PDA

View Full Version : landlubbers

j.sabourn
16th October 2012, 12:13 AM
I hope all this cruise excitement re. the general public has given them a little knowledge of the ways and systems of which a ship is run. Before cruising became a national phenomona, the average persons knowledge of a ship appeared to be sadly lacking. How many can remember being asked what do you do at night, do you drop the anchor? There were other stupid questions that the average landlubber used to ask, but are probably too stupid to bring to mind. Maybe it is this lack of knowledge of shipping in general that produces this lethargic attitude when querys like the Arctic medal are brought up. This also applies to our politicians, a lack of understanding of shipping in general among other subjects of course. I hope at least that the re advent of cruising may bring back to the non seafarers a reminder of what ships are about, and what at one time what a great seafaring nation the uk used to be. Most of our present prosperity came from the sea and the more people are reminded of this the better. So the more ordinary people cruising the better. Regards John Sabourn.

Les Woodard
16th October 2012, 02:45 AM
So true if they where to actually get on a ship and not a floating hotel like the modern ones are. Not knocking your post mate just that it sounds like you are thinking of when ships where ships. Can not really comment because would not go on one of them if given a free cruise. To me the their are two differences between a cruise ship and a hotel. One, It moves but you can not on a cruise. Two, you move but the hotel does not if it is a crap one.

j.sabourn
16th October 2012, 04:52 AM
Can also think of better ways to travel than a cruise ship. To the average punter is a great adventure and must to some be a very adequate way of holidaying. They all have imaginations and can put their own thoughts to work. Cheers John Sabourn.

Jim Brady
16th October 2012, 07:08 AM
John,talking of stupid questions you would be amazed at some of the questions passengers asked at the Pursers Bureau.I remember when I was on the Emp.Of France one clown wanted to know why there was'nt a snooker table on board,imagine a snooker table on the Western Ocean.
Regards.
Jim.B.

Ivan Cloherty
16th October 2012, 07:50 AM
Actual conversation twixt passenger and cadet (PSNC) not me

Pass "what's that thing on top of the mast called?"
Cdt "it's called a 'truck' madam"
Pass "what use is it?"
Cdt "It prevents water getting into the wooden topmast and prevents it splitting"
Pass " I don't believe you, what's it really for?"
Cdt " actually it's what we collect seagull **** in before we wheel it away"

The cadet was made to apologise to the woman, but the woman wasn't made to apologise for her stupidity

Captain Kong
16th October 2012, 08:11 AM
In the 1940s I told an old lady , I wanted to join the Merchant Navy when I left school,
She said, quote, "What do you want to do that for? only thieves and murderers join that"
I never forgot those words. it was just after the end of WW2. So even then, no one ashore knew what all the Sacrifices were for, if any. I still think of it.
Brian.
. PS, I enjoy cruising , after a lifetime at sea, BUT, I choose my ships wisely, with cruising I can get to see a lot of old mates around the planet.#I am off today to book a Holland America ship, STATENDAM, a well founded ship, with British and Dutch Officers and Masters, registered in Rotterdam, Dutch Flag. Next February.
1200 Bloods, Not a BIG block of flats with 5000 punters on.
It will take me to see Eddie Tom in Rarotonga, Cook Islands, to see Stanley, Elaina, and Manuraii Young in Tahiti, they are direct decendents of Mr Midshipman Edward Young, who took a Tahitian bride to Pitcairns Island after the Mutiny on the Bounty, Also to see Rico in Bora Bora and Tiko and Fifi in Moorea.
How else is it possible to visit these friends if I dont go cruising. ??????
This year, cruising let me have a few drinks with some good mates on this site,... John Adamson, in Long Beach on the old Queen Mary. Lou Barron in Dunedin, John and Neil in Melbourne, Vernon, Roger and Joe Doyle in Sydney, my old mate, Joe Finnegan, off the Empress of Scotland and Franconia in the 50s , in Perth. and so on.
Cruising allows me to do all this, It is cheaper than flying it, more comfortable and more enjoyable.
Now how could I do that if I sat in a hotel everyday?????
For a holiday I could go to Benidorm, or Majorca with all the British Lager louts, or freeze my goolies off in Blackpool,
Give me selective cruising anytime. Also you dont get mugged going back to the cabin after a night in the Bars.
Cheers
Brian

j.sabourn
16th October 2012, 08:20 AM
Send us an email if you call in at Fremantle Brian. The most cruising I do is on the canals at Mandurah and only then under sufferance. Regards John Sabourn

Captain Kong
16th October 2012, 08:26 AM
Hi John, I was in Perth and Freeo, and Rockingham in March this year for two weeks after leaving QE, before taking off for Albany, Esperence, Norseman, Kalgoorlie, and back. This time the cruise ship just does the Pacific Islands for 30 days . San Diego to San Diego, I did the same cruise last year.
I usually try to do it every two years alternating.
But will do,
Cheers
Brian.

Gulliver
16th October 2012, 09:12 AM
My 'very blonde' cousin,Chrissie worked in Hong Kong.When first visiting me at Kowloon container terminal she was amazed at 'all those TINS we carried on the ship'.Of course she also thought we stopped the ship during hours of darkness,and that the Captain was the only one who constantly conned the ship.Bless her !

