappers are not very
Interested in you.

In a hostage situation,
You are likely to be released first.

No one expects you to run --
Anywhere.

People call at 9 PM (or 9 AM) and ask,
'Did I wake you?'

People no longer view you as a
Hypochondriac.

There is nothing left
To learn the hard way.

Things you buy now
Won't wear out.

You can eat
Supper at 4 PM.

You can live without sex
But not your glasses.

You get into heated arguments
About pension plans.

You no longer think of speed limits
As a challenge.

You quit trying to hold
Your stomach in no matter who walks
Into the room.

You sing along
With elevator music.

Your eyes won't get
Much worse.

Your investment in health insurance
Is finally beginning to pay off.

Your joints are more accurate meteorologists
Than the national weather service.

Your secrets are safe with your friends
Because they can't remember them either.

Your supply of brain cells is finally down to
A manageable size.

You can't remember
Who sent you this list.

And you notice these are all
In big print
For your convenience.

Forward this to everyone
You can remember
Right now!

"Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you know they are always there

happy daze john in oz
18th July 2013, 05:57 AM

Durban Castle Neil, was that not a bit risky, if I recall they shoved bloods out of the port holes on her. But you survived to tell the tale, good luck mate and enjoy the 75th, you earned it.

alf corbyn
18th July 2013, 10:56 AM
my 21st I spent in the playhouse bar Durban, drinking old napoleon brandy, picked up a girl from another table by buying her a drink, went to the playhouse picture section, and so to bed.

Keith Tindell
18th July 2013, 11:03 AM
Amazing that we were at sea for our 21st, nowadays most of these kids are still at school/colledge/university KT

gray_marian
18th July 2013, 12:34 PM
Perks of reaching 50
Or being over 60
And heading towards
70 or beyond!

Kidnappers are not very
Interested in you.

In a hostage situation,
You are likely to be released first.

No one expects you to run --
Anywhere.

People call at 9 PM (or 9 AM) and ask,
'Did I wake you?'

People no longer view you as a
Hypochondriac.

There is nothing left
To learn the hard way.

Things you buy now
Won't wear out.

You can eat
Supper at 4 PM.

You can live without sex
But not your glasses.

You get into heated arguments
About pension plans.

You no longer think of speed limits
As a challenge.

You quit trying to hold
Your stomach in no matter who walks
Into the room.

You sing along
With elevator music.

Your eyes won't get
Much worse.

Your investment in health insurance
Is finally beginning to pay off.

Your joints are more accurate meteorologists
Than the national weather service.

Your secrets are safe with your friends
Because they can't remember them either.

Your supply of brain cells is finally down to
A manageable size.

You can't remember
Who sent you this list.

Charlie, em....re no9, .....I would forgo the spec's..........but wouldn't be able to drive!:)

Richard Quartermaine
18th July 2013, 01:11 PM
Its all in the mind. I showed this to Margaret. Getting my teeth fixed tomorrow. Richard

86 Year-Old Gymnast <http://safeshare.tv/w/cdaBSBkGKr>
Apologies - its a (decent) video that worked on my email from a mate and copied here but it's not working!!

Charlie Hannah
19th July 2013, 04:43 AM
try this Richard.
86-year old Johanna Quaas demonstration on PB - "Turnier Der Meister" Cottbus 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CTWo9EfQ4Hc)

happy daze john in oz
19th July 2013, 06:05 AM
my 21st I spent in the playhouse bar Durban, drinking old napoleon brandy, picked up a girl from another table by buying her a drink, went to the playhouse picture section, and so to bed.

Looks as though you were keeping your end up Alf.

happy daze john in oz
19th July 2013, 06:06 AM
[QUOTE=Richard Quartermaine;132938]Its all in the mind. I showed this to Margaret. Getting my teeth fixed tomorrow. Richard

86 Year-Old Gymnast

Who are you kidding Richard, you do not look a day over 80 !
What did you say, only 79, sorry mate!!!!

Richard Quartermaine
19th July 2013, 11:50 AM
try this Richard.
86-year old Johanna Quaas demonstration on PB - "Turnier Der Meister" Cottbus 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CTWo9EfQ4Hc)

Thanks Charlie, I get giddy just watching.
Richard

Richard Quartermaine
19th July 2013, 12:02 PM
John, in four years I am hoping to be able do up my shoe laces, meanwhile I'll keep eating my morning bergoo.
Richard

leratty
19th July 2013, 12:37 PM
Crikey 21st birthday. I had left the sea & was at university in London but a couple of close friends from my days at sea along with another close mad Scottish friend who also went to uni with me organised a terrific surprise party even got my sister there. We still see each other when we are in UK must say it is as if we have never been away from each other after all these years. I still have the wonderful present of a compilation of photos of the ships we served on hanging in my little study.

