PDA

View Full Version : RNR identity cards

Lorraine Murphy
17th January 2013, 04:52 AM
My grandfather, William Beastall Wilkinson b. 1874 in Sheffield, Yorkshire joined as a midshipman some time prior to 1891 as his first records are recorded with the RNR. He went on during the next 7 or 8 years to become a master and eventually an extra master.
His drill ships were 'Eagle', 'Lancaster Castle' and 'Naworth Castle' which eventually brought him to Australia. He married an Australian and had 2 children one in 1912 and the other after WW1 in 1918. During the war he was a Lieutenant with the RANR on the ship HMAS 'Encounter'. He saw active duty and was involved with the taking of German New Guinea in 1914 and also the capture of the 'Zambesi'.
In December 1900, William as chief mate on SS 'Alpha' was one of nine survivors and lost all of his belongings when the ship went down. He had replacements made but as a result we have never seen or heard of anything like an identity card.
My question is - can a replica of this card be seen to the public or only the person issued with such would have had one?
Even though my grandfather sounded like an important person, there doesn't seem to be a photograph of him anywhere. Is there other records for merchant seamen that I haven't yet discovered?
I would appreciate any hints or clues that can fill in some missing gaps in his life.
He died in September, 1938 in Mauritius but I have not found any records in that country. He was living there for the last 8 years of his life.
If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks, Lorraine

j.sabourn
17th January 2013, 06:28 AM
ve just re-read your post and think I was under the impression he was brought up in the RN. Sorry about that in that case. This changes my reply I sent so just ignore it as mis information. Someone I am sure will give you a more comprehensive answer. Regards John Sabourn

Doc Vernon
17th January 2013, 08:57 AM
Sorry i am a bit confused here as well,reading it sounds like he was firstin the RN and later in the Merchant Navy! Is this correct!
One of the Ships you mention is recorded at the NA ,but not sure if this will help or in fact it is the correct one,as there are four Ships of the name !

Detecting your browser settings (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=140642&txtrestriction=BT%2099&hdnsorttype=Reference)

If this is the correct Ship(1919) then from the Link you can get the Crew List,and possiblt then from there futher??
As for his ID Card well it is doubtfull that one can get a copy ,as even his records may not be available??
Again not sure on al this!
Hope that Hugh or Deep Sea may be able to shed some light on this for you!
Cheers and good luck

This Link is for the first Lancaster Castle 1884

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=91170&txtrestriction=BT%2099&hdnsorttype=Reference

From the Australian Archives some of the entries are notvery clear! Sorry!

j.sabourn
17th January 2013, 09:55 AM
I totally misread the post the first time and was rabbitting on, on the wrong lines. Looking at again if he was born in 1874, and joined the Navy as a Midshipman he would probably have been about 13 then which would have been about 1887. If he was listed in the RNR in 1891 he was either out of the RN or as a lot were I suppose put on the reserve list on half pay or whatever. When the Lady says drill ships what does she mean, is this where he did his navy training? When she mentioned master and extra master I thought she was referring to the old RN sailing masters, but this goes back to Nelsons days and dont know when that was discarded. Anyhow I have expunged the post as was obviously misread by me. Best Regards John Sabourn

Hugh
17th January 2013, 06:19 PM
Hello Lorraine and welcome,

You have a fair bit of information so you may or may not have his service file which is held at the UK National Archives, Kew. The file is held in classification ADM 340/145/37 at this link:
| The National Archives (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D8294216) my understanding is that there will be no id card or photograph in this file.

