PDA

View Full Version : Curly brackets.

Rodney Mills
11th November 2012, 09:28 PM
Hope I don't pish anyone off, the following info. is just meant to be informative.

There are three types of grammatical enclosures, two are used in writing and one in theoretical mathematics:

(1) Parentheses ( ), used to enclose material that is supplementary; interpretive, intrusive, and to end annoying interruption to sentence structure.

Example: Supplementary. Rodney D.R. Mills was a galley boy (known as Rod to his shipmates) on the "Good Hope Castle".

(2) Brackets [ ]. Are used to enclose corrections; omissions, interpolation (to alter), to insert words into the text, and to set-off uncertainties [?].

Example. Insertion. The author of Hamlet [William Shakespeare] certainly knew how to write a tragedy.

(3) Curly brackets { }. Used primarily in theoretical mathematics to enclose "sets". Sets can be anything, numbers, letters, colors etc.

Example. { }. Numbers. A set-theoretic complement. The first set minus the second set that contains all the elements of the first set that are not in the second set.

{124} - {134} = 2 (I warned you it is theoretical math). { } means this is a set with no elements. { a,b,c,} means the set consists of a,b,c.

I happen to enjoy mathematics and that's how I found out about "curly brackets".

Cheers, Rodney

Ivan Cloherty
11th November 2012, 10:24 PM
Rodney, put that bottle of hooch back in the cabinet at once, your parents are due home at any minute :confused:

Rodney Mills
12th November 2012, 12:23 AM
Sir Ivan:

How dare you Sir! I spent six years in Oz...it's plonk!

Ceers (sic), Rodney

P.s. There was no like button or Thanks on my screen...So you get a massage (sic).

happy daze john in oz
12th November 2012, 05:48 AM
Oh Rodney how could you? Plonk is what the Poms call it, derived from Vin Blance during WW1.
Here in Oz it is , GROG OR THE AMBER FLUID. Plonk can only be drunk from a bottle concealed in a brown paper bag by an itenerant sitting on a park bench.

Doc Vernon
12th November 2012, 05:56 AM
They also call it Plonk in South Afrca John!
There are many outers(Wineos) there that carry their Plonk around with them,tring to hide the bottle!
Mainly in the poorer Area i might add!
Cheers

john sutton
12th November 2012, 07:35 AM
john in oz
last time i was in oz early 50,s(the only time)it was penfolds plonk sold in half gallon jugs.Apparently it was aussie sherry.not that I ever indulged?
john sutton

alf corbyn
12th November 2012, 03:51 PM
i only knew plonk when i discovered penfolds in oz. i did like the advert with ithe bottle balanced in midair pouring the wine into the glass.

Captain Kong
12th November 2012, 03:54 PM
Hi Rod,
I was on the GOOD HOPE CASTLE in 1959 then took her Hong Kong for the breakers
Were you there then?
Cheers
Brian.
PS.
In 1955 I was known as the Penfold Kid in Melbourne. only 4 bob a bottle then at the bottle shop in the SIR CHARLES HOTHAM corner of Flinders and Spencer Streets. Now a back packers.

Rodney Mills
12th November 2012, 07:03 PM
John in Oz.,

Yes I know...I spent many a wonderful evening sitting on park benches with Dr. Penfolds watching the sun come UP!

Doc Vernon,

Aah! District 6, a full paper sack and a view of Table Mountain...What memories.

John in Spain,

En Espana he usado una botella de cuero no es una dolsa de papel, el vino tinto que en mal estado mis camisas.

Alf Corbin,

What's a glass?

Captain,

25-2-53 to 13-3-55. Home Trade, London, Hamburg, Emden, London.

Cheers all, Rodney

happy daze john in oz
13th November 2012, 05:52 AM
Dr. Penfolds brings back some memeories of my mispent youth. As a lad at the tender age of about 12 my mate and I could buy a bottle of either Penfolds Port or Sherry at the local Unwins for about half a crown. We hid the bottle behind the garden shed and each night would have a few egg cups full, no glasses available. THat went on for a couple of years, mum and dad never found out but mum often commented that I had a funny smell about me!!!!

Ivan Cloherty
13th November 2012, 08:09 AM
John, just as well she didn't smell you when you had been blackberry picking in Africa :p

Colin Hawken
13th November 2012, 01:34 PM
A typical Ivan comment.You don't improve with age do you? :D:D

Graham Payne
13th November 2012, 02:41 PM
Hi John
Sadly " Unwins " is no more as is "Threshers" its mostley in the supermarkets now.
When buying a bottle of Gin however it can be uplifting.:)
The little girl on the supermarket till rings the bell for another little girl to come and ask you if you are 18 years of age or more, not bad for a balding ginger haired wrinkley aged 66. :p
I picked the wife up off the floor after she fell over laughing, I really don't know why she fell at all,
I didn't think it was that funny :rolleyes:

Tony Geeves
14th November 2012, 09:40 AM
Seen off many a flagon of Docter Penfold and Mister McWilliams on a Melbourne park bench. Am just amazed Ive reach the age of 73, no thanks to the gloom and doom merchants that predicted my early demise!

