PDA

View Full Version : Kindles

Colin Hawken
2nd December 2012, 07:52 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what's a kindle?

Tony Morcom
2nd December 2012, 08:13 PM
Its a small E Reader for storing and reading books on a screen rather than carrying the books around. About twice the size of a Nintendo DSi. The Kindle is specific to Amazon. You can also download the Kindle as a free app on your PC and read it from there which is what I have done. The advantage of these E Readers is that they are highly portable and hence very useful for those who do a lot of traveling.

Captain Kong
2nd December 2012, 09:04 PM
I do not know what a Nintendo DSi. is or kindle and do not have an App or a mobile phone. Is an App an Apple computer? am I missing something in todays life
All these are new words to me. must have stayed at sea too long.
I think I am a dinosaur, I dont think I could read a computer all day like a book.
Brian.

Doc Vernon
2nd December 2012, 09:20 PM
Hi Capt
Yes one has to try and keep up with this ever changing World of strange gadgets haha!
An App is jus short for application ,you get all types of apps that you can download for various reasons!
Apps for Mobile Phones,Computers,I Books,Tablets and the sort!
All sort of gibberish to me at times too LOL!
Keep Apping !! not Yapping LOL!
Cheers

PS Aldi here are having a really good Special this Week with the sale of the following!

Onix 7inch 16GB Android Tablet at just $99.99 thats about $100 off the normal price!
I am off to get one on Wed when the sale starts!

Ian Malcolm
2nd December 2012, 11:34 PM
I now have 6 books on Amazon Kindle.

Regards

Ian

happy daze john in oz
3rd December 2012, 11:44 AM
Its a small E Reader for storing and reading books on a screen ..........

And there was stupid me thinking kindle was what you started the fire with. You learn something new every day.

Have Read Neils book, very good.

happy daze john in oz
3rd December 2012, 11:47 AM
Brian mate, kindle is what you start the fire with. an app is a small apple, nintendo is a martial art.

Captain Kong
3rd December 2012, 02:25 PM
Hi Vernon what is a Onix 7inch 16GB Android Tablet sounds like something doctor gives when doing a Prostate massage.
I wouldnt buy one, sounds painful.
Am I in the same world?
Brian

Gulliver
3rd December 2012, 03:04 PM
Brian mate, kindle is what you start the fire with. an app is a small apple, nintendo is a martial art.

Brian,I think that you and all of us here on site are doing very well really by getting to grips with all this technology.

I even heard today that Pope Benedict has opened a Twatter (:tr_oops: Twitter ) ! Account ,to show that the RC Church is embracing the modern world (True Story)-. Presumably he won't tweet himself but he will have one of his (male)'hand-maidens' ,as it were,to do his tweeting for him. Bless Him !

E-Readers.There are three main brands of E-Reader on the market;-

KINDLE -as has been said it's a small piece of wood to light a fire.Well, it's either that or a very considerate attitude towards the person you are having an affectionate quick feel of...

KOBO. This is a Nigerian tribe,and Elder Dempster Line had named one of their 'K'-class vessels after it.

NOOK.This is the newest E-reader to enter the fray. You could really call it a Nook-E- .Now that I suppose really must be self-explanatory?

Cheers
Gulliver- who's always glad to help out with pertinent extremely accurate info.
I don't use 'Google' these days.I'm having a one-man moral-indignation protest against Google,as I've just heard that they (along with Starbucks and Amazon)are hardly paying any corporation tax in this country.11564

happy daze john in oz
4th December 2012, 05:48 AM
Gulliver mate, they are doing the same here and most other western countries. The systems allow them to get away with paying almost no tax. But then again when you are floating in cyber space how is the tax man supposed to get an appointment to see you?

leratty
4th December 2012, 09:04 AM
Kindle are a abomination to those who love books! Of course understand there are people who are not per se book lovers so will for whatever reason take up this format as it is easy. Though easy reading off a small screen? Hmm + without the warm feel along with smell of a real book, na not for this little wood duck.
What is nicer than browsing a fine book shop wherever you are nothing I say. We found W. H. Smiths here in Paris what a joy to rummage around in though for one like me an expensive rummage (:
Capt. Kong do not worry you are not missing too much, I feel a bit like Mr. V. Menadue now days with all these new apps etc. This morning had a friend in HK send me an e request via LinkedIn asking "to have me as a professional contact" boy oh boy I was faster than Speed Gordon in ripping off a reply "keep me out of it" so many none to pleasing stories abound of parties or their families of being on Face Book, Twitter or the LinkedIn type spots they are just another huge invasion of your privacy which certainly in regards the first will come back to haunt the young ones in later life I feel. Shall instead buy Drifting Beneath The Red Duster Neil. Richard

Ivan Cloherty
4th December 2012, 09:56 AM
Richard, your a man after my own heart, couldn't agree more, the feel of a book does it for me, borrowed one of those fancy 'thingymabobs' from a friend, not for me as a reading medium. Maybe I cannot carry two thousand books around with me, but I like to digest what I am reading, sometimes from crumpled or well worn pages where I know others have passed and enjoyed. Also had a request from LinkedIn fraid they got an Exocet directed at them.