This looks like him in a crew list held on the paysite Find My Past: Crew Lists 1861-1913 | Findmypast.co.uk (http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/clip-crew-lists/results?event=C&recordCount=-1&route=X&forenames=william%20beastall&includeForenamesVariants=false&surname=wilkinson&includeSurnameVariants=false&eventYear=&eventYearTolerance=5)

Regards
Hugh

Doc Vernon
17th January 2013, 08:36 PM
Crew Lists 1861-1913 - list details

<tbody>

Vessel name:

Lancaster Castle

Period for crew list:

6 Jun 1890 - 29 Jun 1891

Vessel official number:

Master:

Chas SEASHORE

Port:

Liverpool

Master's address:

Port registry number:

Master's town (transcribed):

Port registry year:

Master's town (standardised):

Horse power:

Master's ticket number:

Gross tonnage:

Net tonnage:

Owner:

SEASHORE

Number of seamen:

Owner's address:

3 King St

Repository's reference:

BT99/1711

Owner's town (transcribed):

Liverpool

Log book available?:

No

Owner's town (standardised):

Liverpool, Lancashire

Record source:

The National Archives

<tbody>
Name

Place of birth

Year of
birth

Capacity

Previous ship

Previous ship
port/year

Chas SEASHORE

Hull

Master

Same

W'm MAYNE

Belfast

Mate

Same

Arthur T PATRICK

Oxton

2nd Mate

Matterhorn

Liverpool 1889

Edward MIDGLEY

Birkenhead

Carptr

City Of Larean

James MCKINSON

Ayr

Steward

Cleomeme

L'vpool 1890

Gustaf A LAGERBRAMLT

Stockholm

Cook

Moncaster Castle

Lvpool 1890

E T ANDERSON

Aland

AB

Same

Markus IVSEN

Laurvig

AB

Same

Frank LARSEN

Chrisand

AB

Buffalo

Hull 1890

Knud JOHNSEN

Bergen

AB

Buffalo

Hull 1890

Carl KRONE

Brunswick

AB

Buffalo

Hull 1890

Otto RADERMACHER

Southsea

AB

Opah

Belfast 1890

George T PALINER

Sydney, Nsw

AB

Pegasus

Lvpool 1890

Kristian ANDERSEN

Laurvig

AB

Italian

P L ANDERSEN

Ch'ania

AB

Crown Of D'mark

Lpl 1890

Willem VIS

Antwerp

AB

Same

A OLSSON

Carlshamn

AB

Same

Jnr ANDERSEN

Frederstrand

AB

R'd Fisher

Fleetwood 1890

Thomas RYAN

L'vpool

AB

Reindeer

London 1890

William SMITH

Hamburg

AB

Clio

Hull 1890

William YARNELL

Woolwich

AB

Sorrento

Hull 1890

Tho's TREVOTHICK

Sheffield

AB

Annot Lyle

L'vpool 1890

J ANDERSSON

Malmo

AB

Swedish

M THOMBUK

Malmo

AB

Swedish

Alfred HAWKINS

Bristol

OS

Kovno

Hull 1890

John VILSEN

Gothenberg

AB

Gustav Vilhelm

Wismer

J P JOHANSSON

Carlmar

AB

Framnas

Chr

C E LARSSON

Gothenburg

AB

Poulien

Helingo

Nils E KJOLE

Fredrikstad

AB

Gaa Paa

Lancaster

C A A GAARDERS

Fredrikstad

AB

Frei

Frstad

A ERIKSON

Fredrikstad

AB

Gaa Paa

D S WELLANDER

Upsala

AB

Thessalus

Ludvig JOHANSEN

Fredrikstad

AB

Guam

Fredrikstad

Hans M LUDVIGSEN

Fredrikstad

OS

Rudolf

Fredrikstad

Alexander DILL

Liverpool

2nd Mate

Sokoto

Lvpool 1890

E Harold C LLOYD

Nottingham

First Voyage

D MOOR

London

AB

Alan Newton

John MURRAY

Manchester

AB

Rotokino

A T HAWORTH

England

AB

Just In Time

W GOFFUS

Germany

AB

Henriette

Mathew WARDROP

England

AB

Elza Davies

George WILSON

London

AB

Gulf Mo[...]