Captain Kong
14th November 2012, 11:36 AM
Isnt it lovely that we start off with a lesson in Grammar and Mathematics off Rodney and end up bevied with a gallon of Penfolds Wine on a park bench in Melbourne. singing waltzing me tabnab.
Only Seafarers can do that. Maybe that is what is missing in Colleges today. A lesson in life.
Cheers
Hic!!
Brian.

happy daze john in oz
15th November 2012, 05:46 AM
Seen off many a flagon of Docter Penfold and Mister McWilliams on a Melbourne park bench. Am just amazed Ive reach the age of 73, no thanks to the gloom and doom merchants that predicted my early demise!

Some of those park benches can get a bit cold at night.

Geoff Anderson
15th November 2012, 06:49 AM

That's because its closely related to embalming fluid, after drinking that stuff you'll never rot. Some of our neighbours use it for deweeding their drive ways

happy daze john in oz
16th November 2012, 05:39 AM
That's because its closely related to embalming fluid, after drinking that stuff you'll never rot. Some of our neighbours use it for deweeding their drive ways

That may explain the leather looking skin of some of those guys on the partk benches. Do not see so many these days, maybe because the brown paper bag has been replaced with a plastic one!

How did we get from curly brackets to Dr. Penfolds , the mind boggles!!

Geoff Anderson
16th November 2012, 06:21 AM
Haven't a clue John, but wasn't it always the same at sea start on one subject and end up with 6 others sometimes there were more than Heinz 57 varieties
I had eighteen bottles of whiskey in my cellar and was told by my
Other half to empty the contents of each and every bottle down the sink, or
Else... I said I would and proceeded with the unpleasant task. I
Withdrew the cork from the first bottle and poured the contents down the
Sink with the exception of one glass, which I drank. I then withdrew
The cork from the second bottle and did likewise wit
H it, with the
Exception of one glass, which I drank. I then withdrew the cork from
The thrid bottle and poured the whiskey down the sink which I drank. I
Pulled the cork from the fourth bottle down the sink and poured the
Bottle down the glass, which I drank. I pulled the bottle from the
Cork of the next and drank one sink out of it, and threw the rest down the glass. I pulled the sink out of the next glass and poured the cork
Down the bottle. Then I corked the sink with the glass, bottled the
Drink and drank the pour. When I had everything emptied, I steadied
The house with one hand, counted the glasses, corks, bottles, and sinks
With the other, which were twent-nine, and as the houses came by I
Counted them again, and finally I had all the houses in one bottle,
Which I drank. I'm not under tha affluence of incohol as some tinkle
Peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so
Feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the
Longer I get.

Gulliver
16th November 2012, 10:30 AM
That may explain the leather looking skin of some of those guys on the partk benches. Do not see so many these days, maybe because the brown paper bag has been replaced with a plastic one!

How did we get from curly brackets to Dr. Penfolds , the mind boggles!!

Those see-through plastic bags-don’t you just hate them!

Yes,I know we’re supposed to use those sturdy recyclable ‘bags for life’ (which sounds very optimistic in some cases,-I think they mean the bag,not your lifespan) -but on the occasions when you forget to take it with you,and I suppose it’s going to happen more as I get older, you’re forced to walk through town with your purchases ‘on display’ in a see-through job,as it were.

Last time I just happened to be collared by the nice enough but nosiest lady in town,( I couldn’t avoid her quick enough,She was like a battleship in mid channel,sweeping up everything in her path,)and of course I couldn’t get away from her.
In between opening and closing her mouth ,her eyes were busy doing impossible acrobatics at everyone and everything passing by,as well as trying to scan from every conceivable angle my Co-op flimsy see-through plastic bag- the contents of course which were well on display.
I ‘m not going to explain or justify here the reasons why I had this selection of consumables,but I had ;--one (only)very large baking potato;a mini feather duster,( it was a 99p special offer)-I thought it would be ideal for my laptop keyboard-who cares if it was bright orange? );a steak and kidney puff pastry Pukka Pie( Interestingly I once overheard one young chap pronouncing it ‘Puker';a bunch of purple grapes and a packet of Tenor lady (ahem) female incontinence pads- not for their intended purpose though. ! I wonder what that same young chap would have called those then?)

So,it was a microcosm of my daily life on that particular day-All blatantly on display -thanks to a see-through bag.

I’ve been paranoid ever since ,looking at everybody I meet for facial expressions of either sympathy or disapproval ,as Mrs What’s her-name-would surely have broadcast the contents of my see-through bag by now to all 14,000 inhabitants of the town,or maybe further afield to...Stourbridge?...or London?..or oh no,not on the T'internet !:hair_raising:
Do any of you chaps find growing older ashore a challenge,it’s not easy,is it?…
I want to go back to sea.

happy daze john in oz
17th November 2012, 05:42 AM
Those indestructable 'green; bags that take more energy to produce than the plastic, that will take it is estimated about 400 years to decompose unlike the see through plastic. But I get very angry with a couple of shops here. Apart from Aldi plastic bags are free, but not from Target, no they want 10 cents for each plastic bag. You know the type, split as soon as a sharp edge hits the side. I refuse to buy one, why should I have to pay to carry a bag with the shops Logo on, they should pay me to advertise the shop, not the other way around!
I wonder if they come in curly types??

Keith Tindell
17th November 2012, 08:35 AM
Hi John, Re Logo`s, i always felt the same about car logos, why should i advertise their logo on my car? KT

alf corbyn
17th November 2012, 09:27 AM
john turn the bag inside out. keith cover those logos on pickups with a sheet of hardboard.

Jack Jenkins
19th November 2012, 08:08 PM
Looking forward to the dissertation on ''Inverted commas'' Full stops and exclamation marks.:rolleyes:;);)

Jack

Neil Morton
19th November 2012, 09:20 PM
Doctor Penfolds has won a whole swag of EU medals in recent years and is far to expensive here in Oz for a daily nip. I'm a cask man myself. Oh and bye the way I went to school with Curly Brackets.;)

happy daze john in oz
20th November 2012, 06:32 AM
Yes mate and I went with snoty White, always had a runnny nose.

Geoff Anderson
20th November 2012, 08:59 AM
We had sniffer Greenslade, he would be working over his books and there would come this huge greenie sliding out of one of his nostrils, it would hang by the slimest of treads and just before the point of no return SNIFF up it would go like a snapped back spring, only to start its journey all over again.
Many a time i was whacked on the back of the head by the teacher for day dreaming, when in fact i was mesmerised with sniffers greenies.

j.sabourn
20th November 2012, 09:15 AM
{( Plonk)} Penfolds Have I got the brackets right, cant find the other ones on this keyboard. John Sabourn

Geoff Anderson
20th November 2012, 09:19 AM
Here they are [ ] hiding under the {}

j.sabourn
20th November 2012, 09:33 AM
Penfolds{6[6(Plonk)+6]+6} How many bottles, is there enough for a party, for us moderate drinkers. John Sabourn.

Keith Tindell
20th November 2012, 09:48 AM
Hi Geof, we must have gone to school with the same lad, when i was there he was known as* snotty Niagra*, as you say , mesmerising to watch, KT

alf corbyn
20th November 2012, 10:01 AM
when i was driving we had one driver called greensleeves, he was always wiping his nose on his sleeve

j.sabourn
20th November 2012, 12:34 PM
78 bottles penfold I make it. Cheers John Sabourn

Evan Lewis
21st November 2012, 03:10 AM
Though haven't tried it myself.Have it on good authority,via a few B.T C.rew. They happened to be in Fremantle, on a Sunday. Whether their Funds were exhausted ,or no Sub. was available,not sure.

Anyhow, couple of recent references to the old Doctor ,Penfold's. A bottle of same .went to Auction ,not very long ago ,realised some sixtythou. dollars.

The recent visit of Charles and Camilla to the S.Australia Winery. Has dignified the Brew further.
Camilla ,Skoled! it no bother.
CHEERS!

j.sabourn
21st November 2012, 03:34 AM
Thank goodness someone can remember the proper title of the brew. I always knew it as Dr.Penfolds. The average Australian does not remember this, so must have been a seamans term. Used to be the cheapest plonk or thereabouts going. Now as already stated one of the best on the market. Either peoples tastes have taken a downward turn, or the brew has been transformed. Cheers John Sabourn

Captain Kong
21st November 2012, 11:11 AM
Dr, Penfolds used to be four shillings a bottle, [Aus. 16s and 8 pence to the Pound.] so it was around 3 & 5d a bottle. That was in the bottle shop in the `Sir Charles Hotham` on the corner of Flinders and Spencer Streets in Melbourne. 1955.
Now in our Supermarket Penfolds is around 8 a bottle.
Cheers
Brian.