Gulliver

Peter Trodden
16th October 2012, 10:14 AM
In the mid 60s I took my new wife to the Isle of Man for a week. Half way across on a nice calm day and all the passengers on deck,we stood among a crowd on the after deck looking at the ships wake,when my wife noticed the ships Log Line streamed and spinning Whats that for ? she asked. So I said to her, when we get off in Douglas and the ship has to return to Liverpool they move that Line onto the pointy end,the Bow, and follow it back to L-pool, that way they wont get lost. My jocular explanation must have been overheard 'cos I could hear men explaning to their Families the reason ships can sail at night and in Fog without getting lost.:th_thth5952deef:
ttfn.Peter.

Rocky
16th October 2012, 10:47 AM
A friends lad asked me what it was i did at sea so gave a brief description about life as an ab when i asked him why he said he wanted to do the same thing and was going to apply for the royal navy out on deck but reading the booklets noticed you get extra cash on subs so said he would do it there :p just wondering how long he can hold his breath for

Our future is in the hands of these guys

happy daze john in oz
16th October 2012, 11:33 AM
.. Two, you move but the hotel does not if it is a crap one.[/QUOTE]

All depends which bar you spend the night in. LOL

happy daze john in oz
16th October 2012, 11:39 AM
There is a published list of stupid questions asked by bloods on cruise ships.

Is the water in the toilet bowl fresh?

Do the crew sleep ashore at night?

How does the ship get electricity so far from shore?

What happens to the ice models when they melt?

How do the crew know when to get up in the morning if it is still dark?

These and many other equaly stupid questions are asked just about every day.

Captain Kong
16th October 2012, 12:02 PM
I was QM on the old FRANCONIA in 1956, I was on the wheel in the middle of the Western Ocean. steering by magnetic compass. no gyro.
A few passengers were being shown around the wheel house by Captain Donald Murdo McClean DSO.
A man stood in front of the Binnacle by the wheelhouse window. His wife shouted to him, "Get out of the way,
the poor Sailor cannot see where we are going" then she pulled him to one side.
I thanked her and said `I was nearly lost then, I can see now`.
They must have realy believed I was steering visually.
Brian.

John Arton
16th October 2012, 01:08 PM
A pal of mine was on one of the smaller passenger ship that cost a bomb to go on. On this cruise they were due to Visit London, actually going up into the Pool of London and they had to anchor off Southend awaiting the tide.
After an hour or so an irate american came onto the bridge (passengers were allowed on the bridge at all times in this outfit) demanding to know why the ship was not moving. Explaining that they were waiting for the tide was not good enough for the pasenger who then started off shouting that there was something wrong with the ship, it was sinking, there were terorists on board, pirates you name it he was saying it. Eventually to calm him down my mate said that as long as he did not pass the info on he would tell him the reason why they were anchored. Our American passenger listened with bated breath as my mate told him:
"At present there were divers down at the bottom of the ship changing the plug for the electrical supply for the ship as the U.K. used different plug sizes to those in other countries and the electric cable from the power station to the ship they had towing behind them would need changing because of this different plug type and that they were doing it at night time so as when the lights went out when they unplugged and plugged in the power cable to the new fitting, all the passengers would be asleep and so would not know about it".
The American guy went off with a smug grin on his face, saying he knew there was something wrong but now he knew the reason he could sleep happily.
Best one I have heard since I was on the Empress boats where we had some amazing stories about telling passengers all sorts of B.S. and they believing it.
Best thing about the above is that the pal who told me it, is German, so who says the Germans have no humour.
rgds
JA

Kenneth Kenny
16th October 2012, 07:46 PM
Working down the Lower hold at Harrison ship at the Canada dock in Liverpool in 1978,loading general cargo.The Ships boss Peter Mallan,told us to get up and put the hatch boards on the top deck,cover up.Sent in Steel plates to cover the hatch boards.Then we put four cars in the wings under the Comans.Sent the plates out to the quay,and took the hatch boards off and went back down the lower hold to work cargo.Anyway knocked off to go for our dinner at noon,climbing up the ladder,and Yorkshire wagon driver shouts hay Lad how did you get cars on shelf,that's how Yorkshire people speak.On the deck he said to the gang first time on a big boat,we told him it was a ship,and how we got the cars in the wings,he said no lad It's shelf,said to him please your SHELF.Ken.

Red Lead Ted
7th November 2012, 12:36 AM
I lived a stones throw from the Gladstone in 1970 before my family moved a few streets away. I done a 12 month trip on the M.V. EUCADIA {Anchor boat} After paying off i went home knocked on the door only for a stranger to tell me they had moved 3 months ago, :eyes: Before i went and found out where i was living we had a guy 2 doors away who worked the same years as you did he was in the shore gang T@J Harrison's, It was a pity i never really got the chance to have a conversation with him because of the move, I then went on to join Harrison's and stayed with them for a few years our paths must have crossed at sometime. However always regretted never having a chat with the guy who was a former bosun with Harrison's all i knew was he came from seaforth and his name was John ?. Another guy you may or may not remember Stan Duval, A real mans man bosun, Stan sadly topped himself way back for reasons known only to himself. Me and John Prudens brother Freddy who lived a few doors from me were the only 2 people in the street the day Stan was found by his misses and we both had the task of cutting him down from the ceiling. Did you know either Regards Ken Terry. ;)....................... p.s before anyone tells me i was an unucky bugger ? I only ever found one wage packet in my life and he had only worked a 2 day week Terry. :eek: