PDA

View Full Version : London and the theatre:

Keith at Tregenna
8th January 2013, 10:44 PM
Just home from London and the theatre: Matinee - The Mousetrap. I so miss London and the theatre. K.

Keith at Tregenna
8th January 2013, 11:09 PM
Next visit to town:

Looking to book the 39 steps next.

K.

Don Rafferty
8th January 2013, 11:13 PM
The Mousetrap.................so, who dun it:)

Lou Barron
8th January 2013, 11:47 PM
Yes Keith when my late wife and i was on a visist to our daughter we had the good fortune to see the THE MOUSE TRAP and we really did enjoy it they say it had been going for 33years the only thing that got me at the interval bought two icecreams a pound each they were that small my wife said to me were is the icecream
that show is now in NZ

Keith at Tregenna
9th January 2013, 12:06 AM
Last time I saw the same show at the same theatre was about 30 years ago, it has been running forover 60.

Then they asked at the end of the show that the audience do not divulge the ending and that the sectet of the success
was not to not to tell of what happened, years ago remember the ethic and ending was changed often.

Tonight, the cast merely asked all not to reveal: Who dunnit.

THE SECRET IS:

It was the murderer.

K.

leratty
9th January 2013, 07:54 AM
Keith that is why we live in the city for all those things. London for us is but 2.5 hours away a nice overnight trip leave in the morning back the next eveing. Here as there you have access to concerts, opera, movie 's, theatre a myriad of eating establishments of all price ranges, shops to browse for the boss cocky, drinking holes to spend time in but the beauty is being anonymous as you wander around, bliss! On saying that our local area is just that local friendly so best of both worlds. We tried the quite life in small community, forget it you could not do anything without all else knowing. Worse asking or saying "oh we saw you yesterday in.....or you had such & such around on Wednesday" ferk that! Not for us we put up with all the not so good things of big city life for the great things which far out way the former by miles. Richard

Keith at Tregenna
9th January 2013, 05:39 PM
We decided not to take the car as usual and left it at Stoke Manderville, travelled on the train to Marleybone and then the Underground to Picadilly Circus. It did seem a bit pricy, but let the trains take the strain. My first trip on public transport for years. It was nice to have a drink or two, though both going and return was seated that I was travelling backwards without my steering wheel: odd !

Today found that I had been on the Underground the eve ove of it turning 150 today.

It has changed in some ways very much, in others little. I found the advertising boards a bit Harry Potter'ish as the stationary A boards had moving charecters etc, the travellers were the same as ever, bored and quiet, wanted to break into song and have a crack, but they would have just thought you a nutter and carried on ignoring all. Was a time years ago, you could have a pretty good conversation with most.

First time I have heard the announcement "Mind the Gap" in years.

The phrase "Mind the gap" dates back to 1968. The recording that is broadcast on stations was first done by Peter Lodge, who had a recording company in Bayswater.

The Peter Lodge recording of “Mind the Gap” is still in use, but some lines use recordings by a Manchester voice artist Emma Clarke. On the Piccadilly line the recording is notable for being the voice of Tim Bentinck, who plays David Archer in The Archers.

The largest number of people killed by a single wartime bomb was 68 at Balham Station

In cockney rhyming slang, the London Underground is known as the Oxo (Cube/ Tube)

There were eight deep-level shelters built under the London Underground in the Second World War. One of them in Stockwell is decorated as a war memorial.

In the midst of fare rises in public transport, station closures, delays and the general rush-hour sardine packing, it is easy to forget how truly brilliant the Tube is. Opened on 9 January 1863, with passengers allowed in the day after, it is today the Underground’s 150th birthday.

K.

Lou Barron
9th January 2013, 08:53 PM
I always like visisting London but i would not like to lve there .Iam amazed at the transport system specially the under ground it one way of getting around to different places Mind the Gap

Keith at Tregenna
9th January 2013, 09:19 PM
i would hate to commute. was fortunate for many a year to be cental and local.

Stayed, not long ago, at the Mayfair via a great mate and contact for two 50.

