PDA

View Full Version : An ill wind blows

happy daze john in oz
21st May 2013, 02:41 AM
Sad news today from Oaklahoma in USA. More than 50 dead and many more missing.
Worst tornado damage since 1999, our thoughts with those who have lost loved ones and friends. Damage is extensive and will take many years to repair.
Not sure if any members are near there but if they are hope they are safe.

Doc Vernon
21st May 2013, 02:53 AM
Like many other disasters this one is again so devasting,and i too hope that all will be able to get back to some sort of normality there!
I send my heartfelt feelings to all who have suffered the brunt of this disaster!
To the Families that have lost loved ones,i send sincere Condolences!
Strength is what is now needed,and much asistance to try and get things back to some kind of living standard!
God Bless all!

Jim Brady
22nd May 2013, 05:53 PM
The wind in Oklahoma reached speeds of 250 miles per hour and more,did we ever experience winds of that speed and strength at sea.What effect would that have on a ship out in the middle of the ocean.
Regards.
Jim.b.

Captain Kong
22nd May 2013, 06:05 PM
Up on the Brent Field, 125 miles North of Shetlands, the top wind speed we recorded was gusting to 220 mph. It was certainly a little drafty. We let go from the Spar and was steaming full ahead against it and was still going astern, Fortunately plenty of water around.The sea was pure white. Winter 1979.
Brian

cappy
22nd May 2013, 06:16 PM
mv riseley off Osaka in 1961 one of the strongest winds recorded in typhoonit would just have picked you up had browntrousers on I believe oover 250 mph sept 14 to 21 in my ship movement card it was bleeding scary

Chris Allman
22nd May 2013, 06:18 PM
Yes when in a Hurricane in the Caribbean Sea, the winds were well over 100mph and the wind just flattened the sea. There was white foam everywhere. It was only when we got away from it that the swell picked up and which was enormous. We feared that more than the winds.