PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool City.

Jim Brady
27th October 2012, 08:49 PM
You can now add Liverpool to Your Tranquil WEE places that you have visited (or will visit)So all you people who are always taking the pizz about stolen hubcaps can eat you words.After decades of gags about Scouse scallies,figures show that London,Birmingham,Manchester,Leeds and Sheffield allhave more burglaries and car crimes per person.Among big cities only Newcastle is safer than Liverpool.People living in South Yorkshire are 50% more likely to be burgled than Scousers.And violent crime attacks are twice as common in London than they are in Merseyside.Just 1% of people in Merseyside were burgled 2011/12.The figure was 20%in Manchester and London and 30%more in West Yorkshire.London car crime was double the Liverpool figure and in Birmingham it was 50% higher.When I watch some of these Police Camera Action shows on TV around the UK and I see the antics that take place in some of the Cities and towns on a saturday night I have never seen anything like that in Liverpool.Some of the most violent ones are in places that I always thought of as a small country villages and the women are often more trouble than the men.As far as I was concerned people that passed comment on how bad Liverpool was had never been here and I'm sure those of you that dont live here but have been here whilst at sea or otherwise will have found it quite a pleasant and safe place to have been.
Regards.
Jim.B

John Callon
27th October 2012, 09:08 PM
Hi Jim
Well there is a coincidence for you. I have just booked 4 nights at the Liner Hotel in Liverpool for March next year, and then I come onto the Computer and there is this thread started by your goodself extolling the virtues of Liverpool. All of which I agree with. But then all of us Scousers have always known that Liverpool was and still is the greatest. Roll on next March which will see my 70th birthday by the way.
Best Regards
John

Jim Brady
27th October 2012, 09:50 PM
John,that was'nt the only coincidence as I was writing that Lou Barron was sending me a pm saying he hopes to visit next May.Lou will certainly see a big change since he was last here but one thing is for sure he will enjoy it.
Regards.
jim.B.

Les Woodard
27th October 2012, 10:10 PM
Just maybe there is nothing left to lift in Liverpool anymore they have stolen the bloody lot and are now venturing further afield. Said with tongue in cheek. Got to look at it from all angles LOL.

Chris Allman
27th October 2012, 10:48 PM
I would not say it was that bad Les but there has been a recent incident at John Lennon Airport

Captain Kong
27th October 2012, 10:49 PM
I spent all my seafaring days sailing and living in Liverpool, used to live in the Southend in Chester Street Number 4, just off Stanhope street near the Flat Iron until they pulled it down around 1973ish.
I used to stagger around Warwick St. Parliament Street and Lime Street etc. No problems. sometimes with a big pay off in the back pocket. I used to drink along the Dock Road, in Broken Nose Jacks, the Boathouse, Mabels, the Caradoc, the Winifred etc, no hassle at all.
Liverpool always had atmosphere, it was vibrant, it was in the atmosphere. I never liked Manchester, very dull in comparison and a lot more crime in Manchester. I had a lot of mates in Liverpool, most are dead now. I still go there and have a drink in the Eldonian now and again.
So you have my support Jim.
I recommended Liverpool University to my son, he had passed for Cambridge and decided too many poofters there so he went to Liverpool Medical School on my advice and became a great Consultant of Liver Diseases and is well known on both sides of the Atlantic., he appears on TV some times talking on Liver diseases. He loves it.
Cheers
Brian.

John Callon
27th October 2012, 11:20 PM
The times you lived in Liverpool Brian you were living not far from where I was brought up. We lived just off Dingle Lane, never had any money, no new clothes at Christmas or any other time for that matter, holidays were never on the angenda - but good wholesome food was put on the table, and as a kid I spent the happiest time of my life, untill I went to sea that is. My grandma lived in Upper Park Street and spent most of her time in the pub on the corner. Remember the Flat Iron and if my memory serves me right there was a Chinese community centre opposite, or some such thing. Park Road used to be where we spent a lot of time as there was a lot of the family who lived in the holy lands, Jacob, Isaac, David and Moses Streets. Great days and memories one can never forget.
Best Regards
John

Lou Barron
27th October 2012, 11:43 PM
During the war Liverpool got a fair hammering but the people never let it get them down as regards to crime there where a lot more of that in a lot of other places i always felt safe when i was in the Pool so Jim you have a very good point in what you have said

John Pruden
28th October 2012, 09:13 AM
i blame the wagon drivers they don't lash the loads properly that's why stuff falls of the back:p:pjp

John Pruden
28th October 2012, 10:45 AM
the majority of people that think al scousers are robbers thieves and any other name they call us have never stepped foot here in the first place!!!! i ask you lads go ashore in any foreign land in a bar you know if a scouser is with you you will be OK? there is thieving that gos on everywhere the thing is we share with friends and lets face it who among us hasn't acquired a bit of hookie gear at one time or another?:pjp

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 11:29 AM
During the war Liverpool got a fair hammering but the people never let it get them down as regards to crime there where a lot more of that in a lot of other places i always felt safe when i was in the Pool so Jim you have a very good point in what you have said
Lou.
Here are two views of Liverpool, The first is of Derby Square. The rooms for the Examination of Mates and Masters is now in the same location from where the photo was taken from. Near the Law Courts.
Queen Victorias Statue in the foreground is still there.
The other photo is from the South side of the City, the Liver Buildings are in the distance.
In the May Blitz in 1940, 2,400 people were killed.
I remember seeing all the devestation around the City Centre and along Castle Street and John Street
and so on. go on zoom and see the devestation better.
It took a hellofa long time to rebuild.
Cheers
Brian

Gulliver
28th October 2012, 12:28 PM
I like Liverpool and even though after about 1974 I never shipped out from there,usually joining and leaving ships abroad,I always felt like it was my home port,having studied there pre-sea. ,and being issued with my first Discharge Book there,and joining my first company Bibby's via an introduction from the BSF(British Shipping Federation) at Mann Island.