Captain Kong
4th December 2012, 11:11 AM
Can you imagine Port Said 1952
George Roby, Jock McGregor seling Port Said `bibles`on a kindle.
"Very good bargain my friend."

Brian

Keith Tindell
4th December 2012, 12:22 PM
Not just the Kindles, myself and my wife called in at the pub on Sunday for lunch, on the next table was 3 youngsters, for the whole of our time eating our meal, they spent texting to other people, never conversed with each other the whole time!!!, its gone mad KT

happy daze john in oz
5th December 2012, 05:45 AM
Can you imagine Port Said 1952
George Roby, Jock McGregor seling Port Said `bibles`on a kindle.
"Very good bargain my friend."

Brian

'Those' postcards on a kindle, just not the same.

Keith Moody
5th December 2012, 06:12 AM
unless you have been through the canel, i doubt if some of the people on this site are aware of such a facinating piece of lititure the Port Said Bible is/was., perhaps capt. Kong could give an explanation of the books contents?
keith moody
R635978

Ivan Cloherty
5th December 2012, 08:28 AM
May be wise not to Brian, there may be children reading this :rolleyes:

Captain Kong
5th December 2012, 10:57 AM
The books were "printed by the New York Bible Society" so it said. the pages were page 4 next page 15 next page 2 next page 21 ad in.fin.
the content is best left to the imagination.
es salaam
Brian.

happy daze john in oz
6th December 2012, 02:02 AM
Some of it if I recall needed more than imagination. Some of that stuff was beyond belief.

Gulliver
6th December 2012, 08:16 AM
...and we sailors had(have !) VIVID imaginations it has to be said.
I can't recall noticing the non sequitur page numbers ,they were almost always stuck together.
They were collectors items even from new...and certainly changed hands many times....

♫ Oh I don't care if I do go blind- Dooh dah! Doo dah ! ♫

Gulliver

happy daze john in oz
7th December 2012, 05:30 AM
Now I know why you always have dark glasses on!!!!

Gulliver
7th December 2012, 07:53 AM
Now I know why you always have dark glasses on!!!!

:cool: ...and My favourite song was always Max Bygraves... ♫ 'You Need Hands' 11600 ♫ ♫, preferably with accompaniment on the one-eyed piccolo...

cappy
7th December 2012, 10:39 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what's a kindle?i think he means read it with a candle regards cappy:)

Tony Morcom
7th December 2012, 10:50 AM
Out of respect for Neil Morton whose thread "Drifting Beneath the Red Duster" got somewhat hijacked I have moved all these posts here as a separate topic.

Rocky
7th December 2012, 07:58 PM
Just been out and bought some 3d kindles for presents yep modern tech sure is great you guys have all seen them thousands of times made of paper and called BOOKS :muahaha:

John Arton
7th December 2012, 08:42 PM
Hi from an old fogey
But yes I do have a kindle, along with a laptop, desk top and tablet hah hah.
The kindle I think is great, you can go onto Amazon and down load some really good books for FREE. Only wish they had been around when I was sailing as it would have done away with having to have 4 or 5 hardback/paperbacks in your luggage for voyage reading.
With the kindle you could join your ship with a collection of hundreds of books for voyage reading.
rgds
JA

Colin Hawken
7th December 2012, 09:03 PM
All very interesting.I think I'll stick with a proper book.I'm just another dinosaur really.However I haven't bought a national paper in years.Read them on the computer. Several different nationalities Aussie, NZ occasional American ones. So perhaps I'm not such a dinosaur after all. :D

happy daze john in oz
8th December 2012, 03:49 AM
All tis talk of tablets and the like. Doc told me to take one tablet twice a day. How do i do that without a piece of string/

Tony. you say you down oad a kindle on to your PC for convinience. How convinient is it to carry a PC around with you just to read a book?

Ian Malcolm
8th December 2012, 10:51 AM
Although I, too, much prefer a printed book to e-book, the latter has values which have not been mentioned on this forum.

Publishers do not accept books for publication on their merits, but on what will sell and make a profit. Consequently, trivia is more likely to be accepted than good stuff.