K.

leratty
10th January 2013, 08:32 AM
Keith the London underground you need a Black Amex card for your fares! How on earth does the average London worker survive with that cost per week? Here it is relatively cheap & in HK positively cheap, what gives? Oh some pub lunches are also eye watering cost wise for less than mediocre but hey put up with it Richard it is one of the best city's in the world. Greenwich Nautical Museum incredible (Nelsons coat he was wearing when shot by that dastardly Frenchie still with blood stains, surreal) not possible to see all on display even though been there too many times to remember. Imperial War Museum, best by a country mile war museum in the world. Art galleries both government & private to die for. Tate Modern out of this world, let alone all the smaller ones available, just impossible even after all these years on the clock to see & take it all in. You know they opened some years ago a Imperial War Museum in Manchester, architectural quite something & not too big to cover the exhibitions on. Richard

Captain Kong
10th January 2013, 09:41 AM
One of the best if not the best is the one in Singapore.
it is incredible, to be sat at the front of the train doing in excess of 100 mph and there is no one driving.
All the staion platforms have glass walls, so no one can fall onto the track, ther doors at intervals which match the doors on the train, the Driverless train arrives and stops exactly at the Platform doors , both open people get out first then other peopl get on when clear. both doors close and the driverless train takes off.
Magic. Costs $2 and atb the other end put your ticket in a machine and get $1 back.
Cheers
Brian.

alf corbyn
10th January 2013, 03:30 PM
the map of the london underground is a one off and has been copied by other countries for their tubes

Keith at Tregenna
10th January 2013, 05:27 PM
the map of the london underground is a one off and has been copied by other countries for their tubes

Many credit Henry Charles Beck, known as Harry Beck:

Apparently, during the 1920s, Beck worked as an engineering draughtsman at the London Underground Signals Office. In 1931, he proposed a radical new design to illustrate the rapidly expanding Underground system. The Underground Group's draughtsman, Fred Stingemore, had been finding it increasingly difficult to squeeze new lines and stations into his map. Beck could see that the network had become too big to represent geographically, and worked on a solution to the problem in his own time.

'Looking at an old map of the Underground railways', he said, 'it occurred to me that it might be possible to tidy it up by straightening the lines, experimenting with diagonals and evening out the distance between stations'.

Beck's solution was to map the network schematically, using a system based on electrical circuit diagrams. The Underground's publicity department initially rejected his proposal, thinking it too radical. However, after he made a series of modifications, the design was approved. A trial pocket version was published in 1933, just before the Underground became part of the London Passenger Transport Board.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
10th January 2013, 05:40 PM
The theatre was just along the road from THE MOLLY MOGS: I thought I knew London pretty well, but find something new every visit: I must have passed this pub a thousand times and after Capt.Joe Earl penned a poem about it a little while ago, just could not place it. Saying that it would not have been the kind of pub that I would frequent.

THE MOLLY MOGS

In all the pubs in all the world singled out for praise,
It’s the Molly Mogs in Soho for all the funds they raise,
Specially for our mariners and veterans of war,
And the unsung heroes that struggled at the fore.

On the corner of Old Compton Street this pub’s a little gem
Built in seventeen hundred, her pedigree’s from then,
Plenty are the bar stools but not a lot of space,
Hearty entertainment is the highlight of the place.

Some clientele enthral with witty quips so gay,
Bonding all together in their camp and funny way,
They recognize the value of duty to the end,
Selfless with their time and energy they lend.

Famous for its drag shows and fabulous inside,
Historic and important for old London’s pride,
Performers are just marvellous, open and sincere,
Collecting for our heroes when punters come for cheer.

Raising cash for brave folk is humble and sublime,
Patrons of the Molly Mogs do it all the time,
This cultured bar is friendly to all of us out there,
Best of all a grand spot for those that really care.

Joe Earl Nov. 2009

LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/poetry-ballads/14356-got-fan-molly-w-hence-pushing-boat-out.html

Until now wondered myself why I chose the name Molly when I put together Molly v tin fish:

Think I have an idea at what was in my head then:

Molly v tin fish LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/poetry-ballads/14315-molly-v-tin-fish.html

The Ballad of Molly Mogg (first published as "Molly Mogg, or the Fair Maid of the Inn") is a poem written by John Gay with contributions from Alexander Pope and Dean Swift. It is written about Molly Mogg, the beautiful barmaid at the Rose Inn, Wokingham, England.

LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Molly_Mog

K.