It always had that indefinable air of mild excitement-like something was waiting to happen, which made going for a night out in the city a bit exciting...
But, much as I don’t wish to rain on Liverpool’s parade I do think all types of crime have to be considered in the overall picture,if we are not to be unduly blinkered by statistics.For instance,violent crimes.Every city in the U.K.(not just Liverpool) has a lower rate than London -that‘s because -more people live there after all !
And other crimes?
I also agree with the other statements here that there are probably no more thieves and robberies than there are in any other comparably populated cities in the U.K.

But what about organised crime,then?
The following article was written five years ago,and I just wonder how much,or how little,things have changed in the last five years?.

Liverpool revealed as centre for organised crime in North

<tbody>
by Rob Merrick, Liverpool Daily Post Nov. 19th 2007

</tbody>

LIVERPOOL has been revealed as Britain's centre for organised crime outside London, in figures for the number of "Mr Bigs" brought to court.
There were 24 prosecutions in the city in the first year of Britain's FBI-style crime squad, the Serious and Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).
Only the capital, with 89 prosecutions, was a bigger focus for SOCA, which was set up to take the fight to the gangs flooding the country with illegal drugs, as well as guns.
Other big cities, such as Newcastle (14), Manchester (13) and Birmingham (13), saw little more than half the number of prosecutions in Liverpool.

The figures, released by the Home Office, confirm the warnings by Merseyside police that SOCA's eyes must be "firmly focused on Liverpool".
When the agency was established last year, then Deputy Chief Constable Jon Murphy described Liverpool as a "mission critical area", because of its links with Spain, Turkey and South America.
Around 30 former Merseyside police officers, with between 15 and 25 years' experience each, were recruited to its ranks.
Now the Home Office figures have revealed that more than one in 12 of SOCA's total of 283 prosecutions in 2006-7 were in Liverpool.
Perhaps the most high-profile success came in June, when a Merseyside gang was jailed for a total of 133 years for its involvement in a £4m plot to supply drugs.
The conspiracy was smashed when police bugged a car owned by one of the organisers in Formby Hall Golf Club car park, the trial at Liverpool Crown Court was told.
During the investigation, heroin with a street value of £3.5m was discovered in a Rotterdam warehouse, ready for onward transport to Liverpool.
SOCA's annual report also hails the success of "Operation LIMITO", which targeted a Merseyside gang trafficking Class A drugs and firearms into Britain and on to the Republic of Ireland.
Officers seized five Glock 9mm pistols, more than 14,000 rounds of ammunition, 18 magazines, 17,000 in euros and 30 kilos of heroin.
In the annual report, Liverpool, London and Birmingham were described as "significant centres for the distribution of all types of Class A drugs".
It added: "They supply other cities, which in turn operate as regional centres supplying smaller cities and towns."
On a more upbeat note, SOCA described its targeting of key Merseyside criminals among the "positive developments in levels of knowledge in year one".
Overall, it seized one fifth of Europe's cocaine supply in its first year of operation, prevented 35 potential murders and drew up a list of 1,600 crime chiefs, the agency said.
However, it warned: "The profits to be made from serious organised crime ensure that the various activities continue to be attractive and the overall threat to the UK remains high."
Furthermore, with high levels of poppy and coca cultivation, in Afghanistan and Colombia respectively, there was "ready availability" of hard drugs at falling prices.
And there was an increased use of guns by gang members "driven predominantly by the trade in Class A drugs,.

I do like Liverpool Jim and know how defensive you Scousers are about your home city but suggesting nominating it for inclusion in the ‘Tranquil Wee Haven ‘ category(figuratively speaking) must have involved you in a great deal of effort in stuffing your tongue firmly into that cheek…;)
Gulliver

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 12:32 PM
About 15 years ago I used to appear on the Billy Butler show with my old mate Tommy Miller, with Billy and Wally.
It was in Stanley Street then at the top of Dale Street. `Magic 1548`.
We played a couple of `Drunks` a couple of days a week. I was known as `ALEHOUSE` then.
We told tales of drunken exploits in Valparaiso and Tombo Marys and so on , also some of the antics we got up to in Liverpool and New York. A lot of people used to phone in about us.
It wasnt us but someone phoned in to say they had seen us in Lewis`s Store trying to get Up the Down escalator, shouting , "These stairs wont stay still" . We were quite popular then.
I sailed with Tommy on the old `Franconia` in 1956, and still see him regularly, I was having a drink with him in the Eldonian Club on Merchant Navy Day.
He wrote his book "The Pier Head Jump" and he has just done a sequal but cannot find a Publisher.
When he left the sea he became the Galleries Manager at the Albert Dock. now lives at Orrel Park nea to Aintree.
Happy days
Brian.