Stuart Henderson
22nd July 2013, 01:31 PM
Amazing that we were at sea for our 21st, nowadays most of these kids are still at school/colledge/university KT

Think we were all at The University of Life Keith. When I listen or watch some of these TV quiz shows it really amazes me what some of the University students
DONT know simple basic geography for example.
Saying that I must admit I cant answer any soap programme questions or modern music.........
Stuart

Terry Woolnough
18th November 2013, 11:11 AM
January 1954 my 21st,docked in Newcastle on the Amarna with frit from the Medi.
Remember a pub on the Dockside. Ashore with the lads at 12,back to the ship, thrown in the shower.
Back to the pub at 6pm,all else fades.
The amusing part.\during the afternoon a telegram arrived wishing me a happy birthday.
It was from a "Lady" sitting in the pub during the dinnertime session

Keith Tindell
18th November 2013, 02:54 PM
Ah, the dreaded dinner break swifty, go ashore for a quick pint, developes into a session, lose the afternoon. result, logged a days pay, fined a days pay, equals worked all morning for nowt Might just as well gone adrift right from the morning. How many times i`ve done that i hate to think KT

Colin Pook
18th November 2013, 03:01 PM
On the Esso Windsor in the Bay of Biscay bound for Fawley.
No card, no pressy, no nuffink---boo hoo
Colin

cappy
18th November 2013, 04:07 PM
Newcastle in oz old man sent me a bottle of scotch down.....me and me mate drunk it and then went in the seven seas bar.....got on the rum and cloves.....mayhem ......not happy

Keith Tindell
18th November 2013, 04:31 PM
Reading the posts on our 21st, most of us board, or at sea all over the world, most of todays youngsters are still in school, colledge, university or whatever, a hell of a lot of them doing some degree that will prove to be of not much value, regards KT

william gardner
7th December 2013, 10:59 PM
kingston jamaica had abloke ona bike bring 6 bottlels of rum 3in abag 3each side of the crosbar we all got well pissed the mate blamed me for getting loading stopped the bloke on the bike did twice run great day

william gardner
8th December 2013, 09:41 PM
wish wecould do it all again lads best time of my life in the merch

EIFION
9th December 2013, 02:13 AM
Hi
Walvis bay on the "Inventor" , T&J Harrisons

happy daze john in oz
9th December 2013, 04:45 AM
[......not happy[/QUOTE]

Of course not, you are Cappy, bloody good job there is no R in that name.

Robert Shepherd
6th August 2014, 11:14 PM
I was on the mv jolly sprite strange name strange ship, middle of nowhere bought all the beers for the lads woke up in the bar and had a lie in till 8 when I was woken up by having stuff thrown at me in my bunk. Then first job was to clean up the mess from the night and morning. Really pushed the boat out though when we went to Lisbon dry dock and me and another lad I think he was called peter worked by for a while spent most of the time trying to get a good bronze ready for home happy days

j.sabourn
7th August 2014, 12:45 AM
Dont know if answered this post or a similar one ages ago. Celebrated my 21st. in Ma Carrols in Belfast. Suppose has now disappeared the same as all good dives have. JS

Braid Anderson
22nd February 2015, 02:04 AM
23rd July 1961. Royal School of Artillery, Larkhill, on an A1 Survey course. Gave half hour lecture 'on a subject of your choice.' My choice was the recent Mig 21 jet fighter. By the time I finished, half the officers at the School were jammed into the place!

cappy
22nd February 2015, 08:11 AM
23rd July 1961. Royal School of Artillery, Larkhill, on an A1 Survey course. Gave half hour lecture 'on a subject of your choice.' My choice was the recent Mig 21 jet fighter. By the time I finished, half the officers at the School were jammed into the place!.....its the way we sailors tell em braid......funny enough i had my 3 grankids out to dinner last night and we sat till after 1 ......while i told them tales of yore ....and how i met the apprentice from noahs ark who came from north shields and now lives in perth .......methuselah saborne ....i think was his name ......love being a granda .......got a call from my son about 10 pm he had hit a deer and bent the motor .....the deer are running all over at the moment bloody dangerous not as big as roos but can make a mess of your car......such is life......cappy

happy daze john in oz
23rd February 2015, 05:14 AM
Cappy #36 road kill makes great eating if taken fresh you know. Bit of venison very nice but of course you do know the penalty for killing the Kings Deer!!!!

cappy
23rd February 2015, 10:24 AM
the deer was killed outright .......the car was a bit of a mess my lad was ok ....the hunt was rung and they took the deer for the hounds.......but had a close thing just lastweek the smoke coming off the tires to avoid the things.....they are everywhere at the moment .....regards cappy ......not the deer hunter

Red Lead Ted
23rd February 2015, 11:01 AM
I had done 3 trips in the Linguist, 3rd Trip we sailed 16th March, My birthday was the 17th Paddys day, 1st day at sea, The skipper walked into my room......... Why didn't you say you where 21 yesterday, Obviously looked at the books, I was on the graveyard watch, Walked into the mess 5pm there was a bloody big birthday cake, All the lads along with the top brass sang happy birthday, Oh by the way said the Bosun your stood down for your watch tonight enjoy lad and brought out 4 cases of tenants and a couple of four bells, Happy days Terry. :cool:

cappy
23rd February 2015, 11:03 AM
jeez ted was shipping co was that ........go on yer bleeding jokin me.....lol cappy

Ivan Cloherty
23rd February 2015, 12:04 PM
Nothing exciting for me, spent it in Shoreham as 2/m on 'Broadhurst' my watch aboard, as mate was from Brighton, so probably spent it writing love letters to my girl!, must have been lousy letters, she dumped me shortly afterwards!

gray_marian
23rd February 2015, 12:56 PM
#41, Ahh Ivan, Think you do yourself a disservice there:) probably wasn't worthy of you....

E.Martin
23rd February 2015, 04:19 PM
On the Esso Windsor in the Bay of Biscay bound for Fawley.
No card, no pressy, no nuffink---boo hoo
Colin

Was on Shell Tanker Caprella steaming through the Bay on passage from Rotterdam TO Mena al Amadi,cannot remember much about it.
Next morning the Bosun said he was surprised at me turning too.

Red Lead Ted
23rd February 2015, 10:59 PM
jeez ted was shipping co was that ........go on yer bleeding jokin me.....lol cappy

Cappy, Harrisons of Liverpool, When you do 3 trips deep sea with the same crew, And spend nearly 12 months together you become one big happy family mate, Would not have swapped it for anything, Getting paid to steam around the Mexican Gulf , Caribbean, And the Eastern Seaboard of the U,S,A. What more could a young man want, Regards Terry. :th_thth5952deef:

Charlie Hannah
23rd February 2015, 11:07 PM
Tos & Josh one of the best companies to sail with out of Liverpool.I was on quite a few of them some 2and 3 trips,heavy yakka but great crowds and good tucker,once they lost the hungry Harrison version!

Jim Brady
23rd February 2015, 11:09 PM
I had done 3 trips in the Linguist, 3rd Trip we sailed 16th March, My birthday was the 17th Paddys day, 1st day at sea, The skipper walked into my room......... Why didn't you say you where 21 yesterday, Obviously looked at the books, I was on the graveyard watch, Walked into the mess 5pm there was a bloody big birthday cake, All the lads along with the top brass sang happy birthday, Oh by the way said the Bosun your stood down for your watch tonight enjoy lad and brought out 4 cases of tenants and a couple of four bells, Happy days Terry. :cool:
Terry you were wished a happy birthday on here the other day did you not see it.I said then that I was sure your birthday was the 17th march Paddy's day.
Regards.
jim.B.

Red Lead Ted
23rd February 2015, 11:18 PM
Terry you were wished a happy birthday on here the other day did you not see it.I said then that I was sure your birthday was the 17th march Paddy's day.
Regards.
jim.B.

Jim maybe I was pissed the day I registered mate, There cant be 2 of me..........................{ ask ivan } :multilaughing:

happy daze john in oz
24th February 2015, 04:45 AM
#41, Ahh Ivan, Think you do yourself a disservice there:) probably wasn't worthy of you....

Being a lady of some repute may we as gentlemen, cough, cough, ask where the fair maiden spent her 21st?

Ivan Cloherty
24th February 2015, 07:41 AM
There cant be 2 of me..........................{ ask ivan } :multilaughing:

Terry, in his wisdom God said 'Go forth and multiply' age doesn't always bring wisdom, Terry there will only ever be one of you, so the world is a brighter place!! keep smiling

P.S. It's a compliment

gray_marian
24th February 2015, 09:20 AM
#48, Nothing too exciting John. In a restaurant with my family and newly acquired husband.;) Prefer low key myself. Love arranging surprises for others though

Dennis McGuckin
24th February 2015, 07:15 PM
I remember some years back I started a new post. 'Where were you on your 21st.'So to repeat myself.

We were homeward bound, in the Bay of Biscay, on the SS Pinemore in a raging gale.
Took a couple of cases of ale to the mess.
Nobody there.
Most had turned in.
So I had a beer, wished myself a Happy Birthday and hit my bunk.
Footnote to the story.
My mom, unbeknown to me, had arranged a party for when I got home.
Invited some girls I was rather fond of.
However.
Before we paid off in London, we had unloaded some cargo in Workington.
Had met a nice girl there, so after pay off, I jumped a train back there.
Spent most of my leave with her, and had to hitch hick back to London.
Shipped out again, so never did get home for the party.
Had a hard time getting a date when I finally did get home.
Happy days!

happy daze john in oz
25th February 2015, 05:12 AM
#48, Nothing too exciting John. In a restaurant with my family and newly acquired husband.;) Prefer low key myself. Love arranging surprises for others though

I rather like the term' newly acquired' did you find him in a gift shop? LOL

gray_marian
25th February 2015, 06:30 AM
#52, No John, Had my eye on him for two years, then went in for the kill.;)

judith george
27th February 2015, 01:06 AM
Marian I tried mine out for 10 yrs before i decided to keep him didn't have the heart to trade him in for a younger model then lol