PDA

View Full Version : 161: Moby -Dick ?

Keith at Tregenna
18th October 2012, 10:59 PM
A tribute to Melville's best known work coincides with the 161st anniversary of the novel's first publication in Britain in 1851.

Melville's masterpiece is narrated by the sailor Ishmael, telling of his voyage on the whaling ship the Pequod, under Captain Ahab. Ishmael soon discovers that Ahab has one purpose on his voyage, to seek revenge on the ferocious sperm whale, Moby-Dick, who bit off his leg.

Through the journey of the main characters, the concepts of class and social status, good and evil, and the existence of God are all examined as the main characters speculate upon their personal beliefs and their places in the universe.

Worth a mention ?

K.

Captain Kong
19th October 2012, 07:50 AM
I was on the `PEQUOD`.............
.The ship in the movie `Moby Dick` the Pequod, was moored in Morecambe in 1962. we had just arrived in Heysham from the Gulf on the Clutha River, a Houlders tanker. It was June 62 on a hot summers day, six of us had been ashore in Morecambe had a few bevies and there was the Pequod in front of us. We al decided to go on board and leap aloft. so we did. We were out on the yards singing, down below was the staff shouting to us to come down, Then they sent for the Police they were shouting, we were calling back , `Come and get us`, A big crowd of holiday makers assembled to watch us, Then a voice shouted out that we recognised, it was our Captain, we came down, he said he would see us later on board our ship, He had a word with the Police and we were let off. It was our first day ashore in four months. The Captain had us logged for being adrift, we should have been working at the time.
The following day we took the Clutha River to dry dock in Falmouth then paid off.
I also heard that around that time Moby Dick himself was adrift in the Irish Sea, a radio message to all ships a whale is adrift and a navigation hazard.
Thanks for the memory Keith.
Cheers
Brian.

Gulliver
19th October 2012, 08:52 AM
Brian,Being like yourself a North West man,I remember the ‘Moby Dick‘ in Morecambe,and being taken to see her as a youngster-that must also have been about 1961-62.
Your post brought back memories because there are long-lost black & white photos knocking around various family members albums somewhere.I completely forgot about the Moby ,not even realising also she was destroyed by fire in 72.An arsonist I would imagine. Also good to hear she was originally built locally at Glasson Dock.

Thanks for the memory!
Gulliver

MOBY DICK
was built at Glasson Dock, and registered at the Port of Lancaster in 1887 as the Ryelands. She was acquired by the film industry, and in 1950 appeared in Treasure Island. In 1954 was purchased by Elstree Pictures Ltd for her part as the Pequod in Moby Dick.
She returned to Glasson Dock in 1960 and was moored in Morecambe, opposite Brucciani's, it was a popular attraction for visitors to Morecambe. Sadly she was destroyed in minutes by a fire in 1972, disappearing in a heartbreaking flame of glory. The fame and fortune she had enjoyed sailing the high seas for over 83 years had come to an end.

The attached Picture is a modern take on the 'Moby Dick ! 11149

Jim Brady
19th October 2012, 10:05 AM
This guy said to his mate,I went to see that film last night Moby Dick his mate said I cant stand them sex films.The guy said its not a sex film its about whales, to which his mate replied I cant stand the bleddy Welsh neither.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Peter Trodden
19th October 2012, 10:55 AM
Keith,
try and get hold of a book titled "The Essex" The true story of a Nantucket Whaler that was sunk in the Pacific Ocean,after being rammed by a Large whale. The story starts with the sinking of their ship (The Essex) and what happen to the various crewmen in the Lifeboats,a harrowing tale indeed. Unlike the movie that ends with the sinking of the Pequod.
Melville is supposed to have based his novel,Moby Dick on this incident.
ttfn.Peter.

Duke Drennan
19th October 2012, 04:16 PM
This guy said to his mate,I went to see that film last night Moby Dick his mate said I cant stand them sex films.The guy said its not a sex film its about whales, to which his mate replied I cant stand the bleddy Welsh neither.
Regards.
Jim.B.

I thought "Moby Dick" was an STD, Jim.

Gulliver
19th October 2012, 04:30 PM
I thought "Moby Dick" was an STD, Jim.

And I remember when an STD was a telephone call you made without operator assistance.Oh the innocence !

11151-Well and Truly !

happy daze john in oz
20th October 2012, 06:19 AM
.Oh the innocence !

11151-Well and Truly !
[/QUOTE]

Where did you ever find that me lad?????

john sutton
20th October 2012, 06:26 AM
For anyone that sailed out of manchester in thje 50,sthey may remember Bill Avril who was in the film and can be seen easiest as a crew member of the long boat
john sutton

Evan Lewis
21st October 2012, 12:16 AM
Ahabs revenge may have been achieved ,had He been round in this Day and Age.

Just Google , MIGALOO.
Cheers!