John Pruden
28th October 2012, 12:49 PM
as someone who has worked all over this country of ours although i am a scouser through and through and maybe a bit bias towards other counties if you make friends with a scouser you have a friend for life we can take anything on the chin and when i get the dopey wheels taken of the car joke my reply is always why pinch wheels that have a perfectly good car attached to them?you foreigners{non scousers}:p must have sailed with a few characters in your sea time:p:pjp

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 01:03 PM
I was involved in a Double murder in Liverpool, The two managers of the Cameo Cinema were shot in a robbery attempt. One man, Johnson, confessed to the murders and got aquited, then Two men were arrested, One, George Kelly, hanged, pleading innocence and the other, Charles Connolly, got ten years in Wakefield for Conspiracy.
I became a very close friend of Charles and I introduced him to an author, George Skelly, and George wrote the book , "Cameo Conspiracy", [on Amazon[, I am in the book.
We with a Liverpool Business man, who was convinced of Charles innocence, campaigned to clear the names of the two innocent men and eventually did so after appealing to the Criminal Appeals Court in London. A little too late for George Kelly as he was hanged and just a little too late for Charles who unfortunately died in Norris Green Asda a little while before, but it brought some comfort to the families.
Because he had had his name cleared George Kelly was dug up from under the car park of Walton Gaol and they had a funeral service in the Catholic Cathedral. George Skelly and I went and they refused to let us in. They had some Security Men on the door. We were the ones who made it possible and cleared his name but we were refused entry, we waited outside for an hour in the rain and cold. then I took the photos.
It is a very interesting book, of Police Corruption at its best with Inspector Balmer, who beat me up in my house and got a conviction for the two men. Charles told me that Balmer was the only man to commit the Perfect murder, he got the State to kill them. There is another book coming out, about the Burns and Devlin Case, two young lads hanged for the murder of an old lady, set up by Balmer, George is trying to prove their innocence. another very interesting case to come out of Liverpool.
Brian

Jim Brady
28th October 2012, 01:07 PM
Gulliver,organised crime I think is quite different to what I was trying to define and as you say there are more people living in London than Liverpool so you would expect the figures to be higher but the figures that I quoted were a percentage of population ,per capita.I know a lad that has just been given 8 years for dealing in the drug trade in a big way,yes organised crime as the judge put it and a week has not gone by recently without scores of homes been raided multiple arrests and prosecutions with long term gaol terms being dished out.So how does organised crime affect the average citizen,not atall.These people have more money than the Pope so they are not likely to break into my house and steal my car.Most of them live in the affluent parts of Merseyside sending their kids to private school and keeping a low profile.The only thing organised crime does is turn some good kids into drug addicts and it is these at the bottom of the ladder in society that are likely to break into houses,shoplift and get upto any other scam to raise money to feed their drug habit.We have shootings here most weeks,once again these are all drug related gang against gang.I myself would like to see free guns and ammo being handed out to these gangs and let them kill each other.Someone will most probably remind me that a young innocent kid Rhys Jones was caught in the cross fire and killed.So Gulliver it is quite a safe place to live as the figures prove.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Capt Bill Davies
28th October 2012, 01:32 PM
I recommended Liverpool University to my son, he had passed for Cambridge and decided too many poofters there so he went to Liverpool Medical School on my advice and became a great Consultant of Liver Diseases and is well known on both sides of the Atlantic., he appears on TV some times talking on Liver diseases. He loves it.
Cheers
Brian.

There you go again Brian. Totally unnecessary and I am sure your son would distance himself from that comment.

Brgds

Bill

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 01:52 PM
Click this link for the number of famous people who came from Merseyside. Unfortunately I am not on it. maybe next time. There are hundreds. from GOOGLE.
.List of people from Merseyside - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.
wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Merseyside

Neville Roberts
28th October 2012, 01:56 PM
Hi Brian , I guess its good to have a son who knows about liver problems .did you recomend that line of work to save your liver :D

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 02:00 PM
There you go again Brian. Totally unnecessary and I am sure your son would distance himself from that comment.

Brgds

Bill
JUST SHOWING THAT LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY IS A GOOD IF NOT THE BEST UNIVERSITY IN ITS FIELD.
The Medical School is reckoned to be the best in the Country.
If he had gone else where he may not have done so well. No problem with that.
I was just boosting Liverpool`s Image.
It is not all gloom and doom in Liverpool, It does have its very good parts, not just crime and grime.
Brian.;

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 02:01 PM
neville
Hi Brian , I guess its good to have a son who knows about liver problems .did you recomend that line of work to save your liver
I sure did Neville.
I was in hospital with a Liver problem in July and given the all clear two weeks ago, my Consultant consulted my son. so I was in good hands.

Neville Roberts
28th October 2012, 02:02 PM
We have guns for sale to anyone even assault rifles here in the US . and 100,000 people here are killed each year by guns . I have 6 hand guns and one 50 calliber rifle that I collected . hope I never need them to protect the old homestead .:th_thth5952deef:

Neville Roberts
28th October 2012, 02:07 PM
I grew up on Romer road in Kensington Liverpool 6. once a good working class area ,I hear now its one of the worst places to live. I took a look around on the pc ,on (veiw of house )and there were a few ****** looking people on the street .