Neil Morton
10th January 2013, 11:52 PM
My word, Keith you have brought back memories of my youth. I left school at 14 and secured a job as a commis waiter in the West End. this because I had ambitions of joining the MN as a steward. The Howard Hotel situated close to Australia House and Temple tube station was ideal to get around The Strand, Trafalgar Sq. and what is now called Theatre Land. As my work entailed split shifts I spent many and hour or two at a matinee and one was the Mouse Trap. Also Flanders and Swan, Stop the World I wanna Get Off etc. Often went to the little Cartoon Shows that ran for an hour Disney and Looney Tunes. If I worked the breakfast/lunch shift I would go to Leicester Sq and watch a film.
Everything was very cheap, it had to be on 3 quid a week. I rode the Underground from Morden to the Temple every working day often going home as late as 11pm in complete safety.
My fellow commis and I thought we were very bold and brave walking around Soho's cafe society Ha Ha. From what I've heard I doubt I would be game today.

Keith at Tregenna
11th January 2013, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=Neil Morton;114180] RE:Howard Hotel situated close to Australia House and Temple tube station was ideal to get around The Strand, Trafalgar Sq. and what is now called Theatre Land. QUOTE]

Know the Howard well had an interview for Assistant Manager and the tour, came from a tourist hotel back ground. I kmew it was not on, when the personnel chap, in tails ask me why I wanted to join the Howard, said I both wanted to move to the 4 and 5 star bracket: He retorted, we are neither 4 or 5 star we are luxury. Went to a three star in Cardiff. more my cup of tea.

K.

Keith at Tregenna
11th January 2013, 11:50 PM
Last stop and the tube back to the train, stopped at the Shakespeare, Carnaby Street for a pint: Her indoors is much younger, understood the Kings road and punk, but knew little of Carnaby etc, though she is in her element at present day camden. Plan was to eventtually swop for a younger model, but now look at sticking with my nurse as I enter old age.

And as:

I ADORE HER.

K.

Captain Kong
12th January 2013, 02:06 PM
SORRY TO INTERUPT, TODAY SATURDAY AT 2.50 PM THE FILM `MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY` CHANNEL FIVE, in UK
Brando as Christian and Trevor Howard as Bligh
Excellent show. that is where I will be in four weeks.
Cheers
Brian

Keith at Tregenna
12th January 2013, 05:40 PM
Though hard to believe, driving past our local theatre the next day, saw the new bill boards and the MOUSE TRAP, in May at Aylesbury. London was a wee bit special and although could walk to the local show, would miss much. Mainly the in my pocket, but also a London Experience that generally has become more Tower Hill visits of late.

LOOK FORWARD TO A NEXT VISIT. K.

Neil Morton
13th January 2013, 10:30 PM
Very interesting what you wrote re the above Keith. When I worked there in 1953/54 it was more your shabby/ chic. There certainly was no personel manager. Each Dept head interviewed applicants. Whilst on a nostalgic walk through my old haunts in 1976 I noted that the hotel had moved into a new building so I went in for a quick shufti. Lots of marble and toffy nosed gits in tails. On taking a quick look in the restaurant I noted that the clientelle was much the same, ie wealthy barristers and lawyers from the Inns of Court and the Temple Garden Quadrangle.
There used to be a really good pub just around the corner called The Cheshire Cheese where hotel staff from all around gathered because it stayed open between 3pm and 5pm when all the others closed.
Cheers to one and all Neil.

Bill Bland
14th January 2013, 12:07 AM
Does anyone remember back to the 1960s when London transport workers held their yearly conference in Blackpool and some wag got up and said it should change its name to West Indian Transport, according to the press he got howeled down. I would say he had guts. People in those days had a bit more freedom of speach.

happy daze john in oz
14th January 2013, 04:45 AM
London Underground celbrated it's 150 birthday last week.
Mousetrap been around for about 50 years now, here in Oz for a season in melbourne.

Keith at Tregenna
22nd June 2013, 09:20 PM
The theatre was just along the road from THE MOLLY MOGS: I thought I knew London pretty well, but find something new every visit: I must have passed this pub a thousand times and after Capt.Joe Earl penned a poem about it a little while ago.

MOLLY MOG`S DRAG SHOW:

It’s the greatest show for sailors when they roll in from sea,

With Trannies and the Queens imparting repartee,

Singing songs from music halls down old memory lanes

Playing with their posies or forming daisy chains,

They stick up for each other and over backwards bend,

The proof is in the pudding with the Ackers that they send,

So here’s to Molly Mogs and all gender types within,

For raising funds for heroes and donations in a tin.

LINK: http://joesverse.simplesite.com/160596387