Rodney Mills
21st November 2012, 09:01 PM
Captain Kong was the first to marvel how this thread segued from grammar and theoretical math to who knows what and where. Ivan Cloherty initiated it by alluding to the HOOTCHinoo Indians of coastal Alaska, historical makers of illicit and inferior liquor [hooch]. Closely followed by John in Oz, with an educational instruction on the concealment of Dr. Penfolds elixir in environmentally friendly brown paper sacks, and later a reminiscence about his childhood girl friend Snotty White. What followed was a truly courageous act of wine tasting valor, an instructive comparison on the similarities twixt embalming fluid and plonk by connoisseur Geoff Anderson...what a palate! I would never have the nerve (or the stomach) to attempt that, thank you Geoff. More childhood chums preceded an appeal by Jack Jenkins for a full stop (period in the U.S.A.) and the inverted comma as a thread. Now this entreaty staggered my imagination. I could imagine what you lot could do to a "dangling modifier" and a "colon". I then got to thinking perhaps our lady shipmates could do justice to a "period", a "faulty period" and what it could lead to, "contractions". How about true life confessions, "How I broke my "hyphen [-]," or "I'm sad I'm no longer a "virgule [/]" ". I wonder how long it would take for someone to enquire if my former Townie (Southend-on-Sea) Tony, now in Cebu wears a "diphthong". How about a leap (swish?) from HOMOnyms to Queens on the Castle boats..."Interrupters" and children opening the bedroom door at an inopportune moment? "Redundancy" to the decline of the Merchant Navy? "Subordination", a Galley Boy to Ship's Cook? "Ellipsis" (...)...and how the sky went dark in the middle of one... a "dependent clause", Santa quitting the toy business and moving in with y'all. As for "agreement" I doubt it could happen. Finally a "schwa", an upside-down lower case letter e a pronunciation symbol. It stumped me...sounds foreign to me...sort of Welsh.

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells"

Dr. Suess

Cheers, Rodney, and this will teach you to take the p... out of pretty "curly brackets".

Captain Kong
21st November 2012, 09:25 PM
I dont know what to say after that, Rodney,
You just about covered everything. You have rendered me speechless.
But it has been a very interesting thread with all its travels there and back.:)
Cheers
Brian.

David Williams
21st November 2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Rodney.
Thanks for the informtion,I used to lie awake
at night thinking about them !!!!
Dave Williams

David Williams
21st November 2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Rodney.
Once it sinks in,and I get the gist of what you said,
I will let you know if I really like it or not.
dave Williams

Ivan Cloherty
21st November 2012, 11:46 PM
and this will teach you to take the p... out of pretty "curly brackets".

Rodney you comforted us and put into words what we all wanted to say, and said it so well. I've also been comforted by some curly covered brackets in the past :p

happy daze john in oz
22nd November 2012, 05:31 AM
.......Now in our Supermarket Penfolds is around 8 a bottle.

Not a lot of it in the bottle shops here, most goes for export. We have become a bit fussy here in what we drink.

Red Lead Ted
27th November 2012, 01:20 AM
..................I picked the wife up off the floor after she fell over laughing, I really don't know why she fell at all,
I didn't think it was that funny :rolleyes:

I had a good laugh at your post m8, I was in a supermarket the other day i always get drawn to the booze section cant for the life of me explain why ;) As we walked to the checkout my wife asked me was that girl holding a big finger on a pole which read this Que please a girl who lived around the corner from us, OH yes i said she had words with me the other week after her cat attacked me after ambushing me on the road in her hedge clawed the bloody ears of me, So i clawed it back with my size 10 boots. As we entered the checkout she recognised me she must have been on one of those job creation schemes. So i asked her { WHO ARE YOU POINTING THE FINGURE AT} Revenge is sweet Regards Terry.

Des Taff Jenkins
27th November 2012, 04:24 AM
Hi All.
After reading all the bad reports on Dr Penfolds cream of life, the ( ) stuff I was weaned on as a deckboy on the Aussie coast in the early 50s, I have come to the conclusion that the wrong { }was being used to conclude that it was [] plonk. I'll have you know that at the time it was the dearest drop I could afford, and even my cabin mate used to put some water in the empty bottle to see if he could wet his lips on the necter.
Now of course everyone and his dog like Camilla simply puts the Penfold out of our price range once again, as of course it always was, I could as a deck boy only afford one bottle at a time, thank God.
Cheers Des

happy daze john in oz
27th November 2012, 05:24 AM
Thinking about curly brackets brought to mind some other curly bits, mainly curly hair.
There are three kinds of hair, the very straight stuff. Left long and cut with a fringe looks like the cinema curtains.
Then we have the ocean hair, the very wavy stuff that often went it's own way much like the waves on the ocean.
Then we have the curly hair. Now the only ones who have this are the ones who did as mum and dad said and ate the crusts.