Calvin Kent
28th October 2012, 02:10 PM
I lived in Cambridge for nine years. Town not gown but can't say I noticed any more poofters there elsewhere. Biggest concentration would possibly have been MN.

Medicine - Top UK University Subject Tables and Rankings 2013 - Complete University Guide (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Medicine)

Regards
Calvin

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Calvin,
The rankins there are for 2012/3. even so the figures are not bad. Liverpool Uni is still good for education.
He was there 30 years ago so I guess things may have changed over the years.
Cheers
Brian.

Calvin Kent
28th October 2012, 02:20 PM
The difference in rankings between any of those in the top thirty is so small as to make no difference. Anyone who graduates through any of them is to be congratulated.

Regards
Calvin

Jim Brady
28th October 2012, 02:27 PM
Yes Neville Kensington (or Kenny as it was affectionitely known) was a great area to live at one time.Most of the big houses down there have now been converted into flats and yes many foreigners maybe mostly asylum seekers are now living in the area.I think some parts are still ok with residents associations striving to keep the area in good order.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Duke Drennan
28th October 2012, 03:23 PM
Outside of Glasgow, even with it's inherent problems, I still consider Liverpool as a second home and probably like most of us, because i sailed in and out of there so often. Many years ago when my sons were still toddlers and still living in Glasgow at the time, I took them on a vacation to Wales but stopped off in Liverpool to take them to Anfield and Goodison. I had to stop, at one point, to ask directions and the minute the lad I asked opened his mouth, I was immediately overwhelmed with nostalgia. The same thing happened when I went back about 3 years ago for the MN reunion. I stood by the waters edge at Pier Head for a long time followed by an extensive drive around the city. O.K you might say, nothing more than nostalgia, but if that's what makes me feel the way I do about Liverpool, then no-one can argue with my logic, it's mine. I love Liverpool and the Scousers, warts an all, just like Glasgow. I can't honestly say that about anywhere else in the world.

Gulliver
28th October 2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Captain Kong :- I recommended Liverpool University to my son, he had passed for Cambridge and decided too many poofters there so he went to Liverpool Medical School on my advice and became a great Consultant of Liver Diseases and is well known on both sides of the Atlantic., he appears on TV some times talking on Liver diseases. He loves it.
Cheers
Brian.

Well,I 'm sure that wouldn't be the final deciding criterion to take into account when considering whether to accept an Oxbridge Uni place or not,Brian? Perhaps he really just wanted his laundry done by Mum ,and be just a bit closer to the Bank of Dad? :D

Which reminds me,regarding those in this world of 'other' sexual persuasion,I was 'googling' Liberace the other night(as one does) :hair_raising: and came upon this gem....

In 1956, an article in the Daily Mirror by veteran columnist Cassandra (William Connor) mentioned that Liberace was "…the summit of sex—the pinnacle of masculine, feminine, and neuter. Everything that he, she, and it can ever want… a deadly, winking, sniggering, snuggling, chromium-plated, scent-impregnated, luminous, quivering, giggling, fruit-flavoured, mincing, ice-covered heap of mother love" , a description which did everything it could to imply he was homosexual without actually saying so!
(What a put-down that was !)

But......
Liberace sent back a telegram that read: "What you said hurt me very much. I cried all the way to the bank." 11259

Gulliver

Captain Kong
28th October 2012, 04:36 PM
Well,I 'm sure that wouldn't be the final deciding criterion to take into account when considering whether to accept an Oxbridge Uni place or not,Brian? Perhaps he really just wanted his laundry done by Mum ,and be just a bit closer to the Bank of Dad Gulliver.
. That could not be further from the truth Davey.
I brought him up single handed, no MUM to do his washing. He did not use my bank, He worked hard in vacation times at all kinds of jobs, even on building sites including some dangerous jobs, to earn money for term time. He certainly isnt a panzy. To survive in this life you have to be tough. That is what I taught him,., I brought him up to be a Man and stand on his own two feet. I only helped financially for certain fees and overheads that had to be paid in advance., Also I was at sea when the two lads were at school, four weeks on and four weeks off, I trained them to look after themselves and how to run the house, to cook, to dhoby and ironing, including safety , between them whilst I was away. They matured early because of my training.
Every tom dick and harry jumping on the bandwagon, all I was doing was complementing Liverpool`s Education system and how it gave my lad a good start in life. To show that Liverpool has a good side and not just slums, guns and crime. As per thread.
Brian.

Les Woodard
28th October 2012, 09:58 PM
This is starting to appeal to me to move to Liverpool now the way you are all depicting it. Can imagine how all those rag heads are going to view it when deciding on where to settle and get their snouts in the trough. Better than where I live because just to go shopping we have to get an armoured car to take us along with security personel for protection and shield us from snipers. Not a good place to come to for sure. Best think of heading to Liverpool mate.

Duke Drennan
28th October 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm sure that you're exaggerating a bit there Les, I can't believe the "sniper" comment.
Something else worth mentioning is that some of the best crews I sailed with were the scousers, followed closely by the Geordies. Glasgow and Leith crews being the worst ( for violence, that is).