If an author cannot then find a conventional publisher, he can resort to publishing his/her work as an e-book and, if he/she has not the technical skill to do this, he/she can employ someone who does.

Another thing in the e-book's favour is that out-of-print books can sometimes be found in e-book form, and, of course, Amazon Kindle is by far the most prolific.

Best regards

Ian

Duke Drennan
8th December 2012, 01:12 PM
It is also worth mentioning that Kindles and Nooks etc are much more than just e-readers. They function just like I-Pads in that you can use them to browse the web and do just about anything a computer will do. And, if you have a wireless printer you can download the particular printer's app to the tablet and print direct from it. I do this regularly, and the app even gives me a graph screen showing ink capacity etc. Plus there are literally thousands of apps that can be downloaded, a lot of them free or for as little as a couple of bucks. My TV cable company provides an app that allows me to watch TV on the tablet. I frequently sit on the back patio on a Saturday morning a watch a couple of live Barclays Premier league games on it. I bought a new Mac computer about a year ago and now rarely use it, I do everything on the tablet including email and even this post. Just thought I'd mention this for those unaware of their functionality.

Gulliver
8th December 2012, 04:08 PM
... yes and ,I can also store up to free 5 Gb of personal documents/pictures on it using Amazon 'Cloud' (you can pay a small fee if you require extra space.)I do this regularly as an extra backup facility in addition to my external backup drive,knowing it can never be lost.
I also never have to worry about newspapers as I have a subscription to The Independent. Don't need my laptop to read the paper-just my Kindle.

For anyone wishing to try one,you can always download a free App from Amazon,(called Kindle for PC) which is how I first started getting to grips with E-Readers.It sits on your PC Desktop,and you can download a regularly changing selection of some free books to it -look in Kindle Store-Free Books ,as well of course other purchased books in seconds. Downloading the Kindle App will give you an idea how the Kindle concept looks and works.

(Yes,I really did highlight the free parts above- and no,I do not work for Amazon !).
Happy reading !

Gulliver 11608

alf corbyn
8th December 2012, 04:28 PM
i like books

John Pruden
8th December 2012, 04:29 PM
greatest things ever i can talk to myself {at last} download the books {for free} and away you go?jp

Duke Drennan
8th December 2012, 04:52 PM
Another feature, if you don't want to pay for and download a book, is that they connect directly with your local library. Books can be downloaded from your library for free with something like a 2 week period before the download expires. You can also swap reading material with other tablet readers. My wife does this all the time with her Nook tablet. Me, I prefer to watch the fitba at the weekend, check and write email, and, in general, browse the few sites that I frequent. For the cheap cost of a wireless router at home, it's amazing what you can do without even switching on your computer. Routers are so easy to get up and running too. Simply plug your Internet connection into the router, open the software that comes with it, set your password and choose the security level you want, WPA2 is the highest level, and voila, everything else in the house is connected online including tv's, DVD players (to download Netflicks movies), printers, and any other device that offers online connection. All without a single cable. Just as laptops signaled the coming eventual demise of Desktop PC's, tablets are now overtaking laptops in the convenience stakes and to no surprise. With the ever spreading availability of free wireless, tablets can be taken anywhere and used.

Colin Hawken
8th December 2012, 07:31 PM
Why have people got to take these things with them? They get on the Bus with a mobile phone jammed under one ear.They drop money in font of the Driver and grunt. The Driver has to guess where the Passenger wishes to go. That has to be pig ignorance. Buses now are being equipped with free WI FI,whatever that is. The Bus Driver won't have a chance of getting any sense out of these idiots. I believe in the future humans will be mutes.They will have forgotten how to speak. I believe there are cases of people sitting in the same room and texting each other rather than speaking. In the days when I had a car I then always had a mobile phone with me,for obvious reasons. For health reasons I no longer drive.I was on a Bus sometime ago and some guy was talking in a very loud voice on a mobile phone. He gave his name,address and bank account details.Anyone could have written this down and cleared his bank account. Guess he was trying to impress with his financial wheeling and dealing. After he'd got of the Bus the general consensus of opinion was "What a bloody idiot." I still have a mobile phone,not quite sure where it is.It's in my flat somewhere. It most certainly does not go to the Pub with me.

Ron B Manderson
8th December 2012, 09:29 PM
Oh Dear!!
must be terrible to be left far behind.
Ask my wife she keeps getting me to buy these things for her.
All the fancy mobile phones now

I asked her if she would rather have a pressy from Ann Summers. Still await the answer, but the look I think said "NO. " mind you I may be wrong.
The stiches in my face and back don't hurt too much.

Mine ? just a 15 pay as you go that goes ring ring , then I answer it. Good old Tesco's
Ron the batcave