PDA

View Full Version : GREENGAGE JAM.

Captain Kong
18th October 2012, 11:09 AM
Does anyone remember GREENGAGE JAM, In the 50s the only jam the Sailors and Firemen had in their mess rooms was Greengage Jam, Officers had Strawberry Jam. I was always in their pantry during the 12 to 4 watch at night nicking a jar.
All we had was a SEVEN POUND tin of Greegage Jam.
Sometimes it came in useful, I once sank a Mamio`s Canoe with one when she was doing Flash for Dash in Sapele Creek, It went through the bottom of her canoe like a cannon ball, She cursed me with the Ju-Ju Man, a week later I fell off the mast and broke two legs and my right arm.
I was broke in Montreal, I went to the Mission and they had free Bingo, I won the Jackpot.
A SEVEN POUND TIN of Greengage Jam which is now lying on the bottom of the Belle Isle Straits.
For years I have searched all the Supermarkets and individual Grocers shops for Greengage Jam with no success. Cannot buy it anywhere.
About five years ago a friend found a jar in a Craft shop in North Wales and bought it for me. It was delicious.
Then for five years, nothing, Today another friend called who had been to Tatton Park Stately Home. and the Craft shop there had some.
I have just had some on toast, it was again delicious.
Does anyone else have problems with buying it??
Cheers
Brian.

Colin Pook
18th October 2012, 01:50 PM
Try Tesco's. Saw it in there a week ago, in a jar of course. And yes, I do remember the tins on the mess room table.
Regards
Colin.

Neville Roberts
18th October 2012, 01:51 PM
I remember it but dont remember what it was made of . greengages what are they ,and I was in caterering :confused:

Chris Allman
18th October 2012, 02:21 PM
Here you are Brian enjoy

Chris.

John Albert Evans
18th October 2012, 02:32 PM
Blimmey I'd forgotton all about Greengage Jam until I read this thread.
We used to have those huge tins of it for the Crew Mess. It wasn't liked very much but I do remember selling it for rum up in the Maracibo Lakes.
Wow what a blast from the past:)

John Albert Evans

Duke Drennan
18th October 2012, 03:49 PM
Forget the greengage jam, I'm sure that none of us liked it. You cannae beat a thick slice of bread and a heavy layer of connie-onnie, I still have it today.

Bob Hollis
18th October 2012, 03:53 PM
Certainly do remember the huge tins and not many would eat it. Greengage is a type of plum greenish yellow when ripe and very sweet. We had two trees in the garden of our last house and here our neighbour has a tree and told us to help ourselves. They are so good.

Frederick Lacey
18th October 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Brian,

You can get it in most Supermarkets, where they sell Wilkins & Sons Jam.

www.tiptree.com

Primefood Delicatssen - Home (http://www.primefood.co.uk)

Fred.

Tony Morcom
18th October 2012, 08:32 PM
I remember greengage jam was a firm favourite for my grandparents but haven't see or tasted it for years. Must hunt some down.

Doc Vernon
18th October 2012, 08:45 PM
Hi Capt
Cant say that i recall Greengage Jam at Sea well not in our Crew Quaters i do recall it being used at the Breakfast Servings though ,however i do also remember having it at Home ,as it was a nice sweet Jam and we also used to get what they called Greengage Jelly Jam,it was Yummy as well!
I too havent seen it for many Years now,but also must look here to see if they may sell it!
As said that is a blast from our past!
Cheers

Kenneth Kenny
18th October 2012, 09:42 PM
They called it Gose Gog's Jam at sea,horrible stuff,a tin lasted all trip,eight week's,Chief Steward and Second Steward favourite,in Ellerman and Papayanni ships,for the crew.R634898.Ken.

Jim Brady
18th October 2012, 09:59 PM
I know it was part of the crew issue but I did'nt know anybody ever ate it.What Ken Kenny is saying we always called them Goose gogs so inactual fact the jam was made from gooseberries.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Doc Vernon
18th October 2012, 10:41 PM
Ah Jim
Yes indeed it was the old Gooseberry Jam (Cape Gooseberry)11142,it was my Mums favourite Jam,and i too loved it,now you have put light on the subject,yes we do get good old Gooseberry Jam here as well.!
Dont know why you didnt like it,but then we al have our own tastes!
Today Gooseberry Jam is one of quite a few Jams that are on the Elite listing!
Yummy !!
Cheers

Greengage Jam was i think a different type ? The Gooseberry resembles the Tomato Jam but lighter in colour! And yes i also love Tomato Jam ! Yummy too!!11143 Gooseberries look like small Tomatoes!

Trader
18th October 2012, 10:50 PM
The only jam we ever got in Blue Funnel. The cockroaches loved it.

Alec.

David Williams
18th October 2012, 10:53 PM
Hi Brian.
I cant say that I have ever eaten Greengage Jam,
But I love these more than other fruit,and eat more
than my fair share.Two of my friends have Greengage
trees in their garden and they keep me well stocked.
Dave Williams

Lou Barron
19th October 2012, 12:15 AM
Yes i remember that jam on DofB that what we got on the boys table the ABsgot the good jam i remember going over to the ABs table and reaching for the plum jam and getting my hand smacked

happy daze john in oz
19th October 2012, 05:12 AM
Vernon I am not sure if I want to come to your house for dinner. Gooseberies look like small tomatoes!!!!!!! I have never tried gooseberry soup, I think the fur on them might put me off!

Gulliver
19th October 2012, 02:42 PM
I remember greengage jam was a firm favourite for my grandparents but haven't see or tasted it for years. Must hunt some down.

Well Tony,I've heard of it of course,but I've never tasted it.I'm 60-so maybe I should put it on my 'Bucket List'. !
Does it taste like Goosegog,or can anybody exactly describe the taste for me? As Capt.Kong says it sounds delicious on toast.

I see TESCO have it HERE (http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261455350), so I'm sorely tempted to try it next time I'm in the in the big city.
I could surreptitiously break the lid seal then stick my dirty great digit in,lick it,then if I didn't like it just stick it back on the shelf !:hair_raising:,as one does...NOT! :)

Captain Kong
19th October 2012, 04:10 PM
Here is my new Jar of Greengage Jam, I hated it when I was at sea but this is really delicious.
Cheers
Brian

Tony Morcom
19th October 2012, 05:01 PM
Wonder if Tesco will give us a discount for bulk purchase?

John Arton
19th October 2012, 05:18 PM
As a young kid my mother always told me that she found me under a gooseberry bush.
At the time we had them growing wild in the garden and I used to spend hours crawling through the prickly bushes stuffing my face with them whilst looking for another brother to replace the one I had as we were always arguing and fighting with each other.
Never found another bro. but got a love of gooseberries that stays to this day.
As for greengage we used to be given homemade greengage jam by and old lady who lived near us and who made loads of home made jams, strawberry,raspberry, red currant etc.
Nowadays the only gooseberry I get is when I play gooseberry to youngest daughter when she brings her boyfriend around.
rgds
JA

Captain Kong
19th October 2012, 08:41 PM
Greengages............ from Wikipedia..
Description
Greengage fruit are identified by their round-oval shape and smooth-textured, pale green flesh; they are on average smaller than round plums but larger than mirabelle plums (usually between 2 and 4 cm diameter). The skin ranges in colour from green to yellowish, with a pale blue "blush" in some cultivars; a few Reine Claudes such as 'Graf Althanns' , are reddish-purple due to crossbreeding with other plums. Greengages are grown in temperate areas and are known for the rich, confectionery flavour. They are considered to be among the finest dessert plums.

[edit] History and etymologySources attribute the origin of the name "greengage" variably to several members of the Gage family. One account states the cultivar was brought into England by the Rev. John Gage, who obtained them from the Chartreuse Monastery.[2] "Green Gages" were imported into England from France in 1724 by Sir William Gage, 7th Baronet, from whom they get their English name.[3] Allegedly, the labels identifying the French plum trees were lost in transit to Gage's home in Bury St. Edmunds. Soon after, greengages were cultivated in the American colonies, even being grown on the plantations of American presidents George Washington (17321799) and Thomas Jefferson (17431826). However, their cultivation in North America has declined significantly since the 18th century.