Denis O'Shea
29th October 2012, 12:42 AM
Jim I agree with your sentiments, but unfortunately it has been the plastic scouse comedians who to further their careers have ridiculed their own city., then skinned out to become southeners Jim who have created this image of us who have stayed at home. Jim I am a member of St Helens RNA and next their annual conference is being in Liverpool
The Adelphi is now getting fully booked with at the present tine over 599 RNA members booked in. So next year there will be a service at the Cathedral and a march to the pier head led by a band of Royal Marines, There is also going to be parade to remember the battle of the atlantic. i will be attending so it might be a nice time to meet up.
Rgds Denis

Lou Barron
29th October 2012, 01:09 AM
A song i use to sing when i was on lookout Theres a spot upon the Mersey and im coming back to you dear Liverpool thats some of it it was always nice to sail up the Mersey and see those Liver Birds

Red Lead Ted
29th October 2012, 02:21 AM
We speak with an accent exceedingly rare stand under a statue exceedingly bere if you want a cathedral we got one to spare in my lpool home. We have had more number one songs in the pop charts since it began back in the the 50s than any place in the country. We host the longest and most trying horse race run the world over {Grand National} We were responsible for the first major rail link between Lpool and Manchester. Ferries, Transatlantic Steamships, Municiple Trams, Electric Trains ,and Hellicopter,s Were all pioneered in Lpool in transit ,The first underground train system was pioneered in Lpool. The pivotal battle of the Atlantic was being planned won and fought out of Lpool. The first lifeboat station was at Formby beach Lpool in Britain. I could go on all night and finish on this my beloved Liverpool Football Club is still the only shirt that has 5 stars on it ? Depicting 5 European winning championships or Champions Leagues. In the whole of the the uk and beyond. And dont forgett maggie May Lime St ?????????? Regards all Terry :)

happy daze john in oz
29th October 2012, 05:15 AM
Then of course for years Liverpool was known as the capital of Ireland, does that still apply or is it noiw more like the cpaital of Saudi ArabiaLOL

Captain Kong
29th October 2012, 09:06 AM
I`ve got,
Got what,
Those Liverpool Blues,
Blues I sure would hate to lose,
You can keep your New York and new Jersey
but theres a place on the River Mersey,
I`m coming back to you sweet Liverpool
and give me Sunday morning and the old salt fish
cos I`ve got those Liverpool Blues.

Hows That, I have forgotten most of the words.
Brian.

Jim Brady
29th October 2012, 09:24 AM
Denis,has this march got anything to do with the Battle of the Atlantic and year of the Convoys is it in May?Lou Barron hopes to come over to Liverpool next May and was asking me about some celebrations that will be taking place here but I know nothing of them but I did tell Lou that I would make enquiries.Does anyone else on here know about the year of the convoys,I did see it on here but did'nt read it and now I dont know what forum its under.
Regards.
Jim.B.

George
29th October 2012, 10:35 AM
Jim, I feel much of the time it has been your comedians that have unwhitingly given Your Fair City it's poor reputation with some of there jokes. Take Tom O'conner for instance with his docker jokes etc all good funny jokes but does it portray you lads in a poor light to outsiders. who know's. When Colin and I came up to Liverpool for our first meet up there, and my very first time to Liverpool, I was most impressed with the friendly and easy going nature of the general public when we caught the last train back to our hotel in Rainhill. I can think of many places I would have felt unsafe, but not there. Both Colin and I are hoping to come up to Liverpool next year to take in the sites of your City
George
in Southampton

Captain Kong
29th October 2012, 12:15 PM
Gents toilet in the Philharmonic Pub, Liverpool
. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!www.flickr.com/photos/54270613@N04/6795442707/Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
11 Jan 2012 – These toilets are a tourist attraction! The only Grade II listed toilets in the country! The marble, tiles, mosaics and even the cistern are so ornate ...
This is why Liverpool is great...............google.
The last time I was in the Philharmonic it was full of Japanese tourists taking photos.
.google.
.Images for Gents toilet in the Philharmonic Pub, Liverpool - Report imagesThank you for the feedback. Report another imagePlease report the offensive image. CancelDone
Gents toilet in the Philharmonic Pub, Liverpool | Flickr - Photo Sharing!www.flickr.com/photos/54270613@N04/6795442707/Cached.... 360 photos.
11 Jan 2012 – These toilets are a tourist attraction! The only Grade II listed toilets in the country! The marble, tiles, mosaics and even the cistern are so ornate ...

Red Lead Ted
29th October 2012, 03:00 PM
Be aware of regarding Shipping and Anfield Football ground everyone should read The book The Great Eastern, The greatest iron ship 2nd link. The SS Great Eastern is a fascinating tale of a remarkable ship. Take it from me you will have to finish the book you wont be able to put it down once started. Snippet's are available online Regards Terry.

