View Full Version : Merseyside:

Keith at Tregenna
12th May 2013, 12:58 PM
Merseyside, A Film by British Council - 1941:

I found this interesting:

LINK: Merseyside, A Film by British Council - 1941 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Eqk6WvZps)


Keith at Tregenna
12th May 2013, 03:10 PM

I will take a look later and give it a go. First for me. If I have problems will be in touch.


Keith at Tregenna
13th May 2013, 12:09 AM
Guess not rocket science, but do not know where Video Library is.

Looked, failed. gave up.

Abnne that can are welcome to do so.


Doc Vernon
13th May 2013, 12:14 AM
I have done that for you Keith!

A very interesting Video that is!


Keith at Tregenna
13th May 2013, 12:24 AM

Busy enough day today, without all these new fangled ap thingy's. Sure to find it sometime, only come on site for R and R, between the work load. Guess I miss much of the sites potential, just busy elswhere generally. As said will look further ASAP. Every thanks: K.

Roger Dyer
13th May 2013, 07:46 AM
Hi Shipmates,

Whilst watching this little documentary 'gem' that Keith provided, I paid particular interest to the tanker ' Edward F. Johnson' seen passing through the locks on it's way up to Manchester (at 6.18 - 6.47). Did she survive WWII, I wondered ? My curiosity aroused, I sought to seek further information about her and discovered that of 10452 g.r.t., she was built in Rotterdam in 1937. Registered in London, she was owned by the British company, Oriental Trade & Transport Co.Ltd.

On the 11th February, 1941, the 'Edward F. Johnson' and another tanker, the 'Arthur F. Corwin' ( owned by the same company ), both fully laden with gasoline, were part of convoy HX-106 out of Halifax, N.S, bound for Liverpool when, due to an easterly gale, heavy seas and poor visibility, they became separated from the other ships in the convoy and classified as 'stragglers'. About 16.25pm., on the 13th February, the vessels were approx. 8-9 miles apart and trying to reach a prearranged rendezvous when the 'Corwin was torpedoed by U-103 (Schutze). The crew of the 'Johnson heard the explosion and were horrified to see the 'Corwin immediately burst into flame from stem to stern. The master of the 'Johnson, Capt. Alfred Cook, alerted the Admiralty. He was instructed to issue a distress message on behalf of the 'Corwin, then to alter his course placing the stricken tanker astern and leaving the area with all available speed. About thirty minutes later the 'Corwin was seen to break in two, both sections burning independently. The twin columns of smoke remained visible in the sky for a considerable time. At 19.50pm., that same day, U-96 (Lehmann-Willenbrock) came upon the wreck of the 'Corwin and with two additional torpedoes sank her at position 60.20 North/17.11 West. Later, escort vessels searched the area, but no survivors were found. The master (Capt.John Gant), 43 crew members and two gunners all perished. Unfortunately, this incident was but one of hundreds just like it, which through the course of the war would take the lives of so many brave seamen and, yet, knowing of these dangers and the horror that might befall them, those that endured carried on with a wonderful stoicism often found in people of great courage. Surely, their dogged sense of duty was never surpassed.

On a brighter note, I can report that the 'Edward F.Johnson' survived the hostilities, however, I'm unable to offer any information regarding her subsequent
movements or ultimate demise. Hopefully, our mate, Davey (Gulliver), or one of our experts can supply the missing information. Sources of information for this post were the Uboat.net, Auke Vissels other Esso related tankers and Arnold Hague's Convoy index.


p.s. ............... It has occurred to me that as the documentary was made in 1941, the footage of the 'Edward F. Johnson' (apparently taken in wintertime) may well have been shot shortly before or after the incident described above. I do know that during the course of 1941, the' Johnson made at least four more Atlantic crossings in convoy to Liverpool.