PDA

View Full Version : mv Temple Hall

Bill Elleray
12th February 2013, 05:38 PM
mv Temple Hall - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9457774@N07/sets/72157632746935152/)

At the above URL I have posted 4 images:
Two of the wreck in Arrecife in Lanzarote and one each of the anchors & part of the final cargo. The link also shows locations.

Doc Vernon
12th February 2013, 06:13 PM
Hi Bill
Gee those pieces of old Timbers sure look good standing there for all time!
The huge Anchor is also very inpressive!
Many thanks
Doc

Bill Elleray
12th February 2013, 06:50 PM
It's sad to see an old British built ship rotting away, but I think it is preferable than the fate of many other ships that were ripped apart on beaches in India & Pakistan and are now razor blades or door panels on Japanese cars.

So the old Temple Hall can be viewed by holiday makers in Lanzarote, it suprises many as they drive up the old coast road. If you go there for a holiday I'm sure many more timbers and artifacts will be dotted about the locality. I found the anchors and masts quite by accident and the timbers I found and by deduction and cross-checking online.

j.sabourn
12th February 2013, 10:26 PM
Not the same ship as I knew in the 70"s. When was the one pictured built?. Cheers John Sabourn

Tony Morcom
13th February 2013, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the site Bill. Thanks for stopping by to tell us about this. It is to be hoped that you will enjoy all the content here and have a long and happy stay with us.

Doc Vernon
13th February 2013, 04:29 AM
Hi John
I think that is the one built in 1954!
Became Pantelis in 69 then Telamon 77.
Cheers

Your one was a Bulk Carrier wasnt it?
In 78 became Seaway Sandpiper in 90 was renamed just Sandpiper!
Hope this is correct!
Cheers

j.sabourn
13th February 2013, 06:16 AM
Doc thats it. Self discharger 3 cranes and think if remember 10 ton grabs. She had been previous under the Australian flag running Phosphates into Sydney from the Islands. In those days re wages, going through the books the Deck Boy ( Australian) was on more than the British Mate. Just shows how wages suddenly went up in the 70"s re. British Shipping. Too late for some of us as the jobs went elsewhere shortly after. Regards John Sabourn.

Dan Payne
11th November 2015, 02:38 PM
Sailed on the Temple Hall, Bank Line charter 1961/1962, pangs of sadness on seeing the Arrecife pictures

Charlie Hannah
12th November 2015, 01:57 AM
I was on the temple Mead in 54.

Ivan Cloherty
12th November 2015, 08:12 AM
It's sad to see an old British built ship rotting away, but I think it is preferable than the fate of many other ships that were ripped apart on beaches in India & Pakistan and are now razor blades or door panels on Japanese cars.

Can't agree with Bill, having lived in Pakistan and visited Gadani Beach shipbreaking many times, it gave (gives) employment to thousands and gives them a living when they would have none elsewhere, it also recycles the steel whilst it is not rotting, ships generators, pumps and numerous other items are kept as spares for ships andI have obtained spares from there many a time. Yes they may not have all the H & S requirements in place, but working with these guys you know they are as careful and agile as anyone you will see in any industry and their expertise in devouring a ship with basic burners is a lesson in ingenuity, as is their expertise at rebuilding machinery that others would have scrapped.

david underwood
23rd May 2016, 03:32 PM
she was my first ship joind her at tilbry in 59 strate out of ts vindicatrix I was a c/boy 16 years old gold coast then payed of dbs in canerys had for moor ships befor joing army then olau line ferries grman flaged for 15 years

j.sabourn
24th May 2016, 04:43 AM
Hi David I was on the Temple Hall nearly 20 years later, although have a feeling was a different ship. As this one had cranes and was what was called a Self Discharger. I joined her in Greenock, and ship had just come back not too long past off the Ozzie coast and had been under the Australian Flag. Think she had been on the Phosphate run out here. Going through the office drawers found old paperwork and wage slips. The deck boys had been on wage wise as much as I was as mate under the British flag. Maybe this was subconsciously in my mind when decided to emigrate out here years later. Regards John Sabourn

T A Goodlad
7th January 2018, 04:07 PM
I had an Uncle,John Robertson Goodlad (survivor of the HMS Royal Oak which was sunk in Scapa Flow Orkney) who died on the Temple Hall in 1959. His discharge book number is A1104871.
Any info on this incident would be welcome How did it happen,where did it happen and was his remains brought back to the Uk

Thanks Tommy

cappy
7th January 2018, 05:53 PM
##tommy there are some on the site who can probably help ypu in your search ...there is i know a book of remembrance for shetland seamen lost at sea or deaths at sea ......im blowed if i remember where it is now ......but i have seen it online here before as i have two family members on the list ......you must try and google it regards cappy

Keith at Tregenna
7th January 2018, 06:23 PM
Shetland Times Deaths 1956 - 1960

Shetland Times 15/5/1959

John R Goodlad

At sea, age 52 1959

Spouse: Mary Goodlad

Parents: late Mr and Mrs Alexander Goodlad

Shetland Times 15/5/1959 John R Goodlad
West Africa on board mv Templehall. 18 4 1959

Parents: late Alexander and Johann R Goodlad

PDF LINK: http://www.jghalcrow.co.uk/stindex/files/death1956_60.pdf

T A Goodlad
7th January 2018, 09:58 PM
##tommy there are some on the site who can probably help ypu in your search ...there is i know a book of remembrance for shetland seamen lost at sea or deaths at sea ......im blowed if i remember where it is now ......but i have seen it online here before as i have two family members on the list ......you must try and google it regards cappy

Thanks cappy that is what I am doing.

T A Goodlad
7th January 2018, 11:07 PM
Shetland Times Deaths 1956 - 1960

Shetland Times 15/5/1959

John R Goodlad

At sea, age 52 1959

Spouse: Mary Goodlad

Parents: late Mr and Mrs Alexander Goodlad

Shetland Times 15/5/1959 John R Goodlad
West Africa on board mv Templehall. 18 4 1959

Parents: late Alexander and Johann R Goodlad

PDF LINK: http://www.jghalcrow.co.uk/stindex/files/death1956_60.pdf

Many thanks --Tommy

Keith at Tregenna
8th January 2018, 12:25 AM
Results for Deaths At Sea, 1781-1968

Find my Past.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/deaths-at-sea-1781-1968?firstname=%20john%20robertson%20&firstname_variants=true&lastname=goodlad&yearofdeath=1959&yearofdeath_offset=2

K.