Liverpool FC flagpole - phone snap | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thirteensteps/5678415863/)

S. S. "Great Eastern": The Greatest Iron Ship: Amazon.co.uk: George S. Emmerson: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/S-Great-Eastern-Greatest-Iron/dp/0715380540)

Jim Brady
29th October 2012, 03:54 PM
Lou Barron asked me to find out about this,and it could be of interest to others who maybe thinking about visiting Liverpool next year.This is from Keiths News From Tregenna,2013 Year Of The Convoy post10#.There is a letter on that post which is very interesting and it gives the dates for Liverpool as the 24th/27th May which I believe is a Bank Holiday.Anyone interested should go to Keiths posting.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
29th October 2012, 05:27 PM
thanks Jim. I hope to see Lou again when he arrives,
Cheers
Brian.

John Pruden
29th October 2012, 10:00 PM
i think i will ask ted if he wants to go it will be a good day out since i am tea total am i the driver{again}:p

Red Lead Ted
30th October 2012, 12:48 AM
I will go with you on one condition........... TAXI And i get you bladdered just for old times sake. It will do us both the world of good m8 between what we have had to put up with over the last few weeks. Hospital and medication sh*t it will relieve all our pain i assure you, you, up 4 it? or should i ask Barbara can you go and you ask Mal can i go and if they say no you arnt going do what we alway,s did go and have a ball :multilaughing::multilaughing: Terry.

Red Lead Ted
30th October 2012, 12:54 AM
Anyone know the significance the Antelope had on the wealth and history of our city Liverpool. Terry.:confused:

happy daze john in oz
30th October 2012, 04:56 AM
Liverpool, a city I have never visited but by the thrust of this thread it is a good city and one that the locals and visitors appear to be very proud of. With the economic and cultural climate in the way it is, it is pleasing to see such pride still abounds.

John Pruden
30th October 2012, 07:27 AM
john ask any seaman from Liverpool we may have visited some exotic places but seeing the royal liver buildings coming out of the mist on the Mersey and you know you are home. Liverpool is one family and like all families we don't always see eye to eye but we live with each other.:cool:jp

Chris Allman
30th October 2012, 10:32 AM
Anyone know the significance the Antelope had on the wealth and history of our city Liverpool. Terry.:confused:

It endowed the locals with the ability to outrun the Police or anyone else chasing them :grinsign:

Chris

John Pruden
30th October 2012, 11:19 AM
just a story on my travels i worked building offices in luton there were 10 people in the warehouse some had worked there for years loading delivery wagons with beer anyway we used the canteen with the workers i asked one if he was married with kids as you do he said yes and i have 3 kids the men working with him for 5 years did not even know he was married with kids nobody ever talked to each other i thought how sad to work like that may be that is the difference from north to south? we did bring every one together in just a few days?a scouser will mix with any colour creed and get on with them how many down south do not even know their next door neighbour??jp

Captain Kong
30th October 2012, 11:32 AM
I dont even know my next door neighbour up North here. He could be Mohamed, Ahmed or Ali,
I just call him `****`
Brian

Peter Trodden
30th October 2012, 01:49 PM
In last nights L-pool Echo,on the shipping page. We are joining other places with a --Max, ie, Panamax,Ozmax etc, Liverpools is called Gladamax. A.C.L. are building a bigger class of Box-Boat,G4 .45,000grt. will enter service in2015. Just the size(296m long) to fit in the Gladstone Lock.:rolleyes:
ttfn.Peter

Red Lead Ted
30th October 2012, 01:59 PM
It endowed the locals with the ability to outrun the Police or anyone else chasing them :grinsign:

Chris

I thought you would have come up with the answer m8 ;) Terry. She was the first ship to bring sugar from the West Indies creating what was then just Lyle's later to become Tate and Lyle's, And the capital of the u.k in sugar and all the spin offs pendleton's etc.. All subsidiary companies that grew with the introduction from the sailing ship Antelope. Just think Chris without her you would never have tasted your first arrow bar or enjoyed your first bag of :popcorn: at the flicks on a Saturday morning Regards Terry.:thumb_ship:

Capt Bill Davies
30th October 2012, 02:04 PM
In last nights L-pool Echo,on the shipping page. We are joining other places with a --Max, ie, Panamax,Ozmax etc, Liverpools is called Gladamax. A.C.L. are building a bigger class of Box-Boat,G4 .45,000grt. will enter service in2015. Just the size(296m long) to fit in the Gladstone Lock.:rolleyes:
ttfn.Peter

Peter,

I hope Peel have done their sums properly. Bristol has shelved it's plans following the prolonged and forecasted state of the box market.

Bill

Peter Trodden
30th October 2012, 04:35 PM
Well Bill,
according to Ian Higby.M.D. A.C.L. This new class G4 will be built at Hudong Shipyard Shanghai, with a capacity for 3,800 containers, Ro-Ro 764 trailers and 1,307 cars. The new Ships will have a radically altered design, all superstructure and bridge amidships. With a 35 day round trip and a 12 hours turnaround in L- pool,the future looks bright.:rolleyes:
ttfn.Peter.

Jim Brady
30th October 2012, 05:14 PM
Peter,does this now mean that the river side berth (Liverpool 2 as it was to be known) will now not go ahead?
Regards.
Jim.B.