H CARMICHAEL

Scotland

AB

L Etive

S HASLEWOOD

London

Steward

Elingamite

W ROBERTSON

Dundee

AB

Corona

W FRASER

Dundee

AB

Sarah Pile

J SMALL

Scotland

AB

Nemesis

James NORMAN

London

AB

Childers

Charles MCFAULL

Larne

AB

L Garry

Tho's COMPTON

London

AB

Barrier

J HENESSY

W Indies

AB

Criccieth Castle

James SMITH

Scotland

AB

Daiwhar

Patrick O'CONNELL

England

AB

Hygeia

C E BRAGA

Mexico

AB

Liverpool

J FERNANDEZ

L'pool

AB

Cardigan Castle

A ANDERSON

Sweden

AB

Silver Cloud

Patrick CROWE

Kingstown

AB

Harland

R GODY

Wales

AB

Harland

H W CAMPBELL

Edinboro

AB

Sir Henry

Olaf SVENSSEN

Sweden

AB

Shore Service

H HOI[...]

Auckland

AB

Wyrallah

R RUSSELL

Briland

AB

Harland

Tho's THOMPSON

Manchester

AB

Harland

H BRONDEMCAKE

Germany

AB

Gainsborough

W R WALTERS

Hants

AB

Wavertree

J JOHNSON

Finland

AB

Victoria Nyanza

A LUCAS

London

AB

Henriette

John FOTYS

St Johns, NB

AB

Henriette

H SAMUELSEN

Norway

AB

Fisherman

Robt WISHOPP

Longford

AB

Port Denison

John ROBERTS

Llandudno

AB

County Merioneth

P G HARNELL

Sweden

AB

Albert HAMILTON

Scotland

AB

Easton Hall

Henry WALLIS

London

AB

Blackadder

Albert Mason DIXON

Not recorded

Apprentice

Indentured

Hull 1890

George NUGENT

Not recorded

Apprentice

Indentured

L'vpool 1887

William B WILKINSON

Not recorded

Apprentice

Indentured

Hull 1890

John Brunton MUIR

Not recorded

Apprentice

Indentured

Hull 1890

</tbody>

</tbody>

Lorraine Murphy
18th January 2013, 12:42 AM
Hi Doc Vernon and pals,
Thanks so much for your replies. As far as I know, he was never in the RN but he did serve his apprenticeship on the 'Lancaster Castle' June 1890 -18/4/1893. ADM 240/21.
I have viewed the link that you have given me but it appears that he is not listed in 1891. He was appointed midshipman on 24/7/1891 and appears in the Navy List under RNR. I have no idea which ship he was on in 1891 but he served 3 months drill on 'Eagle' in 1894, '96 and '97 and then on 21/12/1894 sailed on the 'Naworth Castle' to Sydney, Aust.
From July 1896- Jan 1897 he was 1st mate on 'West Glen'
I have lots more on this period but I can't quite desciper the different positions that he has held.

Navy list for RNR states:
Appointment as midshipman 24/7/1891
Appointment as Sub lieutenant 13/3/1899 and Lieutenant on 10/3/1908

but on the other side, the certificates of competency by the Board of Trade read:
2nd mate - 26/7/1894
1st mate - 28/4/1896
OC - 5/1/1899 - these three certificates were no. 028112 (Foreign going ship)
then he was reissued with his OC (the loss of SS 'Alpha' 15/12/1900. certificate no. 035824
Extra master - Sydney, NSW no. 33 - 9/7/1915 (during WW1) just after spending 1 year on HMAS 'Encounter' as Lieutenant in RANR
Steam certificate - at Hong Kong 3/8/1916

Thanks also for the copy of his service records that I acquired from the NAA. I also have a very poor copy from the NA of his service records ADM/340/145. I applied to the on-line records and the copies are only the size of a 6"x4" photo (so as you can imagine to increase them to A4 is totally unreadable) Maybe, one day, I might get to Kew and view them myself.
Thank you
Lorraine