The name Reine Claude (French for "Queen Claude"), by which they are known in France, is in honour of Claude (14991524), the Duchess of Brittany, who became the queen consort of King Francis I of France (14941547). Greengages are also called la bonne reine (French for "the good Queen") in France.[

Tony Wilding
20th October 2012, 03:51 AM
Not really ever been a Jam lover, apart from Black Current Jelly Jam, i found the Tinned Greengage Jam pretty tasteless, used to nick the Jars from the Pantry, but ripe fresh Greengages are delicious, dont see them for sale.have some strange fruits here in Philippines, Jackfruit, smells foul, but nice, when i was a boy living in Kent we had an Orchard of many kinds of fruit trees, Victoria Plum, Greengage, Cherry Apple And Pears, and one unusual Mulberry Tree, lots o Dessert Gooseberry Bushes.

Gulliver
20th October 2012, 07:22 AM
Wonder if Tesco will give us a discount for bulk purchase?

Tony,I think just by us googling' greengage jam on Tesco that Tesco HQ(Headquarters) have alerted every Tesco store in the country of an impending Greengage 'rush'.
You know Tesco-never miss an opportunity !:LolLolLolLol: (LOL = Laugh Out Loud.)

Gulliver;)

Frederick Lacey
20th October 2012, 09:13 AM
Would you believe it. ??

Went shopping yesterday to both Morrisons and Tesco's, searched through the Jam shelves. NO GREENGAGE. !!!!!

Frederick Lacey
19th April 2013, 07:57 PM
Back to the good old Greengage Jam, went to Tom's Farm Shop at Great Totham in Essex and Perrywood Nurseries in Tiptree Essex today,
loadS of Greengage Jam on the shelves, bought a couple of jars.....Delicious......reactivated the taste buds.

Fred.

Robert T. Bush
19th April 2013, 11:16 PM
Anyone remember Battleaxe Jam in cans made in Wishaw. BTC loved it, the Apricot flavour was made from sliced carrots. Not very good.

happy daze john in oz
20th April 2013, 05:25 AM
Would you believe it. ??

Went shopping yesterday to both Morrisons and Tesco's, searched through the Jam shelves. NO GREENGAGE. !!!!!

No guage for the greens? Does the EU know about this/

happy daze john in oz
20th April 2013, 05:26 AM
[QUOTE=Robert T. Bush;124077]Anyone remember Battleaxe Jam

Did they use this to chop the bread with.

Frederick Lacey
4th February 2015, 04:18 PM
Being as Greengage Jam is being mentioned again, brought this thread back for all those who might have missed it.!!!!!!!! Fred.

cappy
4th February 2015, 04:25 PM
looking back fred sad to see tony wildings name.on the comments

gray_marian
4th February 2015, 05:37 PM
I think that too Cappy and also TTFN Peter Trodden

David Williams
4th February 2015, 05:55 PM
Hi Brian.
I clicked onto Tesco out of curiosity,and they
have it on sale.
Dave Williams

- - - Updated - - -

They are a variety of plum.
Dave Williams

Red Lead Ted
5th February 2015, 12:30 AM
Would you believe it. ??

Fred I checked out 3 local shops today,
Ramjams, 6am till 12pm,
Aafia, 8 till late,
Aaban, midnight convenience store, I got offered everything from chucky egg to Shiny Vatches, For the childrens, JAM!!!!!!! I said I actually got offered a bloody rubber door stop. :cripes:

Charlie Hannah
5th February 2015, 01:53 AM
I haven't seen Greengage Jam since i was on the home boats,must have a look see if i can get some used to love it.

cappy
5th February 2015, 03:13 PM
###happy days are here again .......we are back on line .......the beloved ses i have been nattering all day ......go and argue with tha bloke in liverpool she said......its like being marrooned .....when the site goes down......regards cappy

Jim Brady
5th February 2015, 03:22 PM
Lucky for me I left for the hostpital at 8am, in half an hour and site back on.I was thinking cappy would be suffering withdrawal symptons and worrying about me.
Regards.
Jim.B.

cappy
5th February 2015, 03:28 PM
your right jim all i could think about is where am i without the BENEFITS .of the site regards cappy