Captain Kong
30th October 2012, 05:36 PM
according to Ian Higby.M.D. A.C.L. This new class G4 will be built at Hudong Shipyard Shanghai
It is a pity that they could not have been built in Lairds across the water.
Creating more work for Our shipbuilders and less money going into the Chinese coffers.
Then the future would look brighter for Merseyside.
Brian

Capt Bill Davies
30th October 2012, 06:01 PM
All good sentiments Brian but, two things I would offer.

1. Is this or previous UK Gov willing to subsidise the yard because they would not be competitive otherwise.
2. Do we have the skills at that yard? I know most will feel we do but do you not think that the skills will not be imported.

Try and put the Liverpool nostalgia/sentiment aside and look at it coldly.

Bill

John Pruden
30th October 2012, 07:04 PM
since we are in the EU why not have a shipyard in the EU that will build ships for our navy ?we can't because the pay scale we in this country are taxed to the hilt everything from housing to food is taxed we have fell on our own sword of course we can't compete with a worker who is paid say £10.00 per day in the far east.jp

Calvin Kent
30th October 2012, 07:29 PM
One of the many disparities I have trouble getting my head around. We have no end of expose programmes exhorting us not to buy Nike trainers as they are made in part by child labour, the NHS needs to have a re-think on their suppliers as scalpels et al start life in backstreet sweatshops with unhygienic conditions. When it comes to a British government awarding contracts UK firms don't get a look in because their bids are "not competitive". Do they really think when they give these contracts to China, India, etc they are not employing a whole sub-culture that would be totally illegal in any developed country.

It is still not too late for our British firms to re-establish some of the great industries successive governments have allowed to go to the wall. It only requires one government with balls and a loyal opposition that does not decry everything because it was not their idea and is willing to support the interests of the country ahead of party politics.

Regards
Calvin

Captain Kong
30th October 2012, 08:09 PM
The reason we do not build ships or manufacture anything in the UK anymore is because after WW2 men in suits and horn rimmed glasses in the UN thought up the New World Order, This meant sending Industries from wealthier countries to the third world countries to bring them up to the first world standards, It was a theory that hasnt happened yet, They are still third world countries and dragging us down to meet them.
Then in 1975, we signed up to the Lima Agreement. That meant that not only do we export jobs to the third world but also the people of the world can spread out into the more prosperous countries and so the whole world is now on the move and immigrants from the third world are now flooding into our countries because we can afford to give them all benefits.
The whole idea of all that was to do away with old fashioned borders and prevent another World War by having no need to invade other countries militarily.
It hasnt quite happened yet, some one some where will find an excuse to atttack some one.
So Welcome to the NEW WORLD ORDER.
Brian.

Calvin Kent
30th October 2012, 08:54 PM
I don't dispute the causes Brian but if we accept that things cannot be altered or undone then we may as well top ourselves now. One of the things that has surfaced consistently during my life has been hope but always with the realisation that hope can sometimes need a nudge. This nation needs that nudge. And soon.

Regards
Calvin

Jim Brady
30th October 2012, 10:08 PM
HITACHI WINS BID TO BUILD UPTO SIX UK NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS.
Regards.
Jim.B.

John Pruden
30th October 2012, 10:16 PM
One of the many disparities I have trouble getting my head around..............Calvin it could be that investors are British didn't Mr thatcher own land in Africa used for chemical waste to be dumped. most of our steel comes from India they bought out British steel we owned it but sold underneath us. its a dirty business politics?jp

Captain Kong
30th October 2012, 11:39 PM
HITACHI WINS BID TO BUILD UPTO SIX UK NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS
I think the Japanese have a good record of Nuclear Plants,. Didnt they have one nearly two years ago that went into Meltdown?
What is going to happen it that happens here?
Brian

Lou Barron
31st October 2012, 01:10 AM
I have started to make preparations to return to where my life as a merchant seaman started i am going back to the Mersey side not to live but just as a visit (any of my old girls friends around ) i just would like to see some of the places i use to know i know things will have changed now that i am on my own i thought it would be a could idea so be it

happy daze john in oz
31st October 2012, 05:36 AM
I dont even know my next door neighbour up North here. He could be Mohamed, Ahmed or Ali,
I just call him `****`
Brian

I know Brian, it can be very hard for the retiring shy type such as you. LOL

happy daze john in oz
31st October 2012, 05:39 AM
One of the many disparities I have trouble getting my head around...................

Calvin, if only it could be so, but as is the case here in Oz as well the wage cost of the average western worker puts us beyond the realms of possibility when it comes to tendering for such work.

Jim Brady
31st October 2012, 08:15 AM
Lou,if you read this can you please clear your private message box you have no room left.Just sent you a quite long pm but got knocked back "no space".PM re Liverpool hotel.
Regards.
Jim.

Calvin Kent
31st October 2012, 09:57 AM
Then perhaps we need to lower our expectations a little John. The Germans seem to have a strong economy with a good living standard. I personally think the British worker is equal if not superior, we just need to get a bit of pride back. Where I live a two bed house is on average £900 per month to rent, bottom end of £825 but not many of those about. I don't know what the benefit rates are but assume a couple with a child would get upwards of £100 per week plus other bits like poll tax rebate or whatever it's called now. That's paying someone £350 per week not to work. The problem with a benefit society is people don't think they are going to be earning £400-500 per week, they deduct that benefit and say "I'm not getting out of bed for £100-150 per week". The end result is there are immigrants only too happy to work for that and often a lot less. They spend the least amount possible with most of their earnings going back to country of origin so contribute little to the local economy. It's a lose lose situation for UK. If we don't start to generate some jobs soon there wont be enough paying into the pot to cover the outgoings. The alternative to doing nothing was laid out by Enoch Powell.

Regards
Calvin

Keith Tindell
31st October 2012, 10:44 AM
One of the main problems is housing benefit, landlords can ask silly money for lousy properties, and the benefit covers it. Why does no one from the social service inspect these properties, tell the landlord *we are not paying that unless its bought up to standard*, the housing benefit is just a cash cow. If the housing allowance is tightened up, rents will come down. They are just now talking about single people under 20 not being able to claim, they will have to share a property with others, and quite right too. KT

Captain Kong
31st October 2012, 10:58 AM
There was a programme on TV last night about food banks,
This one was in Coventry.
It followed about four people, One was a lady with five children the youngest only about one years old, Where are the fathers??? There never are any. must all be virgin births. She could have had a job but she would lose money, Better off on Benefits. SO WHAT ABOUT THE SYSTEM??? Is the Benefit System paying out too much money? or are wages too low? She was using the food bank.
Another one was a lady with a 15 year old lad and a baby a few months old, on Benefits again where are the fathers. ?
Then at the end the unemployed father of the baby turns up and moves in with her , They had the biggest flat screen TV I have ever seen. Must have cost hundreds. Also THREE Dogs, How much does it cost to feed three big dogs.? They were using the food bank for free food.
Another was a man, Darren, he said he was a Senior Manager and had been made redundant, and could not get enough Benefit to live on, So he was in the food bank every day. Then he was exposed, The Benefits Agency is taking him to court for Fraud, he was always in work as a van driver Courier and also claiming Benefits as an unemployed man. The man from the Food Bank accused him of taking over £500 of food from the food bank when he was a Benefit Cheat and working for wages.
There was a young girl there, she was on benefits and really trying to do something for herself. She was assisting in the food bank, she had been in Care in London and had left, she was quite good and spoke intelligently,
At the end she got a place in University and was making a career for herself.
So what does one make of all that. ????
Brian.

Tony Morcom
31st October 2012, 11:17 AM
One of the main problems is housing benefit, landlords can ask silly money for lousy properties, and the benefit covers it.If the housing allowance is tightened up, rents will come down.

Not strictly true Keith.Housing Benefit( or Local Housing Allowance as its now known) is now strictly capped. You can now only rent a property with the number of beds to which you are entitled, and then you get paid a flat rate regardless of how much you pay in rent. The rate is set by the local County Council. The rental prices have certainly not come down in North Somerset since this was introduced. I agree with you about the Councils being made more accountable for the state of rented properties though. However its a catch 22 situation because there simply are not enough rental properties at a reasonable price available unless everyone wants to live in a flat.

Ivan Cloherty
31st October 2012, 12:22 PM
On the theme of rented property, we were bombed out 3 times during the war and ended up in rented property in Hull. My parents never ever expected the landlord to do everything, we painted exterior and interior, we kids did the garden, kept the street clean. The only things the landlord did was electrics and plumbing if and when required which was rarely as we looked after the property as if it was our own and carried out all minor repair jobs, as did the majority of people in those days. After our experiences we were grateful to have somewhere to live. Hull suffered more than any other city in the war with it's housing stock over 87% of its housing council/private was affected by bomb damage of some sort, whether it be by direct hit or concussion. Now when you go on some private house estates, you can immediately tell the rented properties by the neglected state of the gardens as few give a damn.

At one time im my career I owned a small property purchased to rent out, which was going to supplement my old age pension, made the mistake of decorating it, outfitting it, landscaping garden etc as I would want to live in it. After two years of crap tenants, sold it, made no money on it, as cost me more to renovate than the reasonable rents I had charged. Was called out if a washer needed changing or a fuse blown (all they had to do was push the bluddy button back in) and other nonesense. That was my only venture in purchase to let, it was enough.

The landlord is not always the bad guy, there are some undesirable tenants out there and that is why rents are high to pay for the renovations when they have left.

Keith Tindell
31st October 2012, 01:30 PM
I know a guy from here who has become the executor of a small flat in London when his uncle died. He thought he would rent it out until he could sell it in these difficult times. When he had the rental agent round to give him an idea on how much rent he could expect, he was told £650 per month, unless you want to take in DSS, then you can get £850 per month, the trouble is, he said, the DSS are told stop paying the rent, that will put you top of the housing list when you are evictedKT

Captain Kong
31st October 2012, 03:03 PM
My Relative had a big beautiful detached five bed roomed house in the New Forest, His Company transferred him to the Channel Islands for three years, so he rented his home to a wealthy Swiss business man and his family,
When his time was up and he arrived home to find his home destroyed, his wife could not even go into the house, The Raiators were torn off the walls and the house flooded, there was **** and graffiti all over the walls, and full of garbage and all kinds of rubbish. Completly trashed. It cost him a fortune to have it cleaned and partialy rebuilt.
Never again, they had to live in a hotel for a few months until they could buy a new house.
So that is why rentals are expensive.
Brian.