Lorraine Murphy
18th January 2013, 01:09 AM
Hi John,
I have read and re-read my NA papers and I don't think that he was ever in the RN.
The first dates that I have are apprentice on 'Lancaster Castle' from June 1890- March 1893. During that time he was appointed midshipman on 27/7/1891.
The Navy list also apooints him as Sub-Lieutenant and Lieutenant during the next 5-6 years.
I have also replied to Doc Vernon with all the dates and appointments that I have. Could you please read that and tell me if I can find more records somewhere?
I do have a fair bit on his Australian life (but still no PHOTO)
I do have a photo that I found on the NAA site relating to a Captain W B Wilkinson (marine surveyor) but I am not sure whether or not it is my grandfather. The other W B Wilkinsin was a Waldemar Bernard Wilkinson in the RAN who seemed to have disappeared long before my Gfather.
Thanks
Lorraine

Doc Vernon
18th January 2013, 01:25 AM
As far as I know, he was never in the RN ??
Navy list for RNR states:
Appointment as midshipman 24/7/1891
Appointment as Sub lieutenant 13/3/1899 and Lieutenant on 10/3/1908??

Hi Lorraine
From the above quotes to me it seems he was in the RN,albeit it being the Reserve! Also in the RANR !
This gets more confusing !?? Anyway will keep looking and let you know if anything else comes up!
Cheers

Not to put a damper on this search i think that the Photo you found is not the Man in question!

Lorraine Murphy
18th January 2013, 02:33 AM
Hi Hugh,
I applied for a 14 day free trial with find my past but it will not let me access the Crew List or any list for that matter, is there a trick to this?
Thanks,
Lorraine

Lorraine Murphy
18th January 2013, 03:03 AM
Hi Doc,
It is my understanding that the Royal Naval Reserves is the Merchant Navy (is this correct?)
All of his ADM papers from Kew, London state Mercantile Marine on the top. I have always been very confused as to what is what.
Looking at a page I have in my possession, with his appointments in the RANR, there are a few miscellaneous notations.
One in particular took my eye:
4/6/1917 - recommendation by ?/Commander Feakes for promotion and on 21st Feb 1918 WB Wilkinson qualified for a
Ship Marine Surveyor. He was then sent to Henderson Naval Base to observe currents and storms etc for 12 months. I have some of the work that was carried out over there pertaining to a new break wall etc at Cockburn Sound.
That photo that you may have seen with the three diving helmets on the foreground is it not a possibility that it could have been taken at Henderson???
I can upload a copy if you do not have it, let me know?
Thanks
Lorraine

j.sabourn
18th January 2013, 04:50 AM
Which State do you live in Australia. As he held a commission the the RANVR during wartime, there will probably be some record of him in the Archives in the War Museum in Canberra. I had a Relative killed at singapore in 1942. Although in the British Army there was more info. there than what could be gleaned from the old British Ministry for war. Regards John Sabourn

Lorraine Murphy
19th January 2013, 11:05 PM
Hi John,
I live at Terrigal, NSW but have not found much at the NAA. Is there an on-line search for the war memorial?
My aunt was killed in Singapore in 1942, Alice Gwendoline Wilkinson. She is supposed to have been commemorated at the Krangi War Cemetery but we couldn't find her. My uncle was Patrick Ormond Howard Wilkinson, a Lieutenant in the RN. After the sinking of his tug 'Ying Ping' in the final stages of the evacuation he was ordered to stay with another vessel that was having some sort of distress but they were torpedoed off the Banka Straits. His wife was on board and apparently died in his arms. As the Captain of the vessel was also killed, my Uncle had to resume responsibilty for the survivors. He,among others were taken prisoners by the Japanese and spent the next 4 years in various prisoner of war camps.
I have some sketchy info on my Uncle & Aunt but nota real lot. I have no idea where to look for that sort of info. We went to Changi but my Uncle was listed as deceased and she listed at all, so I presumed that the records were very incomplete.
This uncle is the son of my Grandfather that I am researching.
Regards, Lorraine Murphy